• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Ice Monkey said:
well i have a set plan i go through, it just takes up a lot of space. what were you suggesting movie maker for? converting to a diff format?

I usually go fraps-vdub-mediacoder-tada youtube format.
Ya cuz Windows Movie Maker can cover to Youtube Format and upload I believe.

Trying to get me and Ice Monkey's tourney game going, he's wondering though what the rules are for disconnects since he has had instances of his graphics card failing numerous times in a row?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Ice Monkey said:
christ, i knew i shouldnt have agreed to this :) the first match of coolio and cheeto is now in fraps' redonkulous format, 47.4 GB of files I now have to convert o_O
camtasia friendo. :p niiiiice and small. once did a 2 hour photoshop tutorial, it was 600mb before touching it.

clav

Somehow, the only three maps in my matchmaking 2v2 rotation are:

1. Metropolis
2. Lost Temple
3. Twilight Fortress

What happened to Kulas Ravine and Shakuras Plateau? I can play them in custom games, but not in matchmaking?

I didn't veto any maps either.

Zzoram

claviertekky said:
Somehow, the only three maps in my matchmaking 2v2 rotation are:

1. Metropolis
2. Lost Temple
3. Twilight Fortress

What happened to Kulas Ravine and Shakuras Plateau? I can play them in custom games, but not in matchmaking?

I didn't veto any maps either.

The ladder reset removed them from the 2v2 pool of ladder maps. I'm not sure why.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
MisterAnderson said:
Trying to get me and Ice Monkey's tourney game going, he's wondering though what the rules are for disconnects since he has had instances of his graphics card failing numerous times in a row?

Redo the match if there's a diconnect, unless it's clear who the eventual winner would have been.

fanboi

Banned
So was playing 1on1 yesterday... and was trying to improve my midgame... and endgame.. since I suck at it.

He harassed me with banshees (post patch!) so I'm thinking, lets load my 15 hydras in a Nydus worm and go apeshit.

Loadem up, was going to place the worm, but I didn't have vision. Moved a overseer, place the worm... oh, 15 gas only... waiting.

*YOUR BASE IS UNDER ATTACK*

*Checks*

Nydus network goes down...

*gg*

LaneDS

Any tips for a Protoss player against MMM + siege tanks? Because it is consistently raping me. Granted, I'm not very good at the game yet, or anywhere close to it, but I'm not even coming close to countering this stuff.

AcridMeat

Banned
Well, just got wrecked by a zerg rush for the first time. :(

Next game after that protoss probe came in and built refineries on my vespene gas, since this was literally right after we started.

I've also tried going mmm, but I think I'm just not fast enough at building. :(

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Ice Monkey said:
christ, i knew i shouldnt have agreed to this :) the first match of coolio and cheeto is now in fraps' redonkulous format, 47.4 GB of files I now have to convert o_O
:lol It sucks
I use Aiseesoft MTS Converter that I bought for my HD PVR videos, still annoying though.

pedr0theli0n

Neo Member
LaneDS said:
Any tips for a Protoss player against MMM + siege tanks? Because it is consistently raping me. Granted, I'm not very good at the game yet, or anywhere close to it, but I'm not even coming close to countering this stuff.

im a terran player, not a protoss player, and I usually beat protoss. but ive gotten owned by some dark templar before. a dt rush can definitely catch a terran player off guard. they might have energy for one scan, but thats likely all the detection they have. might wanna give it a try.

also high templar are an extremely underused counter to mmm, just make sure to keep them out of range of ghosts if they have them (which theyd be really dumb not to)

LaneDS

pedr0theli0n said:
im a terran player, not a protoss player, and I usually beat protoss. but ive gotten owned by some dark templar before. a dt rush can definitely catch a terran player off guard. they might have energy for one scan, but thats likely all the detection they have. might wanna give it a try.

also high templar are an extremely underused counter to mmm, just make sure to keep them out of range of ghosts if they have them (which theyd be really dumb not to)

Both are good tips, thanks. Hadn't considered DTs, and seeing as how they're usually in my base messing me up, I can't see them having much detection outside of that one scan as you said. As for HT, I might try that down the line. Only just starting to get accustomed to using sentries as casters (which makes me feel awesome when I properly place a force field), once I'm a bit better I'll try that route.

ZealousD

Ice Monkey said:
thems were some good matches, but i am unfortunately OUT of the tourney! pyrogx triumph over operation!

No you're not. It's double elim.

clav

LaneDS said:
If a terran is pumping that much gas heavy units in your base that doesn't include ghosts and ravens, you can only hard counter this teching to high templars psi-storms, lots of immortals, or using some sentry hallucination micro to summon fake units to take on the damage while the real army is doing the damage. You can summon a hallucinated colossus to take on initial damage and then use the rest of the magic for shield reduction damage. Sentries also do bonus damage to bio.

^ Using combinations of these would definitely defeat this.

I would even say that you don't scout enough.

You have to know what your opponent is doing. A lot of times people don't know how to counter because they don't know what to expect.

I periodically send a probe/scv/marine/zergling just to spend a little money to know exactly what my opponent is building in their main. If I see a lot of tech, I usually attack. If I see them massing, then I have to mass the right units.

If you do see ghosts, remember that high templars come with a feedback ability that hurt enemies according to magic points. Very useful against magic casting units.

You can do some DT harassment since you do have a warp-prism unit that lets you teleport units anywhere.

Post a replay, and GAF can help you analyze it.

fanboi

Banned
Need tip.

Mid game zerg... Shouldn't that be massing Hydras? Since they can both attack air and land units.

And pack em up with banelings?

Corran Horn

Quick tech question:
The music/sound on SC2 stopped 'working'. When I checked other things like youtube, the videos play frame by frame it seems with no noise too then stops. Happened to me a few times now and I have to restart comp. to fix. Anyone know a fix to this or heard about it?

Ashhong

cheap bastards. wiped out main base and expansion of a team in 2v2, and they said GG. i wasnt thinking and just idly destroyed their base. turns out they had a little island expansion and took out a part of my partners base, who then felt the need to rage quit.

in the end, i lost. very upsetting since i could have easily taken them out if they didnt say GG =/

Zzoram

Corran Horn said:
Quick tech question:
The music/sound on SC2 stopped 'working'. When I checked other things like youtube, the videos play frame by frame it seems with no noise too then stops. Happened to me a few times now and I have to restart comp. to fix. Anyone know a fix to this or heard about it?

There is an option in the settings for music to be continuous, otherwise it pauses between songs.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
fanboi said:
Need tip.

Mid game zerg... Shouldn't that be massing Hydras? Since they can both attack air and land units.

And pack em up with banelings?
Hydras and/or mutas depending on how much resources you have.

Baneling only if you have the speed upgrade.

Trasher

Zzoram said:
There is an option in the settings for music to be continuous, otherwise it pauses between songs.
How do you get the music to work during a replay? I know it's possible because I've watched countless replays on Youtube that had the music playing during them.

Corran Horn

Trasher said:
How do you get the music to work during a replay? I know it's possible because I've watched countless replays on Youtube that had the music playing during them.
I think they took it out? I know some people just add a music track to their replay videos now though.

LaneDS

claviertekky said:

I definitely don't scout enough early on in 1v1. In 2v2 I pylon on 8 and then get that probe scouting immediately, sometimes even being a dick and offensive cannoning or Gatewaying in their base if the probe goes unnoticed. But yeah, in the 1v1s, wasn't scouting early on and was definitely paying for it.

As for the other tips, I'll try to work in more Warp Prism drops as that would help a lot (I get easily frustrated by Terran players blocking off their ramps, I find it's generally very costly to push through with tier 1 Protoss units and then just go back to massing), and eventually might try hallucinate.

Also, thanks.

zoukka

So I was just browsing through the KOTBH matches and really most of them seemed to end to the first rush... looked just like as merciless as any low level games I've played.

Ozorov

fanboi said:
Since I got a bad conscience, if I get a key, you will have it.

When I first read your PM I was searching for a line with random letters/numbers. When I didn't find it my brain went empty.

Apath

Blizzard would be kings of the world if they announced Open Beta as april fools, and then turned around and announced a release date AND open beta!

Can't wait for April 1st!

aznpxdd

4157_10.gif

WTF?? I don't remember this scene in Community!

ZealousD

Trasher said:

HDstarcraft just throws the tracks in when he makes the videos. That's not actually part of the replay itself.

Cheeto

Ice Monkey said:
well i have a set plan i go through, it just takes up a lot of space. what were you suggesting movie maker for? converting to a diff format?

I usually go fraps-vdub-mediacoder-tada youtube format.
How you making out? I can lend a hand if you need it, I have ridiculous amounts of hard drive space.

Mudkips

Banned
Had one game last night where 6 battle cruisers and 3 ravens took out about 60 stalkers, a bunch of immortals, and some phoenixes and a few colossi. He failed to kill ANY of my ravens or battle cruisers.

He went through a couple waves of that composition, and a couple waves of carriers.
Then he was out of money, said "gg" and left. :lol

Then I had a game where my teammate got cheesed by a probe building cannons in his base. We ended up with just 4 bases (while they controlled the other 8). I went in with some fast banshees and vikings and put the hurt on their main bases as they were defenseless due to the cheese and fast expand.

We wiped one guy out (he just had 2 bases, starting a third, while his teammate had 5).

His teammate ended up massing carriers (with mothership) about 4 times. Vikings and Ravens put the hurt on them and marines mopped them up each time. At the end we had no money left, and he was massing again...

His fatal mistake was building about, oh, 5000 photon cannons all over the map.
There were two spots with minerals left. One in the air-only expansion behind him and one in an area he had surrounded by cannons. My teammate snuck in and took the air-only one and built up some turrets (he had about 8 carriers and a mothership), while I kept harassing his attempts to build in the new spot.

I was down to 4 Vikings (and no money) but I was able to kill off the nexus he was collecting at, and his probes then had no choice but to run across the map when collecting, so we cut them off. He had no money left, but a sizeable force (and a ton of cannons). I suppose he could have micro'd the probes and mass recalled them to one of his other nexuses, but he would have had to move the mothership back across the map to get the probes to mine again, leaving his other nexuses vulnerable to Yamatos.

My teammate then attacked a bit with nukes, while I was able to get a bit of money for battlecruisers. Once his mothership (like his 5th one) went down, he gave up, even though he had 6 carriers and a million photon cannons. All I had was 4 Vikings and 3 battlecruisers.

Real glad he didn't bitch out and make me spend an hour Yamato-ing a million photon cannons to get the win...

Top Bottom