• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
did anyone else get this error message after that crash?
205xf68.png

J-Rod

Was up to 36 platinum with my partner, going entire nights unchallenged, now we can't win one for anything. I think we won all of one match tonight :(

Arzehn

Tworak said:
I take it they're having some problems?

edit; yeap. looks like it - oh that's a really old post as well. D;

The tournament is still going on they are just having problems. =_=

louder vs idra was where it was last 1-0

msv said:
Husky's are good, he's not annoying IMO. I can't describe it well what irks me so much about the Day9 caster. He lays emphasis on each... and every.. SINGLE... sentence!! With his dramatic pauses, every THING must.. come out COOL. Then his head pops in, with his completely emotionless (maybe a bit smug) expression, which doesn't correlate with what he's saying at all. Plus, the actual content of his commentary isn't that interesting.

Ah well, enough negativity from me. I like Husky/Psy/HD and LiquidSC is good too.

People not liking Day9 makes me sad. You might think he's a douche (and even that's a giant stretch), but he's really a nice guy, just a bit theatrical because you gotta remember, he's casting for thousands of strangers and you tend to put up a bit of a facade when you're doing that.

Plus, he's really very good at analysis of the game and explaining it.

msv

Tworak said:
it's up and back and working.

Lz vs Pride
http://www.livestream.com/iccup
Whats with the SCV rushes of Pride? Seems like a hopeless strategy against any competent player.

FieryBalrog said:
People not liking Day9 makes me sad. You might think he's a douche (and even that's a giant stretch), but he's really a nice guy, just a bit theatrical because you gotta remember, he's casting for thousands of strangers and you tend to put up a bit of a facade when you're doing that.

Plus, he's really very good at analysis of the game and explaining it.
Yeah, he might be a nice guy, I don't know him personally. I just don't like his commentary, I tried, multiple times, but I just can't stand it. He really needs to tone his commentary down a few notches and stop with the webcam stuff.

Ashhong

GOD DAMMIT. does SC kill anybodys internet? twice now, when i was feeling good and about to win, my internet drops. wat the fuckkkkk

spootime

The people in this stream were saying that this idra guy had people in vent with him watching the stream.. and he still lost.

ezrarh

Ashhong said:
GOD DAMMIT. does SC kill anybodys internet? twice now, when i was feeling good and about to win, my internet drops. wat the fuckkkkk

I DC'd twice during my placement matches. I think it's a combination of my spotty wireless and Starcraft. Yea usually it decides to drop at critical moments.

Ashhong

ezrarh said:
I DC'd twice during my placement matches. I think it's a combination of my spotty wireless and Starcraft. Yea usually it decides to drop at critical moments.

im on some pretty crappy wireless too, but it shouldnt dc. at first i thought like my graphics card was overheating the wireless card but as soon as i press disconnect and then connect on my wireless settings it starts working. and then sc2 crashes

anyways, i finally got a noob 2v2 strategy that works. mass immortals from me, and stalkers + void rays from partner. is that completely open to a lot of holes? seemed to work pretty well the past few games

Haha

I decided to use "Random" race on 2v2 with Panda.

We went 3-2 and went silver somehow..

First game I totally had no idea what I was doing and fooled around and we lost.. 2nd match.. I did a tad bit better but we still lost - Panda got wiped out early.

Then we won our next 3.

Then we played some Silver matches and charged up the ladder.. and now we are 2nd in our Division :lol

So easy. The only games we've really lost too have been cheese. And they were guys in Platinum vs us. We did take out like the #1 Bronze Team in a Division and a few top 10 golds and some platinum guys. WE ARE BEASTS IN SILVER BEASTS! :p

Ashhong

whats best protoss strat against zerg? in 2v2 if that matters. i like immortals but i dont think they are as effective against zerg right? void rays? iuno

LaneDS

Ashhong said:

Had an issue today where I was 2v2-ing on that map where you spawn with your teammate (Twilight Fortress?) and it became a tech race pretty quick. When all four of our armies clashed late in the game with Carriers, Thors, Brood Lords, and whatever else, I started seeing one of those time-out windows with my own name on it, despite being able to talk to my buddy fine over Vent. A few moments later, I saw "You were disconnected" despite, again, being able to use vent. A few minutes later my whole internet went down for 30 seconds.

So, long story short... maybe? Seemed odd, but could have just been coincidence all the same. We won that round though, so high five.

Ashhong said:
whats best protoss strat against zerg? in 2v2 if that matters. i like immortals but i dont think they are as effective against zerg right? void rays? iuno

immortals are very effective against roach swarms which most casual zerg players love to do, but zerglings will make short work of them. immortals with stalkers and zealots in front is prolly a good idea, and if they are swarming that much with lings and hydras and roaches then youll likely have to go high temps.

in very late game if you can manage, mass carriers will own everything in the game except maybe battlecruisers toe to toe. i mean MASS CARRIERS though, they are easy to overwhelm. I usually just end up giving up and letting my hydras hit interceptors though because a lot of times i can actually make the carriers defenseless.

LaneDS

Early on against most Zerg players I've had good luck with a very early Gateway and Zealots to hold the ramp/choke. Most Zerg players I've run into will either 9 pool rush lings or hit me with roaches early on, so I've had the most luck essentially turtling early on. From there I've seen them often go mutas, in which case a mix of stalkers/sentries/zealots with charge seems to work alright for me, provided it's still early in the game.

Ozorov

Ice Monkey said:
immortals are very effective against roach swarms which most casual zerg players love to do, but zerglings will make short work of them. immortals with stalkers and zealots in front is prolly a good idea, and if they are swarming that much with lings and hydras and roaches then youll likely have to go high temps.

in very late game if you can manage, mass carriers will own everything in the game except maybe battlecruisers toe to toe. i mean MASS CARRIERS though, they are easy to overwhelm. I usually just end up giving up and letting my hydras hit interceptors though because a lot of times i can actually make the carriers defenseless.

Some sentrys in that mix -> win

by the way i have to mention these two epic games i just played with my friend. He's rather new, he still hasnt played more than 10 games so he's still getting the ropes but he's similar to a lot of us where he played starcraft back in the day so everything is nicely familiar.

so anyways, in the first of my two favorite games ever, it was a basic 2v2, metalopolis i was zerg and he's protoss. Now the two other guys weren't putting too much pressure on us, but seeing as he's new this was his first reaper rush, you know how frustrating those damn things can be. So a few reapers come in and start easily destroying his probes and not too much later he's probeless and lost a few buildings. He rage quit because he thought we were done for.

It wasn't my particularly best match so far, so i only had about 3 roaches and 4-8 zerglings. The amazing thing though is they both came at me with some reapers, probably all the reapers they had and i slaughtered them all, trapping them from bouncing off the cliffs and such. They forgot a few reapers too so i take maybe 6 roaches and now probably 10 lings and go to town on the one terran guy's base. he had a few marauders and was trying to pump more marines but I spank his barracks then he decides he's best if he lifts off all his buildings and tries to hide near his partner's base. I kill a few more buildings to cripple him even more and then march off to the other guy's base. He puts up an OK fight but I basically push through and break through his wall and start decimating his base as well with not all that many roaches and lings. This wasn't your standard 20-30 roach push that ends a lot of games early.

He of course tries to follow red's lead and lifts off some buildings, but i see all of reds lifted buildings are in his (blue's) base. The entire time since I had first broken through his wall I had finished a lair and spire and started mutas so by the time. red actually ragequits at this point and i'm left against blue. I only had my main and nat and anyways I get 4-6 mutas or so and start sniping red's remaining buildings and it's only a matter of time going through all the expansions with mutas before he finally gives up. I had a lot of fun going crazy messaging my friend who had raged saying how i was still doing in the game :)

ill say the second match in a few minutes.

Ashhong

cool thanks for the info. i guess i will go a combo of zealots with charge and immortals while my partner gets stalkers...

The second match wasnt a comeback but it was twilight fortress and I really found out the strength of mutas and lings. I fast expanded at the beginning and basically teched to lair and not much further at first, had 5 hatcheries or so before I got any more than my easy natural, and spammed lings like there was no tomorrow. I also built maybe 15 mutas or so, and by the time they came with a huge ball of marauders, stalkers, vikings, zealots, sentries and more I COMPLETELY DECIMATED their entire massive ball of forces, basically ALONE with a good chunk of speedlings (i think they were speed) as i told my friend to go straight to carriers. He hadn't even paid attention at parts while he did some work stuff. I made a second expansion, tried for a third but got halted but i got it later anyway, got a fourth with no trouble and throughout the ENTIRE MATCH i had run out of minerals and gas almost every other second as i spammed lings like my life depended on it.

I had two evo chambers pumping upgrades, ended up with two spires also pumping upgrades and pushed with lings and mutas again, this time with my partners 7 or 8 carriers right outside their choke. We decimate their entire armies so they are left to continue making more and trying to fend us off. Eventually they manage to take all of my mutas out because the terran had spammed turrets in his nat and by this time i was freaking out trying to figure out what to do because i kept running out of gas when i made more mutas.

I made a few more mutas I think then decided to try and make a bunch of roaches as a baneling nest was almost done building. You see, they had completely changed their initial strat and started pumping high temps and vikings hoping to take us out somehow. My friend was continuing building mass carriers and had maybe two or three expansions. I had probably 2k minerals after trying to tend to all my expansions when I heard a nuke coming down somewhere. I moved all my drones every which way, they had targeted that expansion nearest their base so i sent a pack of three overseers there and started mining again. He starts another nuke so now seeing his cloaked ass I attack his ghost and kill it...with my drones hahahaha he only managed to get a few drones and my two gas, my hatch was still alive after two nukes so i just start them up again.

Anyways, before the roaches were done i selected the majority of them and canceled and went back to mass lings. Then I made about a third into banelings, I was using every damn mineral and gas I got so i couldnt make them all banes. my friend attacks a big new army of stalkers and zealots with his carriers, so i come in with banes and lings and at this point it was almost over. Pushing through their choke with just lings at this point and my friend with carriers taking out the mass of vikings the terran was trying to build, I turn half my ball of lings into banes and start taking out buildings. I think one guy had left so i asked my friend to back off with the carriers as I get ready to destroy the remaining buildings with banelings and finally he quits.

The thing I learned there was basically if you spend ALL YOUR MONEY EVAR you'll probably end up having a damn good chance of winning. I had four expansions at once at one point and still had no minerals or gas and hit 200 supply multiple times. all on LINGS AND MUTAS MUAHAHAHAH zerg forever!

Ashhong said:
cool thanks for the info. i guess i will go a combo of zealots with charge and immortals while my partner gets stalkers...

i dont play toss much but i bet if you plan to get immortals upgrading shields is a good idea. If you get good enough at it, you can even try to scope out a terrans inevitable ghosts with some observers and use feedback from a high temp on them to keep emp from hurting you like the bitch it is.

legend166

I just started playing this today, thanks to an invite I got from being in the list in the key begging thread.

A huge rush of nostalgia and then thinking "holy crap, I forgot how awesome the soundtrack was in Starcraft."

Then I went on to get destroyed by some damn new Protoss units I had no clue about. I been excited as hell for the game but I haven't been following it, if you know what I mean.

Is it possible to play 1v1 skirmishes against the CPU? I could only see the option for co-op.

Raide

legend166 said:
Is it possible to play 1v1 skirmishes against the CPU? I could only see the option for co-op.

Yes but A.I is on super easy. Create a game, choose map and in the lobby you can right click to add A.I.

Cheeto

I'd only recommend doing one game against the AI to learn hotkeys and whatnot, the AI is really way too easy to get any real practice... I think there's a video on youtube of one of the popular commentators coming into a game against the AI after an hour of idling, I think the AI had like 6 or maybe 7 combat units by that time.

Oh man, my post-wipe SC2 experience has been the pits. Basically before the wipe, I had some really good stuff going, namely I was Platinum on 4 different 2v2 teams. The only gripe I had with it was that I was Gold 1v1, but that didn't matter so much, as Gold is still a great place to be in.

Fast forward to the wipe. I end up playing some very disappointing games in my placement match ups, where I ended up just losing for no reason at all. I ended up hitting 2 Gold and finishing with 1 Silver with three of the same 2v2 teams I had achieved Platinum with pre-wipe. Getting Gold is not bad, but I'll admit it was a bit disappointing, and things seemed to have been only going down hill.

I'd been holding off on my 1v1's for fear that I might just end up in Copper at the rate I was going, but I decided to finally just go for it, and I'm very happy that I hit Platinum. Dear JESUS was that a load off my chest. Now to go practice for my tournament match up...

If anyone would like to practice 1v1's, mess around, test out builds, units, etc., definitely hit me up. My ID is Alumnus.mosaic and I'll be on very often.

chris-013

I sux when I'm playing Protoss. ; ;
Maybe because protoss need fewer units than the other race and better micro... and there are too much protoss too 75% of my games are PvsP. :D

Man, after about a week of not being able to play (during which time the ladder was reset), my teammate and I played our practice games and ended up in a 2v2 gold league. Now we're just getting our ass kicked. Our record is lower than 50/50, for the first time ever, and we aren't actually moving up. Before the reset, we were doing great. I don't know if we're just rusty, or if we're placed too high, or both. It's very disheartening :(

I haven't been able to play either.

My NVIDIA 8800 GTS card burned out in a spectacular explosion in Heroes of Newerth because I didn't realize the fan was caked in dust.

Sucks.

Replacement on the way though.

Chris Remo said:
Man, after about a week of not being able to play (during which time the ladder was reset), my teammate and I played our practice games and ended up in a 2v2 gold league. Now we're just getting our ass kicked. Our record is lower than 50/50, for the first time ever, and we aren't actually moving up. Before the reset, we were doing great. I don't know if we're just rusty, or if we're placed too high, or both. It's very disheartening :(
Yea their ranking system is kind of odd..

Panda and I got Silver yet we are dominating.. :lol

msv

Just got in too. Download is going slow, needs another 2 hours :/ I haven't played in so long, so I'll probably suck a lot. Also EU, I'll post my ID when I get it.

I'm totally up for 1v1s and definitely 2v2's. 3v3 and up aren't there yet right?

Top Bottom