• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Ozorov

msv said:
Just got in too. Download is going slow, needs another 2 hours :/ I haven't played in so long, so I'll probably suck a lot. Also EU, I'll post my ID when I get it.

I'm totally up for 1v1s and definitely 2v2's. 3v3 and up aren't there yet right?

2 hours really? All hail 100mbit :)

msv

Ozorov said:
2 hours really? All hail 100mbit :)
Yeah, I got 20mbit, should be going faster, but meh.. maybe I'll reboot.

Edit: Yesss! I disabled the throttler and restarted the download. 50 minutes left :D

Corum

DemiMatt said:
lmao this site is great!

"When I go 8 pool with 6 lings for an early econ harass, I want my partner to be able to follow me, with a 4 gate zealot rush."

:lol

The terran music in the background is a nice touch.

Jtones

Banned
Eventhough I suck ASS at this game, I still love it. Seriously, I'm a complete noob in all what's starcraft.

Any tips or tricks on how I should start a game? Like, build a second base close to some other minerals to have a bigger income of resources, etc.

/noobspeak

Corum

Datwheezy said:
SWEET BABY JESUS I JUST GOT INVITED TO THE BETA :D

Blizzard or friend
or April Fools?

Jtones said:
Eventhough I suck ASS at this game, I still love it. Seriously, I'm a complete noob in all what's starcraft.

Any tips or tricks on how I should start a game? Like, build a second base close to some other minerals to have a bigger income of resources, etc.

/noobspeak

Regarding expansions, it depends on what your opponent is planning and the only way to find out is to scout his base. Send an gatherer, and if you see they're massing lots of units then it would be unwise to expand, as the materials you'll have to spend would be better put to use gathering units of your own to repel the attack. If your opponent is constructing lots of buildings, and teching up, then you can consider an expansion.

Jtones

Banned
Corum said:
Blizzard or friend
or April Fools?

Regarding expansions, it depends on what your opponent is planning and the only way to find out is to scout his base. Send an gatherer, and if you see they're massing lots of units then it would be unwise to expand, as the materials you'll have to spend would be better put to use gathering units of your own to repel the attack. If your opponent is constructing lots of buildings, and teching up, then you can consider an expansion.

So one of the most important things you should do in the start of a game is send a scout to the other base?

Corum

Jtones said:
So one of the most important things you should do in the start of a game is send a scout to the other base?

Not necessarily immediately, but once you're at about 10 supply send a scout or for zerg send an overlord straight away as they're extremely slow.

Scouting is very important, learning what your opponent is doing means that you can react and create counter units.

Won

Fooling around with Terrans at the moment. Seem to to better in mirror matches than with toss, but now I suck against Zerg. :(
But I'm gonna figure something out!

Jtones said:

/noobspeak
For now always do the same build order so you can practise it and do it perfectly. What race do you play?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Corum said:
"When I go 8 pool with 6 lings for an early econ harass, I want my partner to be able to follow me, with a 4 gate zealot rush."

:lol

The terran music in the background is a nice touch.

What kind of rush is a 4 GATE? Pffft! Noob!

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Corum said:
Congrats! I wonder if it's a new wave of invites. How often do you check your account?

Not too often. Last time I checked was about a week ago, so it definitely happened in the past week. Didn't get an e-mail, just decided to check my account this morning and there it was.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
bigboss370 said:
I GOT INTO THE BETA:D

please let it not be april fools...

Got my invite today too, I'm about 15 mins away from the client being finished, so I'll let you know. I refuse to believe it until I'm at the game's title screen :lol

tadcalabash

Neo Member
bigboss370 said:
I GOT INTO THE BETA:D .

I need to stop checking this thread... each time I see a string of "Yeah, I got in!" posts, then check my Battle.net account and see it still beta-less, it's like a punch in the face.

Stop punching me in the face Blizzard!

Jtones said:

scouting is an important part of gameplay, for sure, but you'd be surprised at how so VERY MANY people you can play against don't properly scout. Honestly when you send an scv or whatnot over there the point is not to just see a command center or some shit but to actually see what type of buildings they have or if they have 1 or 2 gas. The point is, you may as well not scout at first at least unless you see them properly scouting your stuff, and if they are actually properly scouting well you're probably not going to win (at first) anyway.

The logic of that would dictate that you shouldn't even bother scouting until you have completely covered resource collecting and base management, also getting used to the units and their counters first.

On that note, everybody needs to stop just blanket telling everyone how important scouting is. It's the last step in a long series of pretty complicated things to learn and memorization in order to be good at starcraft.

Jtones

Banned
darkpaladinmfc said:
For now always do the same build order so you can practise it and do it perfectly. What race do you play?

Alright. I play with protoss, so if there are any tips about this race, I'm happy to learn. =)

Cory_t_

lol no tips from me but here's what not to do. Just watched a match on iccup livestream and some guy built a nexus in his main on scrap station planning on lifting it off to take the island expo. lmao, one of the funniest things I've ever seen!

Ice Monkey said:
scouting is an important part of gameplay, for sure, but you'd be surprised at how so VERY MANY people you can play against don't properly scout. Honestly when you send an scv or whatnot over there the point is not to just see a command center or some shit but to actually see what type of buildings they have or if they have 1 or 2 gas. The point is, you may as well not scout at first at least unless you see them properly scouting your stuff, and if they are actually properly scouting well you're probably not going to win (at first) anyway.

The logic of that would dictate that you shouldn't even bother scouting until you have completely covered resource collecting and base management, also getting used to the units and their counters first.

On that note, everybody needs to stop just blanket telling everyone how important scouting is. It's the last step in a long series of pretty complicated things to learn and memorization in order to be good at starcraft.
Well said!

Ice Monkey said:

With this in mind, for newer Terran players it may be easier for them to use a Scan to scout rather than trying to micro the scout. You can use the scan later after the essential buildings are out of the way, and you're pretty damned sure to see what they're teching with it. And for newer players, the mineral sacrifice may not mean anything as they may not be fast enough for it even to matter. It might just help get across the idea of how important scouting is in general.

Corum

Ice Monkey said:

Obviously the first aspects of the game you'll need to learn is your build orders, key bindings, unit counters, the list goes on but scouting is crucial to competitive play, how else will you know about that pylon outside your base, the early spawning pool, the bunker at your natural expansion?

What do I know though? I've yet to even play in the beta.

Corum said:
Obviously the first aspects of the game you'll need to learn is your build orders, key bindings, unit counters, the list goes on but scouting is crucial to competitive play, how else will you know about that pylon outside your base, the early spawning pool, the bunker at your natural expansion.

What do I know though? I've yet to even play in the beta.
hey good idea...

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Ice Monkey said:

Scouting plays a huge role in your game once you become a competent Starcraft player, and building good scouting habits early on while accounting for a scouting worker when you learn builds can only help you. Seeing what your opponent is doing, even at a low level of play, can help eventually, as you'll begin to recognize patterns between what you fight against what what's being built at your opponents base. I think it's a crucial part of the metagame that you need to learn about early on.

Milabrega

So looks like the every other Thursday pattern is holding true, but I think everyone posting here who just got in is EU beta, some other posts on another forum with people getting in as well. So NA people (Orangepeel, yaweee, Neoultima) be sure to check bnet account later tonight or tomorrow. I need new sparring partners now that Pandaman, Trasher and Halycon are trouncing me regularly and terp is always making his damn Tea :lol

Procarbine said:
Scouting plays a huge role in your game once you become a competent Starcraft player, and building good scouting habits early on while accounting for a scouting worker when you learn builds can only help you. Seeing what your opponent is doing, even at a low level of play, can help eventually, as you'll begin to recognize patterns between what you fight against what what's being built at your opponents base. I think it's a crucial part of the metagame that you need to learn about early on.

Emphasis on my entire point. The problem is, you can't or shouldn't even begin to learn how to properly scout unless you are comfortable with your macro. If you try to scout other than just sending a probe or scv into a base to sit around (which is ineffective anyway), and you can't handle your base macro at the same time, then you'll be severely hurting your chances at success.

Running around the guy's base attacking a drone or something to piss him off or circling around his base evading marines or zealots, while effective in pro level gameplay, is entirely fruitless if in the meantime there aren't any drones being built in your base, no tech being slowly and sequentially built, no upgrades being done and production being kept up, no chrono boost or larva being utilized every 40 seconds, etc etc.

IMHO scouting needs to wait to be learned until after you can do all that crap in your sleep, or dont even have to look at your base because you have everything hotkeyed. Besides which of all these things is easiest to learn? I'd say shift clicking an scv multiple points around some guys base with the last shift click going back to your own is pretty simple to learn, the hard part is spending any time at all looking at the other guy's base without hampering your own base strategies.

Trasher

Ice Monkey said:
Emphasis on my entire point. The problem is, you can't or shouldn't even begin to learn how to properly scout unless you are comfortable with your macro. If you try to scout other than just sending a probe or scv into a base to sit around (which is ineffective anyway), and you can't handle your base macro at the same time, then you'll be severely hurting your chances at success.

Running around the guy's base attacking a drone or something to piss him off or circling around his base evading marines or zealots, while effective in pro level gameplay, is entirely fruitless if in the meantime there aren't any drones being built in your base, no tech being slowly and sequentially built, no upgrades being done and production being kept up, no chrono boost or larva being utilized every 40 seconds, etc etc.

IMHO scouting needs to wait to be learned until after you can do all that crap in your sleep, or dont even have to look at your base because you have everything hotkeyed. Besides which of all these things is easiest to learn? I'd say shift clicking an scv multiple points around some guys base with the last shift click going back to your own is pretty simple to learn, the hard part is spending any time at all looking at the other guy's base without hampering your own base strategies.

But if you make it a habit early on then it will be that much easier to do once your macro starts coming together more. That's kinda like saying, "well I don't want to Chronos boost until I figure out the rest of my macro." You are really hurting yourself by not using it. It's just another one of the facets of the game that you will want to know how to do no matter the level of your play. Not scouting is just being lazy. Gotta think of it as part of your macro.

Wedge7

Ice Monkey said:

Good advice, I remember back in the day for SC1, I was always getting so annoyed and thrown off when Protoss always sent a early probe and being such annoying little bastards that probes are, attacking my building scvs, running in and attacking the mineral line, I would get really flustered and bothered, and forget to build things like supply depots etc. Anyway, I decided to try that, and thought "Hey, I'm doing it, look at this scv micro, the guy must be going crazy" Fast forward like 15 seconds later, and I had let my mineral count accumulate to around 500. Hilarious the train of thoughts that go through your head, as you almost feel like just immediately leaving the game.

msv

GGs ozorov. Man this game is good. I had fun, even though I got slaughtered like 6 times in a row :p

Add me in SC2 - tag is msv.snikkel (i suck very... very... hard, so teach me!)

Ozorov

Good game is good! :D Now I only need a new computer. Lowest settings and still 5-10 fps sometimes is no fun.

GGs msv!

EU-fellas. Add me as well. ID : Ozorov.gaf (I also need a teacher!)

Milabrega

^^^^ Added you two on the list: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20461745&postcount=7361

Ice Monkey said:

So excited for new maps and 3v3 and 4v4. Though the first two 8 player maps use my two least favorite tile sets. Top left and bottom right have nice cozy island expands where as everyone else has 2x ground access expands.

Hope we get more maps soon for 1v1 and 2v2 even if we don't get this larger maps just yet. Would love another one using Space (like scrap station), Forest (like steppes) or cityscape (like Metropolis') tile set

Chris Remo said:
Man, after about a week of not being able to play (during which time the ladder was reset), my teammate and I played our practice games and ended up in a 2v2 gold league. Now we're just getting our ass kicked. Our record is lower than 50/50, for the first time ever, and we aren't actually moving up. Before the reset, we were doing great. I don't know if we're just rusty, or if we're placed too high, or both. It's very disheartening :(

The game has changed a lot this past week. Two patches which changed the way Terran are played completely, and the way early game zerg are played, all the while nerfing Protoss.

Top Bottom