• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Ozorov

Milabrega said:
Just played 4 ladder matches, 4 protoss opponents, 3 went that very same sentry/zealot build in that new HD starcraft video, I went 4-0, two of my opponents were platinum too. So glad I watched that video earlier :lol

What did you do?

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
V_Arnold said:
Damn, I have to stop playing WoW, even if my guild needs me as a tank, and instead of the boring progressless ICC10/25 runs, I could do some decent practice in Starcraft II beta...

Damn Blizzard for running TWO awesome games paralell to each other... and D3 did not even came out. MicVlad: if you are still up for it, we could practice some in the weekend, when I will have time to log in at least, let alone play..

Sooner you leave WoW the better. All of us recovered players can promise you this.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
After the main battle of the last game I played, the guy made me hunt down his remaining units around the map for 40 mins. I had enough firepower to consistently chip away his forces down to a building or two, but not enough to completely eliminate him. And he refused to quit. If I didnt want the win so badly, I would have just quit myself :lol

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Tried the sentry/zealot/Colossus build. Fucking awesome, saved me from the game in a 2v2 :lol
TPvZZ they were nydus worming our bases as their first attack, my teammate was destroyed/airlifted out and was out till much later but that combo works greats on hydras and small number of mutas :p

Ashhong

Wedge7 said:
Get one stalker, they effectively nullify the early reaper harass.

with my luck, reapers always seem to come at me when im doing some kind of zealot rush or something. i usually dont have a stalker ready when they send in like 4 reapers to my base. =/ im still slow

JoeMartin said:
I don't consider proxying cheesy at all. It's a possible part of the game mechanics for a reason - I don't really consider any style of play cheesy at that.

Winning in SC isn't about :spacehonor: it's about exploiting every weakness and every mistake your opponent makes.

Your opponent doesn't scout, or doesn't keep an eye on the probe you've placed into their base or takes no measures to keep vision around most of his base, cheese it up. They lose, they learn.

i think i played you in 2v2 on twilight. you put a proxy in the corner but i cant remember if you are the one who put a shitload of cannons or used it as a warp gate. u bastard

hobart

I've recently hit a bit of a surge. I just feel like I understand the game a whole lot more than I did a week ago... my macro is better... and my micro is getting better due to my understanding of the units (I've always felt micro is a strongpoint... I think my time in HoN/DOTA has really helped me with this).

That said... I'm sorry I'm in such a low division right now (Bronze). The biggest problem I'm facing is the fact that these players just don't know when to quit... or when precisely they've lost. I've spent my last 3 wins searching out opponents for 15-20 minutes... who just didn't know that the game was long gone. Annoying. I'm by no means this amazing player stuck in Bronze... I think I belong in a Silver league (most likely where I'll float when game hits launch)... but dealing with people who just refuse to say gg and quit the game...... ugh.

Had a nice couple of sessions with some of our GAF fellas tonight. Lotta fun. It's been nice playing with ya'll last couple of weeks. Made some new friends.. hopefully we can stay tight throughout our SC2 experience :)

Milabrega

aznpxdd said:
What did you do to counter the zealot/sentry build?

Speedling/Hydra x2, second time I had two infestors who FG'd. The third I went MMM with support hellions. Lost both major open field battles though leaving him with <5 units. I had two very successful Hellion worker harasses that gave me the major economic advantage. I had the MMM's focus down the sentries while the hellions dealt with the zealots. In the end I won by just going 6 rax plus a factory pumping out units rallied into his base. I was worried I was going to have to get tanks and vikings but his economy just couldn't keep up. They didn't survive long enough to actually get real Colossi and I was smart enough to ignore the Hallucinated ones.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Just a reminder that Round 1 of the tournament ends Sunday at noon. We still have 3 matches left undone. You should either get it done tonight or tomorrow.

Huh. You can play like shit as long as you out economy your opponent. I just said fuck it and massed stalkers and my ally got dark templar. They had siege tanks, carriers, ravens, observers, vikings etc. They each had their natural, we had every other expansion on the map. I think they ran through our army like 3-4 times that we had to buy completely new units, but we ended up just walling them in with photon cannons and sending wave after wave of 200 pop armies in.

Insaniac

trying to better my terran and I was wondering if anyone had links to some vids of good terran players specifically with vikings.

PS usualy watch husky and HDSC

Meeru

Banned
ZealousD said:
Just a reminder that Round 1 of the tournament ends Sunday at noon. We still have 3 matches left undone. You should either get it done tonight or tomorrow.
shagg has been mia forever

Hieberrr

Got into the beta! :D

Does anybody have any tips regarding stocking up on resources AND building troops? I can't seem to do both at the same time. Serious noob I know... I feel as though this is completely different from SC.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Frustration-age kicking in :lol
Getting my ass kicked. I need to get better at the start of my builds to protect my base against early protoss rushes or reaper raids :/

Meeru

Banned
Hieberrr said:
Got into the beta! :D

Does anybody have any tips regarding stocking up on resources AND building troops? I can't seem to do both at the same time. Serious noob I know... I feel as though this is completely different from SC.
Whats ur char and identifier?

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
anyone got a good resource of PRO replay files? my internet quota is woefully small, so i can't watch all these vids on youtube or live streams. much more bandwidth effective if i can just watch replay files.... but i can't find any PRO ones.

watching people play as badly as i do isn't much fun :/

Tworak

Scrow said:
anyone got a good resource of PRO replay files? my internet quota is woefully small, so i can't watch all these vids on youtube or live streams. much more bandwidth effective if i can just watch replay files.... but i can't find any PRO ones.

watching people play as badly as i do isn't much fun :/
Teamliquid's Starcraft 2 Replays Thread

not everyone is PRO, of course, but that's most likely the best place to look for the highest-skill-on-average replays.

Lz said:
Since 600 ppl on my stream begged me to upload this rep.. figure i might aswell post it here :O
http://www.sc2rc.com/index.php/replay/show/661
another lz vs. idra ladder game >_>
like this one.

TurtleSnatcher said:
Mutas are so fucking good.. so fucking good.

What race are you playing as? Thor fucks them up with the splash damage, turrets mess them up now and a marine heavy bioball should mess them up. Pretty sure other races have valid strats against them as well.

NovemberMike said:
What race are you playing as? Thor fucks them up with the splash damage, turrets mess them up now and a marine heavy bioball should mess them up. Pretty sure other races have valid strats against them as well.
uh as Zerg.

And so far if I have mutas.. I usually don't let people tech to Thors.. 1 ball of 24 laughs at sporadic turrets and they can fuck a marine ball pretty well themselves due to splash from glaive.

I also begin to make other units as it throws them off cuz they focus on making AA.

JWong

Banned
I find mutas can be countered pretty easily. I had a game where mass sentries killed mutas like nothing.

With static defense being pretty strong, I stayed away from mutas for the time being.

JWong

Banned
I'm pretty sure T can get air units or thors around the same time Z can get mutas.

Thor takes a bit to get out, but spire takes a long time to build.

Zzoram

JWong said:
I find mutas can be countered pretty easily. I had a game where mass sentries killed mutas like nothing.

With static defense being pretty strong, I stayed away from mutas for the time being.

Ya sentries rape mutas once you get a decent number of them. They're also pretty good against roaches.

Paz

You guys talking about units that can beat mutas in a straight up fight just really don't get the unit I think..

If you have mutalisk, you should NEVER fight your opponents main army with them, that is not their purpose. Seems like turtle understands this if he is finding success with them :)

As a protoss player fighting in plat I would say 9 times out of 10 when I lose to a Zerg it is due to good use of mutalisks, and only after I am outnumbered 2:1 do they even think about fighting my army.

Got rank 1 2v2 plat back today using some hilarious strats, my ally called down 18ish nukes at once in one match.

Paz said:
You guys talking about units that can beat mutas in a straight up fight just really don't get the unit I think..

If you have mutalisk, you should NEVER fight your opponents main army with them, that is not their purpose. Seems like turtle understands this if he is finding success with them :)

As a protoss player fighting in plat I would say 9 times out of 10 when I lose to a Zerg it is due to good use of mutalisks, and only after I am outnumbered 2:1 do they even think about fighting my army.

Got rank 1 2v2 plat back today using some hilarious strats, my ally called down 18ish nukes at once in one match.
Hah nice on the nukes.

Yea I never send mutas into a straight up fight.. and I always have a backup army on the ground of something that will distract fire or be a good counter for AA.. something like zlings.

Then I just micro and manuever my ball and hit single targets then run etc.

Kunan

TurtleSnatcher said:
uh as Zerg.

And so far if I have mutas.. I usually don't let people tech to Thors.. 1 ball of 24 laughs at sporadic turrets and they can fuck a marine ball pretty well themselves due to splash from glaive.

I also begin to make other units as it throws them off cuz they focus on making AA.
Heh me and my partner did something like this the other night. We focused hcore on air units and then had big battles with the enemies. Then they focused almost completely on anti-air and we built nothing but ground/ground and a few ground/air and demolished them :D

MMKirby

Banned
Wow Roaches = imba. Zerg used to be fragile man. Roaches = Ranged Zealots, they tank + do 16 damage. Backed up with Hydras is even more fucked up.

Won

MMKirby said:
Wow Roaches = imba. Zerg used to be fragile man. Roaches = Ranged Zealots, they tank + do 16 damage. Backed up with Hydras is even more fucked up.

They get eaten up pretty fast by Marauders and Immortals. Immortals are especially crazy against them.

MMKirby

Banned
Won said:
They get eaten up pretty fast by Marauders and Immortals. Immortals are especially crazy against them.

True, but how many immortals will this guy have? 2? By that time I've gotten about 11 roaches and zerglings to micro tank/take out immortals. I just think they made zerg a bit too strong.

Won

MMKirby said:
True, but how many immortals will this guy have? 2? By that time I've gotten about 11 roaches and zerglings to micro tank/take out immortals. I just think they made zerg a bit too strong.

Actually 2 are more than enough. They are that awesome!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
MMKirby said:
2 immortals and zealot/sentry versus roach/ling? ill back the immortals any day of the week.

roaches are pretty weak, they are hard countered easily in tier 1-2 by every race.

Top Bottom