• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

TurtleSnatcher said:
uh as Zerg.

And so far if I have mutas.. I usually don't let people tech to Thors.. 1 ball of 24 laughs at sporadic turrets and they can fuck a marine ball pretty well themselves due to splash from glaive.

I also begin to make other units as it throws them off cuz they focus on making AA.

Thor is tier 2.5 same as Mutas. Mutas die to a smaller pop marine ball with medevac support (only tier 3 and not that expensive). Missile Turrets seriously fuck up mutas now, so if they get 2-3 of them around their workers that is enough to prevent an early harass with 10-12 mutas from being productive.

The terran units that counter light air are actually general use units (thor and marines basically). If they start building an army to counter mutas it is most likely going to be thor + MMM which doesn't really have a whole lot of weaknesses. Toss are a lot more vunerable becasue their main counter is the phoenix, but even then a combined arms group of stalkers, sentries and a few other units will do a number on mutas.

nilbog21

Banned
hey has anyone here used livestream?

some of my friends have asked me to livestream but i only want to do it if the quality is pretty good - is it simply a matter of how good your computer is to run HD quality streams? Or it an option you have to pay for?

V_Arnold said:
Damn, I have to stop playing WoW, even if my guild needs me as a tank, and instead of the boring progressless ICC10/25 runs, I could do some decent practice in Starcraft II beta...

Damn Blizzard for running TWO awesome games paralell to each other... and D3 did not even came out. MicVlad: if you are still up for it, we could practice some in the weekend, when I will have time to log in at least, let alone play..

lol same situation here as a tank. I only get on a couple days a week for our 10 man raid, and have missed the 25 mans for the last month. My sub runs out on Wed and I when I'll resub. Knowing me I'll probably do it during the weekend, but I've really lost interest in the game since I got the beta.

a176

Banned
MMKirby said:
True, but how many immortals will this guy have? 2? By that time I've gotten about 11 roaches and zerglings to micro tank/take out immortals. I just think they made zerg a bit too strong.

they would have more than just 2 immortals by the time you've got your roaches and zerglings. if protoss fast upgrades to +1 attack, any combination of immortal,stalker,zealot will rape tier 1 zerg army.

hobart

nilbog21 said:
hey has anyone here used livestream?

some of my friends have asked me to livestream but i only want to do it if the quality is pretty good - is it simply a matter of how good your computer is to run HD quality streams? Or it an option you have to pay for?

Just going up and down my Favorites list... all of them stream at 500 kbps (listed as Basic). There is, however, quality differences in some of the streams... but I couldn't tell you why that's the case.

Finalflight and Orb have the best looking streams... the rest of them are pretty so-so. But, having watched the streams myself... I can tell you that even the lower quality ones are pretty good entertainment regardless of the quality.

MMKirby said:
True, but how many immortals will this guy have? 2? By that time I've gotten about 11 roaches and zerglings to micro tank/take out immortals. I just think they made zerg a bit too strong.

You cant just have 2 immortals be like LOL im gonna win.

You need to have a support army as well..

NovemberMike said:
Thor is tier 2.5 same as Mutas. Mutas die to a smaller pop marine ball with medevac support (only tier 3 and not that expensive). Missile Turrets seriously fuck up mutas now, so if they get 2-3 of them around their workers that is enough to prevent an early harass with 10-12 mutas from being productive.

The terran units that counter light air are actually general use units (thor and marines basically). If they start building an army to counter mutas it is most likely going to be thor + MMM which doesn't really have a whole lot of weaknesses. Toss are a lot more vunerable becasue their main counter is the phoenix, but even then a combined arms group of stalkers, sentries and a few other units will do a number on mutas.

Ugh read other posts prior. You are only talking about mutas thinking I only have mutas. Wanna counter mutas only? Go right ahead.. its not the only thing I build.

Hieberrr

Can someone explain to me how on earth some people are doubling and tripling my level of resources?

Seriously.. I feel like such a noob :lol

Raide

Hieberrr said:
Can someone explain to me how on earth some people are doubling and tripling my level of resources?

Seriously.. I feel like such a noob :lol

More bases?
More Drones/SCVs/Probes?
High Yield Minerals?
Terrans using lots of Mules?
Stealing?

AcridMeat

Banned
Won said:
Someone needs to tell Terran players that Marauders can't shoot in the air.

Shh, I panic when I'm being attacked and send everything over. :lol

But, I finally found a build order for Terran I'm happy with! With it I got my first real legitimate win with a friend, which bumped us up in the copper division from 58th to 23rd.

Just had a FFA match to test it out, took out two bases but eventually lost to the 4th person. Still led the game with over 150,000 points. :D

This game gets extremely fun if you get some successful games in.

edit: Oh, and Banshees are so worth it.

I need some friends. My name is electricblue.eblue. I'm sort of a noob. I just know the basics and I'm trying to learn by watching other people play on Youtube and learning the hotkeys and stuff

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I guess this is general PC question but its for SC2/Vent chat, what type of headset should I look into for good quality? I want USB connection since its a pain in the ass to get to headset jacks on my pc, plus I want good enough quality for skype when I go to UK for a month.
Is there any real difference from the 20-30 dollar ones to the 50+ dollar ones besides for listening to music?

JWong

Banned
I can say that USB ones are a pain...

I accidently bought a USB one and it really screws with my sound settings everytime I plug it in.

TurtleSnatcher said:
Ugh read other posts prior. You are only talking about mutas thinking I only have mutas. Wanna counter mutas only? Go right ahead.. its not the only thing I build.

According to your post, you don't let people tech to Thors (tier 2.5 unit), a unit of 24 mutalisks has nothing to fear against missile turrets (24 mutas will actually lose 3-4 units vs 3 turrets, which is more than it costs for the turrets by a fair amount and gives the enemy time to send in units) and mutas rape marines (marines pretty much hard counter mutas). All of these fall into a pretty standard terran build, a bio ball is a pretty good core for the army, thor just makes for nice support and a few turrets are a reasonable investment. Even if you have other units the terran player should have options for countering mutas without gimping themselves against anything else.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
AcridMeat said:
But, I finally found a build order for Terran I'm happy with! With it I got my first real legitimate win with a friend, which bumped us up in the copper division from 58th to 23rd.

Just had a FFA match to test it out, took out two bases but eventually lost to the 4th person. Still led the game with over 150,000 points. :D

This game gets extremely fun if you get some successful games in.

edit: Oh, and Banshees are so worth it.
what's the build order?

remz

What is it with people in the copper league being like "o well I lose :(" before trying to surprise attack me?

dishonorable bastards

remz said:
What is it with people in the copper league being like "o well I lose :(" before trying to surprise attack me?

dishonorable bastards

I know. GG is supposed to mean "gg I'm going to quit now". Isn't it an automatic concession in tourney play?

Apath

remz said:

dishonorable bastards
Honor and pride in doing what ever it takes to secure that win.

hobart

Yah that was my point in a prior post. A lot of these newer people just don't follow the "sportsmanship" aspect of the game and it's really annoying.

.....almost as annoying as map hacking friends you've made on a forum :D

Bottom line is... play until its over. It's kinda like mat sports or cage fighting... you gotta keep the hold on until the ref comes and calls the match.

remz

hobart said:
Yah that was my point in a prior post. A lot of these newer people just don't follow the "sportsmanship" aspect of the game and it's really annoying.

.....almost as annoying as map hacking friends you've made on a forum :D

Bottom line is... play until its over. It's kinda like mat sports or cage fighting... you gotta keep the hold on until the ref comes and calls the match.
I'm too nice for that!

guess I have to train myself into a heartless bastard, aye

Sorry I left my client on when I left the house :p I didn't really think it would stay logged in for hours :lol

Anyway I added those of you who contacted me. I'm down for a game whenever

hobart

valenti said:
Dude, nothing is more annoying than seeing gaffers online every day yet they don't play with you.

I tend to leave my comp on with SC2 still logged :/

I dunno, val... We've been getting quite a few games late night with GAFers... 11EST seems pretty popular. Last night we were rolling a few 2v2s around 8EST. Nothing too consistent... but... I see a lot of the same faces generally.

Cheeto

valenti said:
Dude, nothing is more annoying than seeing gaffers online every day yet they don't play with you.
I'll play! I'm always up for 2v2s and whatnot. Does anyone have/know of a vent server that we can use?

valenti said:

I'm sorry about that one time last week! Didn't see your message until I had a "player found" while matchmaking.

I would like to play some big FFA or 4v4 games with gaf

AcridMeat

Banned
Scrow said:
what's the build order?

I got it off of this blog post. I noticed that just naturally I do things a little bit quicker, and I haven't had as much success today (friend and I were crushed 2 or 3 times and we're now 50th on our ladder :lol).

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
how do you get into silver league from bronze? because ranking up to first would be a maaad grind if thats it

NovemberMike said:

You didnt read other posts.. Like another person mentioned.. I'm not gonna take a group of 24 mutas right into a couple Thors faces..

A well micro'd ball of mutas can be absolute hell for someone. Hell they can snipe a factory in 5-10 secs if they wanted too. Thats what I mean about holding tech etc.

Also a good counter to Thors is Lings .. Something most muta people pump out as its a good way to spend extra mins as gas is the choke. With a mass of lings being sent into to lure fire away and cause chaos along with a ball of mutas coming on top.. it can wreck a bio ball fairly well.

I'm not saying a Terran is doomed.. but you seem to thing Mutas are like trash in the game yet they are pretty much the strongest air unit in the game at the moment.

Zzoram

remz said:
So keep pwnign and eventually you go up?

what kinda ratio you need?

The exact forumla is kept secret by Blizzard because they want to avoid abuse or something.

All we know is the goal of the League system is to put everyone in a place where they can win ~40-60% of games. If your ratio gets much more extreme then that, it might move you to a new League. However, it's unclear if there is a time buffer between League placement that prevents people from swinging too frequently between Leagues.

Also it's not just win ratio, but opponent difficulty that affects the system. This is because losing to a bunch of Favored opponents isn't as bad as losing to opponents you are Favored against. We know that Favor makes a difference because 2 people can get 4-1 for their placement matches and end up in Gold or Platinum.

fanboi

Banned
Sorry msv for the DT rush again... :)

Nice EU inofficial GAF tournament yesterday.

And Ozo, we have to settle the best player in EU gaf

TurtleSnatcher said:
You didnt read other posts.. Like another person mentioned.. I'm not gonna take a group of 24 mutas right into a couple Thors faces..

A well micro'd ball of mutas can be absolute hell for someone. Hell they can snipe a factory in 5-10 secs if they wanted too. Thats what I mean about holding tech etc.

Also a good counter to Thors is Lings .. Something most muta people pump out as its a good way to spend extra mins as gas is the choke. With a mass of lings being sent into to lure fire away and cause chaos along with a ball of mutas coming on top.. it can wreck a bio ball fairly well.

I'm not saying a Terran is doomed.. but you seem to thing Mutas are like trash in the game yet they are pretty much the strongest air unit in the game at the moment.

Before the last patch they were probably the most powerful unit in the game, but the patch just made static defenses a lot better, which nerfed the muta quite a bit in their ability to harass. Missile turrets just got their damage nearly doubled, photon cannons got knocked up to 300 HP and spore colonies got cheaper, not to mention the Thor moving to AOE damage. They aren't horrible or anything, but they've had their ability to effectively harass greatly reduced.

zoukka

Tears flow from my eyes because I can't play more than a few matches per day... and I feel I had potential if I could practice.

Won

NovemberMike said:
Before the last patch they were probably the most powerful unit in the game, but the patch just made static defenses a lot better, which nerfed the muta quite a bit in their ability to harass. Missile turrets just got their damage nearly doubled, photon cannons got knocked up to 300 HP and spore colonies got cheaper, not to mention the Thor moving to AOE damage. They aren't horrible or anything, but they've had their ability to effectively harass greatly reduced.

I had no big problem with harrassing a Terran base with turrets with 6 Banshees yesterday. Can't imagine 24 Mutas struggling there.

It's come to this, I'm actively looking on craigslist for a cheap 30 or 40 dollar key, curse you blizzard!

I've been watching some of the games from you all's 1v1 tourney, unfortunately I don't remember who it was but wtf lifting off and building in a smaller base with a smaller choke?! lol amusing at least, gg's

Won said:
I had no big problem with harrassing a Terran base with turrets with 6 Banshees yesterday. Can't imagine 24 Mutas struggling there.

Banshees are actually significantly better against turrets than mutas. Missile Turrets have 7 range while banshees have 6 and mutas have 3, which means that mutas will often take damage from 3+ turrets while shees are taking damage from 1, Banshees have more health, and Banshees do about 2.5x the damage against turrets that mutas do.

EDIT: Found some numbers. Mutas should be doing about 6 dps if they don't have a valid target to jump to (ie. the jump target hits a supply depot or something). Banshees are doing about 20 dps. The turrets are doing about 28 dps and have 2x the health of a muta and more than 2x the range. If you start microing a muta back too late it will often be dead before it actually gets out of the range of the turret.

Top Bottom