• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
aznpxdd said:
Man I'm such a whore. I think I am now in 2v2 Platinum with the following:

Panda
Alum
Valenti
Haz
Zealous

(all 5-0 in placement I believe)

then...

Pez in Silver :lol
Delt is SC2 GAF's bicycle confirmed.

aznpxdd

Can we get some 3v3 in this bitch already?

BTW, Val's macro is pretty impressive. Always have higher resource gathering rate than me. :(

aznpxdd said:
Can we get some 3v3 in this bitch already?
Pshh you never play with me anymore.. Totally never gaming with you in SC2 again!

EDIT: We also did 2v2's early.. when all the hardcore got on instantly and wanted to do placement right after patch.

So our placement was probably hardcore platinum guys while your placement right now is probably like a good mix of terrble players and good players.

aznpxdd

TurtleSnatcher said:
Pshh you never play with me anymore.. Totally never gaming with you in SC2 again!

EDIT: We also did 2v2's early.. when all the hardcore got on instantly and wanted to do placement right after patch.

So our placement was probably hardcore platinum guys while your placement right now is probably like a good mix of terrble players and good players.

I just remember...we got outplayed 1 game and got proxied once. That guaranteed a silver already. =\

Haly

Tech Zealots ---> Owned by MMM
Mass Stalker ---> Out Macroed
DT Cheese -----> CC scouted then reaver raped

I can't play protoss for shit :(

Haly

Okay so basically.

Never stop making workers, there's no such thing as a worker surplus! If you have too many workers, expand.

Less teching early game, more making a defensive army.

Don't go for high yield unless you know you can defend it.

Always scout around your base to make sure you don't get proxied.

HDStarcraft shows us the "shift queue" blink move. Basically, it's a way to easily get a large group of stalkers across any chasm very quickly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrDemA_6xsw
Interesting, I love stalkers so this will be useful.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Halycon said:
Never stop making workers, there's no such thing as a worker surplus! If you have too many workers, expand.
i dunno, i think it's situational. there's no point expanding if you're unable to defend it or you're betting on the chance that it's not found for a long time. otherwise you're just wasting resources that could be better spent on upgrading or producing a larger army.

surplus workers aren't a huge problem for terran or zerg. it's always good to have a few spare SCVs or drones to produce new buildings without having to pull any off resource gathering. but it's very wasteful for a protoss to have surplus workers.

Haly

Scrow said:
i dunno, i think it's situational. there's no point expanding if you're unable to defend it or you're betting on the chance that it's not found for a long time. otherwise you're just wasting resources that could be better spent on upgrading or producing a larger army.

surplus workers aren't a huge problem for terran or zerg. it's always good to have a few spare SCVs or drones to produce new buildings without having to pull any off resource gathering. but it's very wasteful for a protoss to have surplus workers.
Since nexus takes a long time to get up i think surplus workers is helpful to immediately start getting the income from your expac once the nexus finishes but I haven't had enough chances to try it out

I wish I could easily see my unit count. Toss is way too different from zerg.

JWong

Banned
Watching yesterday... or two days ago.

Those korean players barely make workers. In fact, they just let them die most of the time.

The painful Violet vs Light battle made me cry when Violet didn't even mine anymore to build more forces.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
fanboi said:
Here is a replay of mine.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YQQ09S1C

Anyone wants to give pointers of what Im doing bad/good?

Cheers!
well... you won, so there's not much to say except GG ;)

you're probably a better player than i am, so i feel silly giving advice.... but i reckon you really needed to throw some roaches onto the front line to soak up the damage. zerglings melt away too quickly if you don't have them in large enough numbers and hydras are too soft to sustain the incoming damage from marines and tanks. hydras can wreak a lot of havoc if they have a meat shield protecting them.

Paz

Halycon said:
Since nexus takes a long time to get up i think surplus workers is helpful to immediately start getting the income from your expac once the nexus finishes but I haven't had enough chances to try it out

I wish I could easily see my unit count. Toss is way too different from zerg.

Just learn how many units fill up one row of the unit bar, drag a selection and you can get a good guess.

Helps heaps for checking probe counts, you want 2 full rows minimum on minerals at a normal base.

Paz

Zzoram said:
I just can't seem to win ZvT, it's by far my worst matchup.

General tips:

-Expand early, all Terran units are vulnerable to lings early in the game before they get a large clump with stim or upgraded hellions.
-If the Terran gets a well defended expansion up don't panic and attack him, instead simply take more expansions than he has so you are consistently able to out produce and counter him.
-Avoid army compositions that include more than a handful of roaches, almost all Terran units are good against roaches.
-Use static defense, crawlers are now possibly the best static defense in the game that deal a huge amount of damage and come rather cheap, don't be afraid of chucking down 5-6 crawlers at various points on the map to secure your economic advantage. And if you believe even for one second that he is banshee rushing then a spore crawler at every base is needed.
-Upgrades! Usually this match will continue on to more than just 1 base vs 1 base and in this scenario it never hurts to have a few upgrades, lings attack so fast and do so little damage per hit that a single upgrade can make an incredible difference to their battle capabilities.

ZvT is a lot like night elf vs human in wc3, you need to have more bases and more tech and you cannot really push them - But it's balanced because you CAN have more bases and more tech, that is the strength of your race.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Paz said:
Just learn how many units fill up one row of the unit bar, drag a selection and you can get a good guess.

Helps heaps for checking probe counts, you want 2 full rows minimum on minerals at a normal base.
i usually just drag or ctrl select the workers and then bind them to a control group which shows how many units there are in the control group.

Zzoram

Paz said:
General tips:

-Expand early, all Terran units are vulnerable to lings early in the game before they get a large clump with stim or upgraded hellions.
-If the Terran gets a well defended expansion up don't panic and attack him, instead simply take more expansions than he has so you are consistently able to out produce and counter him.
-Avoid army compositions that include more than a handful of roaches, almost all Terran units are good against roaches.
-Use static defense, crawlers are now possibly the best static defense in the game that deal a huge amount of damage and come rather cheap, don't be afraid of chucking down 5-6 crawlers at various points on the map to secure your economic advantage. And if you believe even for one second that he is banshee rushing then a spore crawler at every base is needed.
-Upgrades! Usually this match will continue on to more than just 1 base vs 1 base and in this scenario it never hurts to have a few upgrades, lings attack so fast and do so little damage per hit that a single upgrade can make an incredible difference to their battle capabilities.

ZvT is a lot like night elf vs human in wc3, you need to have more bases and more tech and you cannot really push them - But it's balanced because you CAN have more bases and more tech, that is the strength of your race.

I find banshee into MMM Terrans are super hard to counter. The problem is it's hard to scout Terran, so you almost have to assume Banshee, but if you do, you'll tech up to Hydra too quickly and not have a sufficient army to hande MMM.

Spores are useless vs more than 1 Banshee, and you need several to cover each base due to all the angles a Banshee can attack from.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
has anyone used the Ghost's Snipe ability to good effect?

on paper it seems like the most pointless ability in the game, but maybe someone has found an interesting way to use it?

Paz

Zzoram said:
I find banshee into MMM Terrans are super hard to counter. The problem is it's hard to scout Terran, so you almost have to assume Banshee, but if you do, you'll tech up to Hydra too quickly and not have a sufficient army to hande MMM.

Spores are useless vs more than 1 Banshee, and you need several to cover each base due to all the angles a Banshee can attack from.

Try leaving an overlord or 2 near the terran base, and when you have secured your economic advantage with the early expansion send one of them into the back of his base.

The information costs 100 minerals but it can be game changing.

As for the spore crawler complaint, it is one of the most powerful static AA's in the game and can move to cover more angles if you need to build more of them. However your point stands and banshees will be able to take it down - The use of the single spore crawler at each base is more of a deterrent for the super early 1-2 banshee rush that is currently popular, it also allows you to see cloaked banshees which if you do not have a detector can be instant gg.

The idea is the spore crawler buys you time, 1-2 minutes in which you should be able to easily tech a hard counter (hydra or muta, or even more spore crawlers if you are a long way off your tech). Try not to think of static defense as a counter as it is more of an assistant, the crawlers can deter small numbers of hellions or banshees but are not a hard counter to a 50 population army.

And when in doubt expand again!

Won

Scrow said:

on paper it seems like the most pointless ability in the game, but maybe someone has found an interesting way to use it?

Each snipe kills one Drone. Up to 8 snipes on one Ghost. No cooldown. Hmmm maybe......

chris-013

Paz said:
General tips:

Fast marauders push with good micro is very dangerous against zergs... and zealtos. ;P

Paz

chris-013 said:
Fast marauders push with good micro is very dangerous against zergs... and zealtos. ;P

Speed lings are quite good against marauders, far better than either zealots or stalkers or roaches.

if you try to play equal bases against a terran of equal skill, you will probably lose

Haly

Just watched the first Cool Trick video with the Nydus mining. Hilarity, if only it could be automated.

What's the shortcut for selecting all buildings of the same type?

fanboi

Banned
Scrow said:
well... you won, so there's not much to say except GG ;)

you're probably a better player than i am, so i feel silly giving advice.... but i reckon you really needed to throw some roaches onto the front line to soak up the damage. zerglings melt away too quickly if you don't have them in large enough numbers and hydras are too soft to sustain the incoming damage from marines and tanks. hydras can wreak a lot of havoc if they have a meat shield protecting them.

hmm.. why I dont go roaches is due to that I want to have hydras fast...

Will try it though.

That stalker blink video is pretty cool. I haven't really used blink too much, although it apppears to be pretty damn powerful as you can blink anywhere you have vision.

syoaran

chris-013 said:

Chris - whats your tag ingame after the wipe?

As for fast maruders aganist zerg - unless they went roaches I never see that work. Aganist zerglings, just get helions to kite them away from the MM push, get the MM into the base with the marines in back in case the 'lings retreat back to the base. If you upgraded the Hellions (doubtful - but it happens) and and the zerg player took the bait of ganking the 3 hellions it works very very well.

aznpxdd said:
Wow nice, I gotta practice this sometimes.
Hope you don't abandon terran. Honestly you may not have the best rush with them now but you still can hold your own early game. Likewise you have the best end game I've seen with a terran player yet.

Milabrega

TurtleSnatcher said:

TurtleSnatcher said:
Hope you don't abandon terran. Honestly you may not have the best rush with them now but you still can hold your own early game. Likewise you have the best end game I've seen with a terran player yet.

Looks like Pez is trying to mend his broken relationship. That's real starcraft love right there, willing to look past all the acts of infidelity and at the same time to be the one to reach out with a blossom of compliments.

Milabrega said:
Looks like Pez is trying to mend his broken relationship. That's real starcraft love right there, willing to look past all the acts of infidelity and at the same time to be the one to reach out with a blossom of compliments.
lol

Yet we both admitted were partner whores.

I've partnered with Haz, Vautrin, and Panda.

Not with Mil. God who would partner with Mil?

Won

Weird. Every game ends with me building Battlecruisers lately. I just can't get enough of them. *pewpewpew*

Meeru

Banned
I give up trying to play with some of the gaffers here :lol

I was able to play with procarbine, deltron, electricblue, dread, and nacho tho

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
TurtleSnatcher said:
lol

thats not moe man, mil is a sensitive soul. he understands. he's the only who can truly complete me. and my 11 pool into roach.

Scrow said:

Pick off harvesters you've missed from a nuke if you're going for a base attack after the bomb hits. I personally don't really expect my ghost to survive after most nuke attacks, so you might as well up those 8 shots.

aznpxdd

TurtleSnatcher said:
lol

No one that's who. He's just mad he's not one of our whores.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Scrow said:

A single snipe can kill a marine without a shield.

Top Bottom