• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

DemiMatt

tonight myself vs pyro gf aka misteranderson.

8-9pm PST.

1185421530773.jpg

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ice Monkey said:
it's a military reference, not just full metal jacket.

Oh. Well I heard it in FMJ, didn't know it was standard military lexicon. Any particular branch?

ZealousD said:
Oh. Well I heard it in FMJ, didn't know it was standard military lexicon. Any particular branch?

well for all i know the miltary started saying it because of full metal jacket but it just means you're the guy back at base using the recon equipment or whatever instead of being on the front lines

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
mcrae said:
what does this even mean?
it means you've been bad and should sit in the corner with the dunce cap on.

that thread was made specifically so key begging no longer happened in here. evilore stated that any further key begging in this thread would result in a ban, so do it at your own risk.

lolz. The hype for your tourney matches is hilarious.

Then again I saw Coolio beat Terp. This was epic since terp coulda won the 1st game so easily :lol

JWong

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:
lolz. The hype for your tourney matches is hilarious.

Then again I saw Coolio beat Terp. This was epic since terp coulda won the 1st game so easily :lol
I couldn't believe it either...

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Hazaro said:
No need for a pencil sharpener here Panda.
hey, he's gold 1v1 too, so i will summon all the powers of moe to defeat him.

when its done he'll be all like "NOOOO, DON'T DO IT REINFORCE-CHAN! DON'T SACRIFICE YOURSELF!"

and he will know sadness. ;_;

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Pandaman said:

when its done he'll be all like "NOOOO, DON'T DO IT REINFORCE-CHAN! DON'T SACRIFICE YOURSELF!"

What the hell are you on man :lol :lol :lol

"IN THE NAME OF THE MOE, I WILL PUNISH YOU" *sparkle*

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
also terproerg, apparently you challenged my roommate when he was using my account and he said "no thanks", then "maybe later". that might of been confusing but yeah, that wasn't me :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Pandaman said:

what.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Halycon said:
What the hell are you on man :lol :lol :lol

"IN THE NAME OF THE MOE, I WILL PUNISH YOU" *sparkle*
lets just say that i was quite qualified to take my tag to heart when i got it. :lol

Wedge7

valenti said:
gj wedge :) who is that on your avatar btw?

Ty man, match sorta reminded me of the TvT we played hehe

She's Koo Hye Sun, basically got a huge crush on her after watching Boys Over Flowers

Meeru

Banned
Wedge7 said:
Ty man, match sorta reminded me of the TvT we played hehe

She's Koo Hye Sun, basically got a huge crush on her after watching Boys Over Flowers
Wait a sec your avatar was someone else earlier lol.

But yeah the girl now I recognize her since I watched the drama too (well not all of it but someone of it). Been a while since I watched korean dramas..ob/gyn seems to be pretty popular

Han ga in is my crush :O~

Vaporak

Hey gaf I what's your general game plan against Terran when playing Protoss? I'm just at a complete loss as to what to do. The only time I ever win vs Terran is just when they're bad at macro. If we're even remotely close in macro/micro skill the Terran wins every time. :/

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
While Im not great, but as Protoss against terran it depends on their build, scout as much as possible. If they go heavy MMM then I pump out colossus with support with sentrys and zealots.

I use to make the mistake of going heavy air against terran when I got the game and get demolished by the marine ball :lol

Vaporak

Corran Horn said:
While Im not great, but as Protoss against terran it depends on their build, scout as much as possible. If they go heavy MMM then I pump out colossus with support with sentrys and zealots.

I use to make the mistake of going heavy air against terran when I got the game and get demolished by the marine ball :lol

I know Colossai and High Templar counter MMM pretty well, but they seem entirely useless in practice as both I and the Terran player know that the counter units are both tier 3. So the big bio ball just rolls over my army before I can ever get enough counter units out.

Zzoram

Vaporak said:
I know Colossai and High Templar counter MMM pretty well, but they seem entirely useless in practice as both I and the Terran player know that the counter units are both tier 3. So the big bio ball just rolls over my army before I can ever get enough counter units out.

Learn to apply early pressure like Protoss players do to Terrans in SC1. Use your first Stalker to peck at the wall-in, and keep adding more to the group. Marines can't hit Stalkers from behind the wall, so he'll have to waste considerable money repairing constantly if he doesn't want to die.

IceMarker

As a Terran player, I can safely say that Colossi are effective if you have enough to back up a ton of Zealots and also High Templars are not that effective unless you can micro well, otherwise I usually focus fire on them first.

Also, remember that the Colossus can be attacked by anti-air means which means if I have anti-air turrets near my ramp (which I usually do) it means your colossus will go down that much faster.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
4-0 since using the MMM ball. Almost feels like cheating :lol

Anyone care to inform me on what the optimum ratio is of MMM? I usually have somewhere around 2:1:1 (marine:maruader:medi) but I think that may be too many medivacs?

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Datwheezy said:

Anyone care to inform me on what the optimum ratio is of MMM? I usually have somewhere around 2:1:1 (marine:maruader:medi) but I think that may be too many medivacs?
if you're winning and it's working for you, why change the ratio?

btw, what's your build order? how many barracks? how many starports? what addons do you use and when? what size is the army before you send it out? do you do armor and weapon upgrades? stim?

DemiMatt said:
as a terran player I can only say that Banshees are the way to go in every situation!
i agree, they're awesome. i want to try sending them out before cloak is finished, harrass a few times, then the opponents respond with anti-air, then a throw a curve ball by suddenly cloaking them. hopefully they haven't thought to prepare for this with detectors since the banshees have been cruising around without cloak for a while.

Paz

Zzoram said:
Learn to apply early pressure like Protoss players do to Terrans in SC1. Use your first Stalker to peck at the wall-in, and keep adding more to the group. Marines can't hit Stalkers from behind the wall, so he'll have to waste considerable money repairing constantly if he doesn't want to die.

no no no! Beware the idea that you can pressure a Terran in the current state, you will just lose units to marauders unless they are straight teching to banshee. Not only do marauders kite stalkers but they straight up counter them in a fair fight.

Didn't mean to jump on you Zzoram but that can be dangerous advice with the new Terran build of straight marauders that is so popular right now, a week ago you could get away with it fine.

General advice:

-Scout early, either your 9 probe or your 10 probe after building the pylon, look specifically for how early his gas is and what buildings are in his base.
-A Terran with an early gas is either reaper or marauder rushing you - in either case you need to tech to a stalker ASAP and build 1 zealot in the mean time to take the hits instead of your probes, also cut probe production if it is slowing down your ability to get a cybernetics core and a single stalker that you place in your mineral line.
-If the Terran is doing a more standard build without an early gas it is absolutely key that you see his rax in his base, if he does not have a rax in his base or he has a slow rax and no gas then you are 100% being proxy rushed, in this case throw down an extra gate ignore the cybernetics/gas and just pump out zealots while a probe from your base finds the proxy buildings.. 2 gates pumping zealots with chrono boost can defeat almost any kind of terran proxy rush.
-In the event of a game lasting past the 4 minute mark (which it should if you're aware of the 2 scenarios I just explained) then you need to keep scouting and reacting to your enemy, rush for a robotics facility (probably with 1 gate if he isn't rushing you) and chrono boost out an observe, send it over to his base to see what he's up to.
-Continue to build gates at this point as 3 gates with the warpgate upgrade and 1 robo facility can safely counter just about any terran build
-If he has a few rax's with tech labs he is going for a bio ball of marine/marauder and later medivacs, in this scenario you need to build an immortal or two along with a bunch of zealots, maybe 1-2 stalker and 1-2 sentry, limiting the amount of stalker/sentry you build throughout the game should allow you to build a robotics bay while making your 1-2 immortal and smoothly transition into colossus. You want to avoid large groups of stalker/immortal since even though they hard counter marauder you will lose to players who know how to use emp, this is why colossus WITH the range upgrade are a much better unit to transition to.
-If he has starports with tech labs, you are in trouble but it can be dealt with. First bring your observer back to your base because nothing is more annoying than stealth banshees, start warping in a mixture of stalkers and sentries from your 3 gates while slapping down a forge, you should now be able to hold off his attack and safely expand while slapping 2 cannons at each of your mineral lines as banshees are a significant investment and he wont have a real ground army for ~2 more minutes (if he chooses to transition at all).
-Remember that when you expand (which you should do ANY time you feel you have ANY kind of advantage, regardless of how small it is) you need to increase your production facilities and add a tech tree, my favorite way of doing this is slapping down another 3-5 warpgates and adding a twilight council/templar archives, this gives you access to an instant army anywhere you want with tier 1, 2, and 3 units. Templars are great for crowd control or using feedback on terran units such as the medivac, banshee, thor, ghost, or battle cruiser. You will end up with a huge amount of spare minerals if you go the templar route which is why having ~10 gates can be a good thing as it allows you to spam down some zealots or also build photon cannons at weak areas of your base (or a new expansion).

The important stuff to remember in PVT is to keep your cool and always be aware of what the Terran player is doing, you should have the advantage if you stay 1 step ahead of him on scouting and use the appropriate counters, sadly some scenarios are just kind of bullshit (terran air on scrap station for example or really good terrans who know how to best use EMP) but you should be able to put up a good fight if you know what you are walking into.

Paz

Datwheezy said:

Probably want more marauders in your mix there and less medivacs, but if it's working for you why change it :)

Also remember to upgrade! Attack upgrades and stimpacks are key, marine shields (especially for the number of marines you seem to be building) are amazing and defense upgrades will help your marauders a ton as they are already tanky.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Paz said:
Probably want more marauders in your mix there and less medivacs, but if it's working for you why change it :)

Also remember to upgrade! Attack upgrades and stimpacks are key, marine shields (especially for the number of marines you seem to be building) are amazing and defense upgrades will help your marauders a ton as they are already tanky.
what's your opinion on double engineering bays for concurrent armor and weapon upgrades? worth it?

Pachinko

Scrow said:
what's your opinion on double engineering bays for concurrent armor and weapon upgrades? worth it?

I suck at the game but that sounds like early game resources better spent on more troops. Or tech 2/tech 3 units.

Can you use the recycle command on an engineering bay ?

zoukka

I don't play terran, but I seem to have far more trouble with medivac heavy MMM balls, than the usual ones. I play zerg.

Unless of course I go mass baneling.

I suck at the game but that sounds like early game resources better spent on more troops. Or tech 2/tech 3 units.

Actually the Terran bio upgrades are great for they give bonuses to both marines and marauders. The damage upgrades are priority cause the ball does quick shots of low damage. Much like upgrading the melee for zerglings.

And double bay/evolution chamber/whatever is good if you're not perfect with macro.

Paz

Scrow said:

With an expansion, and your production buildings are mostly barracks, YES.

Otherwise, probably not.

So yeah it can be a good idea, but doing it without a strong economy or force to use it with is not such a good idea.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
AoE Cap EMP please.

It's the skill gets better the more units they have and I don't think anyone can feedback a ghost in the middle of an MMM ball except for David Kim.

Paz

Halycon said:
AoE Cap EMP please.

It's the skill gets better the more units they have and I don't think anyone can feedback a ghost in the middle of an MMM ball except for David Kim.

Unit or 'damage' cap it, or make it do its effect over time like storm.

Right now EMP is just amazing vs protoss.

Top Bottom