• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Meeru

Banned
Paz said:
Unit or 'damage' cap it, or make it do its effect over time like storm.

Right now EMP is just amazing vs protoss.
Oh heck no, not after they lowered the aoe from 3 to 2.

fanboi said:
maruder medic ghost? (or marine)
Yeah marine marauder ghost.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
fanboi said:
maruder medic ghost? (or marine)
ah right.

i personally liked MRM (marauder, reaper, medic). great for taking buildings down quickly, but you're fucked if your enemy get some AtG units.

Damn Panda and I just played a Twilight Fortress game where our opponents were T and P and just constantly nonstop attacked us.. Hard rush early.. then just kept following it up with more and more units.

He had a ton of Zealots and only Zealots and his partner had Marauders and some marines.

Panda had a nice choke on our base and got stim really quickly while i just pumped zlings. Thankfully zlings never cost enough mins even with 3 hatcheries at full larvae so I teched slowly to Mutas.. then we went in for the kill while Panda held them off.

It was pretty fun amazingly.

zoukka

Scrow said:
ah right.

i personally liked MRM (marauder, reaper, medic). great for taking buildings down quickly, but you're fucked if your enemy get some AtG units.

Reapers in a ball are bad. You lose the major advantage (as in reapers going commando) and marauders would destroy buildings too. And not lose to everyone :b

Meeru

Banned
Vautrin and I played a game where we were about to have a very big battle, but it was short lived cuz I just nuked their army lol.

JWong

Banned
-COOLIO- said:
i wish massing ghosts was a viable strat. theyre such cool units.
Micro snipe and nuke push. lol

Edit: Wow, I was watching the finals of the Triple Strike Team cup. I mean, what is this tourney?

All of the games were so fail because of noob moves. Are they really pro? First 3 games on HDStarcraft's channel were just made of fail.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
zoukka said:
Unbelievable micro against this Idra guy. Guess he's a good player, but here he looks like a toddler.

And he's a total dickhead too in his other games :b
wow, that was a pleasure to watch.

not a word was spoken, but you could tell there were bitter tears from that idra douche.

Milabrega

Idra's meltdowns are fun, but orb's are far and away the most entertaining. Simply because if you watch his stream it happens so frequently.

This is a really stupid question, but do the geysers at high yield mineral patches also have a high yield property? I ask because It seems I never have enough gas for anything, while I have plenty of minerals.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
BlueScrote said:
This is a really stupid question, but do the geysers at high yield mineral patches also have a high yield property? I ask because It seems I never have enough gas for anything, while I have plenty of minerals.
Use Turtle's Way of the Gasless Swarm to defeat your opponents!

(Do you have enough workers on the gas? What race are you playing?)

Gas is a bottleneck for most strategies so if you have extra minerals then you can:

-Make more basic production buildings
-Make more workers for your expansions (and get more mineral surplus I guess)
-Make more T1 units (they're never a bad thing)
-Make supply units so you have a bit of leeway on the unit cap if you need to divert your attention from macro to micro
-Expand to get some more gas
-Create towers to help defend expos and provide detection

Also make sure you're spending gas smartly. Don't tech too early if you don't need it ASAP. Don't make gas intensive units if they're not going to counter something/integral part of your strategy. Don't make buildings that need gas unless you're going to use them.

zoukka

BlueScrote said:

Just balance ur production. Don't mass several gas costly units.

Haly

The Lamonster said:
pls explain
It's a joke on how Pez always seems to have enough gas to put out 10 mutas the moment spire goes up.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Halycon said:
It's a joke on how Pez always seems to have enough gas to put out 10 mutas the moment spire goes up.
:lol
Pez always needs more gas. i should just start sending it to him to save me the trouble.

Milabrega

Terproerg, wanna set a time for our Round 3 match up or just catch ya when I catch ya? When you aren't making tea that is. Lucky us, winner gets Pandaman. Two weeks ago I would have been excited about that match up, but after last week's 0-6 rough up I be scurred.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Milabrega said:
Terproerg, wanna set a time for our Round 3 match up or just catch ya when I catch ya? When you aren't making tea that is. Lucky us, winner gets Pandaman. Two weeks ago I would have been excited about that match up, but after last week's 0-6 rough up I be scurred.
lets not act like you haven't run trains on me before mila, you're not free. not by a long shot. :p

vs ter my record is even worse. :lol

Haly

TurtleSnatcher said:
After seeing Terp lose to Coolio.

I'm declaring Terp free.
Tip for Mila.

Play Terp at 2-3AM EST.

He gets progressively more free after midnight.

Haly

TurtleSnatcher said:
Also just turtle.

He will never come in adn then you can go BC's/Broodlords/Carriers for free.!
Watch out for the 2-3 Ultra Nydus drop!

fatty

Milabrega said:
Idra's meltdowns are fun, but orb's are far and away the most entertaining. Simply because if you watch his stream it happens so frequently.

Can anyone point me to some VODs of some good meltdowns? Need something to do during lunch.

Freki

taken from TL - take them with a grain of salt...
StarCraft II Beta � Patch 8 (version 0.10.0.14803)

The latest patch notes can always be found on the StarCraft II Beta General Discussion forum.

General

Korea
Added support to display the game rating information on the login screen.

Balance Changes

TERRAN
Thor
Build time decreased from 75 seconds to 60 seconds.
Siege Tank
Build time decreased from 50 seconds to 45 seconds.
Marauder
Concussive Shells now require an upgrade.
Barracks Tech Lab
Concussive Shells upgrade added.
Concussive Shells upgrade costs 100/100 and takes 80 seconds to complete.

PROTOSS
Void Ray
Changed to only have 2 damage levels instead of 3. Still takes the same amount of time to fully charge.
Base damage changed from 2 (+4 armored) to 5.
Powered-up damage changed from 8 (+16 armored) to 10 (+15 armored).
Armor value decreased from 1 to 0.
Cost increased from 200/150 to 250/150.

ZERG
Roach
Burrowed move speed decreased from 2 to 1.4.
Armor value decreased from 2 to 1.
Hydralisk
Life decreased from 90 to 80.

Milabrega

Balance Changes

TERRAN
Thor
Build time decreased from 75 seconds to 60 seconds.

--- Thor is here!

Siege Tank
Build time decreased from 50 seconds to 45 seconds.

---Mech builds sure do look sexy now

Marauder
Concussive Shells now require an upgrade.

--- Dat just changed da game playa

Barracks Tech Lab
Concussive Shells upgrade added.
Concussive Shells upgrade costs 100/100 and takes 80 seconds to complete.

--- EMP you're next!!!

PROTOSS
Void Ray
Changed to only have 2 damage levels instead of 3. Still takes the same amount of time to fully charge.

--- Okay hopefully they increase the damage at the other tiers...

Base damage changed from 2 (+4 armored) to 5.

--- cool

Powered-up damage changed from 8 (+16 armored) to 10 (+15 armored).

--- Nice, wow finally Protoss gets some beneficial changes and not just ner....

Armor value decreased from 1 to 0.

--- Okay cool I can live with this with all the other changes to its damage output

Cost increased from 200/150 to 250/150.

--- Oh fucking damn it.

ZERG
Roach
Burrowed move speed decreased from 2 to 1.4.
Armor value decreased from 2 to 1.
Hydralisk
Life decreased from 90 to 80.

Another Round of Roach nerfs, this makes sense given the Marauder nerf though.

Freki said:
taken from TL - take them with a grain of salt...

there's lies, damned lies, and those patch notes from TL.

Hydras would have damage reduced before health reduced, they are already way too squishy.

void rays are already underpowered and nobody uses them (in my experience, anyone else disagree?), they may as well remove them from the game if they are gonna do any sort of nerf to them.

build times are understandable, probably the only thing here that makes any sense.

the marauder upgrade doesn't make any sense either, it's too low tech to really do anything to marauder effectiveness, 100/100 wont dent anybody's pocket to make any sort of difference, and look at the other upgrades at tech lab: the shield is understandable because it makes marines last two hits instead of one for many attacks and such so makes sense as an upgrade, the stimpack is an uber powerful buff with a drawback that again makes sense as an upgrade, and the nitro packs are something that are unnecessary but increase the reaper's surprise effectiveness and utility and thus makes sense as an upgrade. The marauder shells completely make the marauders unique instead of just being a heavy marine. They would nerf the slow or nerf the marauder damage before making it an upgrade.

The roach burrow speed seems rather stupid too because since when have you found yourself thinking "if only those burrowed roaches moved slower i would have caught them with my observer" or something? Obviously it shouldnt have been raised but lowered doesnt make sense to me.

I'm not 100% sure about this obviously but suffice it to say I have to ask what in the hell is blizzard smoking if these are the actual "problem areas" they are trying to address.

zoukka

Dunno, those seem pretty believable when you look at it from low/mid level perspective (the biggest customer group).

I mean a Void Ray rush can destroy someone with just one unit. Would seem pretty shitty in the eyes of a beginner.

Roach armor as of now is ridiculous considering its all other stats.

Nobody makes Thors.

Everybody masses Hydras. They rape.

Could be fake of course. I'm not good in this game or anything :b

Won

Surprised they actually did that Marauder change, if true. Started to believe Blizz wouldn't do change things like that even if it's necessary. Still would rather see Marauders and Roaches move up the tech tree instead of nerfing them.

actually i take back what i said about void rays, I dont even know what the hell they are doing with that change so i definitely shouldnt call it a nerf. It looks more like a "this is beta so lets try something completely different". maybe this will explain why they are only making marauders need an upgrade because they dont want to fuck with how marauders are used in general, just require a little additional time to get to full power?

Does anyone have any experience with marauders being particularly brutal in quick, cheesy rushes? Specifically with the slow completely demolishing any attempts to counter or something? I suppose that would explain it.

zoukka

Ice Monkey said:
Does anyone have any experience with marauders being particularly brutal in quick, cheesy rushes? Specifically with the slow completely demolishing any attempts to counter or something? I suppose that would explain it.

Well kiting marauders just kill any tier 1 units. And many tier 2 units too. They just are really fucking good. And if you are left with a handful of them after the first clash it's almost certain you'll destroy the opponents expo or even his main.

Milabrega

Marauder kiting was slightly powerful in TvP (they rock zealots) and TvZ, you needed Deltron levels of micro for it to appear slightly imba (even then it has more to do with apm and builds then actual balance). I guess they wanted to slow down the early game effectiveness of MTV and MM(M?)G builds. That extra gas and time could be seige tech or a ghost.

With the voids looks like they want them to be better mid/late game dps units (combined with speed upgrade) and not just the solid BC counter.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I'm guessing the marauder change is to keep them from being too good versus Zealots. Marauders aren't suppose to be a hard counter against zealots, but they are.

Void Ray nerf was pretty heavy. I don't really think decreasing the armor was necessary.

zoukka said:
Well kiting marauders just kill any tier 1 units. And many tier 2 units too. They just are really fucking good. And if you are left with a handful of them after the first clash it's almost certain you'll destroy the opponents expo or even his main.

i guess that makes sense. Most of the games i've played lately where i got hit by marines and marauders I sometimes lose the first push but just continue spamming lings until the marauders that are left are dead. I can't say anything about T or P because i am only decent with zerg.

zoukka

Ice Monkey said:
i guess that makes sense. Most of the games i've played lately where i got hit by marines and marauders I sometimes lose the first push but just continue spamming lings until the marauders that are left are dead. I can't say anything about T or P because i am only decent with zerg.

Yeah I do that too, but regular lings still are really weak against marauders. And you need to micro speedlings too to surround the mara's. Or they just kite away...

Ice Monkey said:
actually i take back what i said about void rays, I dont even know what the hell they are doing with that change so i definitely shouldnt call it a nerf. It looks more like a "this is beta so lets try something completely different". maybe this will explain why they are only making marauders need an upgrade because they dont want to fuck with how marauders are used in general, just require a little additional time to get to full power?

Zealots agst Terran may be less crappy now.. but 100/100 isnt that big honestly.

But an early Zealot Rush could prove annoying agst a Terran possibly - Especially a proxy.

Roach nerf again is a bit confusing. And on top of that a Hydra nerf.. Ugh. Marauders rake through everything they touch with stims..

Guess we will see more Zerglings now from Zerg. Maybe more banelings..

LaneDS

zoukka said:
Unbelievable micro against this Idra guy. Guess he's a good player, but here he looks like a toddler.

And he's a total dickhead too in his other games :b

The individual blinking away of units under fire was incredible to watch. Stalkers are so great (with blink).

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
that mar nerf is huge.

i like it.

warpray is still a buff in my eyes. 50 minerals isn't that big a deal in exchange for the extra damage.

Top Bottom