• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

on another note, every week/patch that goes by that isn't this fabled patch with 3v3, 4v4, new maps and mac client a little part of me dies inside. WHAT'S TAKING SO LONG BLIZZARD?!

zoukka

TurtleSnatcher said:
Roach nerf again is a bit confusing. And on top of that a Hydra nerf.. Ugh. Marauders rake through everything they touch with stims..

Yeah it was kinda disappointing not to see any improvements. Maybe you'll just have to spam blings to infinity against terrans :|

I would've hoped they did something to infested terran ability. It's the most useless thing ever :b

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Pandaman said:
that mar nerf is huge.

i like it.

warpray is still a buff in my eyes. 50 minerals isn't that big a deal in exchange for the extra damage.

What extra damage? It's just 1 point when fully charged. And that's WITH an armor decrease and lower initial damage too.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ZealousD said:
What extra damage? It's just 1 point when fully charged. And that's WITH an armor decrease and lower initial damage too.
higher initial damage.

its 2-4-8 now.
after patch it will be 5---10.

yah panda has it right.

also, thing that scares me: any hydra fully in a psi storm before it ends will now die... o_O

Sure, micro them out of there, but like your last 4 or 5 will be kaput if they stay the whole duration while trying to leave. if you dont micro them out then goodbye hydras.

ZealousD

You know, it just seems like there isn't as much incentive to get a Stargate anymore. Phoenixes are more of a reactive unit, not a proactive one. You might send 1 or 2 against Zerg as Overlord snipers but their overall usefulness is questionable. Void Rays are only useful in the early-mid game as base snipers, and that's just been nerfed. The carrier is the only real threat in there now, and going that route really hurts you in the mid game.

Pandaman said:
higher initial damage.

its 2-4-8 now.
after patch it will be 5---10.

Well, that's not including the changes to its +Armored, which is the real meat and potatoes of the void ray. That only affects it's abilities to go toe to toe with something like marines or stalkers, and since its armor got knocked down that means it dies faster to those units too.

ZealousD said:
You know, it just seems like there isn't as much incentive to get a Stargate anymore. Phoenixes are more of a reactive unit, not a proactive one. You might send 1 or 2 against Zerg as Overlord snipers but their overall usefulness is questionable. Void Rays are only useful in the early-mid game as base snipers, and that's just been nerfed. The carrier is the only real threat in there now, and going that route really hurts you in the mid game.

well with as awesome as they made gateways with warp gate, its like zerg levels of reactionary production on demand so both robo fac and stargate have been demoted to support units building 3 or 4 times slower than anything out of a warp gate, not to mention needing travel time as well compared to warp gate if you have proxy pylons or prisms set up.

I'm a Terran player and I think the changes are good. I was never any good with the MMM ball so maybe my personal tactics will be more effective now...especially with the tank and Thor buffs.

raphier

Banned
ZealousD said:
Void Rays are only useful in the early-mid game as base snipers, and that's just been nerfed..
I don't think that's a nerf. It's pure rebalance of the unit. I think the role remains, it's just rebalanced to meet other changes.

Wedge7

Heh overall interesting patch.

Protoss users will obviously be the most pleased, as you can argue all day about the VoidRay changes, but its undeniable that the changes to marauder fundamentally change early TvP pressure, and kills alot of the initial marauder fear. Roach shields going down by 1 is pretty huge, and the hydra nerf is big as well.

As a T user, obviously it sorta sucks, but I mean, I suppose I can see the reasoning, the changes to Tanks are really a non issue though, I would much rather have seen a mineral/gas decrease or hp/dmg buff as opposed to 5 seconds faster, which since were on faster, it probably like 2-3 seconds differential. Meh. The thor timing is alot bigger, though I never really use em in my matchups, maybe this will give me some incentive.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ZealousD said:
Well, that's not including the changes to its +Armored, which is the real meat and potatoes of the void ray. That only affects it's abilities to go toe to toe with something like marines or stalkers, and since its armor got knocked down that means it dies faster to those units too.
i was thinking queen actually. :p

at the very least i'd say it makes them not useless if you get caught seconds before moving out. void ray base trades suck.

ZealousD

raphier said:
I don't think that's a nerf. It's pure rebalance of the unit. I think the role remains, it's just rebalanced to meet other changes.

It's damage against buildings in the early stage has had a -1 damage, and +1 damage when fully charged. But because there's no intermediate charge anymore, that means it'll take much longer to start doing real damage to a CC.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Roach
Burrowed move speed decreased from 2 to 1.4.
Armor value decreased from 2 to 1.

and

marauder voice

"ITS ON"

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Quick question for Protoss/Zerg users.

How does a Protoss deal with Zerg? I seriously lack matchup experience against them because most games I've played so far have been against Terrans or Protoss. I really don't know how to behave against a Zerg or how to react to what I see when I scout them.

One game I saw a spawning pool going up at a time that seemed early to me. I figured it was a zergling rush, so I quickly put down a second gate and chrono boosted a few zealots. Then I got owned by roaches.

Another game there was a very long travel distance between the two bases, and I tried to poke at his base with stalkers, only to end up being fended off by zerglings, chased back to my own base and subsequently contained because I had to fight off mutalisk harassment. I figured the other guy would take a base in the meantime, so once I thought I was relatively safe and had a somewhat decent army I tried to move out again. That desperation move got me surrounded and run over by a muta/ling combination.

zoukka

Akuun said:
How does a Protoss deal with Zerg?

You need to make a ball. Of zealots, stalkers and sentrys. When I play against protoss and they go zealot heavy -> speedlings. If they advance, I rush their base to dust. If they go stalker heavy -> speedling for obvious reasons.

But the combination of those both with the sentry shield is deadly.

Oh and if you are on lower levels, remember to abuse the cannons.

Akuun said:

How does a Protoss deal with Zerg? I seriously lack matchup experience against them because most games I've played so far have been against Terrans or Protoss. I really don't know how to behave against a Zerg or how to react to what I see when I scout them.

One game I saw a spawning pool going up at a time that seemed early to me. I figured it was a zergling rush, so I quickly put down a second gate and chrono boosted a few zealots. Then I got owned by roaches.

Another game there was a very long travel distance between the two bases, and I tried to poke at his base with stalkers, only to end up being fended off by zerglings, chased back to my own base and subsequently contained because I had to fight off mutalisk harassment. I figured the other guy would take a base in the meantime, so once I thought I was relatively safe and had a somewhat decent army I tried to move out again. That desperation move got me surrounded and run over by a muta/ling combination.
Early scout. Good choke (sometimes with canons if you arent confident in your micro).

Some sentrys/stalkers/few zealots to block off. Then tech fast to Immortals if u see roaches. If you see hydras you may want to think of large infantry + collosus or high templars. Agst air.. Stalkers should hold you well while you canon up.

zoukka

Yeah High Templars seem to be killer against any build I make with zerg... I haven't build a single ultra post reset :(
So what does the Maurader shoot if he doesn't have concussive shells?

Punisher Nades dummy!

JWong

Banned
Akuun said:

If you're afraid of zergling rush, build around your chokepoint and have your zealots stand in the small opening.

Right now the strongest rush in the game is the baneling bust. Can break through zealot chokes and supply depots with zlings just charging in and causing mass chaos.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
My guess is that Marauders still shoot the same missiles, but the upgrade adds that daze effect.

Yeah, I always try to confine my choke (but not a full wall-off). I don't think it ever hurts to do so.

I'm actually less comfortable with my macro than I am with my micro. My game falls apart quite grandly on the macro front as soon as it moves on to the mid game, because I have to manage the income from multiple bases.

Thanks, I'll try to explore the HT route more. The dilemma that Protoss have is that if you're going for Immortals, it only makes sense to continue the route and go for Colossi, since HTs come from a completely different tech route. As such, I've been favoring Colossi far more than templars in any matchup. Colossi splash damage feels just as effective as psi storm, except they require less micro and don't consume energy. Except they don't hit air, of course.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
TurtleSnatcher said:
Right now the strongest rush in the game is the baneling bust. Can break through zealot chokes and supply depots with zlings just charging in and causing mass chaos.

I feel like most Terran these days have a Hellion or 2 when I get there, I head out after I hit 33 supply if I'm rushing, with 32-34 zerglings, morph 5 into banelings and go in. Even after the wall is busted, the hellions just end me so fast.

msv

Weeeee, I defeated everyone in FFA. There was one player harassing me, he nuked my CC's 3 times I think. Went in for retaliation took out his expo, then massing up more forces and took out his main (dude had a ton of turrets, getting in was a pain with my banshees). Then I took on the other two players, one by one. MMM balls, Banshees, Vikings and eventually BC's.

Feels good to win when you lose 70% of the time :lol

Akuun said:

How does a Protoss deal with Zerg?

On a pure unit basis?

High Templars - they are a Zerg player's worst nightmare.

Dark Templars - come in a close second.

Phoenix - nothing more annoying than having to manage and protect your (slow moving) overlords.

I agree with making concussive shots for Marauders an upgrade, in fact I suggested it on the beta forums. Although I actually would have preferred it being either more expensive or further down the tech tree to where it actually was a more late game upgrade to Marauders, in a similar way that Charge is a late game upgrade for Zealots.

CharlieDigital said:
On a pure unit basis?

High Templars - they are a Zerg player's worst nightmare.

Dark Templars - come in a close second.

Phoenix - nothing more annoying than having to manage and protect your (slow moving) overlords.

Overlord speed is 50/50 and takes liek 60 seconds to research. Its a given for most people who hit lair.

Likewise... making an Overseer over DT's takes 20 secs

HT's are a big threat.. totally agree. Phx can be too if you have no AA.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Completely forgot about Robo that game.

So much fail.

Haly

-COOLIO- said:
attacking with thors when theres 15 seconds left in the game is fail too

"MOVE FASTAH"
OH SHIT THEY'RE GOING TO COUNTER.

BETTER MAKE SOME CANNONS.

OH WAIT I FORGOT TO MAKE FORGE.

FUCK.

And then downtime hits and you guys don't have to see my fail firsthand.

Haly

Maaaaaaaaan.

I can't even watch the Idrage replay.

Lame shit.

Lovely Salsa said:
How do I get into the beta?!

weirdo1.jpg

Top Bottom