• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
F#A#Oo said:
To waste gas and minerals on Ultralisks and Brood Lords? Brood Lords are useful but it's hard to consider them T3 units...except for the range...everything else sucks about the unit...there is a reason why Ultralisks are a rare sight.

NO.

NO.

Brood Lords fucking ass rape basically ANY ground targets. They do a shit ton of damage and they screw with ground AI so much with broodlings.

F#A#Oo

Banned
JWong said:
Banelings! 8D

I use them mostly if I go down the Nydus worm route...other then that I would not bring them in the middle of a battlefield...unless it's en-mass...

ZealousD said:
NO.

NO.

Brood Lords fucking ass rape basically ANY ground targets. They do a shit ton of damage and they screw with ground AI so much with broodlings.

iirc when I last used them I got raped by Stalkers...I had 5 Brood Lords and my opponent had like 6-7 Stalkers and a couple of Immortals and DT's...

JonAmikar said:
Will the Mac Beta have its own set of beta keys? For instance, can a Mac user add a recent beta key to the account and play when the OSX Beta is released?

If it works like any other game tied to your account, once you input a key you can DL both the Windows or MAC versions. Once the Mac client is released, of course.

F#A#Oo said:
I use them mostly if I go down the Nydus worm route...other then that I would not bring them in the middle of a battlefield...unless it's en-mass...

iirc when I last used them I got raped by Stalkers...I had 5 Brood Lords and my opponent had like 6-7 Stalkers and a couple of Immortals and DT's...

Wow.. Maybe you should micro them more? Broordlords have a ton of life.. and 5 of them can pretty much 1 shot each stalker.. Immortals and DT's dont even attack air so thats a non factor.

zoukka

You need to really abuse the broodlors range. In close combat they are useless and one colossus usually is enough to melt the broodlings. So get them to high ground and get some meat in between the lords and the enemy.

Too many times have I lost a pack of lords for just pure arrogance. They get raped by anything that can shoot in the air and get beneath them.

I haven't seen or made a single ultralisk post reset.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Gotta have a roach wall or something on the ground buffering the Broodlords. And 5 Broodlords should destroy 6-8 stalkers with 0 casualties, you must have had them flying over and not attacking.

mcrae

czartim said:
I just signed up yesterday, and I got invited to the beta. :lol :lol

i inputted a blizzcon 2008 key yesterday and have yet to receive an invite. trade spots? lol.

my new favourite tactic when playing ai's is to rush to ultralisks. usually by that time if they havent beaten me i'll roll them, its pretty fun.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
fanboi said:
Zerg players, need adive on hotkey setup.

Now I use 4 with all my hatcherys, with 5 as queen (normally have only one queen).
I want to change this so I micro the queen(s) better, but I don't want to lose time when building units.

So how would this work:

4 all hatchs, so I can build units quick without using tab.

5 all hatch with queen, and use tab to switch to the queen.

How would this work, or it there a better setup?

I keep all the hatcheries on 5, well all the hatcheries that aren't on an island, as global larvae select is awesome. I don't bind queens at all, I just double tap 5 and go back to base, click the queen and inject. To move to the other hatcheries I click the minimap and then click the new queen, I can do this decently fast since I've got pretty high sensitivity on my mouse, but I don't know if it's the most efficient way.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Hazaro said:
Hit 4 (for example) then hit 'c'. Then hit W for warpgates (or say 5 for robo/stargate w/e) and click the little icons.
Awesome. I didn't know about that.

Cheeto

Procarbine said:
If you bind all of your hatcheries to the same key and then press 's', you'll get all the larvae at all the hatcheries in that group.
oh wow this is awesome... is there a quick way to select all hatcheries to add to a control group... or is the double click method the only way to multi-select... that would kinda suck since that only selects from objects on the screen, right?

Cheeto said:
oh wow this is awesome... is there a quick way to select all hatcheries to add to a control group... or is the double click method the only way to multi-select... that would kinda suck since that only selects from objects on the screen, right?

shift click them like in windows or excel

JWong

Banned
Anyone in the bronze league 2v2 to partner up with? I'm pretty sick of these people who do nothing but GET countered.

I've been watching Orb livestreams and I'm wondering if anyone could answer this question. Whenever he moves a bunch of probes to a newly created expansion from his main/previous expansion, it looks like he has a bunch of probes selected and then slowly 1 by 1 the little wire-frame boxes of probes dwindle down as he issues some order (I'm guessing mining order?) The livestream takes away the mouse indicator so I can't see what he's clicking or if he's using a hotkey what he's pressing, and was wondering if anyone knew what he was doing here and why he wouldn't just select his workers and right click on a mineral patch?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
MisterAnderson said:
I've been watching Orb livestreams and I'm wondering if anyone could answer this question. Whenever he moves a bunch of probes to a newly created expansion from his main/previous expansion, it looks like he has a bunch of probes selected and then slowly 1 by 1 the little wire-frame boxes of probes dwindle down as he issues some order (I'm guessing mining order?) The livestream takes away the mouse indicator so I can't see what he's clicking or if he's using a hotkey what he's pressing, and was wondering if anyone knew what he was doing here and why he wouldn't just select his workers and right click on a mineral patch?

Maybe gas? Does it stop at 6 or 3?

ZealousD said:
Maybe gas? Does it stop at 6 or 3?

No it looks like he will have like 15 or so selected and one at a time the number goes down until there are no more selected...at first I thought they were all being asigned to like their own mineral patch/some getting ordered to vespene, but it looked to me like they all went on one mineral patch after this happened anyway, so I'm really confused about it because I've seen this happen almost every game I've watched him play on the livestream where he's expanded.

btkadams

fuck this thread is huge. did they confirm if there was a mac beta yet?

i had a 5 person starcraft1 lan party last week haha it was awesome.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
F#A#Oo said:
To waste gas and minerals on Ultralisks and Brood Lords? Brood Lords are useful but it's hard to consider them T3 units...except for the range...everything else sucks about the unit...there is a reason why Ultralisks are a rare sight.
yes, the reason being that t1 units worth of ultralisk was more viable than an ultralisk itself.
by nerfing t1 units, that may no longer be the case.

MisterAnderson said:
He clicks them all to minerals. Then deselects down to 6, clicks on a geyser, clicks down to 3 and clicks the other geyser.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zapperkhan said:
He clicks them all to minerals. Then deselects down to 6, clicks on a geyser, clicks down to 3 and clicks the other geyser.
This.
Shift click is the command to remove (or add) units to a selection.
Shift + Control will add (or remove) all units of that type to the selection.

a176

Banned
Hazaro said:
This.
Shift click is the command to remove (or add) units to a selection.
Shift + Control will add (or remove) all units of that type to the selection.

its just him trying to raise/keep his apm counter at a high level

Meeru

Banned
F#A#Oo said:

dude brood lords are the best atg unit :lol

Zzoram

Won said:
GGs again. Looks like Zerg always wins! (as long MicVlaD isn't playing)

Zerg got a massive nerf and Terran Mech got a massive buff in patch 8. Zerg have a lot of trouble now in general, since even Roaches and Hydras got weaker against everything.

a176 said:
its just him trying to raise/keep his apm counter at a high level

no, its not that simple. It's him as quickly as possible maynarding his probes to the expansion. It's been well documented that by doing either what he does or hotkeying 3/etc groups of units like this, for example when attacking with scourge in brood war you get it done much more efficiently. He's not just trying to boost his apm.

Ice Monkey said:
no, its not that simple. It's him as quickly as possible maynarding his probes to the expansion. It's been well documented that by doing either what he does or hotkeying 3/etc groups of units like this, for example when attacking with scourge in brood war you get it done much more efficiently. He's not just trying to boost his apm.

I agree that his probe to expansion routine is definitely not him trying to boost his APM, but he clearly does boost it ALL the time. He's constantly clicking and pressing hotkeys even when there's no need to. I'm sure it helps him to constantly be aware of what his production buildings are doing or not doing and is a constant reminder to keep up with everything and multitask, but goddamn. It's overboard IMO.

I mean, is it really necessary to click 10 times per move order?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
MisterAnderson said:
I agree that his probe to expansion routine is definitely not him trying to boost his APM, but he clearly does boost it ALL the time. He's constantly clicking and pressing hotkeys even when there's no need to. I'm sure it helps him to constantly be aware of what his production buildings are doing or not doing and is a constant reminder to keep up with everything and multitask, but goddamn. It's overboard IMO.

I mean, is it really necessary to click 10 times per move order?
To help keep your mind in an accelerated and alert state yes.

Are you going to be more alert and react faster if you only click one or click 15 times?

I find I play better the more I remember to spam, since I have a sense of urgency I feel like I need to (and actually remember to do) everything.

Sounds like a bunch of BS but it helps me (my normal APM is like 45) :lol
I mean my APM for the first 3 minutes of a game is like 8. I don't spam at all in the beginning.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I click repeatedly mostly as a carry-over habit from DotA and HoN where you sometimes have to control every single step to avoid enemies/attacks/spells.

a176

Banned
Ice Monkey said:

actually you're right, sending three probes to a gas could make or break a game
not

i wont say its completely retarded to be constantly clicking everywhere. its a left over habit from original sc. even in sc2, there are situations where you still need to micro the hell out of your units (picking off/evading banelings for one). but probes to gas is not one of them. along with alot of other crap he does to keep his apm visually high. there's little return for that much effort in sc2.

Zzoram

czartim said:
Now I remember why COH is the only rts I've ever liked. Reflex gaming FTL.

CoH, like any RTS, also benefits from being a faster player. It's just that there are so few of them bothering to play CoH, and the online infrastructure is so bad, that you rarely encounter them.

CzarTim

Zzoram said:
CoH, like any RTS, also benefits from being a faster player. It's just that there are so few of them bothering to play CoH, and the online infrastructure is so bad, that you rarely encounter them.
Yeah, I hear ya. It's just that its the only game I've ever played that I really felt required strategic planning for battles. It's by no means a perfect game, though.

I feel like Starcraft is more about twitch game play and knowing the ins-and-outs of units. Ala a glorified rock, paper, scissor match where speed is important.

I just wish there was a mainstream RTS that focused more on the "S". Or at least an option for players like myself who prefer to go a bit slower and think things out.

czartim said:
Yeah, I hear ya. It's just that its the only game I've ever played that I really felt required strategic planning for battles. It's by no means a perfect game, though.

I feel like Starcraft is more about twitch game play and knowing the ins-and-outs of units. Ala a glorified rock, paper, scissor match where speed is important.

I just wish there was a mainstream RTS that focused more on the "S". Or at least an option for players like myself who prefer to go a bit slower and think things out.

I find that TBS really allows for the strategic planning you're talking about. The nature of RTS is that your speed must play a factor or else the game becomes incredibly boring.

And of course you can always lower the game speed.

Minsc

Gold Member
czartim said:

You should get DoW2, it's like 80% strategy 20% twitch (boss fights). It's sorta only 50% RTS though, no base building. But if you like CoH, you'll probably like that.

CzarTim

BananaBomb said:
I find that TBS really allows for the strategic planning you're talking about. The nature of RTS is that your speed must play a factor or else the game becomes incredibly boring.

And of course you can always lower the game speed.
Yeah, and I do play a lot of those. I just wish a developer would break the mold. Just because that's how it is traditionally, doesn't mean that's how it always has to be.

I liked Empire: TW's RTS elements. Even if it was overly simple.

Top Bottom