• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Zzoram

czartim said:
Yeah, and I do play a lot of those. I just wish a developer would break the mold. Just because that's how it is traditionally, doesn't mean that's how it always has to be.

I liked Empire: TW's RTS elements. Even if it was overly simple.

If you don't want speed to play a factor, go turn based. That's the only way to completely negate any speed advantage, otherwise speed will ALWAYS be a factor. It's just the nature of real-time action. Someone who is faster playing an FPS or Action game is likely going to play better than a slow player.

CerberusE

Neo Member
Crap.

Won my 5 placement matches and now I'm placed under platinum league. I'm not looking forward to losing now. I should be in silver or bronze :(

Zzoram

CerberusE said:
Crap.

Won my 5 placement matches and now I'm placed under platinum league. I'm not looking forward to losing now. I should be in silver or bronze :(

It seems like C+ or better Broodwar players are all ending up in Platinum.

Cheeto

czartim said:
I just wish there was a mainstream RTS that focused more on the "S". Or at least an option for players like myself who prefer to go a bit slower and think things out.
If SupCom2 was more balanced I'd recommend that, it's basically exactly what you're looking for.

Wedge7

Zzoram said:
It seems like C+ or better Broodwar players are all ending up in Platinum.

I would argue that D+ is plat level, at least right now, especially the higher you are in the plat, IE, 25 and higher.

I was hovering around D-/D in SC, and I'm in Plat, so as of right now, it doesn't appear that way.

CerberusE

Neo Member
Yup. I'm a D player tops, and I was matched up against people that didn't even scout me. I could just place units around their base and expand easily without them touching me.

Now the games should be more interesting at least.

Wait was there an actual lettered ranking system in SC (I sure as hell don't remember one- then again I was not very good either) or are you guys just putting numbers to what you think your own skill is?

I'm in copper and doing "ok"

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
iCCup I believe. I never played SC for real ever. No BGH no Hunters / LT / Python. All of that is lost on me.

I only watched progamers play it and I am in High Gold / Plat :lol

JWong

Banned
czartim said:
I just wish there was a mainstream RTS that focused more on the "S". Or at least an option for players like myself who prefer to go a bit slower and think things out.
You're thinking of the wrong genre. Turn-Based Strategy is what you should play if thinking things out is what you want.

RTS is all about reactionary speed and on-the-fly management. It is the core of the genre.

Even if you look at the attempts to mainstream RTS with Dawn of War, Company of Heroes, and the latest C&C, they lost a lot of strategy in the process of mainstream.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I downloaded a podcast last week that someone linked in this thread it's named SotG (State of the Game?)

Is there a new podcast and if so where do I find it?

scoobs

lol tried to claim a key on facebook just now, the keys were posted as a profile picture so i had to open a new firefox to copy it down into the space provided on battle.net... naturally i was too late even after only taking about 10 seconds to do it. GAHHHHH i'll never get in... why can't it be open beta :( :( :(

:lol the facebook comments for the SC beta key posts are hilarious. It's like sub-sub-youtube level discourse. People are so freakin desperate for this game.
and so am i :(

Made it up into the bronze league from copper. I still need to figure out a strong build. It seems I either end up getting a pylon too early or too late early on and it puts me behind.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Terp vs Mila going up. Anyone who wants to spec hop on quick.

Sloegr

thedrizzle34 said:
:lol the facebook comments for the SC beta key posts are hilarious. It's like sub-sub-youtube level discourse. People are so freakin desperate for this game.
and so am i :(

The 'congrats to 4 of you, tough shit to the rest' comment preceding the key giveaway probably helped fuel the fire :lol

Vague

Finally got in the beta today and placed in Silver.

I am so horrible at this game I haven't played StarCraft since like 2001.

But I have hilarious replays of winning even though I am terrible!
2000+ minerals at like all times, expansion I put up and then ignored and never mined, all caps rage from zerg http://www.sc2rc.com/index.php/replay/show/946

Guy didn't check the mist in his base on metal, used it to warp in stalkers and build cannons: http://www.sc2rc.com/index.php/replay/show/947

Rushed a guy with sunken colonies or whatever they're called now: http://www.sc2rc.com/index.php/replay/show/948

I only play random.

Hibiskiss.crtdx if anyone wants to play.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
BlueScrote said:
Made it up into the bronze league from copper. I still need to figure out a strong build. It seems I either end up getting a pylon too early or too late early on and it puts me behind.
Pylon on 10 then chrono boost brobes and put down your gateway, (then another gate for 2 gate, or your cyber core)

From there you can either 1 gate robo bay immortal push (vs zerg mainly) or just 3 gate push (should be the max you can support off 1 base with some slight tech)

a176 said:
actually you're right, sending three probes to a gas could make or break a game
not

i wont say its completely retarded to be constantly clicking everywhere. its a left over habit from original sc. even in sc2, there are situations where you still need to micro the hell out of your units (picking off/evading banelings for one). but probes to gas is not one of them. along with alot of other crap he does to keep his apm visually high. there's little return for that much effort in sc2.

no, no, no. You misunderstood! I AGREE with what you are saying about constant clicks everywhere, as much as i understand they warm up hands or some voodoo, I dont like THAT practice.

what I WAS talking about was the comparison between these two approaches to the same scenario:

SCENARIO: moving 22 workers to a new expansion (16 optimal for minerals, 3 per refinery)

option 1
*attempt to drag a box around 3 (should be) currently working workers
*after possibly failing to get correct box or readjusting by shift clicking excess, succeed.
*right click on refinery 1
*attempt to drag a box around 3 more (should be) currently working workers
*after possibly failing to get correct box or readjusting by shift clicking excess, succeed.
*right click on refinery 2
*attempt to drag a box around 16 (should be) currently working workers
*right click on minerals
*done

option 2
*attempt to drag a box around 22 (should be) currently working workers
*right click on refinery 1
*shift click 3 workers off your selection, now selecting 19
*right click on refinery 2
*shift click 3 workers off your selection, now selecting 16
*right click on minerals
*done

Now, it should be abundantly clear which of the above is the much faster way to accomplish the maynarding of workers to an expo, and is exactly what misteranderson was describing.

What my post wasnt about is if for example in the above options, instead of having 16 workers auto assign to minerals (they did in sc1 too) instead you tell each worker which mineral to draw from, but then again this can actually improve your resource collection rate since the workers don't slow down and attempt to mine from an occupied mineral. That doesnt mean i see it as a very important strategy though.

Ashhong

Hazaro said:
Pylon on 10 then chrono boost brobes and put down your gateway, (then another gate for 2 gate, or your cyber core)

From there you can either 1 gate robo bay immortal push (vs zerg mainly) or just 3 gate push (should be the max you can support off 1 base with some slight tech)

shouldnt it be pylon on 9? and whats the best way to break a terrans wall as a protoss? stalkers i guess? zealots just get hosed naturally

oh, and officially 60$ for standard edition? fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck isnt the campaign only the terran?

mcrae

Ashhong said:
shouldnt it be pylon on 9? and whats the best way to break a terrans wall as a protoss? stalkers i guess? zealots just get hosed naturally

oh, and officially 60$ for standard edition? fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck isnt the campaign only the terran?

sure you only get 1/3 of the campaign, but i'd pay 60$ for online-only. infinite replayability with custom map creations. i REALLY don't understand why people are getting their panties in a bunch. free market and such.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ashhong said:

Well I hit up the next probe so it becomes 10, you don't lose any mining time as Toss and I just chrono away after pylon finishes.

As for breaking a Terran wall... I wouldn't early game because of the sight mechanics. Unless he is fast teching to banshees or something he will have enough forces out to stop your push and you will come out worse for wear.

You could try to push out with an immortal or 2 but as a T I usually am pressuring YOU before you get that far.

I'd make sure ramp is well enough defended and get that fast immortal/observer out and just counter whatever the T is doing. Chances are they won't notice the observer the entire game.

Oh and get storm. Storm > Everything.

Hazaro said:
Well I hit up the next probe so it becomes 10, you don't lose any mining time as Toss and I just chrono away after pylon finishes.

As for breaking a Terran wall... I wouldn't early game because of the sight mechanics. Unless he is fast teching to banshees or something he will have enough forces out to stop your push and you will come out worse for wear.

You could try to push out with an immortal or 2 but as a T I usually am pressuring YOU before you get that far.

I'd make sure ramp is well enough defended and get that fast immortal/observer out and just counter whatever the T is doing. Chances are they won't notice the observer the entire game.

if you're good about not losing any health, only shields you can sit there and torment his wall all day long and then walk away and youll have full shields in like 20 seconds or less

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ice Monkey said:
if you're good about not losing any health, only shields you can sit there and torment his wall all day long and then walk away and youll have full shields in like 20 seconds or less
You have to get sight on his ramp (Which means taking fire) so not really.

Not worth it imo for most people. You could do it maybe to pick some HP off a marine / mard but only 4 hits from a mard takes down a stalkers shields.

ultron87

Hooray for being placed in copper 1v1 league. :lol

Maybe this will allow me to get alright at anything beyond the start of the game.

ultron.ultron is anyone ever wants to play.

Ashhong said:

Why are people still acting like this? The campaign for each race is going to be just as long if not longer (and have WAY more going for it, like choosing your missions/customizing your units and armies etc.) You're not getting "1/3" of the game of the original StarCraft, or of StarCraft 2 for that matter. They are making 3 StarCraft 2 games to put each race in the spotlight and make the story that much more developed and fleshed out.

Milabrega

To all the New folks congrats. If you'd like to play in gaf games (and we need ya our numbers have dwindled) please post your Battle.net name in the ____.____ format and I'll ad ya to the list here at this link: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20461745&postcount=7361

For EU beta people please be sure to post EU next to your ___.___ name in the post so I can get you on the right list. EU players may as well add everyone since the list is short.

NA players should add the frequent posters in this thread, then ask in game to get invited to the channel. That way you can just right click add everyone else.

NeoGAF Beta Tourney 1v1 #1 Round 3. Best of 3. Milabrega Vs Terproerg

Game 1 Replay

Winner:
Terproerg

Game 2 Replay

Winner:
Milabrega

Game 3 Replay

Winner:
Milabrega

My thoughts on the matches haven't watched the replay yet though:

Game 1. Defended the 7 pool rush well enough, had too many idle scvs after it was over though. Hellion drop did okay damage, but everything went down hill from there. Had no real plan beyond the Hellion drop, no AA since I saw Hydra's at tier 2 and didn't expect the Muta's. Terrible management on my part both micro and macro. Rax wall was poorly done and not expanding fast enough/letting myself get supply capped as well was just gg. Terp played great other than trying to 7 pool cheese, he just wanted to get back to his Tea quickly.

Game 2. Was expecting Reapers, a hellion drop or some FE by terp. He didn't do any. Contemplated going Reapers myself, but was to worried to after losing game 1. Had a decent Hellion drop but he was expecting it, did enough eco damage though. Knew a nuke was eventually going to drop so was going to go MMR (Marauder, Marine, Raven) but made a last minute decision to go Banshee's instead once the Tech labs finished. Wanted to do a second Hellion drop but Terp protected it pretty well. My expansion gave me a nice eco advtange, even though I didn't capitalize with 3k minerals idle. First sent it to the island thinking since Terp had ghost/MM/hellions it'd be safe but I reversed that thinking since I saw the Medivac. I thought I was done when the Vikings came out, but busting the wall before the banshees died and sending my few ground units in was, what I thought was going to be, an all in strategy that if failed was GG. I haven't watched the replay but I think Terp left pretty quickly and wasn't out of it by a long shot.

Game 3. We crossed scouts in the middle and as soon as I saw zerg I was thinking a speedling bust. Wouldn't scout with a drone if it was 6 pool again, and even though he did it game 1 which he won, it wasn't the 6 pool that did it. Spent a lot of early gas on Sentries and Stalkers not knowing if he was going to go muta again. I saw the hidden expand quickly, and attacked it at the same time Terp said he was got minimized by skype, still think it was going down either way (again haven't watched replay). Obs died seeing hydra's, but still thought Muta was a big possibility so didn't pump Colossi like I would have had he not switched from Hydra to Muta game 1. My forcefield usage was awful and my chrono use could be better.

Hazaro said:
You have to get sight on his ramp (Which means taking fire) so not really.

Not worth it imo for most people. You could do it maybe to pick some HP off a marine / mard but only 4 hits from a mard takes down a stalkers shields.

yeah im not sure why i was seeing it in my mind not including the sight deal but i guess regardless if you can sit there and torment him without losing units you prolly are good enough to beat him anyway :)

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
MisterAnderson said:
Why are people still acting like this? The campaign for each race is going to be just as long if not longer (and have WAY more going for it, like choosing your missions/customizing your units and armies etc.) You're not getting "1/3" of the game of the original StarCraft, or of StarCraft 2 for that matter. They are making 3 StarCraft 2 games to put each race in the spotlight and make the story that much more developed and fleshed out.
i can't believe how many times this has to be repeated.

people are stupid.

Milabrega

You can't say the initial announcement, the way it was worded and made (especially so far in advance) combined with the Activision-Blizzard merger, you didn't have a bitter taste in your mouth.

Some of us, kept up on interviews and got into the beta, so that bitterness is gone. Others didn't, haven't and that taste remains.

Pandaman said:

That's right, we're matched up next! Lessons you can learn from those replays:

1. I'm bad you're going to win
2. If I'm Terran I'm going to Hellion drop you, no matter what

JWong

Banned
I think I'm gonna start doing Terran 1v1... any advice?

Does anyone have that Team Liquid link to their base builds?

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Milabrega said:
You can't say the initial announcement, the way it was worded and made (especially so far in advance) combined with the Activision-Blizzard merger, you didn't have a bitter taste in your mouth.

Some of us, kept up on interviews and got into the beta, so that bitterness is gone. Others didn't, haven't and that taste remains.
you don't have to keep up with interviews.

if you've played any blizzard game in the last 10-12 years you know they pack their titles with heaps of content.

there was never anything that indicated to me that WoL was going to be a 1/3 of a game.

Installed on my laptop and was able to run with most of the settings on high (I put shadows, reflections, post-processing and physics on low or medium, textures and models on high) at 720p with a shitty AMD Dual Core and a 9400M. Not sure of the fps, but it was staying at least above 30 and still looked really nice.

Anyway, so I doubt if anyone has to worry about having a high-end rig to run this.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
JWong said:
I think I'm gonna start doing Terran 1v1... any advice?

Does anyone have that Team Liquid link to their base builds?
I would just DL some high level replays at this point honestly.

TvT: Make tanks, then more tanks. Also vikings. Make some tanks.
TvP: Make mards, watch out for immortals. Get ghosts. Storm is a bitch. Make some tanks.
TvZ: Make mards, also watch for mutas. If no mutas make more mards. Also medivacs. Make some tanks.

a176

Banned
Hazaro said:

cant be said enough.

RUSH TO OBSERVER

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You're getting the Map Editor.

The editor alone is worth a billion games including everyone's favorite NARUTO VS BLEACH WC3 mod.

I really need to work HTs into my game. I like moving around a lot with Stalkers and Colossi so it feels like HTs just slow me down.

For a player aiming to main toss I'm really bad at attacking things head on :p

JWong

Banned
Halycon said:
You're getting the Map Editor.

The editor alone is worth a billion games including everyone's favorite NARUTO VS BLEACH WC3 mod.

I really need to work HTs into my game. I like moving around a lot with Stalkers and Colossi so it feels like HTs just slow me down.

For a player aiming to main toss I'm really bad at attacking things head on :p
Starcraft DotA can't come soon enough.

JWong said:
Starcraft DotA can't come soon enough.

I feel like such a failure of a gamer for missing out on DotA. Have never played a single game of it. I liked WC3 the way it is and never thought to even try any of the custom mods for it, and to this day I still haven't.

Pandaman said:
okay, so what the hell is this dota everyone always talks about?

Lol, internet hai faive!

From what I understand, it's a game (a custom map that someone created using the WarCraft III editor) where you pick a "hero" unit and battle it out against other heroes, getting level ups and shit along the way? I could very well be wrong, I think it's two teams of heroes pitted against each other. Basically you control 1 unit and get experience/gold and shit and unlock skills as the game progresses. I think it is what spawned that PC game "Demigod."

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
MisterAnderson said:
I feel like such a failure of a gamer for missing out on DotA. Have never played a single game of it. I liked WC3 the way it is and never thought to even try any of the custom mods for it, and to this day I still haven't.
I totally skipped on WC3 so never played DotA :/
Feels like one of those games where if you dont know how to play now, dont try to start...like counterstrike

Meeru

Banned
MisterAnderson said:

Lol, internet hai faive!

From what I understand, it's a game (a custom map that someone created using the WarCraft III editor) where you pick a "hero" unit and battle it out against other heroes, getting level ups and shit along the way? I could very well be wrong, I think it's two teams of heroes pitted against each other. Basically you control 1 unit and get experience/gold and shit and unlock skills as the game progresses. I think it is what spawned that PC game "Demigod."
Dota is a very..very addicting game. Heroes of Newerth is better than dota.

IceMarker

Corran Horn said:
I totally skipped on WC3 so never played DotA :/
Feels like one of those games where if you dont know how to play now, dont try to start...like counterstrike
Hey Competitive Starcraft isn't easy to get into either, took me a bit to build up courage to go online in the beta only to get my ass handed to me constantly.

MrMister said:
Hey Competitive Starcraft isn't easy to get into either, took me a bit to build up courage to go online in the beta only to get my ass handed to me constantly.

Yeah definitely. I pretty much exclusively played BW with a very small group of my friends and never really played seriously on Bnet. We'd always agree to no rushing rules, which I now realize is the silliest shit. Imposing rules that limit the exploitation of your enemy's weaknesses completely defeats the purpose of an RTS, but hey, we were kids and we had fun with the game so whatever, lol.

I definitely see myself improving although I still suck compared to a lot of you.

Top Bottom