• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
mcrae said:
they are emerging as my favourite race. i just took out both players in 2v2 bronze by myself, with zerglings. killed off the zerg, then suicided some against terran wall, retraeated changed 2/3 into banelings broke it and laughed

Keep on trucking! Once you start playing against more skilled players, or gaffers that get to know your playstyle, you'll see hellions behind the wall, which you can't really beat with zerglings alone.

CerberusE

Neo Member
After 30 games I'm getting used to Zerg a bit more, and sort of got my build orders down for most matchups. Queen management still needs more work.

The matchamking system is also most refined now. At first I kept getting my ass kicked but now I'm hovering between 60-80 plat and getting matched up with people close to my skill, with half the games taking 15 minutes or more.

Not much "cheese" either. Finally found a counter against fast hellions, and fast void rays is also not a problem anymore. A mix of ground units is a must for zerg, which is pretty cool. Banelings are more useful than I thought.

This game is now officially awesome and I can't wait for it to come out.

fanboi

Banned
WTF WON I CAN'T SLEEP BECAUSE OF ALL YOUR FUCKING VIKINGS...

ASLUDGHO"T&E#WO"L!QE:JKSND_:KAMSDÖKAS

EDIT: I can't play as Zerg (or any race) in a long game... and FFA.

zoukka

I think the cheese in bronze was hilarious. Protoss players trying to build proxy bases on my nat... wtf bitch, I'm zerg :b I just build a spine or two and run with lings to his unprotected main base.

Losing to cheese is shameful.

Am now in gold after the reset. Let's see if I can stay there.

JWong

Banned
Any bronze 2v2 partners?

I just had a toss who built a wall and 4 phoenixes... that's all.

No zealots, stalkers, sentry... nothing but phoenixes.

mcrae

JWong said:
Any bronze 2v2 partners?

i'm 3rd in my bronze 2v2 random, mcrae.mcrae

clav

JWong said:
Any bronze 2v2 partners?

Silver 2v2. Was #6, dropped to #20 due to a 20 game losing streak.

Worked my way up from Copper.

claviertekky.exe

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So.

Apparently.

Everyone good in my bronze division so I'm left playing against people who can't even break a gateway wall.

Haly

TurtleSnatcher said:
Deltron and I havent played since Fri Night and we are still #1 in our division.. wtf?
I have a feeling the only reason people are in divisions is because they played the 5 placement games.

And then did other shit.

rampur

you guys think i should buy a key on craigslist for 60 bucks?
If the game comes out in a few months, then i would really kick myself for buying a key! :lol

Dark Templar proxy rush is awesome. Altho, if they beat the DT and counter pushed I would be done for.

I feel a bit cheap but hey, their fault for not getting detection.

JWong

Banned
Pookaki said:
Dark Templar proxy rush is awesome. Altho, if they beat the DT and counter pushed I would be done for.

Yeah that's a gamble.

Kind of risky, but that's cheese.

Edit: Fought my way back to 3rd in 2v2 bronze... so tired.

Zzoram

TurtleSnatcher said:
Deltron and I havent played since Fri Night and we are still #1 in our division.. wtf?

The other people playing are probably losing as many points as they gain from their games so even if they play 20 games while you're on a break, they could still fall short of your point tally.

IceMarker

Okay little rant here, it's late, and I'm tired and cranky.

1) MMM, while a great strategy, is not working for me. I get at least 6 medivacs, a dozen Marauders, a bazillion Marines and I still can't seem to conquer my opponents.

2) 2v2 Random is complete utter BULLSHIT. I've been paired with someone shittier than ME EVEN for the past 6 rounds I've played tonight. I'm ranked 7th to last in my division in COPPER.

3) I keep getting Void Ray rushed. That is all.

4) I've lost the last 6 matches in random 2v2, and let me tell you after all that I don't think my rank can get any lower, my Bonus Pool has reached over 120 because of how long I've lost. All my teammates are shitty!

5) It seems like in Copper (READ: EVEN IN COPPER) I seem to get paired with people who should be at least in high-bronze. These guys react to my every move. Goddamn.

6) I've played over 200 SC1 matches (LAN and computers) and at least 300 SC2 matches online and I STILL SUCK. WHY AM I NOT IMPROVING. I've won one match all night ALL NIGHT. This is making me rage harder than any other game I've competed on. I'm seriously considering canceling my pre-order on the CE because of this. Blizzard's disgusting matchmaking combined with an improper Copper league and a high-entry level make this the game to make me write won of the most rage-spoken-from-the-heart posts I've ever written about a game.

I'm at the end of my rope guys, I'll play some 1v1 and let you know if I need to write a rant there too.

fanboi

Banned
^ weeeeeell....

1) Its Beta... players are probably better now then it will be at retail and matchmaking is not 100% accurate maybe?

2) Watch replays (HDStarcraft, Husky on YT)

EU or NA?

IceMarker

fanboi said:
^ weeeeeell....

1) Its Beta... players are probably better now then it will be at retail and matchmaking is not 100% accurate maybe?

2) Watch replays (HDStarcraft, Husky on YT)

EU or NA?
1) I hope that's correct.

2) You have no idea how many HDstarcraft video commentaries and my own replays I've watched. Hell I've even done some things I never knew could work, only to end up in failure.
remz said:
There seem to be some pretty decent players in copper, it's weird.
SERIOUSLY. I'm trying to push my ass into Bronze but it seems 2v2 random has it out for me.

Fuck it I'm reaper rushing from now on from the get go and if it doesn't work, I gg and quit.

Personally though, I think I do *slightly* better in 1v1.

fanboi

Banned
MrMister said:
1) I hope that's correct.

2) You have no idea how many HDstarcraft video commentaries and my own replays I've watched. Hell I've even done some things I never knew could work, only to end up in failure.

SERIOUSLY. I'm trying to push my ass into Bronze but it seems 2v2 random has it out for me.

Fuck it I'm reaper rushing from now on from the get go and if it doesn't work, I gg and quit.

Personally though, I think I do *slightly* better in 1v1.

What race to play as?

IceMarker

^Terran, I rarely play Protoss, almost never play Zerg.

I just watched a few of my replays, it seems I'm being out-macro'd a lot. Also, I'm always last/second to last when it comes to APM, my opponents are in the 30-50 range while me and my teammate (sometimes) stay in the 15-30 range. This is making me feel more pathetic the more I watch. :(

fanboi

Banned
MrMister said:
^Terran, I rarely play Protoss, almost never play Zerg.

I just watched a few of my replays, it seems I'm being out-macro'd a lot. Also, I'm always last/second to last when it comes to APM, my opponents are in the 30-50 range while me and my teammate (sometimes) stay in the 15-30 range. This is making me feel more pathetic the more I watch. :(

Hotkeys, use em?
And, go all in with Terran, dont even play any other race.

APM isn't all, more of setting waypoints when building units to reinforce when you attack and when you macro your army in combat.

What is your normal strat? You get own by Voids, scan scan scan and see if he gets warpgates, and if you are uncertain, build engi. and turrets.

Zzoram

MrMister said:
Okay little rant here, it's late, and I'm tired and cranky.

1) MMM, while a great strategy, is not working for me. I get at least 6 medivacs, a dozen Marauders, a bazillion Marines and I still can't seem to conquer my opponents.

2) 2v2 Random is complete utter BULLSHIT. I've been paired with someone shittier than ME EVEN for the past 6 rounds I've played tonight. I'm ranked 7th to last in my division in COPPER.

3) I keep getting Void Ray rushed. That is all.

4) I've lost the last 6 matches in random 2v2, and let me tell you after all that I don't think my rank can get any lower, my Bonus Pool has reached over 120 because of how long I've lost. All my teammates are shitty!

5) It seems like in Copper (READ: EVEN IN COPPER) I seem to get paired with people who should be at least in high-bronze. These guys react to my every move. Goddamn.

6) I've played over 200 SC1 matches (LAN and computers) and at least 300 SC2 matches online and I STILL SUCK. WHY AM I NOT IMPROVING. I've won one match all night ALL NIGHT. This is making me rage harder than any other game I've competed on. I'm seriously considering canceling my pre-order on the CE because of this. Blizzard's disgusting matchmaking combined with an improper Copper league and a high-entry level make this the game to make me write won of the most rage-spoken-from-the-heart posts I've ever written about a game.

I'm at the end of my rope guys, I'll play some 1v1 and let you know if I need to write a rant there too.

Mass gaming doesn't automatically lead to improvement. Whenever you lose, you should watch the replay and see what they were doing all game. Most importantly, see WHEN they were doing things. Look at info like the Army panel to see the value of your army against his throughout the game. Do you have moments where you have a bigger army but aren't aggressive? If so, learn to attack during that timing.

Also, note the timing of when stuff like Void Ray and Banshee rushes hit, and try to plan to have defense against them by that time (use things like your food count or the minerals/gas remaining at your base to determine timing without a stopwatch).

Also, if you have the advantage after killing his army, but don't have enough left to kill him, don't suicide your guys trying. Just contain him, keep making replacement troops to reinforce your containment, and take another expansion to compound your advantage.

Once you get a basic and solid build order going, and practice it well so you aren't messing up too much in the first 3 minutes. For example, try always going 9 Depot, 11 Rax, 12 Gas, 15 Orbital, 16 Depot, 18 Rax, and try to slowly perfect it by tweaking the timings so that you're building things as soon as the tech or money becomes available. You shouldn't wait until 6 Medivac before attacking, especially if they know what you're doing, because that's a lot of time to prepare a defense. You should attack with MM before your Starport is done, then bring 2 Medivacs with your followup attack while you take an expansion.

Zzoram

remz said:
There seem to be some pretty decent players in copper, it's weird.

The general idea of leagues is to put everyone in a place where they can win 40-60% of their games. If someone is winning 80% of their games in Copper, they'll be bumped up eventually.

zoukka

Eh you don't play against copper league players only. Add the opponent to your friend list and you can check his rankings.

Zzoram

zoukka said:
Eh you don't play against copper league players only. Add the opponent to your friend list and you can check his rankings.

Good point, you can play against people out of your league . You'll see in your point summary at the end, if you get a massive bonus (> +6) it means your opponent was in a higher league.

IceMarker

I actually just won one random 2v2 due to me pushing a little earlier than usual with MMM.

2 medics, around 8 Marauders, and 16 marines. Took down a Zerg expansion and eventually his main. He also complained about his Terran partner being stupid. I told him I know how he feels.

Here's the replay, maybe y'all can study what I could improve on, even though I won.

http://www.sc2rc.com/index.php/replay/show/1172

I also uploaded about 3 more, just search "xMrMister" on sc2rc.

Zzoram

MrMister said:
I actually just won one random 2v2 due to me pushing a little earlier than usual with MMM.

2 medics, around 8 Marauders, and 16 marines. Took down a Zerg expansion and eventually his main. He also complained about his Terran partner being stupid. I told him I know how he feels.

Here's the replay, maybe y'all can study what I could improve on, even though I won.

http://www.sc2rc.com/index.php/replay/show/1172

I also uploaded about 3 more, just search "xMrMister" on sc2rc.

I can't watch now, but a good idea is to attack before the enemy has Colossus/HighTemplar/Infestors

Trasher

Pookaki said:

I have gotten pretty decent at the DT proxy. And it is not cheese if you scout your opponent and see that they have no detection. That's their fault for not getting some sort of detection. It's not like it's that hard. =/

Won

Divisions need some tweaking or they need to introduce the tournament thingy soon. Being #1 in a division feels kinda odd currently. :(

MrMister said:

Don't play 2vs2 random....seriously. It is a fun diversion once in a while, but don't stick to it. It's like you want to hate the game on purpose.

fanboi said:
WTF WON I CAN'T SLEEP BECAUSE OF ALL YOUR FUCKING VIKINGS...

ASLUDGHO"T&E#WO"L!QE:JKSND_:KAMSDÖKAS

EDIT: I can't play as Zerg (or any race) in a long game... and FFA.

Vikings are so awesome. I just had to build more and more of them! You just have to love dozens of Vikings landing at the same time!

fanboi

Banned
Won said:
Divisions need some tweaking or they need to introduce the tournament thingy soon. Being #1 in a division feels kinda odd currently. :(

Don't play 2vs2 random....seriously. It is a fun diversion once in a while, but don't stick to it. It's like you want to hate the game on purpose.

Vikings are so awesome. I just had to build more and more of them! You just have to love dozens of Vikings landing at the same time!

Yeah...

I cant remember how many times I destroyed your army and then they reappear.

2v2 tonight? or 1v1?

IceMarker

I think I'm just gonna pull an all-nighter tonight... it's 4am here :lol

If you all want to add me I'll be online for another good hour or so.

xMrMister.xMrMister

We can spar, just chat, or whatever!

MrMister, or this goes to everyone actually, if you would like for some specific feedback on your play, I'd be more than happy to provide that if I could help you out. Or I could even just be a 1v1 practice partner so you could test out whatever to improve.

Just let me know, I'd be more than happy to help and learn with anyone willing. In case any of you don't know already my ID is Alumnus.mosaic on the US server.

remz

zoukka said:
This explains why I've been rolling over some people then just getting totally rocked by others

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
FromTheFuture said:
MrMister, or this goes to everyone actually, if you would like for some specific feedback on your play, I'd be more than happy to provide that if I could help you out. Or I could even just be a 1v1 practice partner so you could test out whatever to improve.

Just let me know, I'd be more than happy to help and learn with anyone willing. In case any of you don't know already my ID is Alumnus.mosaic on the US server.
im letting you know. >_>

Haly

FromTheFuture said:

AHAHAHAHAAHAHAA.

ahahahahahaa

heeheheh

Billen

Banned
I am curious as to how other Company of Heroes lovers are finding this game, with it's lightnings, plasmas, lasers and whatnots.

Haly

Billen said:
I am curious as to how other Company of Heroes lovers are finding this game, with it's lightnings, plasmas, lasers and whatnots.
The only thing CoH and Starcraft have in common is that they are part of the RTS supergenre. They're wildly different at the metagame level so that question will give you skewed results. Many of the people complaining "Starcraft 2 is Broodwar3D" and "Starcraft 2 ignores a decade of RTS innovation" are most likely fans of CoH, DoW or SupCom. Granted, there are some aspects of SC2 that are downright primitive but you can blame the gosu koreans for that.

winnarps

Anyone know if it's possible to drop down a league?

Me and my buddy are in 2v2 Bronze, with a 12-35 w/l record (a few of those wins are from people outright dropping at the start). We're at the absolute bottom of our league (87th).

It feels like we shouldn't be ranked this high, and some of the games are pretty demoralizing.

We thought maybe we could play a bunch of games and insta-quit to see if it did anything, but I have no idea if that works or not.

Billen said:

Very bad probably.

I am a CoH/DoW player and have not used my SC2 beta key yet (no you can't have it). I probably will, but I am dreading multiplayer TBH after CoH/DoW. Will get SC2 for single player mainly.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
http://tv.zeroboy.net/HATEPLOW

Korean stream of an older progamer (Won 2000 and 2001 OSLs)
GARMITO casually playing some SC II for us.

Right now there is English translation in the chat which is why I am bringing it up here.

**Actually they are waiting for food before starting? What the hell? :lol
***Oh looks like they are giving his ID out and people are friending / whispering him?

Some games will eventually start up anyway. It should be like Bnet attack (very relaxed and talky).

****PvP on Scrap Station is go!

Minsc

Gold Member
NemesisPrime said:
Very bad probably.

I am a CoH/DoW player and have not used my SC2 beta key yet (no you can't have it). I probably will, but I am dreading multiplayer TBH after CoH/DoW. Will get SC2 for single player mainly.

Do you think it would be fair to say SC2 multi is a lot more hectic and fast paced than CoH multi? It seems in SC2 you need to be able to control every single unit's actions and always be attacking/building/mining as fast as all hell.

I wonder if it is mainly the people who don't like that frantic, frantic speed of game that tend to call SC2 "throwing away 10 years of evolution" and "Brood Wars+"? Or is CoH and the like just as frantic and clicks-per-minute critical as SC2, and the only real difference is the strategies used in playing, not the speed of the gameplay?

Minsc said:
Do you think it would be fair to say SC2 multi is a lot more hectic and fast paced than CoH multi? It seems in SC2 you need to be able to control every single unit's actions and always be attacking/building/mining as fast as all hell.

I wonder if it is mainly the people who don't like that frantic, frantic speed of game that tend to call SC2 "throwing away 10 years of evolution" and "Brood Wars+"? Or is CoH and the like just as frantic and clicks-per-minute critical as SC2, and the only real difference is the strategies used in playing, not the speed of the gameplay?

Yes true... SC2/SC is about micromanagement, speed and keyboard/mouse skills and CoH/DoW2 is more about tactical decisions and anticipation of the battlefield. Two very different schools of the RTS genre.

NemesisPrime said:
Yes true... SC2/SC is about micromanagement, speed and keyboard/mouse skills and CoH/DoW2 is more about tactical decisions and anticipation of the battlefield. Two very different schools of the RTS genre.

That's actually total BS, CoH is incredibly micro-intensive if you play at a high level and requires a fairly high APM. On a low level you can do whatever you please of course but you can do that in SC2 as well. I mean if people in Copper league are averaging 50 APM that's not exactly a very speed intensive game.

Both games are about micromanagement, speed and tactical decisions. CoH is a little more tactical, and Starcraft is a little more macro and focuses on broad economic decisions more.

P.S.
Playing 2v2 Random is just asking for frustration.

Find a friend or someone on GAF to team up 2v2 with, and try playing there.

Top Bottom