• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

mannerbot

Stealing your opponent's gas isn't exactly new, and in SC2 it's normally pretty dumb considering there are two geysers. However, gas is especially essential in PvZ so it hurts to have a geyser stolen in that matchup. That said, you have to be pretty retarded to let your opponent take both your geysers (unless you a proxying them or something to that effect).

Regarding whoever asked about 2v2 on the last page: FE is, in most situations, a terrible idea in 2v2 of course. It's not something that should be complained about; rather it should be common sense given that by doing so you're creating a liability on the field that would be difficult to defend against a timing attack from one opponent and nearly impossible to defend against a timing attack from two. If you're going for a speedling build though, you can plop down an extra hatchery safely fairly early on. However, an 11 hatch is never a good idea. The whole point of a FE is to bolster your economy, and the 11 hatch is so early that it just hurts yours and also sets your tech (i.e. spawn pool) back ridiculously long since you only have 10 drones mining.

Trasher

Pandaman said:
an accurate representation of playing pez in starcraft:
29urb7o.gif

@mila: 2 hoursish?

ill make dinner then try and find ya.
lol wtf. I did that in a game where Pez was there and he made fun of me. What a dbag. :lol

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
haxxxxx

I just got in the SC2 MPQs and I've successfully been able to pull the texture files out. This includes the textures for the interface. Now I can make the official thread with Terran UI elements very easily in Photoshop! :D

ZealousD

Pulled these awesome images from the MPQ files.

4jmagk.jpg
wa0p75.jpg
wc0iag.jpg

And here they are in avatar form.

30cvr0l.jpg
245yiac.jpg
288t9e.jpg

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
ZealousD said:
Pulled these awesome images from the MPQ files.

http://i40.tinypic.com/4jmagk.jpg[IMG] [IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/wa0p75.jpg[IMG] [IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/wc0iag.jpg[IMG]

And here they are in avatar form.

[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/30cvr0l.jpg
245yiac.jpg
288t9e.jpg
how do you do that?

ZealousD

Scrow said:
how do you do that?

I used an MPQ editor to pull the files out, then used IrfanView with a small plugin to convert them to JPGs from their original filetype.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
ZealousD said:
I used an MPQ editor to pull the files out, then used IrfanView with a small plugin to convert them to JPGs from their original filetype.
which MPQ editor do you use?

ZealousD

I used Ladik's MPQ Editor myself. I don't know if it's the best one, but it worked. You'll want to look in the base.SC2Assets file. In addition to the game's textures, you can easily pull out the music and sound files if that suits your fancy. The models are a much bigger task, and beyond my capabilities.

You can get IrfanView from HERE. I actually normally use it for viewing images and doing basic editing. Cropping, resizing, brightness, that kind of stuff.

The plugin you need to view the DDS files and convert them is HERE. Look for Formats.dll and put it in the plugins folder for irfanview once it's installed. From there, you can open the files like any normal image.

Zzoram

MisterAnderson said:
Zzoram, our match deadline is tomorrow at noon. I haven't seen you on today/tonight so far but I'll try to stay on as long as i can.

I'm coming on in a few minutes, hang tight.

Trasher said:
lol wtf. I did that in a game where Pez was there and he made fun of me. What a dbag. :lol
I don't do that though.. Panda is just trying to create some representation of me stealing gas.. and you can see the drone walks away with a big gas ball :lol

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
TurtleSnatcher said:
I don't do that though.. Panda is just trying to create some representation of me stealing gas.. and you can see the drone walks away with a big gas ball :lol
how else can you get your 10 instant mutas off one gyser. :lol

i swear you did it again in our 2s. im like 'ah yea, im ahead of pez, harassing val and winning this game!' then i look down and you've got this massive ball of mutas. >_>

Alright, so here are the results to Round 4's

Demi (T) vs. Alumnus (P)

Score:
Demi - 0 : 2 - Alumnus
Replay Pack: Demi vs. Alumnus

Game 1
Map: Steppes of War
Winner:
..... Alumnus .....

Game 2
Map: Lost Temple
Winner:
..... Alumnus .....

Game 3
Map: Blistering Sands
Winner:
... Anti Spoiler ...

Pandaman said:
how else can you get your 10 instant mutas off one gyser. :lol

i swear you did it again in our 2s. im like 'ah yea, im ahead of pez, harassing val and winning this game!' then i look down and you've got this massive ball of mutas. >_>
:lol

You actually had Mutas before me that game :)

Trasher

TurtleSnatcher said:
Haha. It is fun to do when playing against friends though. :p

valenti said:
I totally forgot about the baneling and zergling tactic, havent seen that strategy is a long time :lol
:lol yea did it on a whim only cuz you both made either a wall or a great choke and we both were zerg.

When I saw your hellions I was like.. oy. But then I figured we may be able to trap and poke them enough to kill em

That was a gg.

Ashhong

i got cannon rushed for the first time today. it made me rage like no other. some cannons at the ramp so i couldnt leave. then he slowly started creeping towards my base and made it so i cant build on one of my gasses as zerg. eventually put out some spine crawlers, but i was way too slow in doing that. it was a 2v2 game and somehow i made it to brood lords and cleared it out, but it was too late. so fucking ridiculous.

Paz said:
Lost over 100 pts playing random the other day but still hanging in there at 176 :)
Nice.

just watched one of the top terran players replays.. he was agst one of the top zerg players.

He teched straight to thors and drops ships and harassed using that throughout the whole game.. then just massed a ton.. along with a few marauders and hellions..

Crazyness.. :lol

Zzoram

TurtleSnatcher said:

Blizzard REALLY needs to implement a server wide ranking system so people know how they stand. #1 platinum in division 5 could be way better than #1 platinum in division 40, but we'll never know without a proper global ranking system.

Also, Blizzard needs to implement a way to play on different continental servers. It would be awful if US players could never play with EU or Asia players, it would horribly fracture the community.

Won

Zzoram said:
Blizzard REALLY needs to implement a server wide ranking system so people know how they stand. #1 platinum in division 5 could be way better than #1 platinum in division 40, but we'll never know without a proper global ranking system.

I think the idea is that something like that isn't really needed. Instead you have somekind of tournament, in which the top 8 of each division can duke it out. At least that's how I understand the ladder currently.

Top Bottom