• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Milabrega

mcrae said:

500x_starcraft_2_beta_01.jpg

"Hell, it's about time."

Yaweee, Orange_peel and NeoUltima to go!

I really want some more interviews or official media to come out of Blizzard. Would like to hear more about their thoughts on beta, launch plans and stuff that will be in the final game.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Milabrega said:
Wow nice Procarbine won, gotta watch those replays. Care to give a summary/your thoughts of what went down?
game 1:
didn't see.
game 2:
fucking reapers.
game 3:
pretty epic battle, but vaut lost a few units unneccasarily and force fields were not playing in his favour. pro dropped the macro ball, but that just opened up the option for his finisher.

edit:
fuck yea, mcrae is in!

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Yeah, 2 posts above sum it up nicely. I got lucky with vaut making a couple mistakes and managed to win.

I swear I was planning to buy those brood lords all along...

But minerals get so high with I'm just pumping zerglings like I was during those battles, I need to do a better job of management.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Procarbine said:
Yeah, 2 posts above sum it up nicely. I got lucky with vaut making a couple mistakes and managed to win.

I swear I was planning to buy those brood lords all along...

But minerals get so high with I'm just pumping zerglings like I was during those battles, I need to do a better job of management.
also, if you have 800 minerals and 10 supply buffer, build some ovies you were capped quite a bit there and it hurt when vaut caught that morphing overseer and lord.

i know everyone wants to save up exactly 900 minerals to build exactly 12 hydras out of their four hatches, but you shouldn't do that in sc2. >_>

mcrae

game1:
spawned protoss vs terran. he walled in so i went 3 gateway stalkers, with blink, inspired by the video where idra got rocked. attacked his wall with 4, blinked 4 around the back and once they got in he left.

game 2:
protoss vs protoss. tried the same build, with 4 gateways. his zealots and sentries were more than a match for what i had at base, so i took those 4 stalkers and warped in 4 more to my proxy pylon, and hoped i could trade bases with him. he took my base out and i took his economy and pylons out, so it was a matter of units vs units, except i had to watch his nexuses not to build more probes. i sent 3 stalkers to guard my pylon, 1 on his natural nexus, and left 4 taking out his base. he found the pylon too fast and i couldnt get my guys back in time, not sure if would have mattered anyways. fun shit.

game 3:
me protoss vs him terron on scrapstation. did the same build, attacked with 10 stalkers, blinked through the wall into his econ line... and just killed the marines as they came. he had some of those ships that can cloak (valkeries?) and thought that could save him... but i jsut built an observer and it was gg

game 4:
me protoss him terran. he went all rines, i went 4 gate stalkers. i realize now that i should ahve gotten collossi, but instead i just tried pumping out stalkers, and it didnt work. but then he dropped, and i won :/

game 5:
spawned as zerg vs terran on that really small 1v1 jungle map. his three marines and scv attacked my queen and killed it. when i saw them coming i made a spine crawler, and they started attacking that in progress. right before it was about to die my 6 lings spawned and killed them. another 6 and i took out his proxy barracks. then i got some roaches, and sent 4 with 15 lings into his base... where he only had 2 tech lab barracks and like 5 marines, with 2 more barracks building. was decent, kinda felt like a hollow win.

got placed into gold division 78. anyone wanna play some 2v2?

Corran Horn said:
The replay has been posted, but this is a youtube version with HD commentary
Stalker Blink Micro against IdrA
is there some sort of hotkey strategy being employed so that you don't have to go back and forth over the map to select certain units or buildings? he was able to micromanage that battle AND build more units without ever leaving the fight.

how?

a noob question I'm sure, but hey...you don't find out unless you ask.

Ashhong

Dreams-Visions said:
is there some sort of hotkey strategy being employed so that you don't have to go back and forth over the map to select certain units or buildings? he was able to micromanage that battle AND build more units without ever leaving the fight.

how?

a noob question I'm sure, but hey...you don't find out unless you ask.

how do you know he never left the fight? hes probably just quick. as far as i know theres no way to warp in units without leaving the fight...u have to select the spot.

Milabrega

You can hotkey buildings using CTRL + #. Then select the buildings and warp them in the proxy pylon slot. Probably takes 1-2 seconds draw from the fight considering how close the proxy area was to the fight.

Ashhong

Milabrega said:
You can hotkey buildings using CTRL + #. Then select the buildings and warp them in the proxy pylon slot. Probably takes 1-2 seconds draw from the fight considering how close the proxy area was to the fight.

can you warp into the pylon slot from the hotkeys?

mcrae said:
game1:

game 4:
me protoss him terran. he went all rines, i went 4 gate stalkers. i realize now that i should ahve gotten collossi, but instead i just tried pumping out stalkers, and it didnt work. but then he dropped, and i won :/

Ha I think that might have been me! Stalkers jumped over my wall but right in my marines + first tank + ghost tossing an EMP... stalkers didn't last. Had more marines, tanks ghosts and some medics and was advancing to the center when my connection died... =(

Milabrega

Ashhong said:
can you warp into the pylon slot from the hotkeys?

I know you can't warp into the pylon slot from the mini map, I'm not sure about Pylon tab'ing to warp in. I would think not, but then again I didn't know until this past week that you can chrono boost from tab hot keys.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So who's in the lead now. Pro?

Who's he going up against?

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Pandaman said:
well, being outnumbered by a larger number of units with higher health, mobility and damage will do that blink or not. -.-
No because most units you can (attempt to) run from when outnumbered. There are instances where this does to me mid game what marauder slow used to do extremely early in the game with severe results.

I'm not really making balance comments but I am having a difficult time. Just need to build more ghosts.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
elostyle said:
No because most units you can (attempt to) run from when outnumbered. There are instances where this does to me mid game what marauder slow used to do extremely early in the game with severe results.

I'm not really making balance comments but I am having a difficult time. Just need to build more ghosts.
there are terran units that can outrun stalkers?

Zzoram

Jokey665 said:
This is so good. Every time Idra loses, a mutalisk gets its wings. :lol

Idra was cocky. He should've sent a pair of lings to scout the Protoss again while he was droning up. After seeing mass Stalkers and the Twilight, he should've realized he was going for Blink.

Milabrega said:
thought so.

that's what I was talking about Ashong. you can tell he didn't leave for long stretches because he kept moving his units around playing cat and mouse...WHILE building new units.

the strat for this would be to hotkey your gateways. this way, while you may have to momentarially "leave your fight", you it's for much, much less time. Instead of:

1.)
locating your base on the map.
2.) clicking the map.
3.) resetting position to be above your gateways
4.) clicking your gateways
5.) clicking the units you want
6.) moving the camera back to the area where the pylon you want to warm them to
7.) clicking to warp the unit you want in

you can:

1.) click your hotkey for your gateway(s)
2.) move your screen over to the nearby gateway that may not even be out of sight range for the fight you're in
3.) select the unit and warp them in.

the amount of time saved is ridiculous. this actually gives you time to micromanage without worrying about the fact that your micromanaging means you're not building any units.

so while he may have "left the fight" for 1.5-2.5 seconds to build his units with hotkeys, he didn't leave it for the 6-8 seconds it would have taken him to build them without the hotkeys.

this is why questions are asked. this will change the way I play StarCraft forever. I'm sure we were late to the party with this, but it doesn't matter. better late than never.

thanks for your answer, Milabrega.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Pookaki said:
I am in Bronze league right now, and its a cheese fest. Cannon rushed, check. gateway in my base, check x100. Mega frustrating.
Scout frequently and aggressively in bronze. A lot of them will try to cheap you because they can't play for real, and you'll familiarize yourself with all the popular cheesing spots and techniques so it's win win.

Halycon said:
Scout frequently and aggressively in bronze. A lot of them will try to cheap you because they can't play for real, and you'll familiarize yourself with all the popular cheesing spots and techniques so it's win win.

When I see the enemy scout I send one of my guys to attack it. I'm not wasting anymore than he is and it prevents it from doing any stupid tricks, plus a lot of guys will waste time microing it a lot.

Won

frankthurk said:
When I see the enemy scout I send one of my guys to attack it. I'm not wasting anymore than he is and it prevents it from doing any stupid tricks, plus a lot of guys will waste time microing it a lot.

Eh, you should scout yourself anyway, so the drone you send after the scout is more or less still a waste.

Interestingly enough I haven't really seen any cheese since I started playing Terran. On the other end, 2 of the 3 ladder games I played as Zerg this week revolved around cheese. Poor bugs.

Yaweee

Milabrega said:
Yaweee, Orange_peel and NeoUltima to go!

Damnit, I have three Bnet accounts, and soon to four (found a WC2BNE key at my parents' house). It's a shame that there probably aren't going to be any more "big" invite waves.

Won said:
Eh, you should scout yourself anyway, so the drone you send after the scout is more or less still a waste.

Interestingly enough I haven't really seen any cheese since I started playing Terran. On the other end, 2 of the 3 ladder games I played as Zerg this week revolved around cheese. Poor bugs.

I usually only scout later, the guy I send after his may become my scout. Most of the cheese comes from early scouting when there's not much to see anyway.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Olivero said:
Any word on when the Mac beta keys drop?
i doubt there will be separate keys for Mac. Blizzard will simply release the Mac client and anyone already with a beta key will be able to use it.

of course they'd probably release a bunch of new keys around that time, if that's what you're getting at.

and no, there's no word other than "April"

Ashhong

Dreams-Visions said:
thought so.

that's what I was talking about Ashong. you can tell he didn't leave for long stretches because he kept moving his units around playing cat and mouse...WHILE building new units.

the strat for this would be to hotkey your gateways. this way, while you may have to momentarially "leave your fight", you it's for much, much less time. Instead of:

1.)
locating your base on the map.
2.) clicking the map.
3.) resetting position to be above your gateways
4.) clicking your gateways
5.) clicking the units you want
6.) moving the camera back to the area where the pylon you want to warm them to
7.) clicking to warp the unit you want in

you can:

1.) click your hotkey for your gateway(s)
2.) move your screen over to the nearby gateway that may not even be out of sight range for the fight you're in
3.) select the unit and warp them in.

Oh I figured that you knew you could hotkey buildings already, sounded like you knew =P You're right, there's no shame in asking questions, learn something new every day. In case you don't know this little tidbit, a good idea is to put your nexus with say, a robotics facility on one hotkey. You can press this hotkey, start building a unit, and then use chrono boost by clicking on the building in the little group section, all without leaving the battle. I didn't know this until a few pages ago

hobart

Scrow said:
i doubt there will be separate keys for Mac. Blizzard will simply release the Mac client and anyone already with a beta key will be able to use it.

of course they'd probably release a bunch of new keys around that time, if that's what you're getting at.

and no, there's no word other than "April"

Being a Mac user currently in Beta (with his PC) I was eager to see how the Mac keys would drop as well. When I log into my bnet account... the Beta Client is colored for PC and grayed for the Mac. So... I'd agree with Scrow that it doesn't look as if there will be separate keys for Mac users... however... I can't imagine them not taking a bunch of Mac users in order for them to test the Mac client.

I will, of course, try running Mac Beta native on my Macbook Pro... just to see.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
valenti said:
ggs panda
both games had me so salty. :lol
your contain in the terran match was godly, by the time i broke it it was too late. :( and of course you found both of my expo attempts as toss. >_>

Zzoram

I can't beat Terran at all anymore. I think I've always been bad against Terran, but now I'm really bad. I don't know how to baneling bust properly, because when I do it, I can't beat the ball of MM standing behind the wall. Once they have a huge MMM army, they just walk right over me and I'm dead.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Zzoram said:
I can't beat Terran at all anymore. I think I've always been bad against Terran, but now I'm really bad. I don't know how to baneling bust properly, because when I do it, I can't beat the ball of MM standing behind the wall. Once they have a huge MMM army, they just walk right over me and I'm dead.

You can try baneling bust early, but it's hard to do right, and the timing is tricky because if you don't inflict tons of damage you end up way behind. What I've tried to do lately is do 14 Pool 14-15 hatch into roach/ling. Build up a ground army and fight for map control, you should probably keep him pinned. If he's walling up hardcore it's hard to judge, try to get an overseer in there to scout.

Next I tech up to muta, build 5-9 then go for some harass, which can be very tough to defend initially if he didn't scout the spire. You can be sneaky about where you put it too, often when I play against a Terran I'll put the spire off to the edge of the base to get it out of comsat range using overlord creep generation. From the muta harass you're free to tech or mass up while he's worrying about defending his base. Brood Lords dominate MMM, don't hesitate to use them. Infestors work as well if you're going the ground route, but you've gotta be careful of those siege tanks.

In general you've got to contain and expand, because in an even base situation Terran will dominate you in the eco game. The mistake I often make is not balancing my ground army well enough with my tech, so I end up getting pushed in with marauders. Or I get too greedy early and get stomped by reapers.

Zzoram said:

its not just you, zerg in general has felt extremely hard to be threatening with since the latest patch. I think it's a combination of both hydras being way too squishy now and now that terran doesnt have to constantly be on the lookout for roaches since the armor nerf they build much more generally now which completely rapes zerglings.

There's something off about zerg, i dunno what but i started feeling lately like a huge problem is that both workers and the now incredibly nerfed offensive units are built from the same larva which never seemed to be a big deal throughout the entirety of SC1 and most of the beta so far but now it's starting to really bug me. I think it's just how slightly weaker they've become recently.

Zzoram

Ice Monkey said:
its not just you, zerg in general has felt extremely hard to be threatening with since the latest patch. I think it's a combination of both hydras being way too squishy now and now that terran doesnt have to constantly be on the lookout for roaches since the armor nerf they build much more generally now which completely rapes zerglings.

There's something off about zerg, i dunno what but i started feeling lately like a huge problem is that both workers and the now incredibly nerfed offensive units are built from the same larva which never seemed to be a big deal throughout the entirety of SC1 and most of the beta so far but now it's starting to really bug me. I think it's just how slightly weaker they've become recently.

I would imagine at higher levels of play, good harassment and containment is how Zergs still win vs Terran, but at lower levels like where I am, I feel like it's impossible to crack Terran and impossible to stop from being rolled by them too.

Datwheezy said:
Tried playing with Zerg. I am absolute garbage with them though.

Zerg still haven't clicked with me yet either. It always seems like I can never have enough guys to even hard counter an enemies force.

mcrae

BlueScrote said:
Zerg still haven't clicked with me yet either. It always seems like I can never have enough guys to even hard counter an enemies force.

they are emerging as my favourite race. i just took out both players in 2v2 bronze by myself, with zerglings. killed off the zerg, then suicided some against terran wall, retraeated changed 2/3 into banelings broke it and laughed

Top Bottom