• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Milabrega

Pandaman said:
mila, since our online times have not synced lately, did you have any plans to be on tonight?

predator.jpg

"Anytime"

czartim said:
Is no-warpgate toss a viable strat? I can't seem to get that part down, but I enjoy the units more.

Do you mean no gateways or having gateways, but not upgrading them to warpgates?

I still havent gotten used to upgrading to warpgates because I'm not used to them.

A no gateway at all strategy would probably be prettytough, since they are the bread n butter protoss units.

Won

czartim said:
Is no-warpgate toss a viable strat? I can't seem to get that part down, but I enjoy the units more.

Warpgates are a straight upgrade from gateways and you will need the units out of them.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
czartim said:
No.

at best you can try some sort of warpray rush, but robo and stargate cant hold off t1 units in mass. they need support and protoss air to ground is terribly weak. at the very least you'd need sentries and some good forcefields to make an all robo army viable and that will be very hard on your gas.

FFFE into 4 gas into sentry/robo vs zerg would be the only situation where it might be viable IMO. [and youll have to be very on point with forcefields to keep zerglings off you.

if you have and use gateways, there's no reason not to get warpgates.

CzarTim

Okay, thanks. I guess I'll stick with Terran then. I'm not fast enough to rush, and I'm not great a micro, so I'm really just looking for a strat that fits my play style best.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
DemiMatt said:
WHAT ABOUT YOUR PLATINUM RECORD MILA?!

BTW for those interested my Banshee rush will be on tonight in the gaf tourney vs Alumnus.

Hopefully ~ 8pm PST.

I'll be watching, and waiting for one of you in the next round. *sinister laugh*

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Procarbine said:
I'll be watching, and waiting for one of you in the next round. *sinister laugh*
just keep sneding em my way pro.

you're only making me stronger for your eventual defeat.

JWong said:
Yeah that's a gamble.

Kind of risky, but that's cheese.

I dunno, is it cheese tho? I pump an observer out and scout them. If they don't have detection/air, I wall off and go for DT's. Pump out a warp prism and get some stalkers to watch my ramp.

If they do have detection, I usuually go with stalkers/sentrys/Charge Zelots and get some weapon/armor upgrades.

Its working pretty well for me :)

JWong

Banned
czartim said:
Well, I forgot the cost, but it's like 50-100 mineral and gas?

That's pretty cheap for the extreme advantage it gives you. Especially defensively.
Pookaki said:
I dunno, is it cheese tho? I pump an observer out and scout them. If they don't have detection/air, I wall off and go for DT's. Pump out a warp prism and get some stalkers to watch my ramp.

If they do have detection, I usuually go with stalkers/sentrys/Charge Zelots and get some weapon/armor upgrades.

Its working pretty well for me :)
Oh, you said proxy rush. Warp Prism isn't exactly proxy...

CzarTim

Wow, that was a weird bug. Played 2v2. Got a pause a few times due to a player on the other team. A few minutes later we rushed one of their bases (the guy that wasn't lagging). Then the other guy left the game, it said that I was slowing down the game (in text at the top left; never seen that before). All of the sudden it says we won, and when I look at the game stats, I'm not listed. :lol :lol

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
czartim said:
Wow, that was a weird bug. Played 2v2. Got a pause a few times due to a player on the other team. A few minutes later we rushed one of their bases (the guy that wasn't lagging). Then the other guy left the game, it said that I was slowing down the game (in text at the top left; never seen that before). All of the sudden it says we won, and when I look at the game stats, I'm not listed. :lol :lol
he left, you won, the stats bug is common.

Zzoram

FieryBalrog said:
That's actually total BS, CoH is incredibly micro-intensive if you play at a high level and requires a fairly high APM. On a low level you can do whatever you please of course but you can do that in SC2 as well. I mean if people in Copper league are averaging 50 APM that's not exactly a very speed intensive game.

Both games are about micromanagement, speed and tactical decisions. CoH is a little more tactical, and Starcraft is a little more macro and focuses on broad economic decisions more.

P.S.
Playing 2v2 Random is just asking for frustration.

Find a friend or someone on GAF to team up 2v2 with, and try playing there.

Yep. People just think CoH doesn't need speed because there are so few good competitive players in that scene compared to Starcraft. Why would they stick to CoH when there is money to be made in Broodwar/WarcraftIII?

zoukka

My most bitter loss against a plat player where I forgot to babysit my mutalisks for a while, while countering a marine drop and they wander to a pile of towers...

*tear*

JWong

Banned
Pandaman said:
im starting to enjoy spamming at the start of games. :lol 328apm to build an scv is hilarious.
I did that for a few games, but I found that it distracted me more than to be helpful. 8(

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
fanboi said:
Hmm, I lost two games for me and Won due to FE.
FE yes or no in 2v2? I play as zerg FE with drone 11.

It's dangerous to do in 2v2, relies on what you scout because most people just want to rush. If you are going to do it, though, I'd recommend a spawning pool first, so 14-pool 15-hatch or something along those lines.

fanboi

Banned
Procarbine said:
It's dangerous to do in 2v2, relies on what you scout because most people just want to rush. If you are going to do it, though, I'd recommend a spawning pool first, so 14-pool 15-hatch or something along those lines.

Hmm, ok...

Won was mad at me :| but he had the right to be it...

Dont play 2v2 so much.

Dunno why I continued to do it :lol leason learned

JWong

Banned
For myself, I decide if I expand depending on the race and whether they wall off. I never expand real fast if it's against a zerg, but if it's terran or protoss, it's safer.

If I see the opponents wall off or build choke bases around the ramp, I go for the expansion. Otherwise, I stick with one base until I have enough roaches to do mobile defense.

Edit: I was third about 1am, but now I'm first. Guess I'm moving up to silver soon.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
an accurate representation of playing pez in starcraft:
29urb7o.gif

@mila: 2 hoursish?

ill make dinner then try and find ya.

NemesisPrime said:
Yes true... SC2/SC is about micromanagement, speed and keyboard/mouse skills and CoH/DoW2 is more about tactical decisions and anticipation of the battlefield. Two very different schools of the RTS genre.

Yeah, this isn't true at all. IIRC at the top level in starcraft there is actually a split between the players that view micro as the all important skill and those that see macro as being the thing to train. You can rape somebody by having the right unit composition and not being absolutely retarded at micro or by having the best micro ever and not totally messing up unit production and economy.

Zzoram

LOL

so one of the many rich poker players that used to be good broodwar players, Smuft (P) is betting $5000 that he can beat Idra (Z) in a Bo5 with a week's training. Idra is putting up $500 of his own money, and other people are backing him up with the rest hoping to double up.

It's awesome how there are so many rich poker players willing to toss money at Starcraft. Smuft has also been hosting a bunch of tournaments with $500 prizes with the help of some other poker players.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Zzoram said:
LOL

so one of the many rich poker players that used to be good broodwar players, Smuft (P) is betting $5000 that he can beat Idra (Z) in a Bo5 with a week's training. Idra is putting up $500 of his own money, and other people are backing him up with the rest hoping to double up.

It's awesome how there are so many rich poker players willing to toss money at Starcraft. Smuft has also been hosting a bunch of tournaments with $500 prizes with the help of some other poker players.
Im almost praying for cheese

Zzoram

Corran Horn said:
Im almost praying for cheese

Regardless, Starcraft is the most awesome RTS for spectators in part because there are people and sponsors who throw money at it to make it more exciting.

Jokey665

Zzoram said:
LOL

Wait, seriously? Is there a thread on TL or something? I really want to see how people responded to that. :lol

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Milabrega said:
Alright Panda getting on now, gonna be watching your replays until our match!!

The older ones where I used to win
dinner just finished so im eating now. ^^

see you soon boss.

Top Bottom