• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You know how you're playing a 1v1 game.

And then you do an early rush that rapes their economy and you're really too lazy to finish them off and wish they'd just quit? And just keep teching until you hit them with like, 100 zerg 30 mutas?

Yeah. My name is Halycon, and I'm a tech addict.

winnarps

Mutalisks seem so powerful right now.

Zerglings -> Speedlings (possibly harass) + a few Spine Crawlers for basic defense, expand semi-early, tech to Lair and pump out as many Mutas as possible.

I don't even know what counters them effectively, besides extremely early rush / harassment. Once you get that Mutaball going, things just die.

fanboi

Banned
winnarps said:
Mutalisks seem so powerful right now.

Zerglings -> Speedlings (possibly harass) + a few Spine Crawlers for basic defense, expand semi-early, tech to Lair and pump out as many Mutas as possible.

I don't even know what counters them effectively, besides extremely early rush / harassment. Once you get that Mutaball going, things just die.

Thor will slaughter them... for Terran.

Protoss... ehem... Psi Storm?

msv

fanboi said:
well then.

fanboi.gaf
Ozorov
Kewl, I'm in,

fanboi
ozorov
msv

And it's true, not many EU players. A few regular active players, but the pool is so small compared to the US.

Cheeto said:
Sentries guardian shield nullifies a lot of Muta damage.
Yeah, sentries can kill mutas pretty well. Do multiple guardian shields on top of each other add up?

Ozorov

msv said:
Kewl, I'm in,

fanboi
ozorov
msv

And it's true, not many EU players. A few regular active players, but the pool is so small compared to the US.

Yeah, sentries can kill mutas pretty well. Do multiple guardian shields on top of each other add up?

Get online fuckah

ZealousD said:
Round 4 results are going to go up a bit late, since I'm working an early shift today. However, I've gone ahead and updated the bracket.

http://gafstarcraft2.comoj.com/gafbracket.html

I seem to be missing Hazaro vs Valenti and Cheeto vs Trasher. Have these matchups been done?
shoulda used Challonge or Tournamento.. its what the fighting game guys use! :)

Deltron - We already fell from #1 in 2v2 Gold. Boourns. We just need to get up to 1500+ and have a solid hand to get promoted again.

I wonder how the starcraft cheating scandal will affect Starcraft 2 in the professional arenas.

Haven't had a chance to play much the last couple days, looking to change that tonight.

mcrae

what is everyone's opinion as gas stealing? i play as zerg, btw. how early should i do it? is there a reason not to? is there a reason to steal both geysers?

Cheeto

mcrae said:
what is everyone's opinion as gas stealing? i play as zerg, btw. how early should i do it? is there a reason not to? is there a reason to steal both geysers?
I had a protoss player double gas steal me with its scouting probe, it definitely delayed my warp gate research, however I was able to spam zealot and put pressure on him since he spent the minerals on the assimilators

JWong

Banned
Random 2v2 is just too brutal. Apparently, Randoming doesn't mean you will face only random teams... I faced a premade team twice.

Matchmaking seems a bit wonky as I faced platinums as bronze and premades as random.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
BlueScrote said:
I wonder how the starcraft cheating scandal will affect Starcraft 2 in the professional arenas.

Haven't had a chance to play much the last couple days, looking to change that tonight.
Ya it be interesting to see what happens from this scandal.

BlueScrote said:

It may increase the incentive for pro-players to move to SC2 if sponsorship of SC1 leagues decline due to the scandal thus removing a financial incentive for pros to stay in SC1.

Milabrega

mcrae said:

I've never done it myself, but I've seen it be very successful in ZvP, and in theorycraft, it could be successful in PvP. Protoss are the heaviest on gas consumption. Slow the time before stalkers/sentries and tier 2 units get out, and as zerg your roaches/lings will bypass or tear apart the zealots. Where as in the PvP match up theorycraft, a double gas steal into a Void Rush could work out very well.

Won

mcrae said:

It doesn't bother me as Terran. I forget to put SCVs in my second refinary all the time anyway, so I'm used to play out of one refinary. :/

Both gas never happened...and I try not to let it happen. As Zerg it sounds like big early money dump. 150 minerals and 2 drones that don't mine for you...I don't know.

Milabrega

Won said:
150 minerals and 2 drones that don't mine for you...I don't know.

Zerg extractor is only 25 minerals I thought. so Net loss is 100 in cost and the opportunity cost of two additional mining drones. Well worth it if you intend to Ling rush, fast speedlings or push early with roaches.

Yaweee

The Lamonster said:
really wanting Blizz to announce a release date soon...

That's not how Blizzard works. It is done when it is done. The only announcement you'll likely get is once it goes Gold.

I think Gas steal with Protoss is pretty awesome.. specially if you keep your probe in the town and manage to hide it while they kill the assimilators and then just bring him back in and make another hah.. Specially if they only make like 2 units to kill it.

Haly

TurtleSnatcher said:
I think Gas steal with Protoss is pretty awesome.. specially if you keep your probe in the town and manage to hide it while they kill the assimilators and then just bring him back in and make another hah.. Specially if they only make like 2 units to kill it.
Seems pretty expensive though. Unless you cancel the assimilator right before it finishes while they continue attacking it.

mcrae

Milabrega said:
Zerg extractor is only 25 minerals I thought. so Net loss is 100 in cost and the opportunity cost of two additional mining drones. Well worth it if you intend to Ling rush, fast speedlings or push early with roaches.

the drones cost 50 to make, plus 25 for the extractor. so it really is 150 mineral loss, compared to stealing with toss, its a 150 mineral loss but you only lose 1 probe at most.

my normal zerg strat is speedlings, and it is almost guaranteed to work if they don't wall in. but if they do wall in then they aren't really effective cause my midgame sucks ass. i think i might try a strat out where i steal both geysers, and then go fast fast mutas... hmm

Trasher

Avatar sized some Protoss stuff if anyone wants. Rehost if you want one:

14738210.jpg

injured_protoss_zealot_by_bugball.jpg

darktemplar-thumb1.jpg

Protoss_by_Beloved_Creature.jpg

582334180_1bc6db8199.jpg

Starcraft__Zeratul_by_Arsenal21.jpg

Haly

mcrae said:
the drones cost 50 to make, plus 25 for the extractor. so it really is 150 mineral loss, compared to stealing with toss, its a 150 mineral loss but you only lose 1 probe at most.

my normal zerg strat is speedlings, and it is almost guaranteed to work if they don't wall in. but if they do wall in then they aren't really effective cause my midgame sucks ass. i think i might try a strat out where i steal both geysers, and then go fast fast mutas... hmm
If they're terran then you should guild a Baneling nest. 5 banelings takes out supply depot.

Pez is educational!

Also thanks for the avvie trasher but I'm going to stick with Yotsuba :p

mcrae

Halycon said:
If they're terran then you should guild a Baneling nest. 5 banelings takes out supply depot.

Pez is educational!

Also thanks for the avvie trasher but I'm going to stick with Yotsuba :p

ive tried this. the problems seem to be that either
1. the banelings get killed before they break the wall or
2. the zerglings attack the depo and block the banelings from killing anything, then the banelings die

i guess i should send like 4-5 zerglings, then 6-7 banelings, then the rest of the zergling blob up the ramp?

Haly

mcrae said:
ive tried this. the problems seem to be that either
1. the banelings get killed before they break the wall or
2. the zerglings attack the depo and block the banelings from killing anything, then the banelings die

i guess i should send like 4-5 zerglings, then 6-7 banelings, then the rest of the zergling blob up the ramp?
One ling to scout.

Send in baneling group if not many marines (that's why you make extras, some of them serve as buffers)

Follow with blob.

You really don't want to move speedlings and banelings with the same command because the former will grossly outstrip the latter.

Sloegr

FoxSpirit said:
Oh wow... shit.

Yeah, that's some shit. In retrospect, it's pretty obvious that Brood War would be a good target for match fixing, but it had never crossed my mind until now.

Top Bottom