• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

mcrae said:
ive tried this. the problems seem to be that either
1. the banelings get killed before they break the wall or
2. the zerglings attack the depo and block the banelings from killing anything, then the banelings die

i guess i should send like 4-5 zerglings, then 6-7 banelings, then the rest of the zergling blob up the ramp?

You're doing it wrong..

6-7 banelings.. Then if 2 die you are still usually okay.

Then you send in your zlings right after.. Leave them out of sight. Usually my OL or another scout already sees the supply depot or the position.. so I target it through Fog of War and don't even show any sign that im coming.

Then again I don't do baneling often. Only situational.

A fun little replay of a game I played. The action starts around 7 minutes. This is Bronze league play, so don't come in expecting to be blown out of the water. I did have some clutch sentry force fields tho :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b589L-Sa4jc (Youtube is still processing it, the HD version should be up soon.)

He should have gotten an overseer.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I didn't have time to head home after work, so I can't finalize the bracket for the next round for a couple hours. I'm extending the deadline for Round 4 by one day due to operational technicalities on my end. Trasher and Cheeto get another night to finish their match.

Won

Pookaki said:
A fun little replay of a game I played. The action starts around 7 minutes. This is Bronze league play, so don't come in expecting to be blown out of the water. I did have some clutch sentry force fields tho :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b589L-Sa4jc (Youtube is still processing it, the HD version should be up soon.)

Man, you have to spend your minerals!

Won said:
Man, you have to spend your minerals!
I guess thats what is holding me back from being better.

What do I spend them on is the question? I notice that I have a boatload near the end of the game. I guess I could have expanded.

Hindsight is 20/20

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Pookaki said:
I guess thats what is holding me back from being better.

What do I spend them on is the question? I notice that I have a boatload near the end of the game. I guess I could have expanded.

Hindsight is 20/20
expand, more gateways, immortals.

Chris R

Pookaki said:

Looks like a pretty sweet strategy to try out on my brother once we both get Beta keys :lol

Blizzard's Facebook page today... send in the Ghosts with nukes :( Horrible battle.net issues all day so they ended up giving no keys away :lol

Ashhong

hey someone tried to play with me while i was in a game and didnt get to add them...

if that was you message me again! lol

edit: i think it was you pookaki? whats your game info?

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
I think the "favored" system might be messed up, I just played in a 1v1 against a "Slightly Favored" opponent, I asked what rank he was, said he was silver. I mean, I know I'm not high in gold, but how could the system say he was favored? Also, the game wasn't even close, I beat him handily with a zergling/muta build.

Ashhong

Pandaman said:
this is hitting close to home. :lol

@turtle: it might not be HD, i have a deltron in my division. :lol

wouldnt be surprised, i think HD is in platinum

gotta see some familiar faces sometime

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Ashhong said:
wouldnt be surprised, i think HD is in platinum

gotta see some familiar faces sometime
there are atleast 2 hdstarcrafts in plat that i am aware of.

i wouldnt be shocked if there was a third. :p

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
"This isn't some video game. This is something you work on.
You aren't going to play Mario Kart for a fun week." - Day[9]'s mom :lol

BAM excused absences!

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Pandaman said:
he lost his bunny. ;_;

it'd murder me to lose my bunny, buster.

sadly a few teardrops dropped from my eyes. he's telling awesome stories and reminds me of my old days of growing up playing starcraft 1. Nostalgia is epic

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
SteveO409 said:
sadly a few teardrops dropped from my eyes. he's telling awesome stories and reminds me of my old days of growing up playing starcraft 1. Nostalgia is epic
its a shame he never finished his early battlenet stories. :p

Won

Procarbine said:
I think the "favored" system might be messed up, I just played in a 1v1 against a "Slightly Favored" opponent, I asked what rank he was, said he was silver. I mean, I know I'm not high in gold, but how could the system say he was favored? Also, the game wasn't even close, I beat him handily with a zergling/muta build.

Maybe it actually goes with the points instead of the rank/league? I think points are overlapping between the leagues, though I think you lose some points, if you rank up.....

It can be a weird system......

Also Zergling/Muta build beats everything! :(

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Really good play from ZerO holding those drops and pushes off while sniping vessels and making sure he had good unit composition. 4 gas Zerg is scary especially when they skip mutalisks. Suddenly you run into ultras with 6 armor :lol

I almost feel like sc2 takes some of the charm away from profesionally played games since so many things are just hotkeyable now. Meh, watching someone keep up production with what 7, 8 hatcheries and 5 barracks +factory+starports that game? all game long, while microing units (scourge on sci vessels, dark swarms, consume FOR darkswarms, irradiate on defilers, stiming, drop shipping) sc1 macro/micro management is seriously an art :eek:

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Orangepeel said:
I almost feel like sc2 takes some of the charm away from profesionally played games since so many things are just hotkeyable now. Meh, watching someone keep up production with what 7, 8 hatcheries and 5 barracks +factory+starports that game? all game long, while microing units (scourge on sci vessels, dark swarms, consume FOR darkswarms, irradiate on defilers, stiming, drop shipping) sc1 macro/micro management is seriously an art :eek:
While it won't be as impressive since it raises the bottom of the skill level, the high levels will still be high and differ themselves in other ways. Macro will still obviously be a large part of it. (See Sheth(sp?) having near under 150 minerals while on 4 base). We are seeing stalker blink, multitasking for harass, prediction and army dodging for storms, etc.

I don't doubt we will see some tricks (e.g. clicking very close to mutas to keep them stacked) and other stuff pop up.

I have hopes for SC II to grow because the skill gap won't be as large.

zoukka

Orangepeel said:

Yeah just like SC2. You just are able to do MORE in here thanks to the interface that's updated to this millenium.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Hazaro said:
While it won't be as impressive since it raises the bottom of the skill level, the high levels will still be high and differ themselves in other ways. Macro will still obviously be a large part of it. (See Sheth(sp?) having near under 150 minerals while on 4 base). We are seeing stalker blink, multitasking for harass, prediction and army dodging for storms, etc.

I don't doubt we will see some tricks (e.g. clicking very close to mutas to keep them stacked) and other stuff pop up.

I have hopes for SC II to grow because the skill gap won't be as large.
no matter what it is. anything competitive will always have a best. if the skill gap isnt as big thats a very good thing. no one found the 12 unit select cap in sc1 to be a fun thing.

Wedge7

-COOLIO- said:
how can you tell what peoples ranks are?

also did anyone else just get kicked from the game?

After the game, in the little point breakdown, you can right-click them, add them as friend, and then view profile.

Top Bottom