• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

mcrae

-COOLIO- said:
how can you tell what peoples ranks are?

also did anyone else just get kicked from the game?

you friend them and check their profile

how do you create multi-person chatrooms?

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Stupid Terran and their stupid Comm Sweep. Why do they get to monopolize map information for the first 10 minutes of any game, anyway?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ahoyhoy said:
Stupid Terran and their stupid Comm Sweep. Why do they get to monopolize map information for the first 10 minutes of any game, anyway?
Because they can't pump probes 50% faster or spam drones 60% faster.

mcrae

nilbog21 said:
obs and ov's > scan

do you use overlord speed? cause i find they suck for scouting, unless you're scouting zerg, or for the first 5 minutes on toss, which still isnt enough time to tell me what hes gonna do.. maybe it is for pros but not me. and terran pretty much always has 1 rine out before anything besides two other supplys, and maybe a refinery is built.

NovemberMike said:
Just checking, does a warpgate build faster than a gateway? It seems like it does but I don't feel like actually running the numbers.

yeah i dont know the numbers, but much quicker

ultron87

mcrae said:
yeah i dont know the numbers, but much quicker

Is there an accepted strategy for pumping guys out of warpgates while you are off leading an attack? Is there any better way to do it than just quickly hotkeying back to your base and clicking really fast?

mcrae

ultron87 said:
Well yeah. But there isn't anyway to produce units without actually moving your camera back to a place where you have a power field, right?

true. hit w, click minimap, know your unit's shortcut key, and click/push quickly and click back to the battle. or ideally you are trailing your attack with an scv to drop a proxy pylon, so you dont have to click back too far

zoukka

ultron87 said:
Well yeah. But there isn't anyway to produce units without actually moving your camera back to a place where you have a power field, right?

Click on the minimap where you have power fields?

mcrae

so how do i counter terran drops as zerg? for the first few dozen games i tried mutas, but they seem to get eaten up. so now im trying hydras.. but they dont have the mobility :/

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
TurtleSnatcher said:
Im in the same 1v1 Division as moonglade and hdstarcraft :lol

HD is Rank 7th platinum :eek:
well, we still havnt seen him lose in one of his vids

Swittcher said:
Man, I have no idea if my laptop will run this when it comes out...

But I wanna play!

for reference, my x1400 mobile runs it

JWong

Banned
I just saw a Korean SC2 game on Husky's channel where a fake SlayersboxeR went mass Thors. The zerg thought Ultralisk was a good idea, but apparently it was not.

Mass Thors with Hellions warding off zerglings would be tough to counter, but I think banelings would have been able to destroy them easily.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
JWong said:
I just saw a Korean SC2 game on Husky's channel where a fake SlayersboxeR went mass Thors. The zerg thought Ultralisk was a good idea, but apparently it was not.

Mass Thors with Hellions warding off zerglings would be tough to counter, but I think banelings would have been able to destroy them easily.
banelings are light right?

if you put the helions up far enough you should be able to crisp em before they get to the thors.

thors/helion seems pretty strong against everything that isnt immortals or armored air

im gunna check out this game

JWong

Banned
-COOLIO- said:
banelings are light right?

if you put the helions up far enough you should be able to crisp em before they get to the thors.

thors/helion seems pretty strong against everything that isnt immortals or armored air

im gunna check out this game
Hellions slow attack rate won't stop all the banelings.

I do remember my mass baneling attack being stopped by mass colossus with some zealot to shield them.

Jtones

Banned
Well I just got invited for the beta, but when pressing "manage game" I get an error. (Lots of people seem to suffer from the same problem)

Did anyone download the (official) EUROPE client from another source and got it to work?

fanboi

Banned
Jtones said:
Well I just got invited for the beta, but when pressing "manage game" I get an error. (Lots of people seem to suffer from the same problem)

Did anyone download the (official) EUROPE client from another source and got it to work?

Another euro to the flock.

Post your in game name when you get it to work.

Corum

Jtones said:

Invited today?

I'm trying to check my account but I can't log-in. :(

chris-013

fanboi said:
Had some awesome ZvP and ZvT (I'm Zerg) against ChrisXIII...

Thought I had it... but lost it all.

Ye great games, I watched the replay of the first match yesterday and I think the win was your when you destroyed my 2 colussus and tried to destroy my second expand I only have 4 stalkers and 3-4 cannons at this time.

Both games you have too much gold, you need to make more units or more overlords.

fanboi

Banned
chris-013 said:
Ye great games, I watched the replay of the first match yesterday and I think the win was your when you destroyed my 2 colussus and tried to destroy my second expand I only have 4 stalkers and 3-4 cannons at this time.

Both games you have too much gold, you need to make more units or more overlords.

Yeah... but not enough larva :| (or micro :lol :lol )

More tonight?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ultron87 said:
bring a warp prism with your attack.

ahoyhoy said:
You should then learn to not bunch all your buildings together, often in the most obvious places too. If you're doing something unusual, learn to hide your tech in whatever corners you can. You might even want to keep your army out of sight. It is a key skill to anticipate where an opponent might scan, etc.

Keep in mind that while Terran does have the ability to scan any area on the map, this ability is limited by the area available to be seen, as well as the amount of times they can scan. With the MULE now in effect as well, the amount of scans are even cut in half at this point. That's not even taking into account that most players don't know exactly where to scan or even what they're looking for. Try your best to get around it, but try not to worry about it too much.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Pandaman said:
bring a warp prism with your attack.
Ah the warp prism, everyone seems to forget it in favor of proxy pylons.

It really is a wonderful little unit, cheap too.

I remember that one fight you did on Steppes, Alumnus, where you put your buildings in a ring around your starting area overlooking the cliffs. Anyone who scanned you would've thought you were proxying XD

mcrae

FromTheFuture said:
You should then learn to not bunch all your buildings together, often in the most obvious places too. If you're doing something unusual, learn to hide your tech in whatever corners you can. You might even want to keep your army out of sight. It is a key skill to anticipate where an opponent might scan, etc.

Keep in mind that while Terran does have the ability to scan any area on the map, this ability is limited by the area available to be seen, as well as the amount of times they can scan. With the MULE now in effect as well, the amount of scans are even cut in half at this point. That's not even taking into account that most players don't know exactly where to scan or even what they're looking for. Try your best to get around it, but try not to worry about it too much.

yeah, whenever i go from zergling to mutalisk i always keep the mutas behind me base in a corner, never where they can be seen. im trying to work on placing the spire in a better position using overlord creep generation, but dont have that down yet.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
JWong said:

I'm not really sure why he went Ultras in the first place. They just present huge targets for the thors to focus fire on.

I thought he was doing fine with the burrowed roaches. If he wanted the upper hand I think he might have done better by just pumping upgrades on them. Oh, or banelings like you said.

BrknGuitar

Neo Member
sasimirobot has been really kool to me and is sharing his account with me since we are in different time zones. so add us to your f list so I can play with some fellow gafers. name is questionable.

JWong said:

I watched that too. That was epic when all the Ultras melted away in like 20 seconds :lol

Jtones

Banned
Corum said:
Invited today?

I'm trying to check my account but I can't log-in. :(

Yes I was invited today, but I participated in a contest on pcandvideogames.com so maybe that's the reason. (It didn't say in the e-mail)

I got the download to work, so I'll post my nickname here after it's done. :)

Well, the Ultralisk is kinda a useless unit right now. In fact Zerg play in general is a little stale to watch.

The roach was never a good idea since its such a dull "tanky" unit.

mcrae

FieryBalrog said:
Well, the Ultralisk is kinda a useless unit right now. In fact Zerg play in general is a little stale to watch.

The roach was never a good idea since its such a dull "tanky" unit.

i played in a ZZ v ZZ today. we should have won but went hydra ling vs their roach ling... but my mutas took them out... but then they had liek 3-4 ultras. by the time they cleaned up my base and half of partners, the lone ultra left over had 73 kills o_O

maybe they are kinda useless in the pro's hands.. i dunno... but they were useful for those two guys.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I need some Noobie friends to master my SC skills.

I played Singleplayer only in the first one so my MP skills are abysmal. :lol

Please ADD ME, my name is Desolar.darudin :)

(Actually is there any kind of GAF SC2 meet-up thread?)

msv

Des0lar said:
I need some Noobie friends to master my SC skills.

I played Singleplayer only in the first one so my MP skills are abysmal. :lol

Please ADD ME, my name is Desolar :)

(Actually is there any kind of GAF SC2 meet-up thread?)

Jtones said:
If any noobs wanna play, or any people want to teach:

add me Digital.bath

EU? Plz be EU

winnarps

Anyone know if/when 3v3s or 4v4s will be implemented for beta?

Apparently a good bunch of my friends got in (either with friend invites or main invites), and we've all been dying to play stuff outside of 2v2 / FFA.

Not getting my hopes up, but it would be nice to try those modes out.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
mcrae said:
i played in a ZZ v ZZ today. we should have won but went hydra ling vs their roach ling... but my mutas took them out... but then they had liek 3-4 ultras. by the time they cleaned up my base and half of partners, the lone ultra left over had 73 kills o_O

maybe they are kinda useless in the pro's hands.. i dunno... but they were useful for those two guys.

Ultras can be useful in ZvZ, as zerg doesn't have any +armored hard counter units like the marauder or the immortal. Maras, immos, thors, and probably blinking stalkers (although I haven't seen it) make ultras look totally useless.

Top Bottom