• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

NimbusD

Damn, I just told my buddy about that stream and the beta giveaways on their twitter and lo and behold he gets one and I still don't.

Dammit!

clav

Ever since my Starcraft 2 beta crashed, my computer has been running the game unbearably slow. It has also resetted my stats, and no longer do I get a ranking.

53mn4m.png

My ranking is listed either undefined or -1.

terprog expressed the same issue with the ranking.

I can't play any more games because of this issue. I can't micro at 15 fps!

For the record, I was #6 Silver league before this all occurred. The game forced me to do placement matches again after the crash.

On the team liquid forums, it seems I'm not the only one suffering from the sudden slowness.

http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=116974

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=119426

clav

Corran Horn said:
Reinstalled game?/checked for viruses/spyware or anything?
Yes reinstalled the game.

Malware/virus free.

People are pointing fingers at a potential memory leak causing the game to run unstable.

Damn. I'll probably have to wait until the next patch for this to be patched up.

I even get this problem playing against the computer, too!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
FromTheFuture said:
fuck. i don't play for a few days and already i'm fucking garbage
aklshdkashds/d.,jfsd.f
Well you have forcefields and immortals so it is impossible for you to lose.:lol

Don't worry I am coming up with plans to defeat you.

aznpxdd

claviertekky said:
Yes reinstalled the game.

Malware/virus free.

People are pointing fingers at a potential memory leak causing the game to run unstable.

Damn. I'll probably have to wait until the next patch for this to be patched up.

I even get this problem playing against the computer, too!

When I was playing earlier, the game would skip hardcore, causing it to be unplayable.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Hazaro said:
Well you have forcefields and immortals so it is impossible for you to lose.:lol

Don't worry I am coming up with plans to defeat you.

Skippin' right over me eh? I'll show you what's for, Haz.

Calantus

This is weird, my rank got reset from mid silver to low bronze. And the opponents i'm playing are platinum level. Its so strange. Did they reset the ladder? I thought they were going to reset names and everything. i had no practice/placement matches

TurtleSnatcher said:
Hahaha

Thats hilarious.

Was that on your Alienware m11x? With Fraps going at the same time?

nah that was actually on a hp quad dv7t with an i7 and a 230m. The m11x can handle high at ~30fps though except in massive firefights so i could probably have done the same recording at 720p. Not 1080p though, thats too high for especially an ultra portable with a ULV.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Halycon said:
On one hand I want ghosts to have to research EMP but on the other, terran would lose their only early counter to Immortal spam.
marines?

Trasher said:
I pretty much lose every game when a Terran player reaper rushes me. It's so annoying as Protoss. Valenti was trying to tell me to go 9 gateway and get Stalkers out, but it still seems like, with a good Terran player, that the reapers already arrive before I can get that stalker out.
its pretty ridiculous to have to 9 gate just to stay alive. if the terran chooses to macro, you're screwed if you 9gate. all the power is in the terran players hand and the counter has to be setup before you'd have time to scout.

I used it against alumnus today, i told him i was going to do it, he 8 pyloned and my reaper still beat his stalker clean.
valenti said:
azuki is my brother dude, he's protoss.

I don't think you have realized the true potential of toss..
it doesn't matter that he plays toss, your brother is not representative of the entire platinum community.

Won

Pandaman said:

Sentries!

And yeah, it kinda gets annoying seeing replays with protoss scouting the whole damn map for that one rax. Still wonder how Blizzard is gonna fix the reaper issue once and for all.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Won said:
Sentries!

And yeah, it kinda gets annoying seeing replays with protoss scouting the whole damn map for that one rax. Still wonder how Blizzard is gonna fix the reaper issue once and for all.
obvious solution: remove them from the game, remove collosus wall walk and turrets ability to fire on collusus. the wallwalk in general is a bad mechanic when most maps have built in backdoors. [and one race doesnt even have a wallwalker]

fast expands are way too high risk imo. even 'safe' maps like lost temple have long ridges.

anyway, as it turns out 8 pylon doesn't work.

i just did a pair of ai games, one i crushed for stalkers with a simcity build off of an 8 pylon.
the other i did the reaper build.

in the reaper build i had a reaper in a bunker in the enemy base at 2:34.
fun fact, the combined build time of a pylon/gateway/cyborg is 25/50/65 or 2:20 seconds.

anyway i had a stalker at 2:54. probably could have shaved off those 4 seconds though. thats still half a minute [and required two chronos]

i say just make reaper jetpack (wall jump) tier 2 or whatever is high enough, or just an expensive early game upgrade.

What I would really think would make sense IMHO is basically bring back firebats, who doesnt love firebats? And give them the jetpack upgrade. They would move fast enough to be a solid alternative to hellions as the flamethrower unit. Aren't hellions light anyways?

I guess the problem would be that reapers if they kept the good building attack and then get hellion flamethrower ability that would either be way OP or just extremely hard to balance.

Not to mention its not like the marauder concussive shells really made them any less useful, it just fixed the zealot vs mard matchup

aznpxdd

Ugh, WTF? SC2 has become unplayable for me all the sudden. I started it up today and now the game skips like crazy. No changes to my hardware, software...WTF? Reinstalled the game and still the same.

Meeru

Banned
Pandaman said:
marines?

its pretty ridiculous to have to 9 gate just to stay alive. if the terran chooses to macro, you're screwed if you 9gate. all the power is in the terran players hand and the counter has to be setup before you'd have time to scout.

I used it against alumnus today, i told him i was going to do it, he 8 pyloned and my reaper still beat his stalker clean.

it doesn't matter that he plays toss, your brother is not representative of the entire platinum community.
The thing is, when someone like my brother can be rank 1 cuz of this one toss strategy, it needs to be nerfed. And mark my words, it will be nerfed.

clav

aznpxdd said:
Ugh, WTF? SC2 has become unplayable for me all the sudden. I started it up today and now the game skips like crazy. No changes to my hardware, software...WTF? Reinstalled the game and still the same.
I know! I've been mentioning about it for the past few pages! You can't micro at 10-15 fps.

Hope that the next patch addresses this memory leak issue.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
valenti said:
The thing is, when someone like my brother can be rank 1 cuz of this one toss strategy, it needs to be nerfed. And mark my words, it will be nerfed.
first of all, you need to get around the fact that your brothers success does not make or break the game.

second of all, what is this build that is so imbalanced that sentries need to be nerfed?

i have presented clear undeniable evidence that terran versus protoss is heavily imbalanced in terrans favour. now it's your turn.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Send 2 probes to harass the SCV building the rax? I dunno.

Cannon rush the Terran? No gas = no reapers.

Double gas steal? :lol

Paz

Protoss is strong right now and yes force field will be nerfed a little bit but if you think force field is the only issue in the game right now and it's making protoss better than the other races then you are ignoring the bigger picture.

How about spawn larvae? 9 proxy rax reaper? Marauder with stim? Muta harass? Banshee DPS/Range? Immortals vs Terran Mech? Thor drops/push against Zerg? Colossus with range upgrade against ANY zerg ground army?

Tons of stuff in this game right now is broken.

btw rank 1 platinum is a very vague thing since he could be rank 1 in a new division where that is 1050pts, and on top of that how do you know he is not a very good player who earned his rank?

I'm rank 1 platinum with nearly 2000pts and I can tell you there is nothing 'easy' about winning pvz and pvt.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Hazaro said:
Send 2 probes to harass the SCV building the rax? I dunno.

Cannon rush the Terran? No gas = no reapers.

Double gas steal? :lol
these are things that might work if your opponent tells you in advance that he's proxy reapering.

but if you do them and he doesn't proxy reaper, what then?

you pretty much need a maphack to make counters like this viable.

How about spawn larvae? Marauder with stim? Muta harass? Banshee DPS/Range? Immortals vs Terran Mech? Thor drops/push against Zerg? Colossus with range upgrade against ANY zerg ground army?
i highlighted the ones that are fine and im not familiar with thor drop versus zerg.

mcrae

Paz said:
Protoss is strong right now and yes force field will be nerfed a little bit but if you think force field is the only issue in the game right now and it's making protoss better than the other races then you are ignoring the bigger picture.

How about spawn larvae? 9 proxy rax reaper? Marauder with stim? Muta harass? Banshee DPS/Range? Immortals vs Terran Mech? Thor drops/push against Zerg? Colossus with range upgrade against ANY zerg ground army?

btw rank 1 platinum is a very vague thing since he could be rank 1 in a new division where that is 1050pts, and on top of that how do you know he is not a very good player who earned his rank?

I'm rank 1 platinum with nearly 2000pts and I can tell you there is nothing 'easy' about winning pvz and pvt.

collussus with range up against zerg army is imbalanced? isnt it just the zerg's fault for not seeing the collossus and getting speedlings/mutas/broodlords?

muta harass is broken? spawn larvae?

arent u being a little bit over pessimistic?

aznpxdd

claviertekky said:
I know! I've been mentioning about it for the past few pages! You can't micro at 10-15 fps.

Hope that the next patch addresses this memory leak issue.

-_- I was playing the game PERFECTLY fine a couple days ago. Now it is skipping hardcore, its not even low FPS either...its just skipping.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Ice Monkey said:
i say just make reaper jetpack (wall jump) tier 2 or whatever is high enough, or just an expensive early game upgrade.

What I would really think would make sense IMHO is basically bring back firebats, who doesnt love firebats? And give them the jetpack upgrade. They would move fast enough to be a solid alternative to hellions as the flamethrower unit. Aren't hellions light anyways?

I guess the problem would be that reapers if they kept the good building attack and then get hellion flamethrower ability that would either be way OP or just extremely hard to balance.

Not to mention its not like the marauder concussive shells really made them any less useful, it just fixed the zealot vs mard matchup
without the jetpack, reapers would be pointless though. they arent suited for mass combat against anything.

Meeru

Banned
Pandaman said:
first of all, you need to get around the fact that your brothers success does not make or break the game.

second of all, what is this build that is so imbalanced that sentries need to be nerfed?

i have presented clear undeniable evidence that terran versus protoss is heavily imbalanced in terrans favour. now it's your turn.
It's not just me who complains about the imbalance of protoss. Demulism, Jinro, all the top terran players are saying the same thing. And it's not sentries that need to be nerfed really. It's the warpgates.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
-COOLIO- said:
without the jetpack, reapers would be pointless though. they arent suited for mass combat against anything.
kill em all i say.

removing cliffwalk will also be a good protoss nerf too as colossus walking over force fields is a bit shady.

my inner zerg would rejoice.

valenti said:
It's not just me who complains about the imbalance of protoss. Demulism, Jinro, all the top terran players are saying the same thing. And it's not sentries that need to be nerfed really. It's the warpgates.
well, whats the build? i want to be rank 1 plat too.

Meeru

Banned
Paz said:

You listed nothing as to what makes toss so imbalanced.

Milabrega

valenti said:
You listed nothing as to what makes toss so imbalanced.

Why don't you then? Warp Gates is kind of broad for over a page of this baseless speculation based on the one anecdotal incident that your brother is rank 1 plat using this strat. Paz is also rank 1 plat, so looks like both of your arguments are holding even weight atm

Paz

Pandaman said:
these are things that might work if your opponent tells you in advance that he's proxy reapering.

but if you do them and he doesn't proxy reaper, what then?

you pretty much need a maphack to make counters like this viable.

i highlighted the ones that are fine and im not familiar with thor drop versus zerg.

The ones you highlighted are definitely not fine, though if you changed any of them you would imbalance the game so I agree if you are saying they should not be changed.

The problem seems to be that certain units or counters are simply too good meaning if your opponent doesn't have the perfect unit combination at the perfect time they have almost no chance to win, biggest example of that is the colossus vs Zerg ground army - NO combination of Zerg ground units can beat a Protoss army 2/3 of the zergs size if that protoss army includes colossus. That doesn't mean that zerg can't beat protoss though it just means they 100% must avoid this scenario by doing things like taking like prioritizing economy over army so they can take advantage of the 19 larvae cap to instantly rebuild a 150 pop army from just a few hatcheries, or switching to air units.

My point in the initial post was not to complain about imbalance it was to point out that complaining about only sentries just shows you know very little about the game, it's almost a marvel vs capcom 2 scenario where the imbalanced 'broken' aspects are actually creating balance and if you start 'fixing' stuff (like force field) then you will end up with a very badly broken game.

With all that said I definitely think force field needs a tweak because right now it is a massive crutch for protoss to remain competitive in the early-mid game, without force field you are currently 100% unable to hold a 1 base roach push or a marauder rush or a multi gate zealot push in pvp (unless you yourself go ~3 gate zealots). And without force field you would never be able to pull off a timing push against the zerg fast expansion.

Paz

TurtleSnatcher said:
Rank 1 platinum 2000 pts.. holds alot more value then Rank 1 1400-1500 pts wherever Azuki is.. :\ (Isn't he like Division 50?) :|

Lets not turn this into a pissing contest between me and someone else, there are plenty of people higher than me too.

I just wanted to point out that rank 1 plat doesn't mean much in terms of gauging balance..

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Paz said:
The ones you highlighted are definitely not fine, though if you changed any of them you would imbalance the game so I agree if you are saying they should not be changed.
whats wrong with them, whats wrong with immortals hardcountering mech? fighting armour is the sole purpose of the immortal, its supposed to run a train on mech. that isnt imbalanced, it was designed that way. while i dont particularily like the bonus damage system, you cant fix immortals by removing the bonus damage. you'll either get a very buff tank[remove bonus damage and buff normal damage] or you'll get something thats useless. [remove bonus with no general buff]

Since you probably dont want to write an essay to answer each and ever balance issue, can you explain what you think is wrong with spawn larvea and muta harass?

The problem seems to be that certain units or counters are simply too good meaning if your opponent doesn't have the perfect unit combination at the perfect time they have almost no chance to win, biggest example of that is the colossus vs Zerg ground army - NO combination of Zerg ground units can beat a Protoss army 2/3 of the zergs size if that protoss army includes colossus. That doesn't mean that zerg can't beat protoss though it just means they 100% must avoid this scenario by doing things like taking like prioritizing economy over army so they can take advantage of the 19 larvae cap to instantly rebuild a 150 pop army from just a few hatcheries, or switching to air units.
i dont really see this as a problem tbh.

My point in the initial post was not to complain about imbalance it was to point out that complaining about only sentries just shows you know very little about the game, it's almost a marvel vs capcom 2 scenario where the imbalanced 'broken' aspects are actually creating balance and if you start 'fixing' stuff (like force field) then you will end up with a very badly broken game.

With all that said I definitely think force field needs a tweak because right now it is a massive crutch for protoss to remain competitive in the early-mid game, without force field you are currently 100% unable to hold a 1 base roach push or a marauder rush or a multi gate zealot push in pvp (unless you yourself go ~3 gate zealots). And without force field you would never be able to pull off a timing push against the zerg fast expansion.
cool? thats basically what i've been arguing.

Meeru

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:
Rank 1 platinum 2000 pts.. holds alot more value then Rank 1 1400-1500 pts wherever Azuki is.. :\ (Isn't he like Division 50?) :|
Division doesn't mean anything. When is SSF4 coming out?

yanhero

Paz said:

Isn't that called fun?

Trasher

-COOLIO- said:
hey trasher, wanna play round 6 of losers now?
We each have been eliminated twice. We don't play anymore haha. That "T" in the bracket you are looking at stands for "Terran" because that's your race. I think that's what has you confused. :p

Meeru

Banned
Trasher said:
Alright then, so what is Azuki's strategy with Protoss that makes them so broken?
Why bother? Everyone thinks it doesn't matter since azuki is only a small part of the SC2 community.

Trasher

valenti said:
Why bother? Everyone thinks it doesn't matter since azuki is only a small part of the SC2 community.
I think everyone is curious as to how one single strategy with Protoss is apparently unbeatable and broken. People are saying that because they are skeptical.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Trasher said:
We each have been eliminated twice. We don't play anymore haha. That "T" in the bracket you are looking at stands for "Terran" because that's your race. I think that's what has you confused. :p
didnt you beat val? im still in losers

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
SO.

STALKERS ARE PRETTY AWESOME HUH.

BLINK INTO TERRAN TURTLING UP IN ISLANDS.

YEAH IT'S PRETTY SEX.

Top Bottom