• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Paz said:
And yes the graphical revamp of terran mech is shocking as it ruined the second most iconic Starcraft unit: The siege tank
I am not alone :D

Tanks do not raise up! They sink massive claws into the ground! :lol

Apath

Quick question: Are you guys pre-ordering CE of this? I was just on the fence with Gamestop.com and getting the pre-order down to $76.50, but I'm still not sure because of tax, "handling" fee, and not trusting Gamestop to ship for release.

fatty

Kenak said:
Quick question: Are you guys pre-ordering CE of this? I was just on the fence with Gamestop.com and getting the pre-order down to $76.50, but I'm still not sure because of tax, "handling" fee, and not trusting Gamestop to ship for release.

Yeah, because of the price I jumped on Gamestop's offer. I'm still going to buy it from B&M (just in case I don't see the shipping confirmation at release) and keep it sealed just in case Gamestop for whatever reason doesn't come through and I'll just return the B&M copy when I receive the Gamestop order. I figured I can wait 10+ years for the sequel, I can wait an extra couple of days for Gamestop to ship the CE to me.

Kenak said:
yes i did. just for the WOW item to sell on ebay.

nilbog21

Banned
fanboi said:
If we are bitching about sound, bring back SC1s Hydra attack sound! :lol

Most awesome sound ever!

i kno u can actually do this. someone made a mod on TL that works well (you just replace the sound files i believe). compared to SC1, the SC2 voices are pretty dull/bland/unmemorable ;[

clav

nilbog21 said:
i kno u can actually do this. someone made a mod on TL that works well (you just replace the sound files i believe). compared to SC1, the SC2 voices are pretty dull/bland/unmemorable ;[
That annoying Zerg queen:

WEE WEQUIRE MO MI-NI-RALSSSS

Immortal: "I've returned to serve." *cringe*

Siege Tank sounds like a SC1 tank wannabe, but ugh, he sounds like a wimp.

The Protoss sound too human now. The humans are just voices with radio crackle. Zerg just sounds all squirmish and meek.

All the roaches sound too cute when they die.

Apath

It took SC1 sounds years to become memorable. You guys are really trying to compare it to SC2 -- a game which has only been available for a couple months -- while it's still in beta?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
well, im testing settings for recording replays now that i've finally resolved a weird flicker issue.

this was my first 'successful' try:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEw51YPACIM

naturally ill try to get sharper video, but in theory everything is working now
i've got it recording video, windows sound and external audio so if alu still is interested in commentary it should work out.

i think i'll keep the cursor up next time as it was alittle jarring in the video. also i did it with my trackpad so the camera is alittle all over the place. :lol

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Pandaman said:
well, im testing settings for recording replays now that i've finally resolved a weird flicker issue.

this was my first 'successful' try:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEw51YPACIM

naturally ill try to get sharper video, but in theory everything is working now
i've got it recording video, windows sound and external audio so if alu still is interested in commentary it should work out.

i think i'll keep the cursor up next time as it was alittle jarring in the video. also i did it with my trackpad so the camera is alittle all over the place. :lol

NOTICE This video contains an audio track that has not been authorized by WMG. The audio has been disabled. More about copyright

lol

None of the SC2 videos I recorded do that, did you add some song over it?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Corran Horn said:
NOTICE This video contains an audio track that has not been authorized by WMG. The audio has been disabled. More about copyright

lol

None of the SC2 videos I recorded do that, did you add some song over it?
i left winamp on. :lol

actually, what program do you use? i have access to fraps and camtasia but both seem to have their own problems. camtasia gets a great picture, but flickers and fraps is stable but very pixelated. [i was recording to halfsize tho, maybe thats it?]

Corran Horn

Pandaman said:
i left winamp on. :lol

actually, what program do you use? i have access to fraps and camtasia but both seem to have their own problems. camtasia gets a great picture, but flickers and fraps is stable but very pixelated. [i was recording to halfsize tho, maybe thats it?]
I use fraps, record full size with set limit to 29.7FPS (or whatever that .x is). Then use Aiseesoft MTS Converter to compress it and keep 1080p
Here is example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p6k5YbzR5A

Only issue I get with fraps now is my HDD speed and at times it drops to 10-15 FPS for a few seconds. But normally its max speed

Corran Horn

Pandaman said:
huh, i used 29.7 too, but i compressed it with virtuadub.
what codec do you use?

your video quality is very good.
Currently I use this settings on my compression software
Setting: HD H.264 / MPEG-4 AVC Video (.mp4)
Encoder: H.264 Resolution: 1080p Bitrate: 10000 Frame rate: 29.97 fps
AAC audio Bitrate: 128 kbps

Might switch around to see what works best with a video editing software though if I ever want to add commentary, not sure if I will :lol

KnightM7

Banned
So I got a minor issue. Framerate counter seems to be blinking between 60-70fps so I assume its maxed out.. but I still get a lag between the mouse pointer and the green selection box. Which I dont get if I lower the resolution(but it still indicates the same framerate)

Is this a common issue?

claviertekky said:

The Protoss sound too human now. The humans are just voices with radio crackle. Zerg just sounds all squirmish and meek.

I think your just not used to them and your stuck with sc1 sounds in your head. You really think Blizzard would not try to get the best VA and sounds they can get?

Won

F#A#Oo said:
I think you mean you hate forcefields...

I hate everything about them!

Kinda wonder how hard they gonna get hit by the nerf bat. They evaded it for so long, when it hits it will be painful.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Won said:
I hate everything about them!

Kinda wonder how hard they gonna get hit by the nerf bat. They evaded it for so long, when it hits it will be painful.
im glad you have nothing to do with balancing. the sentry is the only positive the protoss has.

Pachinko

so in reviewing my many losses I've figured out why I'm so terrible at this game- my APM is like 12.

The highest it ever goes is 30.

Other reasons why I'm so bad include a lack of multitasking ability and a clear cut strategy.

I've kind of figured out how to econ, I've sort of got an early game strategy down but even hotkeying structures and remembering to build an expansion base still leads to problems for me- I forget to build an actual army or I do and fail to use it to do anything and my worst mistake- I sit on minerals and gas because I haven't built enough supply depots and I end up being to slow to catch on.

It's really begining to look like I'll never get good at this game. Almost like my brain just can't comprehend doing anything but treating an RTS like a simcity game- I just build stuff and stare at it.

Raide

claviertekky said:

"In the rear, with the gear."

Sykra

Team EG vs Team Liquid clan war is going on now. Currently 1-1, still 3 match-ups to go.
Drone vs Louder
Drone < Lost Temple > Louder
Drone < Blistering Sands > Louder
Drone < Kulas Ravine > Louder

TLO vs Incontrol
TLO < Lost Temple > Incontrol
TLO < Blistering Sands > Incontrol
TLO < Kulas Ravine > Incontrol
Nazgul vs Machine
Nazgul < Lost Temple > Machine
Nazgul < Blistering Sands > Machine
Nazgul < Kulas Ravine > Machine

Jinro vs Inka
Jinro < Lost Temple > Inka
Jinro < Blistering Sands > Inka
Jinro < Kulas Ravine > Inka

Nony vs Lzgamer
Nony < Lost Temple > Lzgamer
Nony < Blistering Sands > Lzgamer
Nony < Kulas Ravine > Lzgamer

http://www.glhf.tv/ ( Link to the stream, few mins break atm )

Corran Horn

Pachinko said:
so in reviewing my many losses I've figured out why I'm so terrible at this game- my APM is like 12.

The highest it ever goes is 30.

Other reasons why I'm so bad include a lack of multitasking ability and a clear cut strategy.

I've kind of figured out how to econ, I've sort of got an early game strategy down but even hotkeying structures and remembering to build an expansion base still leads to problems for me- I forget to build an actual army or I do and fail to use it to do anything and my worst mistake- I sit on minerals and gas because I haven't built enough supply depots and I end up being to slow to catch on.

It's really begining to look like I'll never get good at this game. Almost like my brain just can't comprehend doing anything but treating an RTS like a simcity game- I just build stuff and stare at it.
You will get better over time. And if it still is the case that you are having troubles. Map creator people will make some fun games for the non-RTS heavy style :D

Pick one race and a build and work off that. Watch videos on youtube of people playing to see how/where to place buildings. What I do to help alot.

lol panda i dont want to sound like im trying to advertise myself but check out my mass amount of 1080p sc2 youtube videos at http://www.youtube.com/eggsnbaconbreakfast

I think I did a pretty good job, lemme know what you think either good/bad and i can tell you how I did them.

I used a laptop by the way.

on that note, I still plan on recording a lot of the 1v1 tourney games and uploading to youtube but im not looking forward to the time investment of trying to follow the action of all the videos. Any suggestions for the best way to make it go smoothly are welcome.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
valenti said:
You have to realize my brother azuki is rank 1 plat protoss? Protoss is gonna get nerfed dude.
Are you joking? :lol this is absurd.

you do realize that there is more than one platinum division right? and by extension, dozens and dozens and dozens of people who are also ranked #1? thereby making your personal association to one of them who happens to play toss completely inconsequential?

even if azuki was the highest ranked player in the beta [that person plays terran btw], it would be a meaningless argument.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'll take a forcefield nerf if sentries start with hallucination.

Pandaman said:

you do realize that there is more than one platinum division right? and by extension, dozens and dozens and dozens of people who are also ranked #1? thereby making your personal association to one of them who happens to play toss completely inconsequential?

well you know, I'm rank 43 or something plat 1v1 so I'm the 43rd best player of sc2 of all time o_O

beta tourneys here i come! :lol

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Halycon said:
I'll take a forcefield nerf if sentries start with hallucination.
only if forcefield has the same research time and reaper/ghost gets nerfed. >_>

actually nerf reapers anyway. <-- there is no way to reliably stop that without maphacking. you have to guess if they do it or not. if you guess not and go standard 1 gate cyborg into fast stalker, you'll lose. if you guess yes and crush out a 6 pylon you'll be too far behind to survive the first timing push if they dont do it.

you cant even simcity fast forge it because of the damn D3 charges.

its a coin flip entirely in the hands of the terran and thats imba as all hell. zerg can stop it with a queen and creeplings. terran have the same tools, protoss cant do shit.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Pandaman said:
im glad you have nothing to do with balancing. the sentry is the only positive the protoss has.
there should never be one ace in the hole. i dont play protoss, but if this is true, the sentry should be nerfed and everything else should be buffed

Currently Protoss is in a bad spot. They have a few abilities (stalker blink, sentry forcefield) that are incredibly powerful and allow good players to take over games, but they powerful mobile units which makes them very map dependent.

Take a look at Desert Oasis as an example. Zerg have zerglings to take advantage of the long distances between the mineral lines and mutalisks take advantage of how the large number of cliffs impedes movement for ground based units. Terran have reapers and banshees that both take advantage of the cliffs. All of these units are either fairly easy to get out (banshees and mutas) or incredibly easy to get (reapers and speedlings). Protoss have colossi (takes a long time to get and is a relatively slow unit) and stalkers (needs an upgrade) to fulfill the same role and they just don't work as well at all.

That's just harassing too. Zerg can gain large speed advantages with a creep highway and speed upgrades for roaches and terran have stimpacks and the slow ability. Protoss have forcefields, which allow them to gain powerful local advantages but protoss will still lose in the map control game.

Basically, toss are more powerful in single engagements (not all the time even, they just have certain advantages) because they have to be with the way their army is designed.

Trasher

Pandaman said:

actually nerf reapers anyway. <-- there is no way to reliably stop that without maphacking. you have to guess if they do it or not. if you guess not and go standard 1 gate cyborg into fast stalker, you'll lose. if you guess yes and crush out a 6 pylon you'll be too far behind to survive the first timing push if they dont do it.

you cant even simcity fast forge it because of the damn D3 charges.

its a coin flip entirely in the hands of the terran and thats imba as all hell. zerg can stop it with a queen and creeplings. terran have the same tools, protoss cant do shit.
I pretty much lose every game when a Terran player reaper rushes me. It's so annoying as Protoss. Valenti was trying to tell me to go 9 gateway and get Stalkers out, but it still seems like, with a good Terran player, that the reapers already arrive before I can get that stalker out.

Haly

Pandaman said:
On one hand I want ghosts to have to research EMP but on the other, terran would lose their only early counter to Immortal spam.

Haly

NovemberMike said:
Take a look at Desert Oasis as an example. Zerg have zerglings to take advantage of the long distances between the mineral lines and mutalisks take advantage of how the large number of cliffs impedes movement for ground based units. Terran have reapers and banshees that both take advantage of the cliffs. All of these units are either fairly easy to get out (banshees and mutas) or incredibly easy to get (reapers and speedlings). Protoss have colossi (takes a long time to get and is a relatively slow unit) and stalkers (needs an upgrade) to fulfill the same role and they just don't work as well at all.
Agree with this really. Sometimes I fee like Stalkers with blink are toss' of Vikings and Mutas.

And you need an observer trailing them just to get around.

Meeru

Banned
Pandaman said:

even if azuki was the highest ranked player in the beta [that person plays terran btw], it would be a meaningless argument.
azuki is my brother dude, he's protoss.

I don't think you have realized the true potential of toss..

Won

Yeah, but is Azuki the worst player ever, who is plat #1 because of Protoss or what exactly is your argument here?

Milabrega

That blink use on Kulas in the Noni vs LzGamer match is amazing. Definitely do not want to play Haly on that map until its patched/if its patched.

Top Bottom