• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Halycon said:
SO.

STALKERS ARE PRETTY AWESOME HUH.

BLINK INTO TERRAN TURTLING UP IN ISLANDS.

YEAH IT'S PRETTY SEX.
mdance.gif

I love me some blink

Vague

Hell yeah, #1 Gold playing as only random. :D
Just last week my goal in life was just getting #1 Silver.
Now I am dreaming about being in Platinum with all the people way better than I'll ever be. :(

There hasn't been anything I've thought was too imbalanced since I started playing with any race. A lot of annoying shit like Banshees and Reapers but they're easy to stop if you just plan for them every time you fight Terran. I really dislike fighting Protoss as Terran though. Protoss vs Terran is awesome though, Colossus out by the time they get 1 Tank or 1 Thor depending on how they build is awesome. Zerg is my favorite but it's kinda boring to play, especially against other Zerg.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm pretty sure that.

You can blink up to ANY rock on a ramp. I just tested it out on blistering sands against this zerg guy who teched.

This is mind blowing, my mind is blown.

I'm going to try this on the flat rocks on scrap station next time to see if it works.

Vague

RE: All the Reaper talk.

I play as only Random, started low Silver and up through my current rank I only lost to Reapers and Banshees the first few times it's happened to me and never since. It's easy to counter as every race without doing some crazy build to sacrifice economy. If he gets one super fast by not building SCVs or something it does more damage to his economy even if he kills like 5 probes.

It's hardest to stop as Terran but still if he kills off 5 scvs and 2 of your early marines he's still behind. Someone sending Reapers to a zerg base is just laughable. My first 100 gas goes towards Zergling speed every time which you get before he has 4 Reapers and the Queen from a 13 pool easily defends from one.

aznpxdd

Vague said:

I play as only Random, started low Silver and up through my current rank I only lost to Reapers and Banshees the first few times it's happened to me and never since. It's easy to counter as every race without doing some crazy build to sacrifice economy. If he gets one super fast by not building SCVs or something it does more damage to his economy even if he kills like 5 probes.

It's hardest to stop as Terran but still if he kills off 5 scvs and 2 of your early marines he's still behind. Someone sending Reapers to a zerg base is just laughable. My first 100 gas goes towards Zergling speed every time which you get before he has 4 Reapers and the Queen from a 13 pool easily defends from one.

I don't think you know the kind of reaper rush we are talking about.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Vague said:

On the small maps vs a good player the argument is made that a forward early rax well have free reign with a reaper for enough time to mess you up.

-orb- on TL is fighting the good fight for that.

The counters for it are very harsh economically and not feasible in most games since you won't know if it is coming.

We are talking 1st reaper in your base before your stalker is finished every time.

Paz

Sorry guys I'm really not interested in arguing about stuff that we tend to all agree on (to some extent).

I was really just trying to say that yes one of you is right that force field is overpowered and helping protoss players a TON right now, but if you look at it in the greater context of the whole game then there are like 20 things you could consider to be 'overpowered' and if you are going to complain about imbalance then don't just stop at force field.

Clearly force field isn't making it so 80% of all top players are protoss, it's just one of the things that helps make the race powerful... Like how terran can build a rax at 9 food without affecting their mid game significantly because they have mules, sure it's really strong but if you 'fix' it then you are probably breaking the big picture.

The fact that someone you know can get rank 1 platinum and you don't feel they deserve it is just not evidence of something breaking the game, get back to me when the top 8 from every tournament is protoss (top 4 of the last big korean SC2 beta tournament were Zerg, fyi).

Edit - I would be very surprised if they nerfed force field without nerfing something about the other races or buffing something else about Protoss.

Meeru

Banned
Paz said:
Sorry guys I'm really not interested in arguing about stuff that we tend to all agree on (to some extent).

I was really just trying to say that yes one of you is right that force field is overpowered and helping protoss players a TON right now, but if you look at it in the greater context of the whole game then there are like 20 things you could consider to be 'overpowered' and if you are going to complain about imbalance then don't just stop at force field.

Clearly force field isn't making it so 80% of all top players are protoss, it's just one of the things that helps make the race powerful... Like how terran can build a rax at 9 food without affecting their mid game significantly because they have mules, sure it's really strong but if you 'fix' it then you are probably breaking the big picture.

The fact that someone you know can get rank 1 platinum and you don't feel they deserve it is just not evidence of something breaking the game, get back to me when the top 8 from every tournament is protoss (top 4 of the last big korean SC2 beta tournament were Zerg, fyi).

Edit - I would be very surprised if they nerfed force field without nerfing something about the other races or buffing something else about Protoss.
paz what's your character and id? You need to play with us.

Yeah, a lot of the complaints about forcefield fail to realize that each other race has their own stuff to rain down on toss.

Terran has emp. That's all that really needs to be said. One building after their barracks they can get a 100 damage AOE attack. They also have marauders which deal + armor damage (which hits pretty much everything in the toss army that is worth anything) and are already powerful.

Zerg has units that just outspeed toss. Roaches move faster than toss with upgrades, speedlings move at least 1.5x as fast as anything in the toss army, mutas can cause serious problems etc. Zerg can also build 20 pop at a time from a single building.

Each of the races have things that are overpowered. Starcraft has always been about being able to do cool things and feeling empowered and the current build fits that nicely while still maintaining a good level of balance.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
sweet, broken 10k posts while i was away for the weekend.

also, in regards to blink, i believe as long as you have sight of the spot you want to blink to and it's in range, you can blink to it.

Vague

Hazaro said:
On the small maps vs a good player the argument is made that a forward early rax well have free reign with a reaper for enough time to mess you up.

-orb- on TL is fighting the good fight for that.

The counters for it are very harsh economically and not feasible in most games since you won't know if it is coming.

We are talking 1st reaper in your base before your stalker is finished every time.

I'm saying it doesn't matter if it gets in your base before the stalker is finished (he will). I've had people do it to me plenty of times and haven't lost to it in a long time.

Also, -orb- is like IdRA who just complains about everything so who cares what he's fighting for.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Milabrega said:
I'd still like to know the Azuki protoss build that has now tied up 3 pages of this thread with balance discussion.
be642o.jpg

the impression i get is that he's salty that warpgates make macro easier. [micro, then get units instantly vs. macro, micro, get units]

Won

No ladder reset in my EU.....

Edit: Well, now my 1vs1 ranking is gone, but only the 1vs1 ranking. Looks like the EU server can't handle sundays!

Hope Blizzard releases the patch to fix that tomorrow.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Warp gates makes macro harder cause you can't queue up units and rally to base :(

zoukka

Yeah I took about a week break from SC and got my ass handed to me just now. I got out-expoed by a protoss... and the tides have turned. I now have little trouble with Terran, but Toss and those millions of sentries are amazingly tough.

Won

Decided to use that little reset to finally try a bit more Zerg and I still can't handle them. Such insane unit production and insane income I just can't keep up with the macro. :lol

fanboi

Banned
Since EU reset...

CidHighwind89 --- Battosai.blood ???
desolar --- desolar.darudin
F#A#Oo --- Lonluenza.loluenza
fanboi --- fanboi.gaf
Jtones --- Digital.bath ???
msv --- msv.snikkel
Ozorov --- Ozorov.gaf
PNstyle --- pnSTYLE.dima
poserdonut --- poserdonut.milkdud
Syoaran --- Syoaran.syo
Won --- Won.tollo
Zoukka --- zoukka.fin

clav

Won said:
Decided to use that little reset to finally try a bit more Zerg and I still can't handle them. Such insane unit production and insane income I just can't keep up with the macro. :lol
For minerals:
1. You're not using the queen spawn lavae feature enough.
2. Time to expand. Spawn a queen at each expansion.
3. More overlords.
4. More drones.
5. If you feel you have enough drones, not much gas, but have mins, build zerglings.
6. Build more extractors.

For gas:
1. Upgrades. (i.e. fast zerglings are great for harassing expansions).
2. Air units.
3. Endgame units.

Other notes:
1. Safe time to attack is a 10overpool. Send six zerglings to a person's base and go straight for scouting and econ. You may catch your opponent if he's zerg teching directly to mutalisks that he only has a queen and drones. The queen is absolutely weak against 6 zerglings surrounding it. For protoss, harass the single pylon powered gateway and never engage the zealot directly unless he only has one. Go straight for the econ and micro out when the probes start attacking. Continue to attack the pylon. As for Terran, you can sometimes catch them teching to marauders without building marines. You can usually break a supply depot choke if there are no scvs repairing. Use them to destroy some miners as that is the most damage you can do unless you keep sending the pain.

You have a few options to go to if you do a 10overpool:

1. Fast expansion if you didn't build a queen after six zerglings.
2. If you did build a queen, transition to roaches or tech to lair. Keep harassing.

2. Everything is for the hive. You should get to a point that it doesn't matter if you lose your army since you can quickly rebuild if no one has harassed you with your main and expansions.
3. The most deadly zerg army is a mix of units, not just massing one kind.
4. Zerg doesn't have anti-air units until lair (tier 2).
5. If you feel you will be harassed by air units soon (from scouting), and you're not ready for tier 2, build spore colonies (requires evolution chamber) to SOFTEN (does not prevent fully) the damage. You'll either need to build your own air or hydras soon.
6. Until end game units appear, you are forcing your opponent to build tier 1 units if zerglings are in play.

msv

Huh, I just got my friendslist back... Thought those were gonna be reset as well? I don't think the actual reset has happened yet.

edit: Heh, my stats cleared themselves again. But same as last time, my 2v2 placement (this time with nk) remained. Via that link I can visit my old profile. So now there's 3 profiles in total.

Won

msv said:
Huh, I just got my friendslist back... Thought those were gonna be reset as well? I don't think the actual reset has happened yet.

edit: Heh, my stats cleared themselves again. But same as last time, my 2v2 placement (this time with nk) remained. Via that link I can visit my old profile. So now there's 3 profiles in total.

EU b.net is just fucked up currently. Blizzard already said they are going to fix this with the next patch, but it's really annoying. Slow reaction time and all that.....

My stats got reset again. I even was 3-0 in my Zerg placements.... :(

Calantus

still playing high level players while in bronze, although i have played some bronze guys and destroyed them. I barely lose any points to the high level players so it's not that big of a deal, i just got 38 points for defeating someone else in bronze.

I just want to be put back into silver :(, i had some good competition there. The reset can't come soon enough.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Calantus said:
still playing high level players while in bronze, although i have played some bronze guys and destroyed them. I barely lose any points to the high level players so it's not that big of a deal, i just got 38 points for defeating someone else in bronze.

I just want to be put back into silver :(, i had some good competition there. The reset can't come soon enough.
ditto here. I got put into bronze and I just completely destroy anyone I play usually with an early zealot rush. Once in awhile Ill play someone good. But in silver matches tended to be better :/

Top Bottom