• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
valenti said:
I'm supposed to be there D:

Oh, you BEAT trasher? For god's sake be more descriptive in your summary. The only name I saw was trasher so I assumed he won. =P

Not to mention you posted the wrong replays.

Any reason why Clotworthy reprises his voice acting role as Jim Raynor but the original voice actress doesnt get to reprise her role as Kerrigan even though she wants, as do fans, and she got praise for her VA in the original games?

Trasher

ZealousD said:
Oh, you BEAT trasher? For god's sake be more descriptive in your summary. The only name I saw was trasher so I assumed he won. =P

Not to mention you posted the wrong replays.
lol yeah, "2-0 ggs Trasher" does make it seem like I won. :lol

Milabrega said:
I'd still like to know the Azuki protoss build that has now tied up 3 pages of this thread with balance discussion.
Being an avid Protoss player I would like to know the same thing!

Scrow, I didn't notice you at first with your Arnold avatar. :lol

momolicious said:
Any reason why Clotworthy reprises his voice acting role as Jim Raynor but the original voice actress doesnt get to reprise her role as Kerrigan even though she wants, as do fans, and she got praise for her VA in the original games?

Probably a $$$ issue

Milabrega

Tricia Helfer is a marketable name and face for the game. I imagine Starcraft and BSG has a lot of over lap. Could play Kerrigan as well if they were to ever do a film or television adaption. Kind of like ODST, they can have her at events and talk shows promoting the game.

Milabrega said:
Tricia Helfer is a marketable name and face for the game. I imagine Starcraft and BSG has a lot of over lap. Could play Kerrigan as well if they were to ever do a film or television adaption. Kind of like ODST, they can have her at events and talk shows promoting the game.

I think Blizzard has said that they thought the new VA sounded more like the character that kerrigan has become. I'll withhold judgement until I hear her in the campaign.

I do miss the Overmind (?) voice for the zerg "narrator", but I'm sure the SC2 voices will grow on me as well.

IceMarker

I admit I will miss Jim Raynor's old voice actor, but the new one from what I've heard in videos seems to be doing a fine job, he just needs to lighten up the southern accent just a bit.

MrMister said:
I admit I will miss Jim Raynor's old voice actor, but the new one from what I've heard in videos seems to be doing a fine job, he just needs to lighten up the southern accent just a bit.

uh, clotworthy is reprising his role again now.

Gribbix

MrMister said:
He is? FUCK YEAH! :lol

Source?
He was at the voice actor panel during BlizzCon with the rest of the VA cast. The confusion comes from the fact that some early videos had Glynnis Talken (the original Kerrigan) and a different voice actor for Raynor. The odd part is that Blizzard then brought back Robert Clotworthy (the original Raynor) but replaced Glynnis Talken with Tricia Helfer even though Talken had already recorded some original dialog for SC2. I agree with Milabrega in that the change was probably done for marketing reasons.

ZealousD

momolicious said:

We've never been given the official explanation, but we know that she was originally tapped to reprise her role. There's two versions of the Zeratul cinematic out in the open, one with Glynnis Talken Campbell (the original actress) and one with Tricia Helfer.

Glynnis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGi6T-NBFuc#t=1m44s
Tricia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRa8MDeq9H8#t=1m46s

The original VA for Mengsk is reprising his role, too.

ZealousD

FromTheFuture said:
FUCKING FUCK FUCFULKFUCLFUCLFIUCFUOCLF GOD MOTHER FUCKING REAPERS WHAT THE FUCK BLIZZARD

EVERY
MOTHER
FUCKING
GAME
PIECE
OF
SHIT

Honestly, they need to be moved up a tier. They've always had problem with them being overpowered in the early game but they're currently worthless in the mid-late game. Move them up a tier, cut their training time, and maybe increase their damage against buildings to compensate for moving up a tier. I think they'd then be a nice compliment to a tech build.

ZealousD said:
Honestly, they need to be moved up a tier. They've always had problem with them being overpowered in the early game but they're currently worthless in the mid-late game. Move them up a tier, cut their training time, and maybe increase their damage against buildings to compensate for moving up a tier. I think they'd then be a nice compliment to a tech build.
It's not even that. I can deal with the reapers, but when the other asshole goes with that instant proxy Barracks Reaper shit, it's god damn impossible to beat. I'm on losing streaks cause of this bullshit. And to rub it in, the players doing this imbalanced ass strat think they're the greatest players on the fucking planet!

ZealousD

FromTheFuture said:
It's not even that. I can deal with the reapers, but when the other asshole goes with that instant proxy Barracks Reaper shit, it's god damn impossible to beat. I'm on losing streaks cause of this bullshit. And to rub it in, the players doing this imbalanced ass strat think they're the greatest players on the planet!

Right, that's what I'm talking about. In the first couple of patches, reaper rushes with more standard builds were incredibly common. And it raped. So they increased the build times to ridiculous levels. Now the proxy reaper is common, so people are killed with a single reaper.

And yet the things pop in like two seconds to any unit that's not a light Tier 1 unit. So they're useless Tier 2 and on.

I think what they need to do is make the engineering bay a tech requirement for the unit, maybe merge their speed upgrade with the jump pack ability, and then put their build time back to a reasonable time frame. Then maybe buff them in some other capacity. This would nearly eliminate them from the early game while still keeping them relevant.

IceMarker

ZealousD said:
We've never been given the official explanation, but we know that she was originally tapped to reprise her role. There's two versions of the Zeratul cinematic out in the open, one with Glynnis Talken Campbell (the original actress) and one with Tricia Helfer.

For some reason I actually like Tricia more in the cinematic, like Blizzard said it sounds more like who she has become.

LaneDS

ZealousD said:

Aw boo, I didn't know about the change. Definitely prefer the original VA, mostly just because that's what I'm familiar with and expect. Also didn't know about Raynor's VA changing back, so that makes up for it somewhat I guess.

"This is Jimmy." - one of many quotes embedded into my brain.

Watching that was the first time in a long while I got excited for the single player campaign, something I had sort of forgot about during this beta.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zzoram said:
Any tips for ZvT? I've lost every single ZvT I've played in the last week.
UL some reps. Your early game was good from what I saw in your matches. Maybe try to drone a bit more.

ZealousD said:

I think an engineering bay requirement would be great. You can still get them early ish, but it's no longer reapers before the opponent can do anything at all.

Baneling cheese them.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Zzoram said:

Early Cheese...I haven't lost ZvT in a couple of weeks now...

But I'm bronze league. I struggle with ZvZ and have never won ZvP EVER. :( I'm seeing alot of proxy photon...or fast tech'ing to Carriers always does me in. My opponents seem to put down so many photon around their bases effectively allowing them to turtle till Carriers.

Oh and Forcefield spam...if I have no hydra's I'm screwed...if I try and bait run I still lose units...one of the reasons why Zerg needs more one more ranged unit...

fanboi

Banned
FE doesn't work for me anymore...

Played two matches (as Z against P both games) and tried a FE (after pool) and got destroyed by a stalker/immortal/sentry army...

Also, what is an effective counter against that type of unit constelation?

Banelings and lings have to be the shit? with some roaches?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
what happens if a forcefield is cast over a group of burrowed units?

@fanboi: i'd suggest zergling hydra to avoid taking maximum damage from the immortals and stalkers.

i've been doing ling/hydra as my standard zerg play and it seems okayish.
cant say i've had buckets of success though.

Yeah, zergling hydra should be that composition. Hydra with range can pretty much ignore forcefields and speedlings can move in quickly and are great against pretty much everything in that group.

fanboi

Banned
Pandaman said:
what happens if a forcefield is cast over a group of burrowed units?

@fanboi: i'd suggest zergling hydra to avoid taking maximum damage from the immortals and stalkers.

i've been doing ling/hydra as my standard zerg play and it seems okayish.
cant say i've had buckets of success though.

Yeah, but I can mass alot more roaches take take some of the dmg since I have alot of lings, but will try that.

My standard is actually using all type of units... and while I mass units I harass and keep opponent on toes with muttas (also banelings is a must if you mass units since they will make a difference since often the opponent will focus on your army and miss the banes).

mcrae

i pretty much only play 2v2 random nowadays, but i find 6pool works very well. my standard zerg play is early ling harrass, ive been trying with and without speed and sometimes if you get speed, you can finish them with lings. but that usually doesnt happen.

after that i quick tech to mutas. build an extractor and a pool at 13, build a lair as soon as pool is done, then a queen when lair is done. build a spire as soon as lair is done and you should ahve 400, if not 500 gas when spire is done, from just 1 extractor. usually by then you'll have 2, if not 3.

all the while keeping up pressure with zlings. if they are building units to counter you, sometimes a queen before lair is worthwhile i find. once you get the mutas out you will be behind in army count and econ, but usually muta harrass can either end it immediately, or if not, you can damage their econ enough to prevent them gaining their natural, while by this time you have 4 extractors and 20+ drones, and are almost ready for broodlords. my end-game army usually consists of 4-5 broodlords, 5-6 corrupters, and 6-7 mutas, with 30-40 zlings and MAYBE a couple roaches guarding my natural.

its fun when they first see mutas, they either build the terran/protoss air to air unit, or zerg builds hydras... so you either build corrupters, or roaches... it works out pretty well.

Oh dear.

I just installed this yesterday...

TBH the limited view and the huge UI is a serious problem in 2010 (after DoW etc...). And what is up with the really bad animations?

A bit meh...

Will play more to try to get into it...

Zzoram

F#A#Oo said:
Early Cheese...I haven't lost ZvT in a couple of weeks now...

But I'm bronze league. I struggle with ZvZ and have never won ZvP EVER. :( I'm seeing alot of proxy photon...or fast tech'ing to Carriers always does me in. My opponents seem to put down so many photon around their bases effectively allowing them to turtle till Carriers.

Oh and Forcefield spam...if I have no hydra's I'm screwed...if I try and bait run I still lose units...one of the reasons why Zerg needs more one more ranged unit...

I just got promoted to Gold, but I was top8 Silver for a long time. I win the majority of ZvZ, probably half the ZvP, and pretty much none of the ZvT.

I only lose to Protoss if I was too greedy and don't have enough of an army to stop his first 2 Immortal push. If I can stop that, I can macro up and have a huge economic advantage and generally win by containing him.

Against Terran, I either lose to Banshee/Reaper harass into MMM, or just MMMT. I can't figure out a good timing to attack Terran before they have a monstrous ball. I suspect that I should be using Nydus more to just wreck his base or something. I usually go Zergling/Baneling/Hydra and it never works out. Late game I add a few Infestors and Broodlords, but I think I either need more Infestors sooner, or I need to Nydus their base.

ZealousD

NemesisPrime said:
Oh dear.

I just installed this yesterday...

TBH the limited view and the huge UI is a serious problem in 2010 (after DoW etc...). And what is up with the really bad animations?

A bit meh...

Will play more to try to get into it...

Let's get one thing straight right off the bat.

This game is not Dawn of War. It is not Company of Heroes.

Starcraft is a fast-paced competitive-oriented RTS. Everything it does it does for a reason, and don't think for one second that just because it's not part of the modern trend of "streamlining" RTSs that it's bad or outdated.

remz

ZealousD said:
Let's get one thing straight right off the bat.

This game is not Dawn of War. It is not Company of Heroes.

Starcraft is a fast-paced competitive-oriented RTS. Everything it does it does for a reason, and don't think for one second that just because it's not part of the modern trend of "streamlining" RTSs that it's bad or outdated.
The clunky UI has a reason?

oh actually yes, yes it does.... some more varied animations would sitll be nice though IMO

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
fanboi said:
Yeah, but I can mass alot more roaches take take some of the dmg since I have alot of lings, but will try that.

My standard is actually using all type of units... and while I mass units I harass and keep opponent on toes with muttas (also banelings is a must if you mass units since they will make a difference since often the opponent will focus on your army and miss the banes).
those roaches are taking 34 extra damage though, at the end of the day a hydralisk will soak up more shots from immortals and stalkers than a roach will all while dealing comperable damage versus stalkers and sentries and more damage versus immortals. [due to faster attack cooldown]

fanboi

Banned
Pandaman said:
those roaches are taking 34 extra damage though, at the end of the day a hydralisk will soak up more shots from immortals and stalkers than a roach will all while dealing comperable damage versus stalkers and sentries and more damage versus immortals. [due to faster attack cooldown]

True.
Will try to go fast hydra with lings to counter a P. Then move to muttas to harass while buuilding army

Zzoram

remz said:
The clunky UI has a reason?

oh actually yes, yes it does.... some more varied animations would sitll be nice though IMO

I don't understand what you don't like about the UI. The minimap and unit info is great and has very good readibility at a glance.

Varied animations do nothing but hurt visual clarity and confuse what's going on in a big battle.

The UI and animations are designed for visual clarity for spectators, and to be clear and informative for fast paced gameplay.

Sloegr

Zzoram said:
Varied animations do nothing but hurt visual clarity and confuse what's going on in a big battle.

The UI and animations are designed for visual clarity for spectators, and to be clear and informative for fast paced gameplay.

As a spectator, the Dark Templar movement animation bothers me for some reason. It just looks weird. Maybe I'm alone in that?

But yeah, you're right. Multiple death animations or attack animations aren't needed.

CerberusE

Neo Member
Note to self: Remember to always upgrade baneling speed. Had a game last night where I forgot to do it before the major battle marines/marauders were able to outrun the banelings.

PS: Are banelings the coolest new unit or what? Seeing marines melt is just beautiful.

Good God. I just had one of the best or worst matches yesterday, depending on how you take it...

Terran vs. Terran. Desert Oasis. The match before this (vs Zerg), I lost so I got fed up and decided to rush this guy.

I send one of my workers outside his base and decided to built three Barracks. After I got an army of a dozen marines, I send them in and marked the rest to exit the barrack and enter the base directly.

I killed all of his marines and was on my way to destroy his base when he lifted if off and landed it on the remote island on top-left. No worries, I'll just make a Banshee and wipe him off the face of p... what the fuck?!!! He send 4 Reapers and killed every worker on my base. Luckily (or unluckily), I had one worker alive who created the Barracks at his place.

So now I had LOADS of marines who cannot fly, no gold cause I spend all of it on marines and only one worker. The mistake I made was that I did not send my Barrack into the island that he was hiding on. I was expecting to win in a minute after he landed the Island cause his Command Center had 100 health left before it disappeared into the fog and I was expecting the fire to blow it up.. Alas, he had loads of gold and could continue off with his life while I had none. By the time I had my Banshees ready, he covered his entire base with Missle turrets. No worries, I'll just create Battlecruisers, destory the defenses and send in Medivac with the 6 dozen marines sitting in my base for no r... OH HOLY SHIT!! 3 Battlecruisers entered my base by the time my first Battlecruiser, destroyed my Banshees with Ravens and killed my Marines with Battlecruiser...

Motherfucking shit...!

fanboi

Banned
Question, if you have. lets say. three hatch hotkeyed to same key and then wants to move to one specific hatch how do you do that? Tab + ?

Top Bottom