• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

chris-013

Won said:
Match-ups start to be pretty uneven for me. Beat Zerg most of the time, but lose against Protoss most of the time. :/

That said I really enjoy the Terran mirror currently. Normally I hate mirrors more than anything, but this one is really really fun.

Yes I had the same problem with Terran Vs Protoss than I tried the new build FE + 4 rax + bunkers than ghost or tank(I prefer ghost) and that worked great so far for me.

Chris R

So I finally finished all of my "beginner" matches. Holy shit... I mean I'm by no means good at this game yet, only like a 40 APM average, still working out build orders ect. That map has you walled in, so I only built like 2 Zealots and a few Stalkers, and just sat them right in front of the rocks. Tech up to 9 Void Rays, 2/3 weapons, and my opponent doesn't even have a second base yet when I get there :lol Talk about overkill.

So now that I'm out of the preschool league, what exactly are the ranks? I'm guessing plat-gold-silver-bronze-copper? or something like that. If so I should find a spot right smack dab in the middle of bronze after a few more matches.

bN Star

Neo Member
Haha yes I got in the beta! Been lurking in here for awhile. I need some new friends to play with though, anyone want to play?
oh yeah i've been place in gold league!

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Well, great. Logged into my battle.net account today to see if I had gotten into the beta yet, and someone has tied an Blizzard Authenticator to my battle.net account, basically jacking it.

Way to start a weekend. Woo.

anachronous_one said:
Well, great. Logged into my battle.net account today to see if I had gotten into the beta yet, and someone has tied an Blizzard Authenticator to my battle.net account, basically jacking it.

Way to start a weekend. Woo.

no biggie, blizz will fix it, especially if you are the only one with access to your secret question, they cant change your email unless they have that so youll be given precedence

JWong

Banned
The Lamonster said:
ooo shit there still isn't a Mac client?
I'm not sure if there's going to be one for two reasons.

First, they don't need hardware testing on Macs because it's so standardized. They can just get the various Mac configs from Apple and test that whereas PC has endless amounts of configs.

Secondly, they're testing for balance which requires hardcore gamers. Unfortunately, hardcore gamers tend to love PC rigs that they can customize. Blizzard knows their audience, knows what they use, and knows who they want to test on.

I really don't think Mac users will see Starcraft 2 until it launches.

Paper Tiger

Neo Member
JWong said:
I'm not sure if there's going to be one for two reasons.

First, they don't need hardware testing on Macs because it's so standardized. They can just get the various Mac configs from Apple and test that whereas PC has endless amounts of configs.

Secondly, they're testing for balance which requires hardcore gamers. Unfortunately, hardcore gamers tend to love PC rigs that they can customize. Blizzard knows their audience, knows what they use, and knows who they want to test on.

I really don't think Mac users will see Starcraft 2 until it launches.

Oh god, please be wrong.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
To reply:

zoukka: scouting earlier would help, once there gets to be 5 reapers or so they just eat the spine crawlers.

Sykra: If you stay at home playing zerg you've pretty much lost, not really an option. Ling speed I do.

Panda: I get a queen as soon as the pool pops. Unless I go an earlier pool, but I feel like that hurts eco so badly.

Haly: Same thing as zoukka with the crawlers, and I feel like zerg has to FE to be able to keep up in production and eco.

Won: Second half of my response to haly.

To clarify, the reason I posted this is because I got absolutely wrecked by a proxy rax in a spot that would have taken me ages to get to and easily defensed by reapers on desert oasis. They really just own your mineral line on that map, thinking back, really the only thing I could've done differently was stack all three spine crawlers I built on that ledge rather than spread them out around the base. I defended the FE no problem, it's my main that got destroyed. Probably should've altered my build to have included roaches just to leave on the mineral line at home so I could apply my bane/zergling pressure on the terran main. It took me too long to defend my base and rebuild gas production, resulting in getting run over by MMM + a couple tanks. I did bust into his base, but I could only send half of my zerglings, as I had to leave the rest at home. Didn't do enough damage, resulting in a loss. I'll chalk that one up to the map, though.

Procarbine said:
Dude, this. Gotta grind out my Ibuki execution. I don't care what tier she ends up being, I will kick ass with her, I WILL.

Also, I actually came in here to ask you something: Early reaper harass, it's owning me so hard, how do you defend it? By the time I scout it I've usually thrown my hatch down already, as every match I 13 pool -> 15 hatch unless I scout something insane.

It honestly all depends.. If you are FEing and reapers are coming in for the inital harass then they are usually sending just 1 or 2. I dance around some drones and make sure I fight on the creep. I'm not the biggest fan of FEing extremely early either.. Most of the time I'm doing it around a 20 unit count area. If you are needing to use drones.. make sure to collect them all on one mineral field so you can bunch a ton up then send them out at the guy in your mineral field They will surround better and its harder for them to target specific ones if you can micro them properly since they stack.

Likewise my queen is out by then most of the time and can usually fend at least 1 off herself with zlings taking out the rest. Usually they don't have the reaper speed upgrade by then.

make sure to rally zlings initially at your choke but also around your edges on jump points.. specially in LT.

I get speed extremely fast compared to most other zerg players for zlings. Spine crawlers can help.. just 3 alone can wreck. You have to remember though that if you can keep reapers out.. you are almost guaranteeing a good lead over your opponent even if you don't FE immediately. This also gives you a good reason to start teching as you know they won't be going in heavy early on so you don't have to keep producing early units.

clav

Ever since I watched my replay of running over a guy's base with 200 zerglings, the game has consistently been pausing, stuttering, and even crashing itself on my computer.

I already reinstalled the game.

My graphics settings are the lowest (1024x768 at 16-bit colors). Everything is set to low.

The game was silky smooth until this last patch.

What the hell happened?

Why is it eating up more CPU usage than the first time I played it?

This doesn't make any sense at all.

Also, since the crash when I was observing a GAF game, the game resetted my stats. My ranking shows -1.

There has to be something wrong with this latest build.

Meeru

Banned
claviertekky said:
Ever since I watched my replay of running over a guy's base with 200 zerglings, the game has consistently been pausing, stuttering, and even crashing itself on my computer.

I already reinstalled the game.

My graphics settings are the lowest (1024x768 at 16-bit colors). Everything is set to low.

The game was silky smooth until this last patch.

What the hell happened?

Why is it eating up more CPU usage than the first time I played it?

This doesn't make any sense at all.

Also, since the crash when I was observing a GAF game, the game resetted my stats. My ranking shows -1.

There has to be something wrong with this latest build.
Hey you're right me too..my graphics just get crazy sometimes whenever I'm in a game.

TurtleSnatcher said:
Paging ICE MONKEY STAT

Tell me everything about your m11x

I saw you posted on notebookreview :lol

lol its the best thing ever. i also posted about 15 billion posts on the kotaku article about it.

the cpu is just enough to run everything at 30fps with medium-high settings, the alienfx is the best keyboard backlighting of anything, you can turn off the backlights to be a little more discreet, it doesnt get too hot even when gaming , the screen is beautiful, the palm rest material feels nice, the graphics card is great, it should run osx at some point perfectly, its light and ultra portable, it gets 9 hours of battery life 3-4 when gaming. and more.

About the only three things it has bad are the built in wireless card cant aircrack, the screen is a little glossy but doesnt reflect when you actually use it and are in good lighting, and when you run linux you cant use the integrated graphics card so you only get 3-4 hours of battery life. everything else is exceptional.

clav

valenti said:
Hey you're right me too..my graphics just get crazy sometimes whenever I'm in a game.
UPDATE

I found out that the slowdown to 15 fps can simply be reproduced by producing zerglings!

The game immediately chugs down to 15 fps. If a player produces no zerglings, the game runs smoothly!

what the hell

Blizzard! Fix this broken build!

Meeru

Banned
Ice Monkey said:
lol its the best thing ever. i also posted about 15 billion posts on the kotaku article about it.

the cpu is just enough to run everything at 30fps with medium-high settings, the alienfx is the best keyboard backlighting of anything, you can turn off the backlights to be a little more discreet, it doesnt get too hot even when gaming , the screen is beautiful, the palm rest material feels nice, the graphics card is great, it should run osx at some point perfectly, its light and ultra portable, it gets 9 hours of battery life 3-4 when gaming. and more.

About the only three things it has bad are the built in wireless card cant aircrack, the screen is a little glossy but doesnt reflect when you actually use it and are in good lighting, and when you run linux you cant use the integrated graphics card so you only get 3-4 hours of battery life. everything else is exceptional.
specs? how much?

i have to ask. this game has likes of graphic setting to change? I forgot about SC1 until i played recently and there's basically nothing to make it look good :lol.

valenti said:
specs? how much?

i paid $714 total for mine but i got in on a sweet day-1 purchase coupon stack. It's 800 before tax and coupons now. ULV 1.73ghz dual core (dont scoff, 10W max TDP = a billion hours of battery life), 335m geforce with 72 cores (330m has 48), intel 4500mhd integrated graphics for switching to mega low power, 160gb hdd standard, 2GB DDR3 1066mhz ram standard, 12 inch chassis, 11.6 inch screen, 1366x768 with LED backlight and pretty solid nits although i dont know how many, maybe 400 or so. Top is glossy but the least fingerprint-magnet glossy i've ever seen, very well made hinges are great.

Even sweeter is i got it on financing for $23 a month no interest for 12 months (pay bill online, no shenanigans). had it since 3/7 and my first bill is end of april. Seriously been using the damn thing no money out of my pocket for more than a month now o_O

One final note, apple just came out with macbooks with i7s and 330m/intel 4500 switching which means perfect osx support to come. 330m is exactly the same as 335m except has 48 cores instead of 335m 72 cores.

One final final note, closest comparison is asus UL series 12/13 inch whatever, has many same specs other than aesthetic except the gfx card is a 210/310m which has, hilariously, 16 or less cores compared to 72 o_O

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Gigabyte commercials :lol :lol :lol

This is being broadcast in china? Or taiwan? Either way it's fucking hilarious.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So after those 1v1's I think we have a team style match...

China vs Korea

Loner < Lost Temple > Check
Ace < Lost Temple > EVE
Beckham < Lost Temple > Susiria

Ace < Desert Oasis > Check
Ace < Lost Temple > EVE
Ace < Desert Oasis > Susiria
Ace < Desert Oasis > Check

---

USA vs Korea (so far)

IdrA
< Lost Temple > EVE
Tasteless < Steppes of War > Susiria
Artosis < Steppes of War > Check

IdrA < Lost Temple > Check

zoukka

Something else than match talk:

I really hope Blizzard makes tweakes to some of the graphics. I'm a Zerg player and that race looks fucking sweet. The models are awesome, each portrait is unique and cool, and the buildings look alive. But whenever I play Terran or Protoss I can't help noticing how some of the units look crappy as hell. Terran mech build especially looks goddamn generic. There's no personality in Tanks, Hellions or even the massive Thors. No expression and even the portraits are lame. Hellion driver is some generic motorist (previously a cyborg, goatee badass), Tank has the same dude as in the first SC, but just more boring. And I'm not talking about Thor :lol Same could be said about all the flyers... well Battlecruiser is ok.

Protoss is even worse, when most of the portraits look almost the same. And the high templars and archons look straight from Warcraft :b And aren't there female protosses out there? Do they reproduce by meditating :b Or is the Mothership some kind of ant queen :lol

Wedge7

Oh my god, this basically solidified my love for TL and the mods and admins who run the place.

Basically last night the TL mods made a sorta attention grabbing thread, basically, "Do you still need a Beta Key", sorta hinting that they got a bunch of beta keys and basically alot of people posted in the thread, stating that Yes, they did want a beta key (obviously) What was hilarious to note was how many 1post users were posting, or guys who made accounts in literally the last few days. Anyways, fast forward a few hours, this post goes up. http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=119921

Something important to note is how just about every guy was going on how he was a lurker for years and years on end, without contributing and never bothering to register blah blah. Professing years of undying love to starcraft and how they are just now coming out of the shadows. Understandable, but I mean, to that extent?

TL gets a shitload of beta keys, and distributes them to the community as they see fit. They also had this pretty fun beta scavenger hunt beta contest, that was over pretty quickly, pretty hard to win it.

Then they make this brillant thread, http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=119922 Basically the gist of the thread is to nominate someone deserving of the beta key, and catch is that you can also nominate yourself if you so choose, but the caveat that you must be deserving. The admins say they'll look over the thread and decide. Of course 90% of the posts are people nominating themselves, and once again, the low post users and new accounts come out of the woodwork. Some people are caught spamming/nominating themselves in different dummy accounts and laughs ensue.

Finally, thread gets closed down and then a new thread opens up. http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=120015 Basically compiling a list of all those who self-nominated themselves, and basically gave them an ultimatum, if enough of them decide to remove themselves from the list, the remaining few get the keys, if nobody does, nobody gets any. Awesome TL, awesome.

mcrae

just palyed an awesome 2v2 random.
me Z, ally P, vs TP

i went and 6 pooled, harassed the toss while the enemy terran went reapers and harassed my partner. i drew away some of the reaper fire with my ling harass, but eventually my partner lost his nexus cause he couldn't build cannons fast enough/get stalkers out at all... he did waste lot of lots tho :(.

by this time the P i was harassing only had 5 probes or so, vs my 15-18 drones, and i deciding to go mutas. i went with 6 over to the terran base and he only had 8ish marines, a bunch of marauders and a bunch of reapers. i took out his scv line and the marines while his reapers and marauders went to take out my base.

they got my natural with its two sunkens, and they got my 2nd tier hatchery(name is escapign me) down to 300 hp, however they didnt touch the workers... probably because the two spine crawlers that were there. it was an all or nothing move i guess.. i still think if they killed my workers i would've lost the match. as it was, since they didnt kill the hatch, i wasnt really harmed at all. i defended it with just a couple mutas, since reapers and marauders can't hit air.

so now the terran is severely gimped, and has run to the toss base. from then on i knew the toss would be making anti air, so i went for a couple more mutas, and was getting ready to go corrupters+broodlords but the 15 or so mutas i had and 3 corrupters were enough to win the game 2v1. woot!

here is the replay for anyone interested!
http://www.sc2rc.com/index.php/replay/show/1714

V_Arnold

zoukka said:

I really hope Blizzard makes tweakes to some of the graphics. I'm a Zerg player and that race looks fucking sweet. The models are awesome, each portrait is unique and cool, and the buildings look alive. But whenever I play Terran or Protoss I can't help noticing how some of the units look crappy as hell. Terran mech build especially looks goddamn generic. There's no personality in Tanks, Hellions or even the massive Thors. No expression and even the portraits are lame. Hellion driver is some generic motorist (previously a cyborg, goatee badass), Tank has the same dude as in the first SC, but just more boring. And I'm not talking about Thor :lol Same could be said about all the flyers... well Battlecruiser is ok.

Protoss is even worse, when most of the portraits look almost the same. And the high templars and archons look straight from Warcraft :b And aren't there female protosses out there? Do they reproduce by meditating :b Or is the Mothership some kind of ant queen :lol

Quite subjective, I found both Terran and Protoss awesome ingame/portrait-wise.

Won

zoukka said:

At least Terran and Protoss units can talk!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I want the sounds to be sharper, Terran units to be more individual.
Some more stylized Terran units would be nice. Dislike the look of most of the units.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Watching your mech army move out looks like it is a fucking toy box.

Action figure thors, go-karts, and rectangular caterpillar tanks is awful. Plus everything sounds weak. Muted non-treble sounds do not make me go "OH SHIT!".

Everything in SC1 was pronounced and clear (obviously helped it was 2D) but even early game units like marine, zealot, zergling all made loud clear distinctive noises.

Just ranting now. It was brought up on Beta forums but no one seemed to care.

The sound of SC 2 is fine. And nothing is wrong with Terrans. SC 1 is 12 years old so stop whining. This is not StarCraft HD this is StarCraft 2.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
maniac-kun said:
The sound of SC 2 is fine. And nothing is wrong with Terrans. SC 1 is 12 years old so stop whining.
It does look like a whiny post doesn't it. It's just late and I'm tired.

Paz

FINALLY got my rank 1 plat back, people are really freakin good at this game now it's getting crazy.

Not really that high in the grand scheme of things at 1865 but eh it's top 100 :D

I've been having a lot of trouble in protoss mirror lately as I try to work out the best timings for zealot harass/gas/tech... So frustrating when you miss a timing window by 20 seconds and it just kills you, Protoss is a very unforgiving race.

Paz

Hazaro said:
Watching your mech army move out looks like it is a fucking toy box.

Action figure thors, go-karts, and rectangular caterpillar tanks is awful. Plus everything sounds weak. Muted non-treble sounds do not make me go "OH SHIT!".

Everything in SC1 was pronounced and clear (obviously helped it was 2D) but even early game units like marine, zealot, zergling all made loud clear distinctive noises.

Just ranting now. It was brought up on Beta forums but no one seemed to care.

Don't listen to the silly apologists who would claim anything Blizzard does is automatically perfect, clearly the huge development cycle and long beta is proof that they are already wrong.

The sounds in SC2 are definitely a weak point compared with the first title and even with WC3 or TFT, they are not distinctive and almost impossible to pick up on what is happening in a battle where as in the past you could tell instantly that you were being shot by tanks or hit by dark templar.

The worst offenders by far though are the early game zerg and protoss units such as the zergling and zealot.. You can barely tell if they are attacking now.

And yes the graphical revamp of terran mech is shocking as it ruined the second most iconic Starcraft unit: The siege tank (Zerglings are #1).

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
So would ladder scores be comparable cross leagues? Am getting better and am moving up but it seems relegation upwards doesn't happen very often. Am 1300 in silver league now.

Paz

elostyle said:
So would ladder scores be comparable cross leagues? Am getting better and am moving up but it seems relegation upwards doesn't happen very often. Am 1300 in silver league now.

Not sure I understand this question fully but no the scores are not comparable cross league, your score is reset when you change league so 1300 silver has no relation to what you would be in gold etc.

Top Bottom