• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

ZealousD said:
Let's get one thing straight right off the bat.

This game is not Dawn of War. It is not Company of Heroes.

Starcraft is a fast-paced competitive-oriented RTS. Everything it does it does for a reason, and don't think for one second that just because it's not part of the modern trend of "streamlining" RTSs that it's bad or outdated.

Well I guess it is settled then. You can explain away any bad game design decision like that.

I just found it very hard to play after DoW2. I am a huge SC1 fan... but the beta has not impressed me.

Won

DoW 2 UI is pretty horrible anyway and only works, because there are no buildings and only handful of squads to manage to begin with.

SC2's UI has much more too handle and it does it extremely well.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
NemesisPrime said:
Well I guess it is settled then. You can explain away any bad game design decision like that.
Well, changing Starcraft's core gameplay to bring it in line with current trends in the RTS genre would do two things:

1) Alienate a good portion of users who simply want next gen SC1 (See: South Korea)
2) Present an entirely new game to balance all over again, which may not necessarily be more successful than just using an already successful formula

There's a big reason SC1 is still popular today and it's because the gameplay is good. Other RTSes go in and out of fashion but SC1 has staying power. I don't think it's a bad game design decision to keep what works.

Although I do think a lot of stuff can be implemented to make the technology seem more modern at least. This I'll attribute to players potentially bitching about the "skill" required to play the game at a high level.

aznpxdd

NemesisPrime said:

I just found it very hard to play after DoW2. I am a huge SC1 fan... but the beta has not impressed me.

Doubt it. You'd be right at home if you were into SC1 competitively.

Amir0x

Banned
Does anyone have a good link to the controls? I can't find any place to change them in the menu, and since I haven't played Starcraft since 7th grade or something I really don't remember the controls at all. Starcraft 2 seems nice but I'd like to get the controls printed out.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Amir0x said:
Does anyone have a good link to the controls? I can't find any place to change them in the menu, and since I haven't played Starcraft since 7th grade or something I really don't remember the controls at all. Starcraft 2 seems nice but I'd like to get the controls printed out.
Hotkeys are shown in the little windows, most of them make sense. (Buildings)
Units are usually first letter of their name (Or for Terran, e, a, m, d) since you'll be spamming marines and mards the whole game.

Besides hotkeys there isn't much besides:

Ctrl + # for a group
'a' + click or 'ctrl' + click to attack-move
Right click to move (you will not engage)
Double click or ctrl + click to select all units / buildings of a specific type.
Shift to select of deselect individual units.

Holding shift while assigning actions will queue them, e.g. move along this path, or build another pylon after this one.

Hazaro said:
Units are usually first letter of their name (Or for Terran, e, a, m, d) since you'll be spamming marines and mards the whole game.

Ctrl + # for a group
Double click or shift click to select all units / buildings of a specific type.

Holding shift while assigning actions will queue them, e.g. move along this path, or build another pylon after this one.
It's actually control click, not shift click, right guys?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
NemesisPrime said:

That's not what I'm trying to do. You can't explain anything away just by saying it's a different game. I'm saying that because Starcraft 2 doesn't contain any bad game design decisions. Like I said, everything it does it does for a reason.

And if you were a huge SC1 fan, you wouldn't be complaining.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The Lamonster said:
It's actually control click, not shift click, right guys?
Yeah, late and I thought I put in the part about ctrl + shift to add / remove all of a type to a control group.

I do this for marine/mard/medivac/raven (since the raven overrides stim priority and I am not used to using tab yet)

Draft

NemesisPrime said:

You say bad, but can you back it up?

A lot of people harp on Blizzard for not adopting UI or gameplay mechanics from more modern RTS games, and I have to wonder: why should they? What have the recent RTS games accomplished? The genre isn't nearly as dominant as it used to be. If anything, the modern UI and gameplay mechanics have shuffled RTS solidly into b-tier territory.

There was a very similar trend in the fighting game genre, and when SFIV came out Capcom basically ignored most of the stuff that had been added to the genre over the last 10 years, and I think most people applaud that decision.

Outside of non-customizable hotkeys, I don't think there's much in SC2's UI that can be objectively labeled bad or outdated compared to a game like DOW2.

mcrae

fanboi said:
True.
Will try to go fast hydra with lings to counter a P. Then move to muttas to harass while buuilding army

you're thinking about it wrong. don't counter shit, make him counter you.

try going fast mutas, THEN get hydras if you really want. ideally broodlords corrupters

fanboi

Banned
mcrae said:
you're thinking about it wrong. don't counter shit, make him counter you.

try going fast mutas, THEN get hydras if you really want. ideally broodlords corrupters

Of course.

But if I have made a wrong choice I need to adapt :p

EDIT: Any EU players on now? Or is it fucked up for you.

Zzoram

NemesisPrime said:

DoW2's UI is horrible in comparison to any other RTS. It gives you basically 0 information about anything. You can't even select other units in Last Stand to see their stats, and even if you could select them, there wouldn't be much shown judging by the little bit info they give on your own unit.

Zzoram

Draft said:
You say bad, but can you back it up?

A lot of people harp on Blizzard for not adopting UI or gameplay mechanics from more modern RTS games, and I have to wonder: why should they? What have the recent RTS games accomplished? The genre isn't nearly as dominant as it used to be. If anything, the modern UI and gameplay mechanics have shuffled RTS solidly into b-tier territory.

There was a very similar trend in the fighting game genre, and when SFIV came out Capcom basically ignored most of the stuff that had been added to the genre over the last 10 years, and I think most people applaud that decision.

Outside of non-customizable hotkeys, I don't think there's much in SC2's UI that can be objectively labeled bad or outdated compared to a game like DOW2.

Exactly. CoH and DoW2 haven't sold crazy numbers bringing in casuals with it's new UI or gameplay. It's progression only in the sense that it's different, in terms of sales and bringing in new gamers, it's regression.

CnC3 sold well, CnC4 is selling poorly. It's not an accident. PC gamers are generally more informed about the games they buy than console gamers.

I'm getting blocked from accessing the beta or my Battle.net account due to not having an authenticator code wtf. Anyone else having this problem? I didn't set up an authenticator

Yaweee

PhoenixDark said:
I'm getting blocked from accessing the beta or my Battle.net account due to not having an authenticator code wtf. Anyone else having this problem? I didn't set up an authenticator

You got hacked, I suspect.

Sloegr

PhoenixDark said:

Someone else took it upon themselves to set one up. They didn't do it for your benefit, sadly.

You should be able to contact Blizzard and have the authenticator removed from the account.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I'm in EU beta and can't play...program won't load up anything...can't even create an offline game against the A.I.

Problem started since the wipe yesterday evening.

Yaweee said:
You got hacked, I suspect.

fffu

I just changed my password, as advised on the Blizzard site. Checked my WoW character on the armory and it hasn't been changed since I last played (April 7th), and talked to my guild leader who said he hasn't noticed anything either. The lines are busy so I sent an email.

Hm, I can't think of any recent actions I've taken that could expose myself to a keylogger. I'll run a scan. I was playing the beta around 4am this morning with no problems.

aznpxdd said:
Doubt it. You'd be right at home if you were into SC1 competitively.

Nope... I have played this game before... it was called StarCraft. I expected a lot more from version 2 I guess. The limited viewfield really annoys me atm. I can't believe we used to play like that. I can live with the bad animations... at least the non-game UI is great and the sound is awesome.

fanboi said:
Why didn't you salvage your bunkers so you could buy more SCVs?

No bunkers. None needed since I wasn't caring about my base. I was going to have a quick marine rush and i succeeded 99% of the way, except that I forgot that the map has a fucking remote Island.

Hazaro said:
3 rax with no Orbital Command to back the costs? tsk tsk.

Post rep for funnies.

:(

Ortibal Command did show up but pretty damn late into the game. I'll post the rep when I get home! I actually want to see the replay at how he survived it. I send in one of my useless Starports into his base to see how quickly it blows up incase I wanna send in my units and... sigh... :p

I actually wanted to quit the game as soon as I spotted his Starports and loads of missle turrets.

Sloegr

NemesisPrime said:
The limited viewfield really annoys me atm. I can't believe we used to play like that.

I still do play like that. I play SC quite a bit and am not bothered by the field of view... and I was just playing DoW2 and CoH this week. Different strokes I suppose.

Zzoram

NemesisPrime said:
Nope... I have played this game before... it was called StarCraft. I expected a lot more from version 2 I guess. The limited viewfield really annoys me atm. I can't believe we used to play like that. I can live with the bad animations... at least the non-game UI is great and the sound is awesome.

You still haven't explained what is bad about the UI. I already highlighted how DoW2's UI gives you practically no useful information as a negative. What is the negative to SC2's UI?

Milabrega

Anyone else feel like, they would have preferred if SC2 didn't have the Armor/Light and Bonus damage unit types and just had raw Damage and HP?

Won

Milabrega said:
Anyone else feel like, they would have preferred if SC2 didn't have the Armor/Light and Bonus damage unit types and just had raw Damage and HP?

I would say that would limit unit design pretty hard. If anything it needs one more armor type.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Milabrega said:
seems like they are slowly removing the bonuses.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't like it because it makes hard counters, well, too obvious and efficient to ignore.

Not that it really affects me since I can't do anything else beyond mass stalker.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Jokey665 said:
Does anything interact with the "Psionic" descriptor?
Not that I know of.
Milabrega said:
That would limit units and balance so... no.
SC 1 had it, but everything was damage reduction that you couldn't see. :lol
shagg_187 said:
Ortibal Command did show up but pretty damn late into the game. I'll post the rep when I get home! I actually want to see the replay at how he survived it. I send in one of my useless Starports into his base to see how quickly it blows up incase I wanna send in my units and... sigh... :p

I actually wanted to quit the game as soon as I spotted his Starports and loads of missle turrets.
I get my OC on 14-16 supply almost every game.

NemesisPrime said:

What "bad game designs" are you talking about? I'd love to see a well thought out explanation as to why you think these are "bad game designs" and your preferred remedies, and remember make the critique objective as opposed to subjective.

Also, try not to reference other games design choices unless you're fully aware of all externalities that might occur.

For example your decision to call it a 'limited view field' doesn't make sense in context. That would be like saying all other FPS games that don't share the halo, lower of center, reticule placement is a 'limited view field'. These types of design choices directly effect the way a game plays, so I don't see how you can label it as limited.

yanhero

I wish the hotkeys would just map to

qwert
asdfg
zxcvb

that would make more sense to me instead of having to memorize everything.

JWong

Banned
yanhero said:
I wish the hotkeys would just map to

qwert
asdfg
zxcvb

that would make more sense to me instead of having to memorize everything.
That's how natural selection does it. I also think it's way better.

Minsc

Gold Member
Zzoram said:
You still haven't explained what is bad about the UI. I already highlighted how DoW2's UI gives you practically no useful information as a negative. What is the negative to SC2's UI?

I think his big gripe is it doesn't have Supreme Commander style zooming, where you can zoom out to the whole battlefield at once and issue commands on basically a mini-map scaled to your PCs monitor.

But seriously, it sounds like he just doesn't like the fact StarCraft 2 is StarCraft+. It's not an uncommon opinion, just an unpopular one, proven so by the game's sales in comparison to every other RTS on the market.

I'd go so far to say that StarCraft 2 will outsell every other PC RTS game released within 3 years of it, combined. And since StarCraft 2 will count as three separate games, I'm fairly confident I have no chance of losing!

Ashhong

Hazaro said:

Ctrl + # for a group
Double click or ctrl + click to select all units / buildings of a specific type.
Shift to select of deselect individual units.

damn, didnt know you could ctrl+click to select all.

so how come mutas seem to engage when i right click? i dont notice it with other units, but i have to spam right click to get them to run away or move to a certain point without engaging

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
What do you detractors mean when you say "poor UI", "bad animations", and "limited view field"?

The UI is simple and streamlined, playing SC1, WC3, and then moving to SC2 was completely natural. SC2 gives the nice addition of displaying your control groups. I used to play DoW as well, but the sheer scale of Starcraft makes that UI design impossible and impractical.

Bad animations? The animations are, just as the UI, simple and streamlined. When one unit kills another I don't want to see a 5 second sequence of a Space Marine hacking an Eldar to pieces with his chainsword, I want the other unit to die and mine to start killing another unit right away. Starcraft isn't designed to be slow and pretty, although SC2 is very pretty in my opinion, it's designed to be fast and competitive. Seeing units erupt in ash when killed by fire or dissolve in acid is nice enough to get the point across. Honestly when it comes down to it, if you're sitting there watching the animations you're falling behind.

I suppose limited view is a matter of opinion, but this never even crossed my mind and this is honestly the first i've ever seen it mentioned.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Some units will auto engage because the AI is wonky occasionally.

Just spam right click like you said.

Also PATCH TIME :D
Gretorp's stream went down (1700 rank Plat #1) and EU is also down.
Can't wait.

*I'm guessing Forcefield nerf, reaper nerf, immortal nerf, maybe a weird zerg buff.

**Limited view is something that is specifically intended. In an interview someone mentioned that the harsh time management of SC related into the restricted view so you can only do so much at a given time. They don't expect to change the view point. Probably helps some older machines as well.

Ashhong

i know some of you got the SC2 Collectors Edition from Gamestop with the 25/100 coupon. what did you choose for shipping? this value shipping for 5$ says its gonna take like 10 days...wtf?!

Top Bottom