• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Ashhong

Ice Monkey said:
who said 4v4? as far as we know it could just be mac beta and galaxy editor with no way to share maps.

Im serious though, has it actually been confirmed 4v4? All I've seen is galaxy editor.

an interview said there is indeed no sharing of maps...so you are right there.

did not know it was confirmed to have 3v3 and 4v4, fuck yea!

IceMarker

TurtleSnatcher said:
If you want beta access..

Preorder at Gamestop..

Saw this on Twitter

@GameStopCorp

StarCraft 2 Beta Access and Free 3-day Shipping with Pre-order at GameStop.com. http://ow.ly/1AX5h
OH. SHIT.
24c6qv7.jpg

Inb4 a bazillion new beta members.
:lol

I wonder if GameStop will still email me an extra code, barring the fact I pre-ordered the game (Collector's Edition too) before this promotion started and that I'm already in beta.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
ahoyhoy said:
My God is expanding frustrating in this game. With so many units that can demolish buildings/builders in seconds, it's almost not worth ever expanding until you have a highly mobile army/run out of resources.

What race do you play? I play zerg and often expand before my spawning pool has even finished, but that's pretty much a zerg exclusive. You just have to set up the proper defense or have the right amount of map control to pull off an expo. Obviously if you're just sitting your units in your base and waiting, expanding will be difficult.

Procarbine said:
What race do you play? I play zerg and often expand before my spawning pool has even finished, but that's pretty much a zerg exclusive. You just have to set up the proper defense or have the right amount of map control to pull off an expo. Obviously if you're just sitting your units in your base and waiting, expanding will be difficult.

you expand before pool finishes? whats that, 500 minerals spent before you have any defense whatsoever not including any overlords or drones?

How many times have you played and not lost to an early rush? this just doesnt sound feasible if there is any chance of cheese/rush whatsoever.

dont get me wrong im not trying to say you're an idiot or i'm so great or anything but I'd really like to know how that strategy is effective enough to be played often

Ashhong said:
order cannot be cancelled?! boooooooooooo

oh wait, that 3 day free shipping now applies to the collectors too! yes!

Dude its just $5.00 for a key now.. beats Ebay! Totally worth it if you don't buy it there.. :lol

gillFTR

Ashhong said:
order cannot be cancelled?! boooooooooooo

oh wait, that 3 day free shipping now applies to the collectors too! yes!

Damn gotta go checking canadian gamestops/ebgames see if they are giving out beta codes also.

Ashhong

TurtleSnatcher said:
Dude its just $5.00 for a key now.. beats Ebay! Totally worth it if you don't buy it there.. :lol

what? where?

seems like in store customers get the code printed on the receipt? wow, they are really playing it safe with these codes. im going to assume u can return the game though later on if need be. im only partly sure i want the collectors edition...

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Ice Monkey said:
you expand before pool finishes? whats that, 500 minerals spent before you have any defense whatsoever not including any overlords or drones?

How many times have you played and not lost to an early rush? this just doesnt sound feasible if there is any chance of cheese/rush whatsoever.

dont get me wrong im not trying to say you're an idiot or i'm so great or anything but I'd really like to know how that strategy is effective enough to be played often
Zerg base requires 300 minerals (and is worth an extra 50 since it eats a drone).

Still, I see early expansions by other zerg players sometimes and I just blow through them because they have no defense. The investment into a base that early just leaves you completely vulnerable. These players are waiting to afford queens until later in the game, and aren't able to take advantage of having that unit on the battlefield early on. At the end of the day even from the start of the match you need to protect yourself in some way as quickly as possible.

Ashhong

fuck it, getting the collectors. $81.55 off gamestop.com, and hopefully i can sell the Thor WoW pet later on or something

but the item page says free 3 day shipping...and the shipping option says 5-10 days for transit, 2 business days for processing...wtf

Sloegr

Ashhong said:
fuck it, getting the collectors. $81.55 off gamestop.com, and hopefully i can sell the Thor WoW pet later on or something

but the item page says free 3 day shipping...and the shipping option says 5-10 days for transit, 2 business days for processing...wtf

$81.55? Is there a discount code involved in that price?

Ashhong

ElJuice said:
$81.55? Is there a discount code involved in that price?

yea dude, code: 25OFF for 25% off orders over 100. i added a 10$ gift card as a filler, total was 91.55 - 10$ gift card = 81.55, shipped. i cant imagine amazon or anyone else having it for cheaper...

Sloegr

Ashhong said:
yea dude, code: 25OFF for 25% off orders over 100. i added a 10$ gift card as a filler, total was 91.55 - 10$ gift card = 81.55, shipped. i cant imagine amazon or anyone else having it for cheaper...

Thanks :D I assumed that discount would have expired by now. I really don't want the collector's edition, but I'll have to consider it now.

Ashhong

ElJuice said:
Thanks :D I assumed that discount would have expired by now. I really don't want the collector's edition, but I'll have to consider it now.

im hoping the thor pet will sell on ebay, because i dont play WoW.

im also assuming that if there is an awesome deal on the standard at release time, i can return the collectors or something

Sloegr

Ashhong said:
im hoping the thor pet will sell on ebay, because i dont play WoW.

im also assuming that if there is an awesome deal on the standard at release time, i can return the collectors or something

If the pet is just a code and not automatically tied to the your battle.net account, I'd imagine you'll make most of the money back pretty easily. I haven't seen any info on that, though.

Ashhong

ElJuice said:
If the pet is just a code and not automatically tied to the your battle.net account, I'd imagine you'll make most of the money back pretty easily. I haven't seen any info on that, though.

.....i didnt even think of that. that would be unacceptable for it to just be automatically be tied to my account. oh please come on some card in the box...

Dance In My Blood said:
Zerg base requires 300 minerals (and is worth an extra 50 since it eats a drone).

Still, I see early expansions by other zerg players sometimes and I just blow through them because they have no defense. The investment into a base that early just leaves you completely vulnerable. These players are waiting to afford queens until later in the game, and aren't able to take advantage of having that unit on the battlefield early on. At the end of the day even from the start of the match you need to protect yourself in some way as quickly as possible.

lol i added the spawning pool and extra hatch together for 500=300+200. good point though about eating a drone too, that makes it a minimum 600 mineral investment not including whatever extra drones and overlords are made by them. you at LEAST need a pool before hatch unless you expect no rush for some reason.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Ice Monkey said:
lol i added the spawning pool and extra hatch together for 500=300+200. good point though about eating a drone too, that makes it a minimum 600 mineral investment not including whatever extra drones and overlords are made by them. you at LEAST need a pool before hatch unless you expect no rush for some reason.

Statements made about delaying queens and whatnot is wrong, I build my first queen as soon as the pool finishes, she comes out at 4:00.

Of course I don't do this all the time, I either scout at 10 or 13 (as I throw down the spawning pool) if I feel like anything cheesy is going on, I won't expand but otherwise I will. You probably underestimate how easy it is for zerglings and queens to defend expansions and how quickly zerg can rebuild. It takes pretty much an all-in attack or a cheese to beat my expansion, disregarding reaper nonsense. My first zerglings come out 4:35-4:40, and based on what I scout I can just pump straight lings or spend a little more on eco before going. Either way, the additional queen/hatch + eco overrides anything I give up early on.

I'm sure you've watched lots of gameplay, and nearly every high level zerg you see takes a very fast expansion.

Ashhong

wooo fought my way from the bottom of copper 2v2 random to number 1 today. i know it doesnt sound like much, but i was pretty low. my winning percentage has skyrocketed

Sloegr

Ashhong said:
wooo fought my way from the bottom of copper 2v2 random to number 1 today. i know it doesnt sound like much, but i was pretty low. my winning percentage has skyrocketed

Nice. How have your teammates been in general? Communicative?

Ashhong

ElJuice said:
Nice. How have your teammates been in general? Communicative?

in general yea, pretty communicative. they rarely have a plan so i tell them to go MMM if terran, or some other kind of ground assault while i harass with mutas. MMM+Mutas is freakin deadly.

celebi23

MrMister said:
OH. SHIT.
24c6qv7.jpg

Inb4 a bazillion new beta members.
:lol

I wonder if GameStop will still email me an extra code, barring the fact I pre-ordered the game (Collector's Edition too) before this promotion started and that I'm already in beta.

Hrm, turns out this applies for the collector's edition & if you reserve it in-store. Well, I was going to preorder it anyways. Good thing there's 3 GameStop's near my house. Perfect timing with the Mac beta coming next week :D

fanboi

Banned
I CRAVE A NEW PATCH!
I'M A PAYING CUSTOMER! SOOO BAD SUPPORT!

I giggle inside when I now there are people of think like this

todog

The release date is supposedly June 24, 2010.

Taken from www.gameware.at (Austria's largest games online retailer)

Mark Rehm, vor 23 Stunden:
Quelle: der Hersteller und unser Lieferant Blizzard

Mark is the head of the company and his source is the distributor/developer blizzard.

Gameware is reliable and has had good contacts in the past but still take the news with a small grain of salt.

Yaweee

todog said:

Mark is the head of the company and his source is the distributor/developer blizzard.

Gameware is reliable and has had good contacts in the past but still take the news with a small grain of salt.

I'd believe it, with the note that all release dates from Blizzard are prone to delay. It is done when it is done, but the Beta->Release timeframe is 100% inline with virtually every other Blizzard product.

If I don't have my beta key from the online order by the end of the day, I am canceling and stopping at every single GameStop on the way home from work.

Okay. got off the phone talking to gamestop customer support. they changed my order a bit so now my CE with tax and all is $82 with 3 day shipping. and my BETA code is being sent to me by email in 5 minutes. and yes they are sending it out now!

Won

todog said:

They also want 150€ for the CE, so yeah, lots of salt there.

Minsc

Gold Member
TurtleSnatcher said:
If you want beta access..

Preorder at Gamestop..

Saw this on Twitter

@GameStopCorp

StarCraft 2 Beta Access and Free 3-day Shipping with Pre-order at GameStop.com. http://ow.ly/1AX5h

Thanks, will try this out on my way home! Getting a beta code printed on my pre-order receipt is pretty sweet, and what I've been asking for from Blizzard!

If it works I'll be canceling on Amazon, that Gamestop pulls some pretty dirty punches if they're the only ones able to do this!

Cronox

Banned
Pre-ordered before the promotion, and now I have the beta code, but it doesn't seem that there's a way to change my shipping to the free 3 day. Am I really going to have to call gamestop customer service this for this...

hobart

I'm really excited for some of our GAFers getting a chance to pre-order and get into beta. Long overdue. For anyone even remotely on the fence about the game... don't be. If you are a SC, WC, or even an RTS fan...... pre-order the game... get yer code... and we'll see you in game!

Cronox said:
Pre-ordered before the promotion, and now I have the beta code, but it doesn't seem that there's a way to change my shipping to the free 3 day. Am I really going to have to call gamestop customer service this for this...
call or email. but calling is the fastest. just tell them to update your order to 3 day shipping.

btw. ID is DynamiteRave.dracyl. (US)

Looking for super noobs to play with (at least one that never really played RTS and want to learn SC2 as well :lol)

msv

DMPrince said:
Looking for super noobs to play with (at least one that never really played RTS and want to learn SC2 as well :lol)
That's me! You EU?

Post if you're EU or US people! You can't add anyone from the other siideee.

edit: When's this resetting biznich going to be over with? My friendslist n placements just keep getting reset and reset.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Heh, bummer. I got the beta code from Gamestop, and the site that they instruct you to enter the key on (www.gamestop.com/code) doesn't have a place to redeem a StarCraft 2 key. Doh!

Tried the key through battle.net, and it fits (when you exclude the hyphens), but is rejected there as well.

Must be that the Gamestop web monkeys haven't updated their site yet.

EDIT: HA! Refreshed the page and it's up now on the Gamestop site!! w00t!

EDIT 2: Hmmm ... they just instruct you to enter the key at battle.net. :| Must've mistyped mine, trying again.

EDIT 3: Yep, I mistyped it! Downloading now!

Insaniac

i'm surprised i don't see DTs that much as a form of harass, probably cause they are such a late tech (and usually ignored now for the robotics / high temp). They're great as they 1-shot all workers including scvs now, and just two or 3 of them can devastate a resource line.

Cheeto

Awesome, got one work buddy a key at gamestop and another key for another buddy who's on a cruise and might miss the chance to score one.

Top Bottom