• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

mcrae

MrMister said:
2qdtxqs.gif

rofl this gif is awesome, and appropriate.

a shame we cant play the custom maps though, imm getting tiiiiiiiiiired of the very few official maps avaliable, especially for 2v2

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
So gamestop is giving out some codes for preorders now. Looks like its just in time for the wipe/patch to simulate a larger launch day.

Corran Horn

Just had a match where I base raced...terran lifted off his last structure and had 3 banshees and I didnt have enough minerals for more probes but had an army. That was a long wait for victory just chilling at my base :lol

Trasher

-PXG- said:
Got a code from GameStop. I'm at 73% now. :)

I barely played the first game. I'm a complete SC scrub :p
Where do you live? I'm tempted to give my Gamestop a call and preorder the game. I want to get a code for my friend.

Apath

w3stfa11 said:
Probably already posted but for those who might've missed it (me).

StarCraft 2 Map Editor Hits This Week; Mac Beta Soon
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/63394
JEBKJBFKJNLHEHLFUIBNLIFBLEJOD

N:WJNBCLJIGUINOIENLSHNIOGHIOURHNUIHNSUIHFUINIUOEN

<BAHBFCHUKBHKEBLIUSXIDCBFHIBRIEHBD XIUCUILHILUE DXUICHIUG HIOUEHUIDXHIUBVU

Time to start selling my body for a beta key. Or hope the Editor gets leaked.
Corran Horn said:
So gamestop is giving out some codes for preorders now. Looks like its just in time for the wipe/patch to simulate a larger launch day.
I'm off to Gamestop!

Just called and they said they have them! Woo.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Won said:
Yumm, map editor!

And.....a Marauder buff? Ehhh..... *scratches head* I will wait and see.
My guesses

Immortal build time increase from 40 to 55
Immortal gas cost increase from 100 to 125
Reapers now require Engineering Bay (? something for 8 rax forward reapers... or maybe more waiting)
Concussive Shell research time reduced from 80 to 60
Forcefield no longer able to be cast on top of units

Ashhong

Hazaro said:
My guesses

Reapers now require Engineering Bay (? something for 8 rax forward reapers... or maybe more waiting)

that would be fucking horrible

Corran Horn

Doesnt seem like all gamestops got the code or have it yet...so make sure to call around first :lol
My roommate is happy.

Just saw Ultralisks for the first time today...too bad sentrys + immortals took them down easy with force fields

if they got codes up north they more than likely the south will get it tomorrow. that's how most game releases happens anyways. i'll call gamestop tomorrow. $5 for a beta key is worth it...... :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ashhong said:
[/B]

that would be fucking horrible
:D
I'm torn. Something needs to be done about it.
People have been saying to give them HP/Armor or changing cost to 75 (Unreasonable for those ling runbys early game)

Ashhong

DMPrince said:
if they got codes up north they more than likely the south will get it tomorrow. that's how most game releases happens anyways. i'll call gamestop tomorrow. $5 for a beta key is worth it...... :lol

which are refundable. i will look into getting gaf some keys from the store i used to work at tomorrow

Hazaro said:
:D
I'm torn. Something needs to be done about it.
People have been saying to give them HP/Armor or changing cost to 75 (Unreasonable for those ling runbys early game)

hp seems ok, but to not be able to place on top of units...it would be almost impossible to use on a surprise ling rush

Apath

Hazaro said:
My guesses

Aren't Reapers pretty much useless outside of the early game anyways?

And Forcefield's usefulness would drop a shit ton if you couldn't use it to split up armies.

Ashhong

Kenak said:
Aren't Reapers pretty much useless outside of the early game anyways?

true, but they have to delay those rushes somehow

DMPrince said:
i call dibs on first key you get. (assuming that there's none here)

:lol no promises. they might be dicks and make me preorder, and the first is going to a friend not on gaf

Apath

Ashhong said:

:lol no promises. they might be dicks and make me preorder, and the first is going to a friend not on gaf
If the rush fails it puts you at a decent disadvantage macro wise.

Trasher

Ashhong said:

I played a guy during placements last night that said he went 5-0 by just using the reaper rush strat. That's just stupid...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Kenak said:
If the rush fails it puts you at a decent disadvantage macro wise.
It doesn't.

MULEs make it up and the income is matched for the Toss if they go straight to chrono zealot to delay, then core -> chrono stalker.

Toss cannot chrono probes during this and the lost mining time is in favor of T.

Plus then you can just make mards and win. (Since no Immortals)

Won

Yeah, you probably need to micro the Reaper with your nose to fail with the rush.

Played a lot of 10 rax Reapers openers last week and even that screwed people over like nothing, though they deserve it! :p

Corum

Corran Horn said:

Is it possible to preorder from GameStop outside the US? :(

Woot just got into 1v1 gold :D all that practicing is paying off.

Edit: I just called my Gamestop to see if they are giving away beta codes, and they said they weren't aware of any such pre-order promotions, so wonder if it's a store by store basis or my store just hasn't received them yet?

Ashhong

Corum said:
Is it possible to preorder from GameStop outside the US? :(

i dont believe so...and i dont think they would give the code out online if you did

MisterAnderson said:
Woot just got into 1v1 gold :D all that practicing is paying off.

oh no, not this again. i dont thinki can stand the heartbreak 2 days in a row

Apath

Hazaro said:
It doesn't.

MULEs make it up and the income is matched for the Toss if they go straight to chrono zealot to delay, then core -> chrono stalker.

Toss cannot chrono probes during this and the lost mining time is in favor of T.

Plus then you can just make mards and win. (Since no Immortals)
I don't actually have the SC2 Beta so I cannot really talk from first hand experience, but from the countless shoutcasts I've seen, going Reaper harass is a decent set back for a Terran unless he can kill workers 2-1 or 3-1 for each of his Reapers.

Anyways couldn't the Terran make MULES and what not without the Reapers, thus being at a disadvantage compared to just doing straight MULES?

Recently I've come to notice my player color is ALWAYS green? Is this a bug? Like...my chosen or assigned color will usually be blue or red, but on my screen I'm green. But then when I go into the replay, it resets back to blue and red? WTF? Could have sworn my color was not always green a few days ago, but now its every single game.

Ashhong

Kenak said:
I don't actually have the SC2 Beta so I cannot really talk from first hand experience, but from the countless shoutcasts I've seen, going Reaper harass is a decent set back for a Terran unless he can kill workers 2-1 or 3-1 for each of his Reapers.

Anyways couldn't the Terran make MULES and what not without the Reapers, thus being at a disadvantage compared to just doing straight MULES?

well imo that says more to the advantage of the Terran overall, in that they have the MULES. but then using MULES means no orbital scan so its a small tradeoff.

and unless you suck at microing, or are just super slow in the reaper rush, you can kill 2-3 scv's per reaper.

MisterAnderson said:
Recently I've come to notice my player color is ALWAYS green? Is this a bug? Like...my chosen or assigned color will usually be blue or red, but on my screen I'm green. But then when I go into the replay, it resets back to blue and red? WTF? Could have sworn my color was not always green a few days ago, but now its every single game.

do you mean in the minimap? you're always green there iirc...

Kenak said:

The big thing is that doing this rush forces the protoss to kill their own economy to counter it and it is easier for terran to catch up economically because mules rape a mineral line.

Ashhong said:
do you mean in the minimap? you're always green there iirc...

No, the models have the green color on them (buildings/units/etc) but if I watch a replay of that game, the colors will revert to what they are supposed to be. Example: I will type "gl hf" to my opponent and my name will be red, but my unit colors are green. I go into replay mode and my unit colors are now red...

You probably toggled ally colors and didn't realize it. Check the bottom left buttons next time you're playing (i forget the hot key, maybe it's Alt-F?)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Kenak said:

unless he can kill workers 2-1 or 3-1 for each of his Reapers
:lol
Like Won said you have to run the reaper into the mineral line and not attack for the rush to fail.

I'm only laughing since it is so ridiculous on the current map pool.

A single reaper can stop mining for 20 seconds [20*9 = 180 minerals / Note that T is on mining parity and only needs 1 gas] (If there is no zealot out, then 10 seconds), deny the second gas, force cannons, force stalkers (Which you can just make mards from your forward rax to win).

Ashhong

Technosteve said:
i hate you starcraft 2 beta gaf, =(

you guys are just going to make it harder to get a good rank when retail ships =(

i see it more as a benefit. you could learn a lot here, and there will be tons and tons of new players that have never played that you will be ready to pwn wen retail comes out

Top Bottom