• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Technosteve said:
i hate you starcraft 2 beta gaf, =(

you guys are just going to make it harder to get a good rank when retail ships =(
Considering there is a usual pool of 5-8,000 players weekdays and 10,000-12,000 weekends in BETA.

There will be like fucking 500,000+ on launch weekend :lol
I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Any Toss players ever kill SC while playing?

'e' is probe and pylon, alt is for unit HP... Alt + E = Quit :lol

*Also any people in Copper or Bronze here is a fun(?) challenge made by Chill on TL:

Only look at your base, make sure you don't get supply blocked, make sure you make units and enough buildings to maintain production. Expand! Make more units (Constant worker production, no idle workers, etc.)!

Send entire army into his base, never look at it, keep making units.

If you have ever ended up with 2,000+ minerals this is for you!
Still happens to me so I am not exempt.

Ashhong

i have hp bars always on, so no :lol

i dont understand the challenge, is it supposed to help us win? so we just build what we want without worrying about him, and then send in an army?

Sloegr

Ashhong said:
i have hp bars always on, so no :lol

i dont understand the challenge, is it supposed to help us win? so we just build what we want without worrying about him, and then send in an army?

Sounds like macro practice without worrying about scouting or microing your units. For people new to the series, I can see how that'd be a useful drill.

Ashhong

ElJuice said:
Sounds like macro practice without worrying about scouting or microing your units. For people new to the series, I can see how that'd be a useful drill.

yea true, seems like a good way to learn to utilize your economy. but isnt a big part of macro the ability to do it while attacking your enemy? i know that for me that is the only time my economy goes up. and im bronze :(

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I just remembered I was helping my friend play (He is like 0-40 against me and his buddies) and all I told him to do was make gateways and stalkers in 2v2.

His buddy got demolished early so it was a 1v2.

"Stick a pylon in the middle of the map, make an observer, now just make stalkers and attack"
"Make stalkers, what are you doing in your base, nothing matters just make stalkers. Attack. More stalkers. Stop going to your base and wasting time getting upgrades, manging probes, you don't need to make pylons if you just attack " :lol

He ended up winning even though the other toss had like 6 carriers + ground army and the Terran wasn't that good.

Was really fun to watch.
Ashhong said:
yea true, seems like a good way to learn to utilize your economy. but isnt a big part of macro the ability to do it while attacking your enemy? i know that for me that is the only time my economy goes up. and im bronze :(
You don't need to micro if you have 30-50% more units!
Also this is just complete management of your economy. If you just do this you'll get into Gold probably.
Obviously if you scout + SEMI micro your effectiveness will skyrocket, but the core to the game is making units and having them pew pew each other.

Ashhong said:
At a higher level it is. At lower levels, whats the point of microing your units for a few seconds of life when you've got like 2k minerals and gas in the bank? Smarter to utilize macro over micro if you don't have the actions to deal with both.

Ashhong

FromTheFuture said:
At a higher level it is. At lower levels, whats the point of microing your units for a few seconds of life when you've got like 2k minerals and gas in the bank? Smarter to utilize macro over micro if you don't have the actions to deal with both.

where do you get the 2k of minerals? i thought the point was to be on top of the macro so you wouldnt really have leftover minerals if u dont micro the attacks? i will try this though...im definitely lower level and maybe i shouldnt be trying to micro so much

Sloegr

Ashhong said:
where do you get the 2k of minerals? i thought the point was to be on top of the macro so you wouldnt really have leftover minerals if u dont micro the attacks? i will try this though...im definitely lower level and maybe i shouldnt be trying to micro so much

That's what he's saying. You're less likely to accumulate extra resources if you're not microing or paying attention to your opponent's base. If you try the macro challenge and still end up with 2k leftover minerals, well, you have a long road ahead of you =P

Ashhong said:

His point was that having good micro skill can only go so far if your macro is off (hence what he was referring to when he said you have 2k minerals and gas in the bank). AKA you're correct, the point of the macro is so that you don't have minerals and gas going unused.

Edit: Beaten

Ashhong

alright, i'll do that more then.

is the best idea to focus on ground units if doing this "challenge"? i like air only because its easier to get into the bases (hate terran walls). i feel like ground units just get demolished as they walk up the ramp

IceMarker

My money is on tomorrow for release of the 'major content patch'. Quote me on it if you have to.

f0do2s.gif

Ashhong said:

is the best idea to focus on ground units if doing this "challenge"? i like air only because its easier to get into the bases (hate terran walls). i feel like ground units just get demolished as they walk up the ramp

Air is best at mainly harassing, but they can of course also be a devastating force especially if countering an opponent with not so much anti-air. If your opponent scouts you going air though it isn't too difficult to counter it. Although Protoss has the hardest time countering air units. Generally you probably want at least some ground support, going only air is only good as a situational strategy, like if your opponent masses lings and roaches or something like that. It all depends, but yeah, generally you don't want to "plan" to go straight to air from the get go. You typically never want to skip tiers of units in favor of teching because if your opponent scouts you teching you're going to get caught with your pants down.

Again, there are always exceptions, but I think to be safe this is okay advice...feel free to correct me people.

Edit: Does anyone want to play 2v2 or some 1v1's? I'm bored.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ashhong said:

There is no high ground advantage so an obs + immortal + Stalkers with blink just wreck fronts. imo

Ashhong said:

What race do you play? Try not to get into the habit of "I hate walls, so I'll make air" type of thing. Walls are not invincible. Instead of trying to figure out a way to get around whatever it is that you hate, (that is often riskier, may not work, and might even instantly lose you the game once your opponent knows what you're up to) try to create a solid strategy against it.

What league are you in? And what race? If you'd like, I'd love to offer some of my thoughts.

Ashhong

FromTheFuture said:
What race do you play? Try not to get into the habit of "I hate walls, so I'll make air" type of thing. Walls are not invincible. Instead of trying to figure out a way to get around whatever it is that you hate, (that is often riskier, may not work, and might even instantly lose you the game once your opponent knows what you're up to) try to create a solid strategy against it.

What league are you in? And what race? If you'd like, I'd love to offer some of my thoughts.

I used to play protoss, but found it too hard to win so i moved to zerg. been pretty much teching to mutas in 2v2 and winning like 80% of my games since. im silver 1v1, but havent played since my placement matches, and i would say im a bronze level 2v2 player. i would love to go back to protoss, but muta harass is just too much fun. your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. i always get steamrolled when i go up against walls as zerg...but then again i dont think ive ever made more than a total of 10 hydras since switching to zerg from protoss :lol

MisterAnderson, i'm up for some 2v2 if you are, ashhong.gaf

Calantus

i'm so sick of terran vs terran, i'm pretty good against any other race but terran just pisses me the fuck off.

Makes me want to switch to zerg, i hate warp gates so protoss is off limits.

Ashhong

well i did 14pool 15 hatch for the first time (usually do 10 pool, no hatch until way later) and wow my economy was so high... but then i got raped by mutas -_-

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Calantus said:
i'm so sick of terran vs terran, i'm pretty good against any other race but terran just pisses me the fuck off.

Makes me want to switch to zerg, i hate warp gates so protoss is off limits.
bisu.png

Dont hate the protoss

Procarbine said:
I freak out when I see a 3 supply depot wall, it's so much fun. 5 banelings --> speedling flood.

ALUMNUS. WE NEED TO PLAY.
I was on from 3 PM to 10 PM EST today, where were you?! I'm busy now though, so I guess we'll have to take care of it tomorrow?

mcrae

MisterAnderson said:
Air is best at mainly harassing, but they can of course also be a devastating force especially if countering an opponent with not so much anti-air. If your opponent scouts you going air though it isn't too difficult to counter it. Although Protoss has the hardest time countering air units. Generally you probably want at least some ground support, going only air is only good as a situational strategy, like if your opponent masses lings and roaches or something like that. It all depends, but yeah, generally you don't want to "plan" to go straight to air from the get go. You typically never want to skip tiers of units in favor of teching because if your opponent scouts you teching you're going to get caught with your pants down.

Again, there are always exceptions, but I think to be safe this is okay advice...feel free to correct me people.

pretty sound advice imo. personally, i go air because i get scared when im mostly ground and the enemy goes air. i feel trapped having to defend my base with ground anti air... so i just get air anti air, which in turn provides protection for air vs ground units, so i end up with an all air army. harrassing with air is one of the things i enjoy most in this game, and leads directly, or at least contributes greatly, to like 75% of my wins

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
FromTheFuture said:
I was on from 3 PM to 10 PM EST today, where were you?! I'm busy now though, so I guess we'll have to take care of it tomorrow?

I was doing work/watching the Penguins game, I made a post in the tournament thread asking you about it at about 5:30, but yeah, tomorrow works, when?

Apath

Well as it turns out, a Macbook that was bought in 2008 has a lot of trouble running SC2 on its lowest settings. I just played a game, and it got a little laggy early on. Didn't really affect the outcome of the match though:

I don't know any hot keys, kept mis-judging when workers would finish, and constantly had a HUGE excess of minerals. I didn't even start getting gas until I saw he had four or five stalkers -- which were totally out microing my zealots who couldn't even catch up. By the time I actually was able to start pumping stalkers, he already had an immortal and took out my expo.

I hope I get into the Copper League so I can practice =[

KiKaL

Sorry this probably has been asked but I didn't see it. Can this be installed and multiple machines just not ran at the same time? so could I install this on my pc and my mac when the mac client comes out?

celebi23

Zen said:
The Map Editor is practically its own games factory. :lol

I'm looking forward to 'StarCraft Ghost' being realized by fans (Also I knew that Nova was in the game but I guess the video confirms that she'll be a unit in the game).

Bad ass.

Oh yeah, I remember that video. It was crazy how detailed/advanced that "game" was :D

aznpxdd

Hype hype hype hype.

4v4 GAF games all night!!!

Kenak said:
Well as it turns out, a Macbook that was bought in 2008 has a lot of trouble running SC2 on its lowest settings. I just played a game, and it got a little laggy early on. Didn't really affect the outcome of the match though:

I don't know any hot keys, kept mis-judging when workers would finish, and constantly had a HUGE excess of minerals. I didn't even start getting gas until I saw he had four or five stalkers -- which were totally out microing my zealots who couldn't even catch up. By the time I actually was able to start pumping stalkers, he already had an immortal and took out my expo.

I hope I get into the Copper League so I can practice =[

Of course Macbooks would have trouble running SC2, it doesn't even have a dedicated graphic card?

Corran Horn

KiKaL said:
Sorry this probably has been asked but I didn't see it. Can this be installed and multiple machines just not ran at the same time? so could I install this on my pc and my mac when the mac client comes out?
Client isnt based on the account. You need to log in so you can have the client on as many PCs you want, but to play you need to login.

Apath

aznpxdd said:
Hype hype hype hype.

4v4 GAF games all night!!!

Of course Macbooks would have trouble running SC2, it doesn't even have a dedicated graphic card?
I was pre-pared for it. More like going "lol@me, I was justified to be cautious about it" rather than "FUCK!!!!!!!!!!"

IceMarker

Holy shit I just won one 1v1 and one 2v2 just by trying out a new fast MMM build and by god it's unstoppable! :lol

BRONZE LEAGUE HERE I COME after reset
2hhm23k.jpg

Corran Horn

MrMister said:
Holy shit I just won one 1v1 and one 2v2 just by trying out a new fast MMM build and by god it's unstoppable! :lol

BRONZE LEAGUE HERE I COME after reset
2hhm23k.jpg
that gif fits that statement perfectly.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
My God is expanding frustrating in this game. With so many units that can demolish buildings/builders in seconds, it's almost not worth ever expanding until you have a highly mobile army/run out of resources.

valenti said:
4v4..its about time.

who said 4v4? as far as we know it could just be mac beta and galaxy editor with no way to share maps.

Im serious though, has it actually been confirmed 4v4? All I've seen is galaxy editor.

Top Bottom