• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Akim

Banned
I'm so jealous. Pro tip: don't put your beta key in your wallet, leave it in your car, and then have your car get stolen. As soon as blizzcon people get in I will start crying.

Cday

Banned
I'm so used to watching Korean starcraft. Seeing Brad buy EVERYTHING for no apparent reason is painful to watch.

Pacey

Banned
Lathentar said:
Its also a listed bug for a BETA. Strong chance of getting fixed by gold.

which only draws my attention to the countless other game devs who still haven't fixed this problem.

incidentally, I hope this game has some good alt-tabage.

Onemic

Tried checking my battle.net account and I find out that I'm locked out of my account due to it asking me to put in an authenticator code when I've never purchased one before, so not only can I not see if I'm in the beta, I'm locked out of my battle.net account and all blizz games till this shit gets fixed.

So, I love you Blizzard, and I was unfortunate not to get a beta account whereas a good friend did. But let me just say...that for 1.5 years I've sent e-mails to a certain group of my friends about how excited I am about this game and the beta etc., and all they've done is made fun of me saying the game wasn't going to be that big of a deal and that I shouldn't look forward to it.

Both of them got beta invites, one of whom made a farce out of any passion that I had for the game. Neither will now allow me to play it as they want to "try it".

I know you chose this via systems specs, and via location, but the irony of your choices makes me a big, fat, sad, panda. I guess back to play H0N for me :(.

TheExodu5

Banned
Friend with an i7 920 and GTX 275 is reporting 80fps with no drops so far (though he hasn't fought any big battles yet). Funny thing is, it's 80fps in the menu too. Could just be hard capped at 80fps so it might not be indicative of performance.

Anyways, if this can hold 60fps on a GTX 275 maxed out I will be happy (though a bit surprised). I expect it to drop to 40-60 under the more strenuous circumstances in a regular match, and down to 15-20 in the most ridiculous Use Map Settings maps. That is just an educated guess. Depends on how many units they're capping the game at though.

Anyways, from the screens and videos, I think it looks ridiculously good. I think it looks much better than Dawn of War 2, to be honest. Much nicer parallax mapping, and no IQ destroying bloom. The interface and game are far less cluttered as well, and it's very easy to distinguish units from their surroundings (this is my main issue with DoW2 and WC3...units don't stand out enough due to graphical clutter).

Zzoram

TheExodu5 said:
Friend with an i7 920 and GTX 275 is reporting 80fps with no drops so far (though he hasn't fought any big battles yet). Funny thing is, it's 80fps in the menu too. Could just be hard capped at 80fps so it might not be indicative of performance.

Anyways, if this can hold 60fps on a GTX 275 maxed out I will be happy (though a bit surprised). I expect it to drop to 40-60 under the more strenuous circumstances in a regular match, and down to 15-20 in the most ridiculous Use Map Settings maps. That is just an educated guess. Depends on how many units they're capping the game at though.

Anyways, from the screens and videos, I think it looks ridiculously good. I think it looks much better than Dawn of War 2, to be honest. Much nicer parallax mapping, and no IQ destroying bloom. The interface and game are far less cluttered as well, and it's very easy to distinguish units from their surroundings (this is my main issue with DoW2 and WC3...units don't stand out enough due to graphical clutter).

Blizzard received a lot of feedback about visual clarity. I'm sure they know that it is very important if SC2 is going to succeed as a spectator sport like Broodwar.

Fugu

TheExodu5 said:

I don't know about the hard cap. I have a 4870x2 and the menus report 145 FPS.

EDIT: Does the matchmaking option work for anyone?

TheExodu5

Banned
Zzoram said:
Blizzard received a lot of feedback about visual clarity. I'm sure they know that it is very important if SC2 is going to succeed as a spectator sport like Broodwar.

I figured they must have. With the first videos, I was extremely disappointed with the visuals of the game. I'll have to go back to them and see what changed, but I do remember that there was simply too much going on and I couldn't tell what was happening. Clarity is definitely of utmost importance and it's something no other RTS gets right.

traveler

Not Wario
For the rest of you actually in the beta, feel free to add me- username is Gray.grayfour. I've played a decent amount of SC before, but, skill wise, I might as well be a novice.

Zzoram

This is so painful. I really hope they let in thousands more every day. They delayed the beta several months to beef up Battle.net, so surely it must be able to handle a million players by now.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So is the beta sharable?

Because then all the SC fans here can be awesome and share with me.
If I get in I will do sharing also.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Door2Dawn said:
No as in because it is tied to the hardware of account or what?

Why is it not possible for a person to share the account and play at a different time?

Don't crush my dreams :[

commissar

Blizzard just sent out the email invites now!
omg-1.jpg

Top Bottom