• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

TheExodu5

Banned
Anyone try out invisibility on units? My friend says it looks awful and his characters are all opaque.

Thing is, I've noticed that my Heroes of Newerth invisibility turns my character opaque as well now...I wonder if it's a driver issue.

edit: turns out he was exaggerating about the opaqueness. Definitely doesn't look that great though.

invis.Jpg

Xabora

Listening to the soundtrack now.

Turns out SC2Data and SC2Assets are just renamed MPQ files.
Another thing, no LUA this time around for the UI coding, its all done in SWF with linked CWF Sets.

o_O

ಥ_ಥ

I'm so sad I didn't make it to the beta. Gamespy is reporting that those were "all" the invites that are going to be sent. Can anyone confirm this from other sites?

Xabora

Lasthope106 said:
o_O

ಥ_ಥ

I'm so sad I didn't make it to the beta. Gamespy is reporting that those were "all" the invites that are going to be sent. Can anyone confirm this from other sites?
Shacknews has blizzard quoted its going to be in waves.
Also Shacknews has the client up for download.

jett

D-Member
TheExodu5 said:
Anyone try out invisibility on units? My friend says it looks awful and his characters are all opaque.

Thing is, I've noticed that my Heroes of Newerth invisibility turns my character opaque as well now...I wonder if it's a driver issue.

edit: turns out he was exaggerating about the opaqueness. Definitely doesn't look that great though.

invis.Jpg

Are those "ultra" textures?

Tremis

This man does his research.
is there no one at 1up that knows starcraft? lol! seriously, take away their beta key and give it to me.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Tremis said:
is there no one at 1up that knows starcraft? lol! seriously, take away their beta key and give it to me.
why do you have to be good at starcraft as a requirement to participate in the beta?

if anything it's completely in line with blizzard's strategy to bring in more casual gamers to the starcraft universe.

Johann

GhostRidah said:
tech trees

Let's see changes from the earlier versions:

Protoss:
- Immortal moved from Twilight Council to Robo Facility
- Obelisk has gone the way of the dodo. It's been replaced by more functionality to the Nexus. Old news by now.

Terran:
- Reaper moved to Barracks. Mercenary Compound removed.

Zerg:
- Lurker Den gone.
- Hydralisk Den moved to Lair tech.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Tremis said:
All fired/quit Im guessing :lol

Watching other streams now, god I want this.

Think ima bootup starcraft1 on laptop and play while watching :(

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
I made a game to fight against the AI just to test out some of the Terran changes, but the only AI setting was "Very Easy." On a map designed for six people it didn't even expand beyond a single base and had gotten a few Hydrolisks up when I was invading with Battlecruisers and Thor.

Thor is awesome, by the way. The only thing that annoys me is his Arnold Schwarzenegger voice and the fact that the lighting inside the thing makes it look like he's at a rave. But the ability to stun and deal hundreds of points of damage using their special ability makes them my favorite new unit by far.

The also have a buttload more quotes implemented when you keep clicking on your units (at least for the standard Marine, who was the only one I tried it with).

Ultimately it looks like it's changed a lot more about the game than I was expecting - I had it in my head that they didn't want to do much but add a new super unit or two, but lots of stuff about the Terran tech tree seems different. Missile turrets no longer act as detectors (there's a separate unit for that), flame troops and Vulcans are merged into one unit, and you can use your communications upgrade at your command center to add a one-time permanent bonus of 8 supply to a supply depot. It's neat stuff, and I'm going to have to look into how the other races have changed.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
JSnake said:
How do you play against bots?

Create a game, chose a map, double-click on the map you like, then when you're waiting for another player to join you click the AI button. As I said before, the only option I had available was "Very Easy" and it was dumb as a sack of bricks, so you might want to choose a really small map. That six big-ish map I was on was just boring after a point.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
oh wow, i just saw the installer up on a private torrent tracker. :\ wonder how many groups are trying to lay claim on a fake battle.net solution.

Top Bottom