• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

clav

zoukka said:
Eh more like game breaking.
Hopefully, Blizzard patches this by the end of tomorrow.

Probably requires another ladder reset as I don't know how many players out there exploiting this.

claviertekky said:
Hopefully, Blizzard patches this by the end of tomorrow.

Probably requires another ladder reset as I don't know how many players out there exploiting this.

Eh ladder corrects itself.. and its beta.. they prob wont care about that as much.

If it was retail yea i can see a reset.

Yea was wondering that about cancelling my egg when I screwed up.. didn't even notice or think you could do that.

Anyways..

Just finished my placement.. placed in platinum. Now to never touch 1v1 again like I always do! I just find it boring.

My last game was truly epic though.

It was on Metropolis and the guy went mech with Terran and I went Zergling Muta. He stopped my initial rush because he fast expanded and laid out seige tanks behind a bunker wall at his natural.. had no idea.. :(

I quickly expanded far away.. then went mutas.. Made a nice ball and hid them. Sent them in and got most of his scvs.. while taking out a good majority of his tech labs on his factories. He did manage to pop out 2-3 thors but my ball was big enough to take those out.. Eventually he was able to over power me with thors popping out.

I backed off..

Then he sent a full army of hellions and seige tanks into my base.. TONS. Thankfully I backed out my 6 horribly last standing mutas and fought those off.. then I had a few extra being made and killed the few thors and seige tanks left. Unfortunately i lost my main base. :(

I then tech switched to Roaches/Hydras.. made 3 hatcheries and just pumped out units HELLA fast. Like 120+ pop in 5 mins. Sent them in.. and he had no idea i tech switched and I ran right through all his hellions and Thors. He had a few seige tanks but they died. Then I won :D

gooood stuff.

BTW - Are replays dead in this patch ? :(

JWong said:
They might reset because they need to mine proper data from testing.
Pretty sure their backend they can just start reporting internally from a specific day and toss out anything prior.. The ladder stuff is just a pretty picture for us to see.. they can control all those numbers and what they want to see for themselves in the backend..

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Seems like every SC1 unit is in SC2 at some point.
You could probably make a SC1 in SC2 graphics mod if you wanted :lol

Gribbix

Shack News posted an interesting interview with Chris Sigaty (Lead Producer).

Video Recording Feature:
There are issues that we don't have to time to get to right now, but ultimately I think video recording will be a feature that we release whether it's in a patch or with an upcoming project. I definitely think it's within the lifetime of StarCraft 2 that will come out.
Post-release eSports/Tournament Patch:
Our first major focus after we ship [the game] is going to be tournaments and eSports. We will have a big patch probably around four months after we launch the game that will add a lot of things like Pro and Semi-Pro leagues and allow people to see who really is the best of the best.
Heart of the Swarm:
...we're estimating about 18 months from release of Wings of Liberty to when the next one comes out. That's purely speculative, honestly. Historically, it's taken us about a year-WarCraft III: The Frozen Throne is a good example-but you'll see the sum-total package [in Wings of Liberty] has raised the bar and there's a lot more to do with StarCraft II's expansions. I think 18 months is probably fairly accurate.

Also, it looks like Zeratul has some sort of leap ability in this campaign screenshot:
sc50db2.jpeg

Was placed in gold league, and won a few early games. But now I've lost like 6 in a row and can't win to save my life. Every game is either a proxy, or reaper harass, or my ally get rushed, or early air, etc. I've yet to play a "regular" game. I rarely get caught with my pants down by those strategies (well reaper rushes fuck me over still), but each time my ally gets fucked.

remz

The patch "base\Mods\Liberty.SC2Mod\Base.SC2Data\TriggerLibs\MeleeAI.galaxy" could not be applied. (Invalid source file size: expected 49197, actual 49396.) If this problem persists, you may be able to solve it by uninstalling and then reinstalling the game. If you are unable to correct this problem, please contact Blizzard Technical Support. (BNUpdate::pTCApply

noooooooooooooo! :( I can't stop this error from happening!

mr stroke

Gribbix said:
True, but the arching dust trail suggests that he's leaping.

In the interview I posted, Sigaty says that they're still 'targeting a mid-year release.'

Really?

Odd to think a game this big could come out in the coming months with out a release date announced yet?

Ashhong

mr stroke said:
Really?

Odd to think a game this big could come out in the coming months with out a release date announced yet?

to be fair most retailers are reporting late june/early july as their release date.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
AKSJFSAKLGJHLKSAJGHLAKJGE

I KEEP LOSING EVEN WHILE HAVING ECONOMY ADVANTAGE.

NEED MORE GATES.

NEED MORE IMMORTALS.

FUCK FUCK FUCKING MARAUDERS. BLINK IS 150/150 FOR A PURELY UTILITY SKILL WHILE THEY GET FUCKING FOR WHAT, 100/100 AND IT INCREASES DPS AS WELL. OH THEY TAKE SOME DAMAGE BOO HOO GUESS WHAT A RED MARA CAN STILL TAKE DOWN A PYLON BY ITSELF.

THAT IS FUCKING RETARDED.

I have never been so angry the entire beta.

IceMarker

SAME HERE I KEEP FUCKING LOSING EVEN THOUGH I TECH STRAIGHT TO MMM EVEN AGAINST NOOBS I GUESS I DON'T SCOUT OR EXPAND ENOUGH GOD THIS IS PISSING ME OFF ALL OVER AGAIN

Current record as of this patch 'n' post, 3-4.

Haly

Man you have no room to complain.

You have: Early anti air, Early DPS/meatshield, direct counter to all protoss units and the reaper rush if you felt like being cheap.

What the fuck do I have.

200/200 to make my T1 unit viable... AT TECH 2.

It's pretty frustrating how "perfect" MM+1 is, where "+1" is your choice of Raven, Ghosts, Tanks, Medivac, Vikings.

You have meat shield, heavy dps and pinprick dps all rolled into one. And then you can sprinkle it with spices to do whatever. It like a god damn hot dog.

Even with a Sentry/Stalker/Zealot/Colossi-Immortal-HT ball I still have to carefully juggle unit ratio, micro warp ins, forcefield, guardian shield, storm, micro the Colossi away from air and the immortal behind the zealots. Not to mention train thermal lance, charge and storm to do what, make a third of my army reasonably viable.

Oh right and I can't just lift this army into your base if the front entrance is blocked no. To do that I need to get warp prisms as well except...

Oh wait is that a viking/marine-ball? There goes my immortals!

mcrae

Halycon said:
Man you have no room to complain.

You have: Early anti air, Early DPS/meatshield, direct counter to all protoss units and the reaper rush if you felt like being cheap.

What the fuck do I have.

200/200 to make my T1 unit viable... AT TECH 2.

It's pretty frustrating how "perfect" MM+1, where X is your choice of Raven, Ghosts, Tanks, Medivac, Vikings, is.

You have meat shield, dps and small hits all rolled into one. And then you can sprinkle it with spices to do whatever. It like a god damn hot dog.

Even with a Sentry/Stalker/Zealot/Colossi-Immortal-HT ball I still have to carefully juggle unit ratio, micro warp ins, forcefield, guardian shield, storm, micro the Colossi away from air and the immortal behind the zealots. Not to mention train thermal lance, charge and storm.

Oh right and I can't just lift this army into your base if the front entrance is blocked no. To do that I need to get warp prisms as well except.

Oh wait is that a viking/marine-ball? There goes my immortals!

the funny part about this is that the interview just posted a few replies up states that TvZ is within a 1% win/loss rate, ZvP, is as well, but P wins over T 55% of the time

Sloegr

mcrae said:
the funny part about this is that the interview just posted a few replies up states that TvZ is within a 1% win/loss rate, ZvP, is as well, but P wins over T 55% of the time

I wonder how those stats look in copper league vs. silver league vs. platinum league. How does the win rate look in short, rush games vs. longer, economic games? Etc., etc.

Balancing a game with 'just' 3 races up to a competitive standard has got to be such a bitch.

Haly

mcrae said:
I have a theory of why this is

Because 90% of terran players think spamming mara will win them the game (because it does if you don't counter it immediately), and the toss player just goes immortal and wins. Unfortunately, I seem to be playing against the 10% of terrans who are actually smart. Who'll mix in Marines and Ghosts to beat down my immortals or just sit outside nice and comfy with their tanks and slowly work their way in.

The QQ for-- I mean, feedback forum seems to back me up on this with the rash wave of NERF IMMORTAL threads last week. I'm not sure where they went now, maybe because Marauders got buffed they're going to find something else to complain about.

raphier

Banned
mcrae said:
Sounds like Terran noobs can't win protoss, so they make it easier for terran :/
(Marauder Spam MMM Expected) On serious note I think blizzard is hurting fun with scientific results.

Sloegr

raphier said:
Sounds like Terran noobs can't win protoss, so they make it easier for terran :/
(Marauder Spam MMM Expected) On serious note I think blizzard is hurting fun with scientific results.

It also seems like newer players whine the loudest about balance, since they do not have a deeper understanding of why their strategy failed against their opponent. I still don't know much about the game (hell, I forgot that ghosts were good against Protoss in SC2 until Haly mentioned it above), but I worry players of my skill level will have too large an impact on the balancing of the game, at least in the short term. I REALLY hope that I'm wrong on that.

mbmonk said:
Noob here (terrible RTS player in general) add me please.

mbmonk.funkytown

US, East Coast

Later

Added you. You can get your vengeance for the draft spoilers :D

Ponn

Banned
Need some advice. I was going to build a new PC but due to some business opportunities I need to spend what I have on a portable solution. I don't have a lot to spend, $500 - $600 and i'm looking at these two laptops. I'm not looking for Starcraft 2 to run at high settings or anything, just reasonably. I'm hoping someone here has experience with either of these two machines and Starcraft 2 and can give me some idea of which one to go with.

first is a Compaq, heres the spec page

The other one is the Asus netbook 1201N with the Nividia Ion chip and dual core Atom.

From what i'm seeing they both will play the game at low settings but i'm just wondering which would be better. I'm not sure if the processors at that level will make a huge difference or if it comes down to the difference between Nvidia Ion or Mobility Radeon HD 4200.

Haly

MrMister said:
STILL LOSING HALY AND JUST NOW AGAINST A PROTOSS WITH VOID RAYS, HOW ABOUT YOU?
STOPPED PLAYING OUT OF RAGE AND I NEED SLEEP.

Also vikings counter void rays, marines too. Scan that shit down then counter.

Also, either scan your base or put a turret in between your ramp and your CC to kill any scouting probes.

My main issue isn't with win ratio between TvP but how easy it is to play T as opposed to P.

It's really mind numbingly simple. Scouting/invis? Lay down a scan. Extra energy? Call down some MULES. Doing a push? Throw extra supplies to keep pumping units. Want to expand? Make a CC and then float it to an island. Hide behind a solid wall with ranged T1 units. Hop over cliffs early game to harass. Slow down units from getting away and stim to chase/run. Primary support unit, the medivac, is also a carrier, so it turns your ball of death into a flying ball of death. Ghosts needs no training at all to be a great unit. Vikings as go-to air, tech into BCs with Yamato cannon against turtles. Seige tanks to contain and defend. Wall fell down? Lift off and laugh at the puny lings/lots.

As toss, the most convenient feature I have is warp in except it needs to be strictly microed to churn out a stream of units. Chrono boost is great except it's existence forces toss units to require just a little bit more build time in order to prevent boost abuse, likewise, it needs a lot of micro. Good forcefielding also needs a lot of micro. Storm, Blink, Graviton, are all micro heavy. Maybe at top level play protoss has the edge over terran but I'm not korean and I don't have 200 APM so watching terran players attack-move into my base, while hitting stim every now and then, and queueing up units to replace anything that dies is really frustrating.

Hell, zerg might even be more complicated because they're naturally handicapped for being stuck in T1-T2 the entire game. They're forced to play a bleeding/macro game. Terran is more zerg-like than zerg at the moment.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
whoever wrote the galaxy editor for SC2 really needs to take a class in interface design - probably the reason why the game was delayed so long... because it took a year and a half to make a single map

fanboi

Banned
DopeyFish said:
whoever wrote the galaxy editor for SC2 really needs to take a class in interface design - probably the reason why the game was delayed so long... because it took a year and a half to make a single map

If you can say delayed when the release date has been "It will be released when it is finished" ...

IceMarker

Rage has ended for me, figured out after winning 3 straight matches and finally getting that achievement, that it was a timing problem, I didn't attack at proper times which led to my minor losing streak.

Feels good man. :lol

DopeyFish said:
Also, the editor's legacy map import function doesn't seem to work as well with SC1 maps as I'd hoped. It treats cliffs in SC1 as gentle slopes in SC2 instead of just well... cliffs in SC2.

fanboi

Banned
If anyone wants to have a huge YouTube SC channel, do a HDNoobCraft where you cast non pro games! Much funnier! And you will learn what NOT to do.
:lol

Top Bottom