• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Ashhong

TurtleSnatcher said:
Yea - If they fix the zergling stuff then yea.

If not im gonna wait.

BTW - The new terran scan is overly obnoxious now. Holy crap. Can you lay a larger tanned see through circle on my town?

i forgot, but is that tan area exactly what they can see now? i liked the look of it before but if this is the case its kinda nice

Ferrio said:
So why is there so many damn terrans?

As a noob starcraft player, I'll weigh in. They are the most conventional to play. And are the first campaign of the first game. So its the one most people have at least spent some time with, and probably the one campaign that was completed

webrunner

As someone not in the beta can I just say..

The game's not even out! C'mon, guys! Don't be all tourney-level micro on me yet! I'm going to be months and months behind on launch day :(

Sai-kun

Banned
My game just crashed while I was playing. Damn. :lol Also I think someone named "questionable" sent me a message while I was playing! We should play, if you read this.

Deadstar

So I played my first three placement matches last night and got absolutely destroyed. I won a few small battles but would then be overwhelmed by the enemy's next attack. I only played as Terran and Protoss against other people but tried Zerg against the comp.

If anyone wants to play you can add me. My name is "Deadstar.killer". I'm not sure if you know the first and secondary part of my name or how that system works.

I'm going to practice so I won't be horrible. :D

Exhumed

Did my placement matches last night. Did horribly. 1/5 wins. My win was with ZvZ, kept the pressure up with lings/roaches, then expanded and teched to hydras and finally to mutas. Long match the guy kept running and trying to nydus new bases in.

Once I hit bronze it was just a streak of losses. I just cant seem to match their army sizes. With with proper scouting I appear to right on track with my build order. I might be teching too soon and not expanding as soon as I should be, which would explain my army size issue.

I can't seem to do well against terrans with zerg or toss. Banshees have made my life miserable. Stalkers/Hydras seem to work but then they whip out MMM balls which have been a nightmare still unsure of how to counter that. I have been able to tech storm and do well against them but that usually doesn't happen before they come after me in non-practice matches. I think adding some speed banelings to my ling/roach army might help while the hydras take care of the banshees. I've been able to scout well enough to find out they are going that route, but any counter attempts and the MMM ball appears out of no where and tears me apart.

Overall, as toss I have had success with blink/warp prism base jumping but during that time they steam roll my base as I steam roll theirs. Terran lift their buildings and hide them while the MMM ball hunts down my last remaining forces. Happened about 5 times so far....:lol Toss and Zerg have fallen pretty easily to this so far anyhow.

I do pretty well against Zerg. Although I did get owned in a PvZ match. Mass lings in the beginning and I couldn't push. Ended up getting swarmed by mutas which picked off my stalkers and then the lings came in and overran me. Honestly going to have to try out that strategy as it seemed to work VERY well against toss. :lol

Enough ranting, game is excellent and I'm having a blast. Just trying desperately to figure out how to counter some of this stuff.

As always, I'm always open some matches with you guys. If you are new and still learning I'd love to try some team matches against the AI or even some good ol 1v1 for some build order practice. Send a PM and I'll make sure to add ya! :D

Won

Ferrio said:
So why is there so many damn terrans?

You mean why do so many play Protoss?

It's overall pretty even. Sometimes you just get a weird "streak". Stopped playing Protoss after 5 mirrors in a row.

Calantus said:
Seems like the new patch is killing video cards (well not completely, but it's bringing an overheating problem with it)

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html...04331&sid=5000

I'm also having the problem.

Why does this stuff happen so often lately? :/

Halycon said:
This is like telling me to go play pyro because you keep sapping my sentries.

Fuck that shit, I'm going to knock your brains out with my wrench and just keep building sentries until you give up.

lol but thats exactly the point. In TF2 if you can only play one class effectively then you're much worse off than the guy who's mastered all of them. Play another race! build up your win counts with larva cancel hacks. use mmm like your life depended on it.

Not only do you need to play terran and zerg because you know exactly how you've lost as protoss to them more than anyone else (by sticking to protoss only, yuck) but by playing terran and zerg and using exactly what's given you the most trouble as toss as soon as you start losing to some awesome toss strategy youll know exactly what to do next time you play toss!

Stop hiding out in your rut of losing to terran and zerg and play as them for awhile. Then go back to toss if you want, 50x better than you were before you left.

hobart said:
For those interested in what the Zergling rush looks like... or if the explanation wasn't good for you... HDStarcraft posted a nice video to showcase it.

Cheap Zergling Rush

TL thread has gotten pretty epic over it... haha. I wouldn't be surprised to see a reset following this fix. We'll see tho!

HDStarcraft is officially sickening. He's not even playing, like an actual MATCH, he's just playing to show off a cheap strategy...AND HES SPAMMING HIS STUPID CLICKS AND APM.

Seeing that makes me puke a little in my mouth.

fanboi

Banned
Ice Monkey said:
HDStarcraft is officially sickening. He's not even playing, like an actual MATCH, he's just playing to show off a cheap strategy...AND HES SPAMMING HIS STUPID CLICKS AND APM.

Wut?

His opponent does the same ;) And spamming is a thing alot of players do... to keep em warm.

Minsc

Gold Member
Ice Monkey said:

Yea, I was a bit disappointed that wasn't an actual match, I wanted to see it authentically. Got my beta code though, so I guess I'll probably be regretting those words soon!

fanboi said:
Wut?

His opponent does the same ;) And spamming is a thing alot of players do... to keep em warm.

I wonder if there are any good videos of someone beating a 150APM player using only 50APM, or something to that nature. That'd be damned embarrassing for the 150APM, they're using 3x the effort for worse results! :lol

Cronox

Banned
I don't get why there can't be simply 3 buttons, relating to primary, secondary, and tertiary unit abilities. It just seems like the button context for unit abilities favors the microing people. I don't need to look down to type, but when it comes to unit abilities, I usually have to look down at my keyboard to find the right buttons.

Unless there's a way to change this...

Ice Monkey said:

It's really not a big deal at all, dude.

HD is a caster, he doesn't even have to make instructional videos but he does so at your benefit - so chill.

Ri'Orius

Played my first three games against human opponents last night. Went 0-3.

First was PvP: he cannoned my natural. I tried to be sneaky and fly a couple Void Rays around the map to snipe his nexus (Obs told me he had no defense in his main), but botched the shift-click business and flew them right over the cannons -.-. Still, not too bad for my first game.

Next two were PvT, and in each game, I got harassed early game (Reapers one game, Banshees the other) and never really recovered. Should I be cannoning my mineral line, perhaps? I tried that vs the Banshees, but even with two cannons they could still reach assimilators...

Still haven't gone PvZ yet. Hopefully this weekend I can put in some good hours. Lovin' the Grid hotkeys, though; almost glad I didn't get into beta before they came out, allowing me to use them from the get-go.

I don't get why there can't be simply 3 buttons, relating to primary, secondary, and tertiary unit abilities. It just seems like the button context for unit abilities favors the microing people. I don't need to look down to type, but when it comes to unit abilities, I usually have to look down at my keyboard to find the right buttons.

Unless there's a way to change this...

Try the Grid hotkey setup. It'll change all of your hotkeys to be the appropriate key on your keyboard geographically speaking (the 5x3 grid in the corner maps to QWERT, ASDFG, ZXCVB). I'm a fan.

Oh yeah, ID is RiOrius.eternal ; is there a list I should add that to or something?

ToD_

So I got my beta key in yesterday (thanks Amazon!). I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but tonight I will. I'm a little worried, though. I haven't played starcraft since a little after broodwar came out, and never played online. From what I remember, I never fared well in the single player portion either!

I'm genuinely interested in learning how to play, and wouldn't be too happy if I lose interest in playing after a 10x lose streak :lol

Basically, it would be nice if I could play a few matches with someone on the same level as me (like level -0). If anyone is up for some practice matches, please let me know.
Drooit.drooit is my ID.

ToD_ said:
So I got my beta key in yesterday (thanks Amazon!). I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but tonight I will. I'm a little worried, though. I haven't played starcraft since a little after broodwar came out, and never played online. From what I remember, I never fared well in the single player portion either!

I'm genuinely interested in learning how to play, and wouldn't be too happy if I lose interest in playing after a 10x lose streak :lol

Basically, it would be nice if I could play a few matches with someone on the same level as me (like level -0). If anyone is up for some practice matches, please let me know.
Drooit.drooit is my ID.
omg let's play. we have the same skill level :lol.

DMPrince.dmprince.

Won

Minsc said:
I wonder if there are any good videos of someone beating a 150APM player using only 50APM, or something to that nature. That'd be damned embarrassing for the 150APM, they're using 3x the effort for worse results! :lol

In one of my replays I saw that my opponent had like 190 APM in the beginning. But 3 early Reapers were way too much for him and I killed his expansion later on with a single tank. :lol

Hugbot

ToD_ said:
Drooit.drooit is my ID.
omg let's play. we have the same skill level :lol.

DMPrince.dmprince.

I'm in just about the same boat, Spaceman.tim if you want another person who is really, really bad at starcraft. I'm not on too much because of work, but would definitely enjoy some practice.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Mudkips said:
The only thing it keeps warm is the horseshit coming out of their mouth.
They do it to keep their epeen hard.

You need to relax. I do it too, HD's justification for it is it's more difficult to sit there and ramp up to 100 or w/e APM after doing nothing for the first 4 minutes of the game. I agree with him, keep yourself doing something the entire time and it makes the whole game smoother, even though I only get up to about 80 APM

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
shagg_187 said:
Is it just me or that Battlecruiser is fucking useless for units other than light?

I've seen some pretty epic BC usage. In mass they're great, and Yamato lets them either wreck bases, defensive structures, or problematic enemy units.

Corum

Finally got into the beta, and it is installed and patched but whenever I try to run it, it loads and then I get the error "Starcraft 2 has stopped working". I read that the EU battle.net servers might be down or is this a problem on my end?

LowParry

I don't remember the name of the unit for Terrans but the one that can jump over walls or whatever. Fucking annoying when they come early on. It's had me change my rotation up so I have a solid defense while building a smaller army. Hella fun though. Add me if anyone wants a newb player.

Downplay.ccrook - US

Ice Monkey said:

Uh thats the point. Hes not playing a match to show the problem with the new patch and warning people to not play ladder if you listen to him.

He's just giving a heads up. Its actually nice to see it cause I had no idea.. until I read here then saw it in person with him doing it. And his opponent did it as well :|

Calm down Ice :p

bleahy

Neo Member
Just got off the phone with Blizzard. Balance team is aware of the issue and there will be a patch/hotfix today to deal with the Zerg larvae issue.

They wouldn't tell me what the fix will be, if it's intended that larvae canceling will give you back resources or not, but this should go away quickly!

JWong

Banned
Ice Monkey said:

It's like you put your fingers in your ear and yelled "LALALALALA" because you didn't even hear his explanation.

dorkimoe

If anyone wants to add me. I've never actually played
yet haha. I was patching all night. But ingame name is dorkimoe.dorkimoe. We will
probably lose. But it will
be fun!

Sai-kun

Banned
Wow. Just played a 2v2 for an hour. Got my shit wrecked. :lol Lesson learned: Don't actually play against real people. I need someone to teach me how to play!

sai.kun is my ID thing :<

Ri'Orius

Shambles said:
Just because he's angry doesn't mean he's wrong. APM is a joke as a measuring tool of a player.

Of course. You measure a player by how often he wins and against what caliber opponents.

Maintaining high APM (even when just spamming clicks to stay alert) helps you win against high caliber opponents.

It's not everything, but it's not nothing. You'd be a fool to discount it entirely.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Shambles said:
Just because he's angry doesn't mean he's wrong. APM is a joke as a measuring tool of a player.

No one's saying you're good because of your APM, HD literally only does it for himself, it's not like he sits there with APM up when he's casting his games.

Minsc

Gold Member
TurtleSnatcher said:
Uh thats the point. Hes not playing a match to show the problem with the new patch and warning people to not play ladder if you listen to him.

He's just giving a heads up. Its actually nice to see it cause I had no idea.. until I read here then saw it in person with him doing it. And his opponent did it as well :|

Calm down Ice :p

So I missed the exact issue because this thread started moving very fast, and didn't quite understand what happened in the video (other than like 10+ zergling spawned at one point and they ran them to the other base), but how exactly does the bug work?

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
bleahy said:
Just got off the phone with Blizzard. Balance team is aware of the issue and there will be a patch/hotfix today to deal with the Zerg larvae issue.

They wouldn't tell me what the fix will be, if it's intended that larvae canceling will give you back resources or not, but this should go away quickly!

It's the larvae existing after the cancel that's the issue.

The Lamonster said:
It's really not a big deal at all, dude.

HD is a caster, he doesn't even have to make instructional videos but he does so at your benefit - so chill.

there isnt ANY ANY ANY justification for it though with a 12 ling rush with 6 pool. I'm sorry there just isnt. It's almost the exact reason why they are going to nerf it to the ground soon, because it requires no effort whatsoever and you come up with 12 lings and bam you win.

sit....watch drones harvest...build larva...wait ~10 seconds....cancel larva....build larva....wait 10 seconds.......cancel larva....build pool....build larva...wait 10 secs....cancel larva....build larva....wait 10 secs...cancel larva.....build 12 lings....attack with everything.

YOU CANT DO ANYTHING ELSE in those ten seconds you are waiting to cancel larva.

He didnt even have drones back at the base because he attacked with them.

You guys need to watch the video before you spout this bullshit nonsense that he was ramping up for some later part of the game in that video specifically. THAT is what i meant. Dont just blanket defend people who spam APM. Sometimes, SOMETIMES it's actually just a sickening nervous habit that doesnt improve jack shit that has no place in some youtube video the guy puts up.

I don't yell at people for spamming APM in normal matches where they need to "warm up their hands" or whatever else they want to do that they think helps them win the game. In this video, he didnt need to do it, and all I could think of while watching it was this:

cartman32.gif

fanboi

Banned
Minsc said:
So I missed the exact issue because this thread started moving very fast, and didn't quite understand what happened in the video (other than like 10+ zergling spawned at one point and they ran them to the other base), but how exactly does the bug work?

Cancel egg -> Larva remains still while hatch creates a new (before it was max 3 larvas, now unlimited)

Top Bottom