• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Ashhong

fanboi said:
If anyone wants to have a huge YouTube SC channel, do a HDNoobCraft where you cast non pro games! Much funnier! And you will learn what NOT to do.
:lol

i would do this if i was any good at commentaries. id be more than happy to lend my crappy replays though :lol

fanboi

Banned
Ashhong said:
i would do this if i was any good at commentaries. id be more than happy to lend my crappy replays though :lol

hahaha ;)

Actually, I believe that you could get a reaaaally big channel if you did it right.
To bad me engrish might not be up to par (or have the time...)

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Halycon said:
AKSJFSAKLGJHLKSAJGHLAKJGE

I KEEP LOSING EVEN WHILE HAVING ECONOMY ADVANTAGE.

NEED MORE GATES.

NEED MORE IMMORTALS.

FUCK FUCK FUCKING MARAUDERS. BLINK IS 150/150 FOR A PURELY UTILITY SKILL WHILE THEY GET FUCKING FOR WHAT, 100/100 AND IT INCREASES DPS AS WELL. OH THEY TAKE SOME DAMAGE BOO HOO GUESS WHAT A RED MARA CAN STILL TAKE DOWN A PYLON BY ITSELF.

THAT IS FUCKING RETARDED.

I have never been so angry the entire beta.
You downplay Blink's usefulness.

If you have enough stalkers it has potential to do the following against terrans:

-Shuts down air harass
-Shuts down ledge siege
-Shuts down wall in
-Shuts down island expansions
-Shuts down the ability to flee a battle (large scale)
-Shuts down the ability to pursue a Protoss army
-Shuts down siege tank's usefulness altogether

That is not purely utilitarian.

MrMister said:
SAME HERE I KEEP FUCKING LOSING EVEN THOUGH I TECH STRAIGHT TO MMM EVEN AGAINST NOOBS I GUESS I DON'T SCOUT OR EXPAND ENOUGH GOD THIS IS PISSING ME OFF ALL OVER AGAIN

Current record as of this patch 'n' post, 3-4.

If you keep losing to "noobs", doesn't that make you one as well?

mbmonk

ElJuice said:
Added you. You can get your vengeance for the draft spoilers :D

LMAO. Ah yes. I now have proper motivation for beating that ass :D

Blurredvision,

300img0225.jpg

LOOOOOOOOOVE that avatar. I am a big UK fan.

Call me ... bitches! :lol

Won

So after not fixing the Reapers, Zerg now gets early extra Larva? I hope Protoss get something too next patch!

Halycon said:
STOPPED PLAYING OUT OF RAGE AND I NEED SLEEP.

Also vikings counter void rays, marines too. Scan that shit down then counter.

Also, either scan your base or put a turret in between your ramp and your CC to kill any scouting probes.

My main issue isn't with win ratio between TvP but how easy it is to play T as opposed to P.

It's really mind numbingly simple. Scouting/invis? Lay down a scan. Extra energy? Call down some MULES. Doing a push? Throw extra supplies to keep pumping units. Want to expand? Make a CC and then float it to an island. Hide behind a solid wall with ranged T1 units. Hop over cliffs early game to harass. Slow down units from getting away and stim to chase/run. Primary support unit, the medivac, is also a carrier, so it turns your ball of death into a flying ball of death. Ghosts needs no training at all to be a great unit. Vikings as go-to air, tech into BCs with Yamato cannon against turtles. Seige tanks to contain and defend. Wall fell down? Lift off and laugh at the puny lings/lots.

As toss, the most convenient feature I have is warp in except it needs to be strictly microed to churn out a stream of units. Chrono boost is great except it's existence forces toss units to require just a little bit more build time in order to prevent boost abuse, likewise, it needs a lot of micro. Good forcefielding also needs a lot of micro. Storm, Blink, Graviton, are all micro heavy. Maybe at top level play protoss has the edge over terran but I'm not korean and I don't have 200 APM so watching terran players attack-move into my base, while hitting stim every now and then, and queueing up units to replace anything that dies is really frustrating.

Hell, zerg might even be more complicated because they're naturally handicapped for being stuck in T1-T2 the entire game. They're forced to play a bleeding/macro game. Terran is more zerg-like than zerg at the moment.

That's one hell of a one-sided view of things. The grass isn't as green as you think on the other side. :lol

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
elostyle said:
You downplay Blink's usefulness.

If you have enough stalkers it has potential to do the following against terrans:

-Shuts down air harass
-Shuts down ledge siege
-Shuts down wall in
-Shuts down island expansions
-Shuts down the ability to flee a battle (large scale)
-Shuts down the ability to pursue a Protoss army
-Shuts down siege tank's usefulness altogether

That is not purely utilitarian.
That IS purely utility because it doesn't provide any direct DPS gain at all.

I'm SC2 GAF's dedicated Stalker spammer so I am well aware of how dynamic the ability is and how strong it can be when used correctly but I'm still pissed at how much I have to spend to get it versus the payoffs.

Stim is useful in nearly all situations simply because DPS is useful in nearly all situations except for running around (which stim is good for as well). In addition it provides the same benefits for marines, and it can be researched the moment reactor hits.

I have to wait until cyber finishes, and then build a twilight council and THEN train blink. At the same time if I'm aiming to go for a primarily blink strat I have to make sure I'm making enough stalkers to justify it, rushing their supply line the moment chronoing blink is done. If I do that then I leave my base open unless have 2-3 sentries to forcefield (drastically cutting down on the potential number of stalkers I can have have. Furthermore, if their main army is close enough to the mineral line they can stim their way to my stalkers before I take out 3-4 drones then the entire strat more or less fails and I have to tech to colossi and pump out immortals anyway. And while stim is up i'm forced to run away and blink off the ledge simply because stalkers don't have enough firepower to take on an MM ball, much less a stimmed one.

I don't see why in order for my T1 and T1.5 units to be useful I have to wait until T2 and then spend 350/350 altogether to train two skills one after the other, while Terran can nearly maximize their T1 and T1.5 units with a T1.5 upgrade that can be plopped down the moment the production building is finished. Might I add that stim benefits 90% of a typical terran army. A well balanced protoss army will get 15-20% benefit from charge, and 15-20% benefit from blink, neither of which actually increases maximum DPS so much as make DPS possible.

Do you understand what I'm saying? I have to reach T2 to make T1 efficient. And reach T3 (colossi/HT) in order to counter a T1.5-T2 (MMM, MMG, MMT) army.

One more thing, even though I can perma forcefield the ramp that still won't stop medivacs from carting a few marauders over the ledge to focus fire my pylons. Unless I get blink asap (1gate council, a high risk low yield strategy that I only use because it's damn fun), by the time I have it they'll have medivacs.
That's one hell of a one-sided view of things. The grass isn't as green as you think on the other side.
Case in point, I once played Haz, worst races. His was P, mine is T. First game, I beat him with a marauder rush against his forge expand. Build 3 rax, three reactors, rally to base. Done.

Second game, I beat him with a kind of weird proxy mara + ghost into battlecruiser where he took out my main base with his land army but I just flew my CC over a chasm while using BC to pick off his stalkers, while the proxy killed what remained of his probes.

Yes, two games isn't really enough to justify my rants but it's just an example of how easy Terran is to play compared to Protoss. I can learn a Terran strat just by watching. On the other hand, I've been staring at Panda/Vautrin/Alum/Azuki/Mila for god knows how long since I got in and I still can't play protoss half as well as they can. My only saving grace is that I'm good at using Stalkers so I get really mad when terran players complain about immortals countering marauders.

FUCK YOU GUYS, YOU HAVE ONE OF THE EASIEST TO USE AND SPAM UNITS IN THE GAME. BUFF STALKERS SO THEY CAN GO TOE TO TOE WITH MARAUDERS AND THEN WE CAN TALK ABOUT IMMORTAL NERFS.

(And don't even get me started on toss air vs terran air. Sometimes I think blink is there only so stalkers can pretend to be an air unit that needs a slow ass observer helper to get around.)

IceMarker

blurredvision said:
If you keep losing to "noobs", doesn't that make you one as well?
Idk how many times I've admitted that already. :lol
When I say "noobs" I mean people who are even shittier then me, but you get the idea.

V_Arnold

Halycon, you sound incredibly bitter. Incredibly. I aint no expert (hell, I aint no novice yet), but you should just train more and be smarter than your opponent instead of this o_o

V_Arnold

MrMister said:
Idk how many times I've admitted that already. :lol
When I say "noobs" I mean people who are even shittier then me, but you get the idea.

Newsflash: They are not shittier than you if they win against you :)

Paz

Protoss always has been a micro heavy race.

Zerg is a macro heavy race.

Terran is a bit of both.

Macro is not easier than micro on a fundamental level, but you may be better suited to one than the other.

And yeah pvt is reaaaaaaaaaaaaally hard with the marauder buff and immortal nerf.

IceMarker

V_Arnold said:
Newsflash: They are not shittier than you if they win against you :)
I might as well just give up playing SC2, eh?

Shit I will never get good at this game. :(

Edit: Then again I am rank 7 in my Bronze division with 7 wins, 7 losses.

Haly

V_Arnold said:
Halycon, you sound incredibly bitter. Incredibly. I aint no expert (hell, I aint no novice yet), but you should just train more and be smarter than your opponent instead of this o_o
I'm bitter because I am smarter than them. But the amount of effort expended on executing protoss strategies makes playing terran look like algebra.

Also before someone says "go play another race then", I chose protoss for three reasons.

1. I like the unit designs
2. I like their micro intensive caster units even though I'm bad at using them.
3. Blink is more fun than the entire Zerg or Terran race as a whole.

Haly

Won said:
Go play another race then, Haly!!!!

Or at least be less obsessed with the Blink. :p
This is like telling me to go play pyro because you keep sapping my sentries.

Fuck that shit, I'm going to knock your brains out with my wrench and just keep building sentries until you give up.

msv

Is b.net still down and no patch download for other EU players?? I didn't think it would take a full day to get the patch thing to start.

hobart

For those interested in what the Zergling rush looks like... or if the explanation wasn't good for you... HDStarcraft posted a nice video to showcase it.

Cheap Zergling Rush

TL thread has gotten pretty epic over it... haha. I wouldn't be surprised to see a reset following this fix. We'll see tho!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I tried the ling rush in a 2v2 on Twilight Fortress.

We had 20 lings at their front before they had a single marine :lol

vhxo9y.jpg

hobart said:
For those interested in what the Zergling rush looks like... or if the explanation wasn't good for you... HDStarcraft posted a nice video to showcase it.

Cheap Zergling Rush

TL thread has gotten pretty epic over it... haha. I wouldn't be surprised to see a reset following this fix. We'll see tho!

I could use another reset.. for some ridiculous reason they put me in platinum. I DO NOT BELONG THERE

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Any nVidia users have comparison photos of the AA settings? Is it just set up through control panel or do you need nHancer?

Won

hobart said:

Cheap Zergling Rush

Damn.

Wonder if Blizzard is going to do a hotfix for once.

hobart

Won said:
Damn.

I don't know what their stance in RTS games are... but they've certainly gone out of their way to hotfix sploits and bugs in WoW. We'll see. With all the problems they had getting the patch up... I'm not entirely convinced we'll be seeing one just yet. One can hope, though. It is, after all, only Beta.

V_Arnold

Jeez... I am a hundred percent sure that yes, they will hotfix this issue as soon as they got the solution.

They want people to play on the Beta, not to see how a bug turns a community into a shitfest just because the majority of casualy players will just go with this tactic even in friendly matches.

Yaweee

Won said:
Damn.

They've done a lot of hotfixes to WoW, but I don't see what the problem is with taking Bnet down for an hour or so to distribute a very small patch.

Won

hobart said:
I don't know what their stance in RTS games are... but they've certainly gone out of their way to hotfix sploits and bugs in WoW. We'll see. With all the problems they had getting the patch up... I'm not entirely convinced we'll be seeing one just yet. One can hope, though. It is, after all, only Beta.

WoW of course has a monthly fee attached to it. They can't keep gamebreaking bugs in there for too long.
There was some gamebreaking stuff in WC3 that wasn't fixed till the next big patch arrived. Instead they banned people, who were caught abusing it. Not a good way too handle stuff like that imo.

Hazaro said:
:D :D :D

The amount of content and the ambition of StarCraft 2 is unique. A competition-level multiplayer experience. A single-player game featuring all new game mechanics and units, now playable in the multiplayer mode. A detailed hub system, along with mercenaries, upgrades, and research options to add to replayability. And all this on top of the improved Battle.net that will allow the easy sharing of content and online play. It's rare that a company gets one of these things right, and Blizzard is shooting for all of them... at the same time.

Even crazier? Everything we play is wonderful. Everyone we talk to is clearly in love with the game. Every time we get to look at new content it's better than what we saw before. StarCraft 2 is coming to the PC and Mac, and it will be out when it's done.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hey I'm fucking stoked for SP awesomeness.
Just design on Terran makes me a bit sad. Clunky units :[
I hope the vulture looks badass.

sasimirobot

∀ Narayan --- TurnA.turna
aznpxdd --- deltron.zero
Cheeto --- Cheeto.bandito
Corran Horn --- Corran.horn
Datwheezy --- Datwheezy.datwheezy
Demimatt --- demi.demi
DMPrince --- DMPrince.dmprince
Ferrio --- Ferrio.modzero
FromTheFuture --- Alumnus.mosaic
hyduK --- hyduk.trh
JoeMartin --- drop.booster
Jokey665 --- jokey.jokey
JWong --- Canucks.jwong
Kamillio --- Drift.kmills
Kenak --- apath.irony
les papillons sexuels --- Tasch.xibot
MeshuggahMan --- Annyong.gaf
Milabrega --- Milabrega.milabrega
MrMister --- xMrMister.xmrmister
NeoUltima ---NeoUltima.neoultima
Nilbog21 --- Vautrin.nine
Olivero --- Olivero.olivero
Pandaman --- panda.craft
robochimp --- Robochimp.cyborg
Sai-kun --- sai.kun
suaveric --- suaveric.suaveric
SuperAndroid17 --- PsioNiX.ambition
Teknopathetic --- Tre.gaf
Trasher --- Trasher.trasher
Turtlesnatcher --- PezRadar.gbx
watervengeance --- water.vengeance
will52 -Afkilla.aiur
Yaweee --- chicken.fingers
ZealousD --- zealous.demon
sasimirobot---questionable.che

V_Arnold

GhostRidah said:
any ati users find a way to enable anti aliasing ?

Catalyst center -> uncheck application settings under AA / 3d tab, and set it accordingly. (Using 4** without any performance hit on 1440*900 with my 4850HD 1gb)

I got the beta yesterday and I've enjoyed RTS games but always suck with online competition.

Are there any recommended SC2 sites that are worth checking to read up on units, strategies, etc?

Shred0r

Banned
You know, still havent played any ranked games, only the unranked ones and i am wondering why i havent yet received an additional beta key for a friend i would like to play some matches with. Guess only players with match stats from ranked games got considered for Blizzard's "beta key for a friend" initiative. If i play some ranked matches from now on would i likely still receive the key or is this campaign already over [temporarily restricted]?

raphier

Banned
Shred0r said:
You know, still havent played any ranked games, only the unranked ones and i am wondering why i havent yet received an additional beta key for a friend i would like to play some matches with. Guess only players with match stats from ranked games got considered for Blizzard's "beta key for a friend" initiative. If i play some ranked matches from now on would i likely still receive the key or is this campaign already over [temporarily restricted]?
Not gonna happen. The friend invitation comes randomly.My friend is on Beta since day 1 and is/was ranked and still didn't get any.

scoobs

Finally got outa those slow as placement matches and proceeded to win my first 2 games :) Then followed that with 2 straight 1v1 losses and 2 2v2 losses. Sucks when you're playing a 2v2 and halfway through your 2nd game you're getting owned because you just realized your partner is drunk off his ass. SO LAME!

nilbog21

Banned
man, i really hope they fix this shit before the next patch. i can only imagine how many nerds are going to exploit it.. NO SHAME! :p i gues its why bad kids stay bad..

V_Arnold said:
Catalyst center -> uncheck application settings under AA / 3d tab, and set it accordingly. (Using 4** without any performance hit on 1440*900 with my 4850HD 1gb)
using the latest drivers? I might need to go do that because I did that now and it doesnt work. will check when I get home.

aznpxdd

TurtleSnatcher said:
I thought they buffed Terran when I sent in a shit ton of lings that got raped by a ball of marines and like a marauder.. :lol

=[

I still won at least.

Pez my man, lets own some noobs this weekend.

aznpxdd said:
Pez my man, lets own some noobs this weekend.
Yea - If they fix the zergling stuff then yea.

If not im gonna wait.

BTW - The new terran scan is overly obnoxious now. Holy crap. Can you lay a larger tanned see through circle on my town?

Ferrio said:
So why is there so many damn terrans?
Its Terran..

Its like "Why are there so many Night Elves" in WoW when it first came out.

Its like the Jedi.. everyone will be them in that new bioware game..

They are just naturally popular.. And with this expansion focusing on them.. I have a feeling a lot of newbs will play Terran.

Top Bottom