• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

KiKaL

Wow I didn't know there was so much hatred on unnecessary clicking. I click all the time just due to habit and to keep me busy. I didn't even know it kept track of APM or whatever until last night. When I move guys I will click 4 or more times. No reason why, just habit. I think I started doing it in Diablo. So does SC2 keep track of your avg APM or something?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
KiKaL said:
Wow I didn't know there was so much hatred on unnecessary clicking. I click all the time just due to habit and to keep me busy. I didn't even know it kept track of APM or whatever until last night. When I move guys I will click 4 or more times. No reason why, just habit. I think I started doing it in Diablo. So does SC2 keep track of your avg APM or something?
Watching as observer or looking at replays there is a tab to show your APM at that current time and your average APM

Corran Horn said:
Its not bad and only a minute or less. Him and Husky are really trying to professionalize their shoutcasting lately along with their tourny here.
And they happen to be my favorites! I'm fine with the intros if HD loses the cheap suit, wooden script-reading and cheap-looking CG background.

JWong

Banned
Ice Monkey said:
i can appreciate your opinion on that, and see it as wholly valid and understandable.

Still doesnt keep me from being sick when I see it happen on useless videos like that rush one he posted though :D

edit: you may notice I never said APM was a bad thing to train, in fact I said several times I understand the concept.
HD has a CRAZY BATSHIT tournament going on with major players. He has the obligation to show players that there is a bug, and his tournament will have none of it.

Did you not hear him talk?
The Lamonster said:
While on the HDStarcraft topic, I wanna say that I really really enjoy his commentaries, but not really digging the "pregame intro" thing he's been doing lately.
If only the audio quality was as good as in the game.

ultron87

Hmm, my mouse is running out of batteries and is sometimes reading single clicks as double clicks. This is an issue, as I'd rather not send all of my workers to some random point when I just want to move one.

Ice Monkey said:
because it was about opinions too? :lol
Oh

and since you just edited that post trying to hide your shame

Ice Monkey said:
pez, your arguments have a basis in logic but just fail as soon as you realize that you are attempting to dictate what someone else should do with their lives. I didn't want to play a single game tonight, and yet I played 2 or 3. Does the fact that I basically wanted to stop myself there instead of continuing despite my feelings to the contrary make me a bad person? I would hope not.

Your problem seems to be with me constantly saying I'd rather not play a game. If you're interested, you should know that I don't particularly see myself getting any better at the game than I am despite how hard I could try so I try and take as much effort as possible to let others play the game instead of me and me sit back and regrettably observe, and given the choice between training for SC2 and doing something productive I wanted to accomplish that I COULD see myself getting better at, I would tend for the latter.

If you understand what I just said, I hope you understand my position. Not everyone wants to desperately become a better SC2 player, and if they tell you they don't want to play instead of going into some retarded diatribe (like I am now) where they explain to you why exactly they don't want to play, I feel as if you are wrong not to respect that. If you don't understand my position in this matter, well I personally feel sorry for you.

Also, your position that you don't understand why someone would opt out of a game despite given a lopsided matchup is just completely misguided. Someone shouldn't be expected to play a game just because they like to watch others play a game that is beyond them.

Here it is.

And .. for someone who said

if you're interested, you should know that I don't particularly see myself getting any better at the game than I am despite how hard I could try so I try and take as much effort as possible to let others play the game instead of me and me sit back and regrettably observe, and given the choice between training for SC2 and doing something productive I wanted to accomplish that I COULD see myself getting better at, I would tend for the latter.

You should be the last person bitching about someones play when they are just trying to show a bug...

KiKaL

Corran Horn said:
Watching as observer or looking at replays there is a tab to show your APM at that current time and your average APM

Okay yea that's exactly how I stumbled across it last night. I love being able to watch replays in this. I'm new to SC in general so it helps to watch what the other person did. So is the only way for people to know your APM is watching a replay in which they could see your random clicks and know your speed isn't that any ways?

KiKaL said:

it does in replays. BTW i don't harbor any hatred towards massive clicking even though it will probably always make someone better than me. My mind just kinda goes outta whack when I see someone almost like a zombie massively click on for example a strategy like he was showing where he was with no effort necessary 6 pooling.

Imagine this scenario: dustin browder when showing off starcraft 2 in one of those battle reports, where everything was scripted and waiting for him to do whatever he planned to do, he constantly drew a box around all the units he was using and clicked on each one of his SCVs and clicked them back to the CC and back to the minerals over and over again. Also he constantly switched between hotkey groups and would click 20 times while a-moving into a base.

That imagery is what I think of when I had that meltdown about HDstarcraft earlier. :lol

TurtleSnatcher said:
Oh

and since you just edited that post trying to hide your shame

Here it is.

And .. for someone who said

You should be the last person bitching about someones play when they are just trying to show a bug...

hahaha I was just seeing what you would do. Dont you think I would've thought about how the next post was you replying to it? Come on, I don't have any shame. If I did I wouldn't be saying these insane things on some message board :lol :lol

I just like riling you up pez :p

Ice Monkey said:
hahaha I was just seeing what you would do. Dont you think I would've thought about how the next post was you replying to it? Come on, I don't have any shame. If I did I wouldn't be saying these insane things on some message board :lol :lol

I just like riling you up pez :p
All in jest.

BTW - Im ordering my m11x next week or the week after.

TurtleSnatcher said:
All in jest.

BTW - Im ordering my m11x next week or the week after.

dude I'm typing on mine right now! Here's one thing you need to know though: I have dry skin so this shouldnt apply to me but the keyboard seems to basically create grease out of thin air so make sure to buy some clorox wipes for the inevitable look of cheeto grease on the keyboard.

also, just played l4d2 last night on the m11x at medium-high settings at 30+ fps which was rather surprising to me.

I am about to take apart another computer pez, better not ask me to play any games :lol

(seriously about to take apart my q1 ultra to replace it's wireless card)

Ashhong

Ice Monkey said:
see i get that, I really do...and maybe i'm alone in this, but that still rubs me the wrong way. How hard could it be just not to click (for one game?!)

It's so unnecessary in that video!

i completely get you. its very frustrating trying to watch a tutorial video from him (which is supposed to be for our benefit, i know he doesnt have to, but he did) and hes spamming the entire beginning of the match. it made my head hurt to watch him go back and forth from his OV to his base over and over and over

fanboi

Banned
Ashhong said:
i completely get you. its very frustrating trying to watch a tutorial video from him (which is supposed to be for our benefit, i know he doesnt have to, but he did) and hes spamming the entire beginning of the match. it made my head hurt to watch him go back and forth from his OV to his base over and over and over

... he have made very few fp mode, and more replay...

Ashhong

fanboi said:
... he have made very few fp mode, and more replay...

more replays than FP sure, but still quite a few fp. if he was just drawing boxes i would be fine, but its literally hard for me to watch when hes constantly clicking to his OV and back to his base.

Spl1nter

went 4-1 in my placement matches and got placed in gold. I am in no way going to be able to stay in gold. Just terrible at the game. Only reason I got in gold is the 4 people I placed in placement matches were worse then me.

Ashhong said:

haha thanks for the support. That is exactly what i meant without me ignorantly distilling it into "sickening".

not to mention with as simple as the strategy is, if he's making this "tutorial" for people who arent as skilled with the game to understand what everyone means about 6 pool 12 ling cancel larvaing, all the massive amount of clicking will just leave them equally as confused.

"why can't i do this strat? what kind of crazy magic is he casting on his drones (that requires all the clicking) to make this work?"

Spl1nter said:
went 4-1 in my placement matches and got placed in gold. I am in no way going to be able to stay in gold. Just terrible at the game. Only reason I got in gold is the 4 people I placed in placement matches were worse then me.

This looks like how my placement matches are going. The novice maps are bs tbh, because I am so safe in expanding early/teching.

But maybe thats just me exploiting the novice maps.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Ice Monkey said:
haha thanks for the support. That is exactly what i meant without me ignorantly distilling it into "sickening".

not to mention with as simple as the strategy is, if he's making this "tutorial" for people who arent as skilled with the game to understand what everyone means about 6 pool 12 ling cancel larvaing, all the massive amount of clicking will just leave them equally as confused.

"why can't i do this strat? what kind of crazy magic is he casting on his drones (that requires all the clicking) to make this work?"
uh, i don't think it was a tutorial to teach people how to abuse a glitch.

didn't you watch the video? he told people to not even bother laddering because of it.

So I got my code yesterday and played a few matches this morning. I got royally stomped. Anybody know of a decent place where a noob like myself can get some good pointers? I would greatly appreciate it.

V_Arnold

Ice Monkey said:

You totally misunderstood the video's purpose(!), and now you make things look even worse o_o

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Corran Horn said:
5000 games, doesnt say players anymore I think

edit: it does...just flashes with games, 14,000 players atm
give it a minute and it'll switch between player and game count.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I was only able to play a few matches last night. Got smoked in all except for one where I was able to amass enough Battlecruisers to stomp my opponent.

This game is amazing! I can't wait to get home and play some more.

Interfectum

Corran Horn said:
5000 games, doesnt say players anymore I think

edit: it does...just flashes with games, 14,000 players atm

14,000 players online right now during a beta... :lol

SC2 sales are going to be nuts.

Effect

Corran Horn said:

One of them also said they, or maybe just one of them, were trying to get Google Partnership status. That seemingly requires that they show more footage of themselves on their channel. So two reasons it, it seems.

How long is GameStop taking to send out beta codes if you pre-order online?

Ashhong

Corran Horn said:
Its not bad and only a minute or less. Him and Husky are really trying to professionalize their shoutcasting lately along with their tourny here.

yea i appreciate the effort of his pregame show, but it feels unecessary since he can say it all during the first minute of the game when nothing is going on, plus it has really bad audio.

however i like his new logo thing that goes on before it

Effect said:
One of them also said they, or maybe just one of them, were trying to get Google Partnership status. That seemingly requires that they show more footage of themselves on their channel. So two reasons it, it seems.

Husky is doing that, so hes put on a couple of videos just talking. I dont know if the pregame shows that HD does would count as those.

btw: anybody know when we can expect videos from the HDH invitational? i think it started on wednesday...so soon i guess?

Str0ngStyle said:
So I got my code yesterday and played a few matches this morning. I got royally stomped. Anybody know of a decent place where a noob like myself can get some good pointers? I would greatly appreciate it.

-USE HOTKEYS AND UNIT GROUPING
-Always try to keep your money low; low money = high production
-Scouting becomes key to recognizing what your opponent is working toward as you learn more about the tech trees of each race
-Try to establish your favored "solid" build order for each race and commit it to memory by playing it over and over so that it becomes second nature.
-Go back over replays when you lose; take note of any mistakes in your or your opponent's play and adjust accordingly
-Lurk on the SC2 forums on TeamLiquid.net
-Watch some of the more recent Day 9 dailies
-Watch reps/VODs from pros and analyze their strategies

What race do you play?

Ashhong

Mayyhem said:
Fuck I went to EB Games to pre-order and grab a beta key but they were out.

did they say it was out? i wonder how they knew since it prints out on the receipt and its not a card or anything

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
shagg_187 said:
I think I am going to start playing as Random. Need to learn Zergs/Protoss since I still am not familiar with tech trees of them except that I know which unit can kick my ass! :lol :lol
pylon/gateway/assim/pylon/cyborg/robo ~ whatever your end game of choice is.

is what i do. :p

my zerg is hurting though, i need macro tips. i'm always either late or early on an expand. :(

Corran Horn

Ashhong said:
btw: anybody know when we can expect videos from the HDH invitational? i think it started on wednesday...so soon i guess?

Husky is flying to SF today to see HD....left at 5am...sad I know this but he is on my facebook :lol
Im guessing they will cast alot of games together

Ashhong

Corran Horn said:
Husky is flying to SF today to see HD....left at 5am...sad I know this but he is on my facebook :lol
Im guessing they will cast alot of games together

oh wow, actually together together? seems overboard, how much different can it be from what they are doing now? thats some dedication though, i hope he gets that Google sponsorship.

im going to take a nap, everybody add me so that i can have people to play with when i wake up...im a pretty average level player.

ashhong.gaf

Pandaman said:

my zerg is hurting though, i need macro tips. i'm always either late or early on an expand. :(

if you are playing on twilight fortress in 2v2, or know your opponent isnt going to be rushing, i find 14pool 15hatch to be amazing for macro. the times i do this my econ is pretty much through the roof. double gasses at each and i make a crap load of mutas with no problems.

Pandaman said:

Thanks! Will do! Oh and I need to add all of you Gaffers again... :9

shagg.gaf is my ID btw. Will start tomorrow after 3pm EST! :D

EDIT: Ashhong! That avatar of breast grabbing LOL!! :lol Where is it from?

Ashhong

shagg_187 said:
Thanks! Will do! Oh and I need to add all of you Gaffers again... :9

shagg.gaf is my ID btw. Will start tomorrow after 3pm EST! :D

EDIT: Ashhong! That avatar of breast grabbing LOL!! :lol Where is it from?

the low quality one? from Kick-Ass. im going to assume that means you havent seen the movie, to which i say, shame on you. its a great movie, go watch it

edit: if its the one with a guy grabbing the girl thats Community

Corran Horn

Ashhong said:
the low quality one? from Kick-Ass. im going to assume that means you havent seen the movie, to which i say, shame on you. its a great movie, go watch it

should be named ass kicked

Spl1nter

k maybe I am good enough to be in gold. Won my next 2 matches after placement. Still my apm is to low I cant micro and macro at the same time. Even then Im pretty slow on both. So I have a feeling this is just a lucky winning streak. Last game my minerals were hovering around 1000-1200 but I sitll won.

Ashhong said:

Guy grabbing girl. Oh and yes, I have NOT seen Kick Ass. Seeing it on May 1st when I go to Montreal to see a friend! :D

Top Bottom