• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

fanboi

Banned
Ice Monkey said:
there isnt ANY ANY ANY justification for it though with a 12 ling rush with 6 pool. I'm sorry there just isnt. It's almost the exact reason why they are going to nerf it to the ground soon, because it requires no effort whatsoever and you come up with 12 lings and bam you win.

sit....watch drones harvest...build larva...wait ~10 seconds....cancel larva....build larva....wait 10 seconds.......cancel larva....build pool....build larva...wait 10 secs....cancel larva....build larva....wait 10 secs...cancel larva.....build 12 lings....attack with everything.

YOU CANT DO ANYTHING ELSE in those ten seconds you are waiting to cancel larva.

He didnt even have drones back at the base because he attacked with them.

You guys need to watch the video before you spout this bullshit nonsense that he was ramping up for some later part of the game in that video specifically. THAT is what i meant. Dont just blanket defend people who spam APM. Sometimes, SOMETIMES it's actually just a sickening nervous habit that doesnt improve jack shit that has no place in some youtube video the guy puts up.

I don't yell at people for spamming APM in normal matches where they need to "warm up their hands" or whatever else they want to do that they think helps them win the game. In this video, he didnt need to do it, and all I could think of while watching it was this:

cartman32.gif

I have watched every single video from him and he do this, just as turtle says, to show an hax/bugg/etc that he thinks needs to be fixed...

Also, spamming IS a part of his game... just as you say GL HF etc... and he didn't know if he was going to succseed either... since the opponent did the same

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ice Monkey said:
I don't yell at people for spamming APM in normal matches where they need to "warm up their hands" or whatever else they want to do that they think helps them win the game. In this video, he didnt need to do it, and all I could think of while watching it was this:

He was probably just doing it out of force of habit.

JWong said:
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/APM

APM is the player's speed. If you don't have good APM, good luck fighting someone who does.

APM isn't near as important in SC2 as it was it SC1, just an FYI.

JWong said:
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/APM

APM is the player's speed. If you don't have good APM, good luck fighting someone who does.

like i said on the previous page, i can understand the whole APM shit. But not on a 12 ling 6 pool rush. he does not need to warm up his hands for some mystical mad micro he needs to do when he throws a big ball of 12 lings at someone. He can't even do anything at his base even after he attacks because he threw all his drones at the guy, its all about sitting there waiting.

Trying to justify him clickspamming in that "instructional video" is an exercise in futility. What, is he preparing for his next game? Gimme a break. He shouldn't have even posted the damn video, as if blizzard doesnt know about the 12 ling rush yet :lol :lol :lol

ZealousD said:
He was probably just doing it out of force of habit.

see i get that, I really do...and maybe i'm alone in this, but that still rubs me the wrong way. How hard could it be just not to click (for one game?!)

It's so unnecessary in that video!

Ice Monkey said:
SOMETIMES it's actually just a sickening nervous habit that doesnt improve jack shit that has no place in some youtube video the guy puts up.
You just answered your own question. He's not doing it to look cool or whatever, it's just how he plays. Give the guy a break.

JWong

Banned
Can someone tell Ice Monkey that he's showing the bug to show players that it is banned from his upcoming HDH tournament if it's not fixed?
Ice Monkey said:
You guys need to watch the video before you spout this bullshit nonsense that he was ramping up for some later part of the game in that video specifically. THAT is what i meant. Dont just blanket defend people who spam APM. Sometimes, SOMETIMES it's actually just a sickening nervous habit that doesnt improve jack shit that has no place in some youtube video the guy puts up.
So Nada has this nervous habit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gT-pcLIUdw#t=1m5s
Ice Monkey said:
Trying to justify him clickspamming in that "instructional video" is an exercise in futility. What, is he preparing for his next game? Gimme a break. He shouldn't have even posted the damn video, as if blizzard doesnt know about the 12 ling rush yet :lol :lol :lol
Guess HD also has this "nervous habit" of a pro Starcraft player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA8Y22923-Y

fanboi

Banned
Ice Monkey said:
see i get that, I really do...and maybe i'm alone in this, but that still rubs me the wrong way. How hard could it be just not to click (for one game?!)

take a chillpill

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Ice Monkey said:

You seriously need to chill out dude. It's a habit, I bet he's been doing it for years starting when he played BW, why wouldn't he just automatically do it every time?

If the way someone clicks when they have nothing else to do "sickens" you and you feel that you can dictate how he or she should make their youTube videos, you should probably just stop watching altogether.

clav

Ice Monkey said:

Habits die hard.

Skeyser said:
Guys, HDstarcraft is obviously a sickening human being for spamming his APM in a youtube video :lol
:lol

I think the warm-up is like in sports. You can't react quickly to things cold turkey. Same with music instruments.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Ice Monkey said:
like i said on the previous page, i can understand the whole APM shit. But not on a 12 ling 6 pool rush. he does not need to warm up his hands for some mystical mad micro he needs to do when he throws a big ball of 12 lings at someone. He can't even do anything at his base even after he attacks because he threw all his drones at the guy, its all about sitting there waiting.

dude, it was a zerg vs zerg and both players did the same build. having good micro is pretty damn important when you all in with lings.

Draft

Ice Monkey said:

:lol:

Holy shit, are you insane?

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Getting away from this one page derail: anyone want to play some games without any zergling nonsense? I don't really feel like playing ladder and being forced to do a silly 6 pool exploit.

JoeMartin

Ice Monkey said:

What? He's not even spam clicking in that video. All he's done is bind his units and is switching between them. If you want to see early APM spam watch orb's stream sometime.

It's just a tick you develop the more and more you play - it's just a good mental state to be in ALL the time while playing as good macro play requires it later in the game. I'm horrendously guilty of this type of thing in HoN and I do it in SC2 as well.

The Lamonster said:
You just answered your own question. He's not doing it to look cool or whatever, it's just how he plays. Give the guy a break.

Hey i don't harbor any bad feelings for the guy, I was just mentioning how i found it sickening is all.

I almost feel sorry for the guy that in a video he is casting about a strategy that takes no effort whatsoever he still works towards eventual arthritis/carpal tunnel and destroying his hand.

56353658.jpg

Trasher

Procarbine said:
Getting away from this one page derail: anyone want to play some games without any zergling nonsense? I don't really feel like playing ladder and being forced to do a silly 6 pool exploit.
Sure dude. Coming on.

ultron87

Hmm, I feel slightly bad about just beating another Protoss player in a placement match by rushing to a void ray that proceeded to melt his nexus.

Guess he should've built a Stalker instead of that Forge.

Yaweee

Have they announced any plans for what they are doing with FFA? It currently tracks wins and stats, but there's no official ladder/ranking/rating/league system in place, no achievements for them, and there's only 4 player FFA, no option for larger ones like there were in WC3 for its first few years.

JWong

Banned
Ice Monkey said:
right after you grow up and realize people have differing opinions and express themselves differently than you, funny how humans are, eh?
It's more like you're outright wrong and won't admit you're wrong.

JoeMartin

Ice Monkey said:
right after you grow up and realize people have differing opinions and express themselves differently than you, funny how humans are, eh?

What a legitimate argument for acting like a douche.

zoukka

Ice Monkey: your messages read MELTDOWN LOOK AT ME!

Probably just poor wording or something, but it seems hilarious you flip like that over someone warming up in SC (a very usual habit).

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Procarbine said:
i wouldnt mind watching some to pick up some zerg macro tips. :p

Hugbot

bleahy said:
My post got lost in the shuffle, but a hotfix/patch is coming TODAY for the larvae issue.
You should know better than posting before meltdowns. But that's a really fast turnaround if they get the patch out today, really cool.

JWong said:
It's more like you're outright wrong and won't admit you're wrong.

what the hell am I wrong about? My opinion? How many times do I have to say that I understand APM and don't have a problem with people training themselves in that way before you guys stop assuming that I meant the opposite?

I was just personally rubbed the wrong way by his use of clickspamming "warming mah hands up" tactics in a game where he absolutely did not need it. That's all. Sorry my opinion didn't agree with most of you guys but I still don't get why you guys are personally taking offense to it, it's rather amazing.

Won

bleahy said:
My post got lost in the shuffle, but a hotfix/patch is coming TODAY for the larvae issue.

Saw that one, but I'm talking about the patch, which introduced that thing in the first place. :lol

Want to play with the map editor already.......

Minsc

Gold Member
fanboi said:
Cancel egg -> Larva remains still while hatch creates a new (before it was max 3 larvas, now unlimited)

There should be a penalty for canceling an egg, larva should be removed with the egg, with a short delay before a new one spawns (2 seconds or so). That's a pretty awful bug, now that I understand it.

On a separate note, I wonder if 10,000+ APM is possible by assigning a macro key to toggle between two groups a couple hundred times in a fraction of a second, and held the macro key down for the entire game, just for the hell of it. Even if you did it for the first minute, maybe you could cause your average APM to be so off-whack, that you end up in the high 400s or so.

zoukka said:
Ice Monkey: your messages read MELTDOWN LOOK AT ME!

Probably just poor wording or something, but it seems hilarious you flip like that over someone warming up in SC (a very usual habit).

hehe i can see that, the whole meltdown thing, but it's honestly not like that at all. I'm finding it very entertaining trying to defend myself (my opinion) on the internet tubes against people who don't understand the concept of people thinking differently than them.

I find myself content in knowing that I've made at least one person laugh at me :lol :lol

While on the HDStarcraft topic, I wanna say that I really really enjoy his commentaries, but not really digging the "pregame intro" thing he's been doing lately.

Minsc said:
There should be a penalty for canceling an egg, larva should be removed with the egg, with a short delay before a new one spawns (2 seconds or so). That's a pretty awful bug, now that I understand it.

On a separate note, I wonder if 10,000+ APM is possible by assigning a macro key to toggle between two groups a couple hundred times in a fraction of a second, and held the macro key down for the entire game, just for the hell of it. Even if you did it for the first minute, maybe you could cause your average APM to be so off-whack, that you end up in the high 400s or so.

I'm curious to see how it's going to turn out. They could either:

1. give a monetary penalty to canceling eggs but give larva back
2. not allow eggs to give larva back in the first 3 minutes
3. have some sort of hatchery larva is different than queen larva 3 hatch larva max deal
4. fill in the blank

Also, I'm curious about the APM thing too, specifically whether it tracks if you actually clicked on a different structure/unit or something because then the two group thing would seriously hamper your gameplay unless you only did it when doing nothing else.

JWong said:
APM is always a good thing, should always be used, instructional video or not.

i can appreciate your opinion on that, and see it as wholly valid and understandable.

Still doesnt keep me from being sick when I see it happen on useless videos like that rush one he posted though :D

edit: you may notice I never said APM was a bad thing to train, in fact I said several times I understand the concept.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
The Lamonster said:
While on the HDStarcraft topic, I wanna say that I really really enjoy his commentaries, but not really digging the "pregame intro" thing he's been doing lately.
i like em. they feel more pro

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
The Lamonster said:
Its not bad and only a minute or less. Him and Husky are really trying to professionalize their shoutcasting lately along with their tourny here.

Top Bottom