• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I know that livestream has the procaster program that does streaming easy, but is there a way to stream on Justin.tv? I remember trying when I first got the beta and could never get it done but I see people doing it now and the quality is soo much better :/

SteveO409 said:
Holy crap im getting owned by the zergling larvae glitch in BRONZE league :lol :lol 3 times now

What does that glitch do, btw? Not familiar with Zerg's creation and lack of audio on my end can't tell what's happening (it's the same glitch as HDStarcraft posted, right?).

Minsc

Gold Member
SteveO409 said:
Holy crap im getting owned by the zergling larvae glitch in BRONZE league :lol :lol 3 times now

I think I'm going to avoid playing any random games until that is fixed, seems like there is no point, it is impossible to counter unless you're zerg.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
shagg_187 said:
What does that glitch do, btw? Not familiar with Zerg's creation and lack of audio on my end can't tell what's happening (it's the same glitch as HDStarcraft posted, right?).
Basically keep your minerals from canceling eggs yet still keeping the larva and gaining additional ones from over time. So you can have an easy 5-6 larva ready to morph into zerglings once pool is up.

Ashhong

shagg_187 said:

yup, basically it enables you to have 6 larvae ready to go when the spawning pool comes out. you can have an instant 12 lings to rush with and pretty much wipe out the opponent with

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
shagg_187 said:
basically:
-hatcheries maintain 3 larvae naturally, if you hae 2 it will spawn a third.
-eggs do not count as larva
-a larva spawns faster than a drone builds
-canceling an egg gives you your larva back.

normally a zerg who six pools can only have at maximum 3 larva to spawn 6 zerglings.
with the larva glitch you can cancel building drones after larvas spawn and have 4 larvae. then 5. then 6.

giving you 10-12 zerglings in the time a zerg is normally only supposed to have 6. the game is baalnced for 6pool into 6zerglings, so twice that can crush even the fastest defense builds. only protoss chrono zealot seems to be able to handle it atm.

zerg vs zerg is a crapshot because you have to assume the opponent is glitching too, because if he does and you don't, you'll lose.

edit: if you're interested in protoss stuff, i'd highly recommend haly and fromthefuture. :D

webrunner

I have a question to those of you in the beeeeeta: There was an interface mod for Starcraft 1 which I absolutely loved. All it did was change the hotkeys to an "analgous key array" - so that instead of the name, it was based on the position. Every hotkey was mapped to i think, qwe,asd,zxc based on the 3x3 grid in the corner. It was an absolute godsend as you never had to move your hand and memorization of every hotkey for every situation was not required.

Is there a way to remap hotkeys in Starcraft 2, or am I going to be faced with having to go back to old name hotkeys all over the keyboard again?

JWong

Banned
Woot, got my overlord portrait. I'm happy now.
Pandaman said:
pylon/gateway/assim/pylon/cyborg/robo ~ whatever your end game of choice is.

is what i do. :p

my zerg is hurting though, i need macro tips. i'm always either late or early on an expand. :(
I usually expand when I can defend it. That's 2v2 though. 5 roaches and hopefully something from my partner.

I mostly see zerg expand pretty fast when it's vT vP so they can match economy. 14 pool usually.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
webrunner said:
I have a question to those of you in the beeeeeta: There was an interface mod for Starcraft 1 which I absolutely loved. All it did was change the hotkeys to an "analgous key array" - so that instead of the name, it was based on the position. Every hotkey was mapped to i think, qwe,asd,zxc based on the 3x3 grid in the corner. It was an absolute godsend as you never had to move your hand and memorization of every hotkey for every situation was not required.

Is there a way to remap hotkeys in Starcraft 2, or am I going to be faced with having to go back to old name hotkeys all over the keyboard again?

Pretty sure that they JUST added the feature you were talking about in the latest patch. Also they already moved most of the hotkeys to the left side of the keyboard.

LaneDS

Question: how many workers is too many for a mineral field? Obviously there must be some sort of saturation (otherwise expanding would only be good for more gas), but I have no idea how to gauge how many workers is too many for a set of minerals. Any advice on when to move some of them to a fresh expo?

Ashhong

LaneDS said:
Question: how many workers is too many for a mineral field? Obviously there must be some sort of saturation (otherwise expanding would only be good for more gas), but I have no idea how to gauge how many workers is too many for a set of minerals. Any advice on when to move some of them to a fresh expo?

i think its 3 workers per field

V_Arnold

LaneDS said:

Isnt the math here:
Number of minerals * 2 + 3*(number of gas harvesting points)

zoukka

LaneDS said:

Well you should always even out your workers between expos no matter the amount really. As zerg you can pump drones pretty hard if you have enough resources and think your army matches your opponents. You need them for buildings after all.

Meeru

Banned
Halycon said:
I'm bitter because I am smarter than them. But the amount of effort expended on executing protoss strategies makes playing terran look like algebra.

Also before someone says "go play another race then", I chose protoss for three reasons.

1. I like the unit designs
2. I like their micro intensive caster units even though I'm bad at using them.
3. Blink is more fun than the entire Zerg or Terran race as a whole.
Don't use stalkers, use HTs and colossi.

Hey guys, I preordered this from Amazon yesterday. If they send me the beta code, can I still cancel it? The only thing that confuses me in their terms is this:

Amazon.com said:
If you do not purchase the qualifying item when the promotion is in effect, the promotional code will not apply.

All that says to me is "If you cancel before redeeming the code it won't work." Right?

Ashhong

FleckSplat said:
Hey guys, I preordered this from Amazon yesterday. If they send me the beta code, can I still cancel it? The only that confuses me in their terms is this:

All that says to me is "If you cancel before redeeming the code it won't work." Right?

pretty sure people on slick are doing this. you can cancel just fine

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I think 3 is a bit too much though. Usually I start pulling SCVs once I see them moving between minerals. At that point it's just better if they're mining at an expo.

You might fully saturate a mineral field at 3, but I think that lowers minerals per scv compared to just having 2.

Although I could be wrong. I haven't really counted how many SCVs I have when I feel they're saturated, lol.

Ashhong

ZealousD said:
I think 3 is a bit too much though. Usually I start pulling SCVs once I see them moving between minerals. At that point it's just better if they're mining at an expo.

You might fully saturate a mineral field at 3, but I think that lowers minerals per scv compared to just having 2.

Although I could be wrong. I haven't really counted how many SCVs I have when I feel they're saturated, lol.

the tip page on the loading screen itself says to have 3 per field. i dont think the SCVs receive any less each time even if there are 50 on one

Milabrega

Milabrega said:
List of Gaf Members in Beta: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20918204&postcount=11057

If you want your name added to the list, Post your BNET name in the _____.____ Format. EU players please post EU next to the ___.___ so I can put you on the correct list.

Best strategy to grow your buddy list is to add the frequent posters in this thread, and then ask for an invite to the conversation. In the conversation window you can open the tab on the right wall to see the list of players. You can then Right click Add all the names you don't already have.

I'm updating the list from my last post till here.

Won

ZealousD said:

It's like with the gas. With 3, one will always wait to get a spot to mine, but they will overall gather more than 2.

Pandaman said:
uh, i don't think it was a tutorial to teach people how to abuse a glitch.

didn't you watch the video? he told people to not even bother laddering because of it.

V_Arnold said:
You totally misunderstood the video's purpose(!), and now you make things look even worse o_o

the only thing is it may not have been a tutorial but the only people who would have needed to see it were people who couldnt do it or didnt know how to do it on their own. thats all i meant. i didnt mean to imply he was trying to get people to use it.

Sorry if there was some confusion I wasnt trying to bring his morals or whatever into play.

shagg_187 said:
Yep. 3 workers per mineral/vespene (also explained in the new "tips" section during loading).

do you know if they actually altered the mechanics or is it like it has been for awhile where 3 per field is way too much given the return of buying that many extra probes?

Ice Monkey said:
do you know if they actually altered the mechanics or is it like it has been for awhile where 3 per field is way too much given the return of buying that many extra probes?

Not sure. I always used 2 per field (used to it as I always did that in Warcraft 3) but after reading the tip, I tried 3 and it works flawlessly especially with vespene. Increasing the amount of workers for the new patch would mean changing either the extraction speed or worker speed which I don't think has changed or mentioned.

I think 2 is best for Minerals with 3 being maximum for Vespene.

EDIT: Question: Is there a way to see how many units you have for each class and what kind (similar to that visible in replay)?

Spl1nter

shagg_187 said:
Not sure. I always used 2 per field (used to it as I always did that in Warcraft 3) but after reading the tip, I tried 3 and it works flawlessly especially with vespene. Increasing the amount of workers for the new patch would mean changing either the extraction speed or worker speed which I don't think has changed or mentioned.

I think 2 is best for Minerals with 3 being maximum for Vespene.

You should always have 3 on Vespene. It collects at the most efficient rate with 3.

Looking back at the replay of the last game I won my apm averages to ~50 and the other guy was ~110. Cant believe I won, i really dont belong in gold. This is just a nice little winning streak.

Can anyone vouch for one hotkey setup being better/more efficient than the others? I got used to the standard one already but am wondering if grid is better.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The Lamonster said:
How does that make sense? Vespene geysers are all the same no matter what map it is.
Sometime they're just a bit farther away that you can add an extra probe without wasting any time.

Haly

valenti said:
Don't use stalkers, use HTs and colossi.
HTs take a long time and die to ghosts (not that people in silver use them), but I agree on the colossi.

However I <3 stalkers too much.

2v2'd but we lost cause zerg was using neural parasite on our collossus, I duno if it's balanced or not honestly but I think it's weird that you can use that on a robotic unit :/

Mudkips

Banned
Halycon said:
Sometime they're just a bit farther away that you can add an extra probe without wasting any time.

Ever see a worker leave your vespene geyser before the next one enters?
If that gap of time is greater than X, you can get gas faster by using another worker.

X is important.

If X is too small, you will earn less gas because workers are dumb and sometimes collide / queue up (and then spaz out) waiting to enter.

Not all starting positions are equal in this regard.

Just as they aren't equal when placing rectangular structures (especially apparent with tech centers and reactors). They really need to let us attach those addons to either side of the structure, damn it.

raphier

Banned
Orangepeel said:
2v2'd but we lost cause zerg was using neural parasite on our collossus, I duno if it's balanced or not honestly but I think it's weird that you can use that on a robotic unit :/
Just saw a guy use it on all four thors...it's funny as hell from a long range. :lol

Meeru

Banned
Halycon said:
HTs take a long time and die to ghosts (not that people in silver use them), but I agree on the colossi.

However I <3 stalkers too much.
This is where the mindgame comes in. Can I emp before he storms me?

JWong

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
Can anyone vouch for one hotkey setup being better/more efficient than the others? I got used to the standard one already but am wondering if grid is better.
I got use to the old one. I tried grid knowing full well that it's better for me, but I can't mentally switch over.

Chris R

shagg_187 said:
Yep. 3 workers per mineral/vespene (also explained in the new "tips" section during loading).
With three on minerals I get gatherer juggling. Haven't done extensive testing or anything, I just go with 2 per mineral, 3 per gas.

Haly

valenti said:
This is where the mindgame comes in. Can I emp before he storms me?
Usually, yes, because I have to click multiple units in a single blob while you have to click once in the general vicinity of my HTs!

Quiet Deltron, we aren't all as pro as you.

Top Bottom