• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

iamblades

yay I got a whole 2 practice games in before servers went down again.

:lol :lol

Getting better slowly though.

Changed my hotkey layout to grid pattern, so all the unit hotkeys are the same, just have to memorize the position.

Does anyone else have the problem of wanting to stop and watch stuff happen when you should be teching up and rebuilding? The pretty lights are so tempting to watch. :lol

I'm tempted to change to grid pattern. Makes more sense to me, but it took me a while to get the standard hotkeys to be second nature and I hate unlearning and relearning.

StarCraft II Beta – Patch 10 (version 0.12.0.15133)

The latest patch notes can always be found on the StarCraft II Beta General Discussion forum.

Bug Fixes

Fixed an issue where Larva were not dying after being cancelled.
Fixed an issue with Banelings, Brood Lords, and Overseers obeying their original Hatchery's rally point.

Notice they are calling it a bug.:D Think they could have accidentally added the mechanic?

Zzoram

Many of the people who cared enough to preorder SC2 at EB/Gamestop (also Futureshop in Canada has beta keys now too) just for the beta are probably somewhat decent, maybe Bronze or Silver.

Zzoram said:
Many of the people who cared enough to preorder SC2 at EB/Gamestop (also Futureshop in Canada has beta keys now too) just for the beta are probably somewhat decent, maybe Bronze or Silver.
i don't fall into the decent category even if i preordered the CE :lol.

valenti said:
All are pretty decent

Zzoram said:

interesting. I didn't think of it that way. So now a huge rush of more skilled players are in ladder, eh? *shudder*

JWong

Banned
Shit! I win all 5 placement matches before the reset to get my portrait.

Now I lose three in a row because I end up with the dumbest partners. Godamn 2v2 random.

iamblades

MisterAnderson said:
I'm tempted to change to grid pattern. Makes more sense to me, but it took me a while to get the standard hotkeys to be second nature and I hate unlearning and relearning.

Yeah, if i had learned the standard layout id probably stick with it, but I only had one night of getting my ass kicked, so i hadn't got the standard keys down yet anyway.

NeoUltima

ARgh reset everything. I'll never get out of the practice league lolz.

...and we gotta build friend lists again lol :(

NeoUltima.neoultima

Wedge7

wedge.wedge

Hrm, went 4-1 again in new placements (went 4-1 earlier in the day in placements) but oddly this time made it into platinum. Like they said, must be tons of factors that determine where you go. Each time got beat by a Protoss abusing ff on his ramp, godamn them.

Lol, and sort of a pet peeve, but why the hell do people lie about their skill in game. I always tend to ask what div people are in, and they say shit like bronze or copper, and I check after and they were gold or platinum. Jeez, I mean, its not like I'm not going to find out. I always msg them after and they sheepishly say "Meh, its not like you played any different". Maybe not, but still, why lie?

Trasher

Wedge7 said:
Lol, and sort of a pet peeve, but why the hell do people lie about their skill in game. I always tend to ask what div people are in, and they say shit like bronze or copper, and I check after and they were gold or platinum. Jeez, I mean, its not like I'm not going to find out. I always msg them after and they sheepishly say "Meh, its not like you played any different". Maybe not, but still, why lie?
Same dude! I'll be ranked gold and go into a game where someone says they are silver yet it says they are slightly favored to win... Riiigggghhhtttt dude!

Wedge7 said:
wedge.wedge

Hrm, went 4-1 again in new placements (went 4-1 earlier in the day in placements) but oddly this time made it into platinum. Like they said, must be tons of factors that determine where you go. Each time got beat by a Protoss abusing ff on his ramp, godamn them.

I don't lie. I'm shit at the game. Trust me.

TurnA.turna

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You'd try less hard against someone perceived to be weak, that's all.

LaneDS

Just had a very satisfying win against a player who did nothing but build pylons, gateways, and zealots and toss them at my base. Worked well enough for him early on, but switching to colossi and melting his very stupid strategy with a single cliff was somehow so enjoyable.

Sloegr

Wedge7 said:

If I ever make it to platinum, I'll tell every mofo who will listen, whether they ask or not :lol

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Major Williams said:
Played a bit as the Terrans... the FLYING MEDIC? WTF IS THAT? Preferred the chick on the field, thanks.

Dude, no. It's also a dropship. Marine/Marauder/Medivac is pretty much the most flexible and mobile build in the entire game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I finally got a chance to finish all of my placement matches. I made it to Silver - Division 6, which surprised me because I expected to get trounced every game. I must have encountered some fellow newbs since I was able to win 3 - 2.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
ZealousD said:
Dude, no. It's also a dropship. Marine/Marauder/Medivac is pretty much the most flexible and mobile build in the entire game.

Some guy was bringing the wreckage on me with that exact combo. Those damn Marauders fuck shit up. He was able to wipe out a lot of my buildings before I could finally kill all of them with my Void Rays. I managed to pull through in the end, but damn that is a deadly combination!

ZealousD

Zefah said:
Some guy was bringing the wreckage on me with that exact combo. Those damn Marauders fuck shit up. He was able to wipe out a lot of my buildings before I could finally kill all of them with my Void Rays. I managed to pull through in the end, but damn that is a deadly combination!

Well you certainly can't throw Void Rays against them. They're made more for things like capital ships and buildings.

NeoUltima said:
Medivacs are awesome. You so crazy. :p
1. It takes much longer to get than normal medics - not a fan of this decision
2. Much larger/easier target on the battlefield too.
3. I understand its a transport, it just doesn't make sense how a beam from the AIR can heal wounds, but you can't equip it on marines' suits like you did a few years ago on the battlefield (talking story-wise now).

LaneDS

So in my last match I discovered my opponent massing battlecruisers. What's are good counters as Protoss? Psi Storm?

Major Williams said:
3. I understand its a transport, it just doesn't make sense how a beam from the AIR can heal wounds, but you can't equip it on marines' suits like you did a few years ago on the battlefield (talking story-wise now).

Well, the SC1 style medics are going to be featured in the single player campaign, along with a number of other SC1 classics. That at least helps answer point 3.

JWong

Banned
Major Williams said:
Medics will shoot beams too. They showed it in the campaign preview.

The change is necessary to show who the medic is healing. Something that SC1 was held back because of graphics.

Major Williams said:

1) Healing on the battlefield is incredibly powerful. The later in the game it's unlockable the better IMO

2) Having to target tiny individual tiny medic units amongst a ball of marines, etc makes it very difficult to tactically target units. I think it was a better design decision to make the medic above the action and thus easily target-able (only if the opponent has AA, in which case you should be glad it's an air unit.) Also the fact that it doubles as a dropship is just awesome. Combining two units in one is another great design decision IMO. They are also easily micro'd away from harms way since they are highly mobile, being an air unit and all.

3) Why would a medic want to be on the ground if they could heal from the air? :lol

Eh, just my thoughts on it.

ZealousD

Major Williams said:

Story-wise, there's normal medics in the campaign.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
ZealousD said:
I think it's way too easy in its current state. There is almost zero risk for going down this path as Terran. Every other race actually needs to scout and appropriately build based on what their opponent has.

Belgorim

Man, brutal... lost my first two placement matches. Really got steamrolled :p

Will probably get into bronze from plat this time cause I suck, need to play more!

I'm europe Belgorim.alvar

fanboi

Banned
EU GAF assamble post patch 10:
-------------------------------------

fanboi --> fanboi.gaf
corum --> corum.corum
maniac-kun --> maniackun.gaf
belgorim.alvar

Added Belgorim, nice to see new faces.

Top Bottom