• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Ashhong

hey guys i dont know if anybody still needs keys, but i went to gamestop and got a few today if anybody needs some. i only ask for a few $ so that i dont have to go back and cancel it. PM me

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Goddamn Zerg. I just lost like 4 matches in a row against Zerg players. I really need to find some matrix of what unit counters what.

mr stroke

Is there a secret to turtling in this? I can't seem to block anything :(

I block the ramp with a building and build a load of bunkers and missile turrets but as soon as a small rush comes I am toast. Anyone know the correct turtle method(if there is one?)

NeoUltima

Why am I winning all my placement matches :/...I feel like I am just getting lucky and they will put me in some super league and I gonna get whooped :lol

NeoUltima.neoultima

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
mr stroke said:
Is there a secret to turtling in this? I can't seem to block anything :(

I block the ramp with a building and build a load of bunkers and missile turrets but as soon as a small rush comes I am toast. Anyone know the correct turtle method(if there is one?)
Terran: One barracks two supply depots to completely cut it off.

Protoss: Two buildings built edge to edge will only allow the smallest units to go through and force armies to funnel through or knock down the buildings. Put a zealot there to stop it. Another option is to create a one square gap, which will require two Zealots to block completely. Don't use pylons to block, it makes them vulnerable.

Zerg: Make a wall of spines, at your hatchery arced so people can't weave around it. It's an ersatz wall.

Turn on grid view while building to see how much space the buildings take up.

Trasher

4-1 this time during placements and they gave me Gold again. Thought I might hit Plat this time. :( The game I lost I could have easily won too, but I made a dumb mistake early on and got beat by a friggin double gateway build lol. Oh, and the last game I played the guy told me he was gonna report me for hacking! Apparently scouting his natural with my observer is considered hacking??? :lol He had a weird build too where he went double robo bay and then just massed Stalkers and Immortals. He got smoked. :)

Oh and one more thing. For some reason during the first game of my placement matches my keyboard didn't work! No binds, no messaging, nothing! I had to click EVERYTHING, but luckily I was able to pull that one out. :lol Next game I played it worked fine though. Dunno what was up with that.

Sloegr

NeoUltima said:
Why am I winning all my placement matches :/...I feel like I am just getting lucky and they will put me in some super league and I gonna get whooped :lol

NeoUltima.neoultima

That happened to me as well. I ended up playing some very bad players and being placed a league or two higher than I deserved. I wasn't in the beta when there were 10 placement matches, but that might be nice to see again in retail (when our accounts aren't getting wiped every other minute).

How do the beta vets feel about that? Does having five placement matches rather than ten seem to make any difference?

jasonng

jasonng.minkis

I was tempted to make my name sound korean to be intimidating when in fact I'm terrible.
I'm chinese
. Anyways, I'll add you guys when I can. Looking forward to some friendly matches.

Darkatomz

Ugh... I hate this computer so much. My 8800gts 640mb isn't holdng up, I keep crashing out of my games. I'm still trying to lower my setting to get the game to work, but I'll definitely need to get a completely new powerhouse in the future, maybe when the end of summer rolls around or something.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
mr stroke said:
is it worth putting a defense on the ramps(bunker,missile turrets, or troops)
There is never a time when playing terran where you shouldn't be making troops. You can't straight turtle like toss with cannons (and that's rarely a good strat anyway). Put them behind the rax/depots and around the cliffs overlooking the ramps. One bunker where the cliff kind of juts out or behind the depots in case they break through should be enough.

Turrets are primarily a guard against aerial harass and detection so put them where you'd expect air to come in (rarely the front door because you'll have rines there), near your mineral line or at the center of your base to uncover observers.

Darkatomz said:
Ugh... I hate this computer so much. My 8800gts 640mb isn't holdng up, I keep crashing out of my games. I'm still trying to lower my setting to get the game to work, but I'll definitely need to get a completely new powerhouse in the future, maybe when the end of summer rolls around or something.

My 8800 GTX from like 2006 or whatever runs it on ultra at 1680x1050 with no problems (in 2v2s at least). This game is probably pushing its limits during the large battles though.

I want to build a new comp in the next year or so I think, that way I will be future-proofed for the next two SC2 games as well as the custom mods and stuff or if they do a slight graphics upgrade like they did with the last WoW expac.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
DurielBlack said:
My 8800 GTX from like 2006 or whatever runs it on ultra at 1680x1050 with no problems (in 2v2s at least). This game is probably pushing its limits during the large battles though.

I want to build a new comp in the next year or so I think, that way I will be future-proofed for the next two SC2 games as well as the custom mods and stuff or if they do a slight graphics upgrade like they did with the last WoW expac.
my 8800 GT runs this fine on Ultra all. I updated my CPU Memory to more modern stuff though. Can run at 45-60 FPS for most part unless alot of action

delirium

I'm having an issue where after I patch the game and launch it, it loads for a second then crashes. I can't even make a character profile to report it on Battle.net. I even tried reinstalling and repatching. Anyone know about this?

Ashhong

fucking hate getting double teamed in a FFA with friends. got reaper harass in the back while other guy was hitting me with a warpprism drop in my nat. i was doing a damn good job until terran fucking dropped thor on me

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Ashhong said:
fucking hate getting double teamed in a FFA with friends. got reaper harass in the back while other guy was hitting me with a warpprism drop in my nat. i was doing a damn good job until terran fucking dropped thor on me
that reminds me of the Day9 cast....GUYS ITS A FREE FOR ALL!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
mbmonk said:
Is it pretty standard as Protoss to put 3 probes per assemilator for gas, and roughly 2 probes per mineral patch?
yes for gas, alittle more than 2 per patch for minerals.

i dont really keep count though, i tend to just eyeball it. :(

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Okay, I'm installed and patched up. Bnet name is:

Mengy.craft

See you guys online!

mbmonk

Pandaman said:
yes for gas, alittle more than 2 per patch for minerals.

I ran test of 2 probes per mineral patch and 3 per mineral patch. 2 per seemed better, didn't try 2.5 per patch though :D.

Pandaman said:
i dont really keep count though, i tend to just eyeball it. :(

Lol. Neither do I, but I like having a solid number as a guide.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So how do chat rooms work in this game? I really liked the old Battle.net's system, but I can't seem to find any chat rooms in SC2.

aznpxdd

Zefah said:
So how do chat rooms work in this game? I really liked the old Battle.net's system, but I can't seem to find any chat rooms in SC2.

There aren't any chatrooms right now, you'd have to be invited to one. Just add some people from the list and ask them to invite you to the chatroom.

Chris R

mbmonk said:
I ran test of 2 probes per mineral patch and 3 per mineral patch. 2 per seemed better, didn't try 2.5 per patch though :D.

Lol. Neither do I, but I like having a solid number as a guide.

Thanks
For a normal 8 mineral patch, I believe the "best" number is 18 harvesters or 2.25 per node. Saw some very complex math equations somewhere on these beautiful interwebs stating that much as fact (while also stating that high yield bases aren't worth the hastle).

vazel

Banned
I love the scalability of this game. My gaming PC's motherboard is RMA'ed so I'm having to use my backup PC with an Athlon XP 2800+ and Geforce 6200 and I'm getting framerate in the 20s. I only played in the beginner practice match so far though.

Milabrega

Since patch I can't go longer then 20 minutes without having the beta client crash. Looks like I won't be able to play for a week or two. Hope you pulled out the win JonAmikar. The Ultralisks building should put us over the top.

DurielBlack said:

Did they upgrade Warcraft 3 graphics in the expansion pack? I couldnt notice any upgrade in graphics.

Spl1nter

Milabrega said:
Since patch I can't go longer then 20 minutes without having the beta client crash. Looks like I won't be able to play for a week or two. Hope you pulled out the win JonAmikar. The Ultralisks building should put us over the top.

shame it didnt :D To bad the patch fucked up your client.

Top Bottom