• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
1. It looks a bit busy right now, I can't tell what the starting bases are.
2. Awesome, I've love to test it with you sometime.
3. Symmetric is okay, you can add garnish later.

Immortals kind of remind me of Reavers. Except they are tougher and dont do splash. I see a lot of videos of them being loaded into warp prisms and dropped in battles or used to harrass.

Can't wait to finally get to be able to re-create my account tomorrow and play some SC2, haven't been able to since patch 9.

Edit:
Also that map looks cool. I would add a watchtower in the middle maybe. Shared bases without the retarded huge ramp and super-easy expos looks like a good idea. Its almost the map Twiligth Fortress should have been.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Trasher said:
Mid-game push with about 4 immortals, 8ish stalkers, 8ish zealots, and about 4 sentries does the trick almost every time.

Also, don't forget to bring a probe with you to put a pylon down for close proxy reinforcements.
Now i been getting fast mutas from zerg....fucckk this shit man.

Corran Horn said:
I cannot beat zerg as protoss unless I push really early :/

When they got mass units Im always fucked, even with Immortals/colossus :/

I've been pretty successfull against zerg when I get a colossus out as fast as I can. On the other hand, when I don't catch sight of a spire and see tons of mutas coming my way.. I basically just say gg. That and cloaked banshees seem to be my downfall =(

Halycon said:
1. It looks a bit busy right now, I can't tell what the starting bases are.
2. Awesome, I've love to test it with you sometime.
3. Symmetric is okay, you can add garnish later.

Yeah it does look busy but a big part of that is due to having to zoom out to show it all in 1 screenshot, the details are lost and it's hard to see ramps and destructible rocks and such. The start locations are the four elevated greenish areas. The main choke is on the opposite end of the opponent's side, while there's a destructible choke in the front of each base leading to the middle of the map.

I forsee some problems with my layout as is but would like to test it first before I start jumping to conclusions, but thanks for the input and the offer to test it out sometime. :)

And yeah, symmetrical is essential for a balanced map obviously, I guess I meant I wanted to spice up the art of it by varying the look a bit of the start locations and the two temples on either side, misc. border terrain, doodads, etc. That will come after testing the layout though.

Edit: Hopefully this helps. The circles are start locations. The X's are destructible rocks. The arrows are the main chokes for the start locations. MS Paint FTW:

io2494.jpg

IceMarker

MisterAnderson said:
So I just finished my 2v2 map (enough to at least test it), but for the life of me I can not figure out how to lay down start locations...I used to mess around with the old BW and WC3 editor and I remember it being easy to find. Maybe I'm just missing something. Does anyone know where I can find this? And am I able to test the map out in a custom game or that's yet to come in an upcoming patch?
To set Start Locations go to Layer -> Point. (Or just hit P on your keyboard.) Then select Start Location and place it where you want. I suggest if you're making a melee map to first set down a quick Hive/CC/Nexus first to see where the start location should be placed next to minerals/gas as it won't tell you where you can't place it like you would a normal base. And yes, you can test your map, you just need to set proper player properties.
Edit: Uh-oh, I hope you built your map from the start with map-bounds in-mind. Otherwise you're gonna have a hard time rebuilding it to fit the boundaries.

Also, nice map, better than my first go at a 4 player map. :lol

"Lockey Isle"
4lkpvk.jpg

Haly

I just won a game where my windows toolbar blocked half the minimap.

Yay void rays!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Woah, you guys are making maps already. Outstanding!!

I just lost two games in Copper League, one to mass mutas and the other to a banshee rush. I wonder if I might get demoted to the practice league, LOL.

Okay so I just went and loaded up my map again to figure out how to publish it, and it looks like this (sorry for posting another picture, I made it smaller this time)

xnzpf7.png

The lighting completely changed and the shadows are disabled. The graphics in general look like they are medium or low or something...it just looks messed up. I tried turning shadows on and it gave me this message:

Warning: You tried to view shadows while your graphics options have shadows disabled. Please set your Shadow Quality under Video Preferences to Medium or higher.

Anyone have any idea what's going on and how to fix this?

Edit:
watervengeance said:
The rush distance is quite long. Imagine scouting the wrong way in a 1v1 game. :lol

The rush distance is actually probably much shorter than say, Desert Oasis. The map itself isn't that big although it has the illusion of looking big. The destructible rocks make the distance between bases much shorter, and also it was pretty much made with only 2v2 in mind. It would be a sucky map for 1v1 since you could start right next to each other.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I've got a question, how can I tell if there is a GAF chat channel going? Or even yet, how can I start one if there isn't one running?

Trasher

Mengy said:
I've got a question, how can I tell if there is a GAF chat channel going? Or even yet, how can I start one if there isn't one running?
Ask a few GAF members on your friends list, and if I'm on just ask me. I usually am always in the conversation.

MrMister said:
Argh my bandwidth!

To answer your question Anderson, Go to preferences -> Video, and make sure your settings are at least at medium.

Ah thanks, funnily enough everything was set to ultra, but when I hit "okay" it "refreshed" my settings and went back to normal.

IceMarker

^No problem!

Anyways, working on my second map, I'm just gonna go through and make a single map for each tileset. Now working on "Spit Shine Station".

okno

Just got the beta tonight! Really liking it, so far, but I don't like how much it really feels like SC1. That's not really a complaint, as there are loads of really neat new stuff, but I guess I was just expecting something a little more different.

That said, anyone willing to play a couple of rounds with an absolute scrubb? I haven't played SC1 or any RTS games in years, so I'm pretty slow at the moment, but I' catching on fairly quickly. So, I'll be on most of the night tonight. My name on bnet is preservative.fruit. If you want to play, either message me here or there.

Olivero

I don't know how or why but I've won like 4 games in a row. It feels good man.... Real good. I'll be out of copper league in no time!

okno said:
Just got the beta tonight! Really liking it, so far, but I don't like how much it really feels like SC1. That's not really a complaint, as there are loads of really neat new stuff, but I guess I was just expecting something a little more different.

That said, anyone willing to play a couple of rounds with an absolute scrubb? I haven't played SC1 or any RTS games in years, so I'm pretty slow at the moment, but I' catching on fairly quickly. So, I'll be on most of the night tonight. My name on bnet is preservative.fruit. If you want to play, either message me here or there.

Sure, I'll play with you. I still have to make a name, the download is just finishing.

Meeru

Banned
if u can private message alumnus.mosaic or valenti.valenti we can invite you to our gaf conversation (kinda like a bnet channel)

Haly

I can't believe I lost to turtleray AFTER I scouted it.

Olivero

Corran Horn said:

Man.. that first person perspective is cool. Imagine custom games where someone builds units and you shoot... that old dream of an RTS FPS is possible with this editor!!

Kagami

MisterAnderson said:
The reason Marauder's are so fat are to give them a clear silhouette and distinction from marines. Another reason why they probably got rid of field medics and combined their role with the dropship is for this reason, not including the practicality of it from a game design standpoint. Something that has always bothered me about other RTS games is that often times I find myself wondering where the hell I put that one unit I built...10 minutes later I find out it was mixed in with another group all along and I couldn't even see the difference.
On this topic, I sometimes feel that SCVs and Reapers look too similar.

Olivero said:
Man.. that first person perspective is cool. Imagine custom games where someone builds units and you shoot... that old dream of an RTS FPS is possible with this editor!!

The FPS looks really weird, but that's what you get for a game not designed to look amazing zoomed in.

But holy shit, the Top Down shooter looks like it would be so much fun. They could do SOOOOOOOOOOO much with this.

MrMister said:
It's a bug, close the updater and restart SCII and you should be fine.

The number in the upper left is going from 0.8.0.xxx to 0.9.xxx

Does that mean they didn't roll all the patches into one file?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
MisterAnderson said:
So "Test Document" runs the level in the editor, but is there a way to publish and host a game with custom maps yet? Or has that yet to be implemented?
no. They said next patch prolly

Ashhong

MisterAnderson said:
So "Test Document" runs the level in the editor, but is there a way to publish and host a game with custom maps yet? Or has that yet to be implemented?

nope, dont think u can test the maps yet. btw id be happy to test with u once we can

Haly

Ashhong said:
why does this prevent blink ins?
Because to blink in you need vision, the turret is there to kill any scouting probes that might be providing that crucial vision.

IceMarker

Ashhong said:
nope, dont think u can test the maps yet. btw id be happy to test with u once we can
Actually you can test the maps, just set starting locations, and then in player properties set player 1 to user and then Start Location 001. The rest of the players are set to Computer and then their respective starting positions. Unfortunately though, we can't 'test' maps in multiplayer until we can publish to BNet.

Anyways, here's Spit Shine Station (or SS Station). A simple (and very small) 1v1 map I made in a few hours, play tested by me. I even got the hang of making correctly sized mineral lines and ramps that you are able to wall off normally, unlike my first map.

"Spit Shine Station"
b6elw8.jpg

Up next... well I haven't got a name yet, but Char is the next tileset. Name suggestions welcome! :lol

Chris R

Looks great! Only suggestion I would have is to only have a single vespene in the starting location to force expansion :D Quick, dirty, micro heavy map that looks like.

rhfb said:
Looks great! Only suggestion I would have is to only have a single vespene in the starting location to force expansion :D Quick, dirty, micro heavy map that looks like.

The new standard is 2 vespene geysers per base, unlike StarCraft 1 which was only a single one. And yeah, looks great man. I just sorted out my map bounds (wasn't too hard, copy and pasted into a larger sized map) and changed up some stuff by testing with myself, but I'll try what you said and test it with actual computers.

MrMister said:
"Spit Shine Station"

Completely awesome! And, you have to be the same MrMister that was giving me tips and chatting up while we watched StaR.Sun's live stream a few nights ago, talking about nerd rage and mmm balls. Thanks for helping me out, I'm Dronehouse.nyc if you want to add me.

IceMarker

MrCompletely said:
Completely awesome! And, you have to be the same MrMister that was giving me tips and chatting up while we watched StaR.Sun's live stream a few nights ago, talking about nerd rage and mmm balls. Thanks for helping me out, I'm Dronehouse.nyc if you want to add me.
Holy crap that's you! :lol

MisterAnderson said:
The new standard is 2 vespene geysers per base, unlike StarCraft 1 which was only a single one. And yeah, looks great man. I just sorted out my map bounds (wasn't too hard, copy and pasted into a larger sized map) and changed up some stuff by testing with myself, but I'll try what you said and test it with actual computers.
Indeed, there are basically two styles for laying down mineral/gas lines. Minerals in center with a geyser on each side of the line or two on one side. And glad you got the bounds figured out. :lol

Thanks for the compliments btw guys.

JWong

Banned
MrMister said:
"Spit Shine Station"
You need a lot more paths between the bases because you can definitely turtle up. This map favours air units too much because it's too constrained for ground units, especially with one ramp to the main.

I'm not sure how much resource you are allocating, but with no natural, it's going to be really slow game.

Ashhong

Halycon said:
Because to blink in you need vision, the turret is there to kill any scouting probes that might be providing that crucial vision.

oh thats what i meant, yea i knew that. but if say you had an observer, you cant get that in range of the ledge for either the stalkers to attack the turrets or blink up? i dont know the range numbers on the vision vs turrets

anybody know if there is a performance hit if i play in windows fullscreen? i feel like i should be getting better performance than what i am currently getting. playing on ultra which are the recommended settings at 1680x1050. wondering if playing in normal mode will be better

Haly

Ashhong said:
oh thats what i meant, yea i knew that. but if say you had an observer, you cant get that in range of the ledge for either the stalkers to attack the turrets or blink up? i dont know the range numbers on the vision vs turrets
Yeah, you can float the observer just outside the turret's range.

Still either scan your base or build a turret against toss, he'll be observing you.

IceMarker

JWong said:
You need a lot more paths between the bases because you can definitely turtle up. This map favours air units too much because it's too constrained for ground units, especially with one ramp to the main.

I'm not sure how much resource you are allocating, but with no natural, it's going to be really slow game.
I made the map with "quick" in mind. In fact the rush distance is so short it takes a group of Mards and Marines to reach the opponents main in around 12 seconds. And I'm glad you mentioned air units because I also designed the map for those too, especially transports. Let's say you end up in a position where you have turtled up and your opponent won't let you out of your own ramp, a possible solution would to be to tech and get units that can transport your army/workers over to the expansions, letting you effectively flank his army out front and then proceeding to push into his base.

Trust me, the map is much deeper than you see in that preview image. :D

Is there a way to lower the water level? When I choose water and place it down there's no options I can see to choose what level it's placed. And the only other tool selection is remove water.

IceMarker

MisterAnderson said:
Is there a way to lower the water level? When I choose water and place it down there's no options I can see to choose what level it's placed. And the only other tool selection is remove water.
Man, you should be glad I'm on GAF late tonight making maps! :lol

When you go to add water, there should be a bunch of buttons that selects the kind of water/lava/acid you want, under that should be a button that says "Edit Water", click that and there will be an option to set the height.

Top Bottom