• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Yaweee

Kodiak said:
OK what the fuck, blizz. I just won 4 games in a row, like completely fucking owned them, and I get down-ranked to bronze?

and out of the eight games I played so far today, I only lost 2. I'm totally confused by this.

It rejudges you every X number of games, by my understanding. Were those ten wins against people of a lower rank/league? Check your match history. You may have been losing many games against equal or higher people, and only winning those against lower leagues.

It feels like it uses an MMR system like WoW's Arenas, but a bit more complicated to account for league differences. Winning a few against lower rated and lower leagued players wouldn't increase your MMR enough to account for a bunch of previous losses against people your own rating/league.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Yaweee said:
It rejudges you every X number of games, by my understanding. Were those ten wins against people of a lower rank/league? Check your match history. You may have been losing many games against equal or higher people, and only winning those against lower leagues.

It feels like it uses an MMR system like WoW's Arenas, but a bit more complicated to account for league differences. Winning a few against lower rated and lower leagued players wouldn't increase your MMR enough to account for a bunch of previous losses against people your own rating/league.

hmmm... I see, that makes too much sense for me to be angry :lol

Yaweee said:

I have a feeling that it sets you into the other league before it actually switches you as well. That's why you always hear about people going on a losing streak and being bumped up or absolutely destroying the enemy and then moving down.

Yaweee

NovemberMike said:
I have a feeling that it sets you into the other league before it actually switches you as well. That's why you always hear about people going on a losing streak and being bumped up or absolutely destroying the enemy and then moving down.

I don't think that's explicitly what is going on, but it is a decent explanation. Rather, the matchmaking system pits you against players with similar Match Making Ratings (MMRs). If you've been winning a lot in Silver and are generally rather high, your MMR will eventually rise high enough to be roughly equal to some people in Gold or Platinum. Like a regular rating system, your MMR will rise faster when you beat higher rated people, eventually placing you above whatever cutoff or condition the league system thinks should be the distinction between leagues.

In WoW, the MMR system is the same basic idea as the rating mechanisms, and your team MMR is I think the average of whatever players are currently in the group?

This is all just speculation on my part, as I'm fairly new to the Beta, but it makes quite a bit of sense when comparing it to the WoW system of visible team/personal ratings, and slightly-hidden matchmaking ratings.

Chris R

What would be the best T counter for mass Mutas? Me and my brother are doing a bunch of matches, right now the series is tied. I play random, he plays Zerg. He uses the same strategy over and over (mass mutas). He is getting better though, as he now builds detector units so I can't proxy DTs when I'm P into his resource line :lol

This was my first time getting T though, and I haven't really played them before. I went with a medium sized MMM ball, as well as some Vikings. It wasn't pretty :( He wasn't straight Mutas, as he had some Ultras as well (didn't push out early enough and he eventually ended up with a bunch of bases).

Won

There is no such thing as a good counter to Mutas in this game. But if you mean in an actual combat situation, Thors can be pretty awesome.

Yaweee

rhfb said:
What would be the best T counter for mass Mutas? Me and my brother are doing a bunch of matches, right now the series is tied. I play random, he plays Zerg. He uses the same strategy over and over (mass mutas). He is getting better though, as he now builds detector units so I can't proxy DTs when I'm P into his resource line :lol

This was my first time getting T though, and I haven't really played them before. I went with a medium sized MMM ball, as well as some Vikings. It wasn't pretty :( He wasn't straight Mutas, as he had some Ultras as well (didn't push out early enough and he eventually ended up with a bunch of bases).

If he has that many more bases, there's not much you'll be able to do to counter anything. Marauders are useless against mutas, so unless he is mixing in some units early on, just go straight marines (and maybe medivacs), with eventual Thors (they have AOE anti-air, and decent armor so muta bounces won't do much at all). Thors also one-shot hydralisks, kill roaches pretty quick, and do so much damage per shot that the Ultralisk armor won't mean much at all.

Meeru

Banned
rhfb said:

marines. You just need equal amount in cost for marines vs mutas. Ultralisk are weak against marauder. Have the marines focus on mutas while marauder take on ultras

Chris R

Oh damn, totally forgot about Thors :lol My only factory was attached to a reactor to try an early Hellion push. As soon as that failed I fell back into MMM/Vikings

Now I know what I'll be building next time I'm T :D

Yaweee

rhfb said:
Oh damn, totally forgot about Thors :lol My only factory was attached to a reactor to try an early Hellion push. As soon as that failed I fell back into MMM/Vikings

Now I know what I'll be building next time I'm T :D

Thors are generally extremely powerful against Zerg, though they suck against zerglings, or if they are outnumbered/focused on easily. The problem is that teching to Thors fast rather than going with MMM leaves you exposed to early Roach rushes, so scouting is key.

Chris R

Yaweee said:
Thors are generally extremely powerful against Zerg, though they suck against zerglings, or if they are outnumbered/focused on easily. The problem is that teching to Thors fast rather than going with MMM leaves you exposed to early Roach rushes, so scouting is key.
He never goes roaches, zerglings straight to mutas. My hellion push was just a minuet too late as I was able to kill all his zerglings and one queen but he had 2 mutas out then :| He doesn't like to push early so I should be able to tech straight to thors.

Exhumed

Terrans have such nice counters to mutas. Since we are on the topic of mutas, what is a good toss counter to mutas? I've had limited success with storm, but the build is gas intensive so its hard to get additional stalkers to clean things up.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Exhumed said:
Terrans have such nice counters to mutas. Since we are on the topic of mutas, what is a good toss counter to mutas? I've had limited success with storm, but the build is gas intensive so its hard to get additional stalkers to clean things up.
If you're playing against zerg it never hurts to have 4-5 phoenixes. They go toe to toe with Mutas and you can supply screw them by killing overlords and raping workers/queen.

Yaweee

Exhumed said:

I've almost never seen Psi Storm used on anybody due to how long it takes and how much gas it costs to even see a single cast of it.

Generally, cannons are pretty good due to how short the Mutalisk's range is, so a few scattered around your mineral line can do a lot of damage. Stalkers are also great, just remember to focus fire and blink to mess with the Muta's aim. All of the Protoss air units also fair rather well, particularly if you watch their range and placement (try to use your Void Rays to draw the mutas within cannon/Stalker range) and focus fire.

msv

Exhumed said:
stalkers w/ sentries, or just sentries themselves worked pretty well against mutas iirc. Guardian shield blocks almost all the bounce dmg.

mbmonk

Exhumed said:

The others have better suggestions, but if you already have some Sentries then you can use Guardian Shield spell.

I used that w/ some stalkers and were able to beat back some Mutas. But it was me and another low level player so your mileage might vary.

Having flying units, like the Pheonix, is always a better option, but you could use it as a bridge to get there. Especially if you have turned your Gateways into Warpgates.

EDIT: Beaten!!!

Haly

The key weakness of stalkers/sentries against mutas is that they're simply not fast enough to deal with worker harass, especially if you have an expo up.

Exhumed

Halycon said:
The key weakness of stalkers/sentries against mutas is that they're simply not fast enough to deal with worker harass, especially if you have an expo up.

This!

I am really enjoying my storm build against terran MMM balls (feedback on the Medivacs, had one guy cursing because he couldnt figure out why his medivacs werent healing:lol) and Zerg. I think I am going to throw some air units into the mix as a backup. That should help out with cleaning up the mutas. My biggest issue has been tracking them down before they mass into a huge muta fleet.

Haly

Exhumed said:
This!

I am really enjoying my storm build against terran MMM balls (feedback on the Medivacs, had one guy cursing because he couldnt figure out why his medivacs werent healing:lol) and Zerg. I think I am going to throw some air units into the mix as a backup. That should help out with cleaning up the mutas. My biggest issue has been tracking them down before they mass into a huge muta fleet.
Place an observer on or outside their base. Look for a spire, and see where the mutas are rallying. Most of the time, they'll try to hide in the unreachable corners.

Halycon said:
How can you say stalkers aren't fast enough when you can get blink, or even warp them directly to your mineral line. Don't be afraid of using cannons as well, especially setting up an expansion, 4 cannons makes a big difference.

I don't Mass MMM. I like my Marines and Banshee combo. Use marines to distract the enemy and fooling him onto showing that I have no army, then use Banshees to wipe him off the planet.

I remember a match against Protoss in Scrap Station. I was going for a mass marine and banshee attack. When you have not played as other units (I'm solely Terran), sometimes you miss out on certain units, in this case the ship that works as a portal and Dark Templar. When I had around 5 Banshees and over 40 Marines, Dark Templar entered the base and killed EVERYONE on ground. What's worst is that I had used all the energy of Command Center and couldn't spot them. I was PISSED and frustrated but I acted quick and made my Command Center hover. As soon as I found out that Templars can't attack air, I send in my Banshees and killed all his workers and Zealots waiting in the base. Then I decided to destroy his buildings one bullet at a time. He just stood there and observed his Dark Templars in denial. Then he messaged "this is dumb" and left! :lol

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Won said:
There is no such thing as a good counter to Mutas in this game.

Zerg: Hydras. Pound for pound, hydras are better in raw numbers when the two attack each other. Mutas just have more mobility.

Protoss: Sentries + Stalkers, Phoenix

Terran: >Number of marines, Thors, Vikings

ZealousD

Halycon said:

Just 3 cannons behind your mineral line is usually enough to scare a player into backing away from a mineral line harass, even if he has the raw numbers to beat them..

Meeru

Banned
ZealousD said:
Zerg: Hydras. Pound for pound, hydras are better in raw numbers when the two attack each other. Mutas just have more mobility.

Vikings are weak against mutas. Better range but in equal numbers they lose.

ZealousD said:
Just 3 cannons behind your mineral line is usually enough to scare a player into backing away from a mineral line harass, even if he has the raw numbers to beat them..

In cases like these, I focus on Pylons and solely on Pylons. So much fun disabling the entire base by shooting at Pylons! :D :D

First game playing last night -

Tell the guy about 5 minutes in "Sup"

"Hey"

"I'm no pro - so don't worry too much"

"lol I just installed the Beta"

15 more minutes go by

He rushes me with like 5-6 units, takes out some workers (obviously knows something of what he's doing)

I stroll behind his expansion with my Colossus walking up a wall, DESTROY his entire expansion. He has TONS of photon cannons lined up to protect his main, and my 5 Colossus just sit back and wipe them out one by one. while this is happening his carriers fly in (maybe 4), and I send in my 21-ish Stalkers and Blink them in front of my Colossi (which he hasn't seen yet), just out of range of the remaining cannons.

He cries "GG, I thought you were no pro"

"I'm not, but you tried very well!"

Gameplay is great. All I really needed was 2 unit types (even though I had more).

Meeru

Banned
Major Williams said:
First game playing last night -

Tell the guy about 5 minutes in "Sup"

"Hey"

"I'm no pro - so don't worry too much"

"lol I just installed the Beta"

15 more minutes go by

He rushes me with like 5-6 units, takes out some workers (obviously knows something of what he's doing)

I stroll behind his expansion with my Colossus walking up a wall, DESTROY his entire expansion. He has TONS of photon cannons lined up to protect his main, and my 5 Colossus just sit back and wipe them out one by one. while this is happening his carriers fly in (maybe 4), and I send in my 21-ish Stalkers and Blink them in front of my Colossi (which he hasn't seen yet), just out of range of the remaining cannons.

He cries "GG, I thought you were no pro"

"I'm not, but you tried very well!"

Gameplay is great. All I really needed was 2 unit types (even though I had more).
Can you get on we need 2 more for gaf game

Exhumed

shagg_187 said:
In cases like these, I focus on Pylons and solely on Pylons. So much fun disabling the entire base by shooting at Pylons! :D :D

Yep, very effective way of shutting down a base. When I set up a Cannon field I make sure the pylon fields intersect slightly so they have to take both down. One thing I do miss is the insane HP that pylons have in SC1. They feel really frail in SC2 so far. So easy to burn down a couple Pylons, especially with DTs :D

ZealousD

shagg_187 said:

That's why you build 2 pylons, not 1. =P

ZealousD said:

This. What I tend to do in ZvZ games when my opponent goes Mutas is make a Nydus worm on each of my expansions, that way my Hydra army can be wherever it needs to be to negate Muta harass.

Edit: How do you rotate doodads? Like the space platform cables or cliff edge doodads?

webrunner

shagg_187 said:

14dg7s7.gif

SEE WHAT I'VE BEEN SAYING ALL THIS TIME!?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Won said:
There is no such thing as a good counter to Mutas in this game. But if you mean in an actual combat situation, Thors can be pretty awesome.
Exactly. The problem lies in the mobility of Thors. You need 2/3 and 2/3 dropships to effectively 'contain' the mutalisks. Since a lot of maps don't have land boundaries air can just go off the map and fuck with you. Really dislike that.

Vikings do well defensively with support since you can micro and not get hit (that much). But mutas just give a lot of map control.

As T scan and try to find some weakness you can exploit.

Won

ZealousD said:

There are plenty of counters, but I wouldn't call any of them "good".

Haly

Orangepeel said:
How can you say stalkers aren't fast enough when you can get blink, or even warp them directly to your mineral line. Don't be afraid of using cannons as well, especially setting up an expansion, 4 cannons makes a big difference.
Because blink needs archives and 150/150 gas. By the time mutas are rolling out you won't have it unless you rushed it and are massing stalkers.

Stalkers have the most mobility of all land units, true, but they're still no match for mutas. Stalkers with blink are like pretend aerial units.

If you're warping into your mineral line they can just focus down the pylon. Or fly away.

@WON: early game phoenixes rape early game mutas. It's when they start coming out in large swarms that you'll have trouble. Luckily, phoenix is great against zerg in general so even if they tech switch you can go to town on their ovies/queens/workers before they get spore up.

Y-Z said:
I am actually starting to win games now :D Still loved it even though i got owned at first :D

Best. Feeling. Ever!

A month ago, I was a Starcraft newbie. Even though I had played SC:BW it before with my friends, I never had time to learn the game and played it like I played Warcraft and they would always own me.

Now. I am a motherfucking killing machine. Yes, I am no match for Gold/Platinum players but goddamn I can give a good fight and make them say things like "goddamn ur so annoying!" :lol

Trasher said:
How do you check your game history to see what rank your opponents were?

Replay. Check after-game stats and click on the arrow beside your opponent's name and check profile.

If replay doesn't work then check your profile as it will show you your last 5 matches. Click on them and you can see the rank.

Top Bottom