• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
MrMister said:
Man, you should be glad I'm on GAF late tonight making maps! :lol

When you go to add water, there should be a bunch of buttons that selects the kind of water/lava/acid you want, under that should be a button that says "Edit Water", click that and there will be an option to set the height.
Fuck it Ill wait until there is a strategy guide on map macking

Ashhong

im personally just waiting for the UMS. god i spent so much time playing paintball, lurker defense, and marvel vs capcom 2. cant wait!:lol

valenti said:
Need some gaffers for 2on2s

i dont know if you want me because i suck...but ill sign on anyway and see if you still need another. nvm looks like u got it

JWong

Banned
MrMister said:
I made the map with "quick" in mind. In fact the rush distance is so short it takes a group of Mards and Marines to reach the opponents main in around 12 seconds. And I'm glad you mentioned air units because I also designed the map for those too, especially transports. Let's say you end up in a position where you have turtled up and your opponent won't let you out of your own ramp, a possible solution would to be to tech and get units that can transport your army/workers over to the expansions, letting you effectively flank his army out front and then proceeding to push into his base.

Trust me, the map is much deeper than you see in that preview image. :D
It's not quick. You only have the standard 8 nodes 2 gas. Risk for the rich is too high because it's too hard to defend when it's halfway to the other's base.

I think you're going to get other results when you actually get to test it. The design hinders strategy because of the lack of resource placements.

IceMarker

Almost done with my third map "Forsaken Crater" which is set on Char. It's looking good and I'm even impressing myself. I'll need some GAF opinions on whether to make an 8 player version of the map, when I post it.

Also, I think after I'm done making all the maps I want to make, and if Blizzard still doesn't patch in BNet publishing by that time, I'll release all the maps in a .zip for you all to test vigorously for me enjoy. :D

EDIT:
JWong said:
It's not quick. You only have the standard 8 nodes 2 gas. Risk for the rich is too high because it's too hard to defend when it's halfway to the other's base.

I think you're going to get other results when you actually get to test it. The design hinders strategy because of the lack of resource placements.
I suppose you could call SS Sation a rush map then. Too bad the computer doesn't do much, I can't really test it as if it was a true match. Either way we'll find out once BNet Publishing is available.

Also, I think you'll enjoy my next map JWong as I'm placing plenty of expansions this time, I decided to give myself room to work this time.

mcrae

stupid partner didnt realize that mid-early mutas are for harassing when ive got their army busy, instead he just wastes them on a bunch of marines. gahh that could have won us the game with the econ advantage

mcrae

just played my last one for tonight. was a pretty fun game, got about 16 broodlords in the end with various lings/roaches/mutas/corrupters. contain+expand ftw. first 200/200 army in all the games ive played lol.

i've gotta re-add everyone valenti, but ill msg next time im on

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Goddamn this game is addicting! I have pretty much stopped playing anything else and have even been watching replays and shoutcasted matches for new strategies. I am really starting to see how Starcraft achieved its e-sport status.

Ashhong

what is a good time to have banshees and cloak out? i had banshee and cloak done at about 6 minutes...is that as pathetic as it sounds?

i felt like i was teching nonstop and dont know how much faster i could be unless i built rax earlier than 11

Ashhong said:
what is a good time to have banshees and cloak out? i had banshee and cloak done at about 6 minutes...is that as pathetic as it sounds?

i felt like i was teching nonstop and dont know how much faster i could be unless i built rax earlier than 11

Pretty sure that 6-7 minutes is a standard time to either make a timing push or expect your opponent to make a push, so it's probably a good time to have it out by then. And sorry I didn't get on earlier, was having fun screwing around with the editor working on this map.

Ashhong

MisterAnderson said:
Pretty sure that 6-7 minutes is a standard time to either make a timing push or expect your opponent to make a push, so it's probably a good time to have it out by then. And sorry I didn't get on earlier, was having fun screwing around with the editor working on this map.

well i only had 1 and like 4 marines lol. was building 2 to harass. noticed the zerg had no lair so i went for it. first time success with scouting lol

no worries, did u make anything new?

Ashhong said:
well i only had 1 and like 4 marines lol. was building 2 to harass. noticed the zerg had no lair so i went for it. first time success with scouting lol

no worries, did u make anything new?

Yeah scouting is essential, otherwise it's just building stuff and hoping things will work out, heh.

As far as the editor goes, I finalized the layout of that 2v2 map I was working on and renamed it to "Chaos Sanctum." It's hard to see the detail of the map in the screenshot, but here's how it looks:

k4ufwg.jpg

And started working on a space platform map, so far I have it named "The Conduit." I've only started working on the top left of the level so far. It's more square than the first one I made and I'm going for a more flexible design that can be played as a 1v1 or a 2v2. Like Kulas Ravine or something.

124k505.jpg

IceMarker

Boy it's late, but I finally got finished with Forsaken Crater. Took a long time, but after altering several things I've come out with a final product that I'm happy with.

"Forsaken Crater"
244dv1f.jpg

On this map I wanted the center to be where most of the battles take place, either inside the crater or on the rim, but I didn't want every battle to be there. There are multiple routes between you and your opponent(s), the fastest route involves breaking rocks or traveling over some cliffs or both. Inside the crater lies two rich mineral lines along with an open battle zone, if you can keep the center, you may well be in a very stable economic position. Also, all around the map are Watch Towers to help watch for enemies coming in from the sides. Other than that, this is meant to be a fun melee map and I hope you all get to enjoy it when Blizzard allow publishing to BNet!

*whew*

P.S. Anderson, the yellow dotted line is the camera limit and the solid blue line is the playable zone. In the screenshot above my post you have a lot of playable areas outside the blue line. Nevermind, you just have tiny pieces sliced out that shouldn't matter.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
PillowKnight said:
Just got in a bit ago, if any newbies want to play add me ; pillow.pillow.
HI PILLOW.

WELCOME TO THE CLUB.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Well, I’m definitely an amateur at SC2. I’ve been watching youtube videos nonstop since the beta launched and I thought I had a good grasp on the game, but now that I’m playing my record is 4-9 in the Copper League, and 3 of those 4 wins were hard fought. Of course most of my losses were to bronze players, but after watching some of my replays I can see that my macro is my biggest weakness. In almost every one of my games my economy is way below my opponents, in a few games I had almost half of the harvesters that my opponent had. I’m frankly amazed that so many of my games were as close as they were considering how much they out resourced me. I simply have to build more peons. It’s like once I go into the army macro / base building mode I totally forget to build harvesters.

I also need to push earlier. In a few of my replays I noticed that if I had just pushed around the 8 minute mark I would have rolled my opponent. But I hold back and then their huge econ advantage just overtakes me. I also need more Zerg practice. I’ve done random for every game so far and I’ve only gotten Zerg twice, lol. Although, I really like the way the Zerg are in this game. They may be my favorite so far. But I’m staying random for now, I need practice with all 3 races.

This game is freaking addicting though, I’m having a blast even when losing. One of my best games so far was a 40 minute TvsT victory for me on Metalopolis. I had an MMM ball with tanks versus his MMM ball with Vikings. We ended up trading bases when our armies missed each other, but both of us sneaked SCV’s out and setup new expos. The game then became an expo hunt race as we both scrambled to rebuild. I found his first but his Vikings scouted me enroute and both of our last remaining armies clashed right in front of his last CC. In the end my tanks won it for me, I won with one tank and one marauder left, which then proceeded to kill his last SCV’s and slowly take down his CC. He was a nice player too, we had nothing but accolades and praise for each other as I finished him off. This game rocks, it feels much improved over SC1 already to me. I might as well uninstall SC1, heh.

I need to get more practice and claw my way out of Copper though…

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The GAF 1v1 tournament is reaching the end point! We've now got our matchup to determine the final three. Loser will be getting the 4th place award.

Mengy said:
Well, I’m definitely an amateur at SC2. I’ve been watching youtube videos nonstop since the beta launched and I thought I had a good grasp on the game, but now that I’m playing my record is 4-9 in the Copper League, and 3 of those 4 wins were hard fought. Of course most of my losses were to bronze players, but after watching some of my replays I can see that my macro is my biggest weakness. In almost every one of my games my economy is way below my opponents, in a few games I had almost half of the harvesters that my opponent had. I’m frankly amazed that so many of my games were as close as they were considering how much they out resourced me. I simply have to build more peons. It’s like once I go into the army macro / base building mode I totally forget to build harvesters.

I also need to push earlier. In a few of my replays I noticed that if I had just pushed around the 8 minute mark I would have rolled my opponent. But I hold back and then their huge econ advantage just overtakes me. I also need more Zerg practice. I’ve done random for every game so far and I’ve only gotten Zerg twice, lol. Although, I really like the way the Zerg are in this game. They may be my favorite so far. But I’m staying random for now, I need practice with all 3 races.

This game is freaking addicting though, I’m having a blast even when losing. One of my best games so far was a 40 minute TvsT victory for me on Metalopolis. I had an MMM ball with tanks versus his MMM ball with Vikings. We ended up trading bases when our armies missed each other, but both of us sneaked SCV’s out and setup new expos. The game then became an expo hunt race as we both scrambled to rebuild. I found his first but his Vikings scouted me enroute and both of our last remaining armies clashed right in front of his last CC. In the end my tanks won it for me, I won with one tank and one marauder left, which then proceeded to kill his last SCV’s and slowly take down his CC. He was a nice player too, we had nothing but accolades and praise for each other as I finished him off. This game rocks, it feels much improved over SC1 already to me. I might as well uninstall SC1, heh.

I need to get more practice and claw my way out of Copper though…
'

also as a noob (someone who hasn't played original SC in maybe 7 years), I found it advantageous to just continually pump out harvesters. Bind your command center to a number key, and whenever you have minerals that you're not using for other structures/units/upgrades, build a harvester. It's 3 harvesters to every mineral node/geyser... that's about 30 harvesters max for any one base. Also, if you're terran, use the mule!

My biggest recommendation would to not go random, I would take a race and stick with it until you can viably counter and pose a challenge for each race. I've been playing for 2 weeks, I just now feel comfortable countering protoss as terran. As a side note, it's essential to know what's going on in he enemy base and to be able to react to what they're building. An early robotics facility is basically an invitation for an early mmm ball. If i see a trio of warpgates, I'll rush out banshees and go for the workers.

Now I have to work on countering Zergs as terran. I can defend myself from early ling rushes, but zergs can gather so friggin fast, I inevitably get overthrown by brood lords... nasty suckers.

My last two games vs Terran, I won in 9 and 11 minutes after annihilating their SCV's with 2 banshees. I just do my best to keep an eye on their base, many times terrans seem to focus too much on defending the choke point while leaving their command center and supply lines wide open.

mbmonk

Just got moved down from Silver to Bronze. Always said that is where I belonged; it just took time for me to prove that to Blizzard :D

If you are in game and a friend messages you how do you respond to your friend instead of your in game opponent?

I will be on tonight so all yun's new players add me: mbmonk.FunkyTown

Calantus

mbmonk said:
Just got moved down from Silver to Bronze. Always said that is where I belonged; it just took time for me to prove that to Blizzard :D

If you are in game and a friend messages you how do you respond to your friend instead of your in game opponent?

I will be on tonight so all yun's new players add me: mbmonk.FunkyTown

I believe you type /r and lets you reply

Yaweee

I stopped going random yesterday and just started playing Protoss. Clawed my way from 30th in my Gold division up to 4th. Do people tend to stay near the tops of their division, or is it very common for people to move up? I'm playing a roughly equal mix of Platinum and high-ranked Gold players.

Is the eventual plan to "freeze" leagues and divisions a month or so before the end of a season, so people can actually climb to the top and stay there so they make it into end tournaments?

Any word on if there will be a FFA ladder, or larger FFA types? You win/loss points when you play FFA games (if you check match history), but it doesn't appear to be visible anywhere else.

Mengy

MrCompletely said:
'

also as a noob (someone who hasn't played original SC in maybe 7 years), I found it advantageous to just continually pump out harvesters. Bind your command center to a number key, and whenever you have minerals that you're not using for other structures/units/upgrades, build a harvester. It's 3 harvesters to every mineral node/geyser... that's about 30 harvesters max for any one base. Also, if you're terran, use the mule!

My biggest recommendation would to not go random, I would take a race and stick with it until you can viably counter and pose a challenge for each race. I've been playing for 2 weeks, I just now feel comfortable countering protoss as terran. As a side note, it's essential to know what's going on in he enemy base and to be able to react to what they're building. An early robotics facility is basically an invitation for an early mmm ball. If i see a trio of warpgates, I'll rush out banshees and go for the workers.

That's the irony, I have always hotkeyed my CC to "0" and initially I do just as you said, but after awhile I get focused in other directions and I just stop thinking about the mineral line. I think my biggest problem is that the game moves so fast and I don't have the practice yet to be able to multitask enough. It's something I need to work on, but I almost with the game was a notch or so slower.

Also, according to my replays my APM averages somewhere around 30. Man, that sounds pathetic!!!! :D

I plan on picking a race to focus on, but until I play them all enough to get a feel for each one I really can't decide yet. In SC1 I almost always went Terran. I kind of want to focus on a different one this time.

Milabrega

Watch replays. In the top left is a drop box tab to pull down options. The bottom option iirc is APM. Keep these maps coming they all look great guys.

mcrae

Milabrega said:
Watch replays. In the top left is a drop box tab to pull down options. The bottom option iirc is APM. Keep these maps coming they all look great guys.

so i know that the pros shoot for 300 apm in SC1, does anyone know what they do in sc2?

Mengy

mcrae said:
so i know that the pros shoot for 300 apm in SC1, does anyone know what they do in sc2?

From the pro videos I've watched it seems like 150-200 is top level for SC2 so far. But, it also seems like APM is slightly less important in SC2 than it was in SC1, as the interface is much more streamlined now. I mean, two of the guys I beat had much higher APM's than I did, while I have also lost to a few with lower APM's than me. Of course, it might not really matter down in the Mighty Copper League. :D

Mudkips

Banned
If I make a map, is there any way for me and my friends to play on it right now?

Need some fucking FFA maps for 3 people.

And since people here seem to have experience with the editor...

Can I only make ramps up "cliff" objects (and not terrain)?

Is all terrain passable unless there's a "cliff" object? I was messing around and my duders had no problem scaling giant mountains in the terrain.

How do you control whether or not a cliff is accessible to a reaper?

How can you constrain where air units can travel? I've heard you can do this, and I think there is a UI option to show/not show passable airspace.

And whoever it was that mentioned the tip about placing a physical command center down (instead of a point) in order to get the mineral / gas distances optimal, thanks!

Menelaus

Banned
Ragnar.lodbrok here. Just got in yesterday, enjoyed beating people who had obviously never played the original.

Still suck, though.

Zzoram

Mudkips said:
If I make a map, is there any way for me and my friends to play on it right now?

No. Map sharing is getting patched in later. Once it's in, if it works like other Blizzard RTS, then all you have to do is host a lobby with your map and anyone who joins will automatically download it.

Calantus

i'm playing 2v2s with a copper level player and damn 2v2 is just rediculous. People refuse to leave the game when its obvious they lost. This guy turtled up with so many banshees, tanks and turrets. Just a long drawn out game for nothing. Oh and the skill level in 2v2 is so terrible, we're in high silver and the skill level we are playing at and against is not near 1v1 silver league.

Yaweee

I think I'll make a "Fourteen For All" map sometime tonight. Or perhaps call it "Loster Temple".

Any suggestions on whether there should be any natural expansions, or should all of them be contested?
I'm thinking 14 start locations, 14 nearby expansions that are equidistant between the start points so none clearly belongs to a given player, and another seven High-Yield expansions circling the middle?

Maybe some boulders to create shortcuts between adjacent main bases to help speed things up late game?

EDIT: What is preferable in making the expansions less important: fewer crystals/geysers, or lower limits on how much mineral/gas is in the crystals and geysers?

Mudkips said:
Can I only make ramps up "cliff" objects (and not terrain)?

Is all terrain passable unless there's a "cliff" object? I was messing around and my duders had no problem scaling giant mountains in the terrain.

How do you control whether or not a cliff is accessible to a reaper?

How can you constrain where air units can travel? I've heard you can do this, and I think there is a UI option to show/not show passable airspace.

Ramps are much more flexible than they were in SC1. You can control their width to the point where it just looks like a straight up elevation change instead of a ramp, or you can use the terrain formation tool to change the height of terrain although I tend to only use that for the edges of the map to avoid weird warped playable terrain.

Cliff's are always accessible to a reaper if there is a 1 level difference, so if you don't want Reaper's to access an area it has to be 2 elevations higher or lower, or have a gap between it (abyss or water).

Not sure how you can constrain air units, at least not if you want your map to be "official-ish." I'm sure there's a way, but the map wouldn't be accurate to normal play.

A question of my own: In the Space Platform tileset, is it me or is the "organic cliffs" and "Manmade cliffs" options messed up? It's impossible for me to combine the two cliffs, and when I draw them out it does some weird inside out kind of thing. I want to have the middle of the map and two outer expansions be rock/asteroid looking while the rest have manmade/metal cliffs but it's just not working out.

Also I'll take on Blood Bath next.

Edit: Forsaken Crater looks sweet, can't wait till we can try all these maps out in a real game.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
OK what the fuck, blizz. I just won 4 games in a row, like completely fucking owned them, and I get down-ranked to bronze?

and out of the eight games I played so far today, I only lost 2. I'm totally confused by this.

Top Bottom