• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Meeru

Banned
okno said:
Valenti, I'm so sorry for that game earlier, haha. That was one of my worst games, I just need some coffee I guess. Played a game right after we played and swept the board, so let's just chalk our game up as a "fluke."

And sorry being kind of weird in the chat. I thought you guys were from GAF, but I wasn't sure.

I'm eating dinner right now, but I'll be back on in about 45 minutes if anyone wants to play. Just add preservative.fruit.
It's ok I 1on1ed drop afterwards

Kodiak690

Neo Member
ZealousD said:
They're going mass vikings because you're going mass Colossi.

Just a few Colossi are usually enough to help counter against MM balls. What are you supporting them with? You should be mixing those Colossi with other ground units, like zealots and stalkers.

Void Rays are very situational and not something you should be massing, either.

That's the thing... I've been getting a TON of stalkers, some sentries and a few zealots with maybe 2-3 colossi behind them.. They typically set up siege tanks to siege mode, bring vikings in and destroy my colossi.. By that time, my colossi are gone and my stalkers have been devastated by the siege tanks/MM.. somehow I lose every battle this way.

I try to get VRs just to harass and attack expos, but they usually have 20+ vikings that take out my VRs.. I've played games without VRs.

My main force is usually a mix of a lot of stalkers and some sentries and zealots..

Maybe I need to try using more immortals. I just like stalkers because theyre fairly strong AA as well as on the ground..

Kodiak690 said:
That's the thing... I've been getting a TON of stalkers, some sentries and a few zealots with maybe 2-3 colossi behind them.. They typically set up siege tanks to siege mode, bring vikings in and destroy my colossi.. By that time, my colossi are gone and my stalkers have been devastated by the siege tanks/MM.. somehow I lose every battle this way.

I try to get VRs just to harass and attack expos, but they usually have 20+ vikings that take out my VRs.. I've played games without VRs.

My main force is usually a mix of a lot of stalkers and some sentries and zealots..

Immortals are a must.

Trasher

Woot. Climbed to number 1 in this 2v2 platinum division with a buddy of mine. We were 13-3 today I think. He was Zerg, I was Protoss, and we pretty much won every game by going Lings and Stalkers. Stalkers + Blink is so GG in 2v2. :)

pedr0theli0n

Neo Member
so I'm sure this has been asked before, but are there any other good youtube commentators besides HD and Husky? I looked into psystarcraft but he plays only zerg, so his don't quite interest me as much...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Weird. I won 4 games in a row using one of my Terran strategies last night and now just lost 6 in a row using the same strategy with even better execution. People are getting good!

Also, has anyone ever fought a match where the opponent wasn't "slightly favored"?

JoeMartin

valenti said:
It's ok I 1on1ed drop afterwards

Which is a nice way of saying I was taken to the 0wn20n3.

Seriously tho I'm pretty awful at 1v1s - my strategies consist of build units -> a move towards enemies, and 9/10 if the play knows what they're doing in the early game they stand a good chance of winning. I am pretty pr0 at macro tho, so if I do manage to drag it out I can usually with that way.

Ashhong

nilbog21 said:
Man, im pretty sure some guy used some sort of keyboard disabling hack against me -_-;

:lol

actually i think this is a bug with the game. it happens if you mess around with the 'in-game chat' thing. did you at all? i think what happens is that the game glitches and thinks you are still using the chat client, so keyboard strokes dont register to the actual play.

minimizing and restoring the game fixed it for me

As in all cases, I find myself watching hd/husky/psy YouTube videos more than actually playing the game itself. Those feeds are great - are there any others I should be subscribed to?

One day I'll have a better gaming rig to play sc2, played some 100 or so games early on the beta and now need a new computer :S

mbmonk

I put together a list of, what might be, lessor known keyboard commands for myself just thought I would share them.

Append to Control Group - [Shift + Control Group Number]
Camera Save - [CRTL + F5 - F8]
Camera View - [F5 - F8]
Idle Worker - [F1]
Drag Scroll - Hold Middle Mouse Button
Town Camera - Backspace
Voice Chat (Push To Talk) - [Grave] (Tilde Key)
Status Bar All - [Alt]
Status Bar Allies - [Open Bracket]
Status Bar Enemies - [Close Bracket]
Sub Group -

Previous Sub Group - [Shift + Tab]
Drag Selection Cancel - [Esc]
Mine Map Ping - [Alt + G]
Center Camera - [Shift + F]
Team Resources - [Ctrl + F12]
Mini Map Colors - [Alt + F]

Finally got my first mother ship. Exhumed showed me some of it's capabilites in a practice game. After seeing it the next game I was going for it :lol. Luckily I was in the copper league and the terran was really passive. So I had an easy time expanding and getting the resources. It was a blast to use.

ultron87 said:
Hmm, I got placed in Silver. I don't think this is going to go well for me.

Don't worry, I got placed in gold. Never even played sc1, you'll be raped a couple times, then you'll learn to just sit back and accept it... then you'll start doing the raping. It's the natural cycle.

ultron87

Yeah, it's just that the placement games I won I feel like I only won because the enemy made stupid stupid mistakes. I won the last one because the guy went for mass Void Rays, but didn't really do it very fast allowing me to waltz in and murder all his probes.

Another I won just by building four Dark Templars and having them kill everything when I noticed that my Observer had been sitting in the enemy's base unmolested for awhile. Though I would've won that one anyway because I had a bunch of units otherwise while the other guy had 3 Forges (and not a single photon cannon).

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I love 2v2 when you win the game yourself :D

DT'ed one base and destroyed much of his probes/plyons to produce. Then a few more unsuccessful attempts but eventually tech to void rays and massed up like 20+ of them and destroyed everything. Those things in that large destroy anything so quickly attacking them once in high damage mode lol

fanboi

Banned
Jesus, the maps you have made is awesome... want to play em asap.

Also played against Belgorim yesterday... lost the first match thought I was playing bad and would take him...

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah... no.

First he raped me, then when I was crying he raped me a bit more... then when I finally thought it was over, he brought his friends to the party...

ultron87 said:
Yeah, it's just that the placement games I won I feel like I only won because the enemy made stupid stupid mistakes. I won the last one because the guy went for mass Void Rays, but didn't really do it very fast allowing me to waltz in and murder all his probes.

Another I won just by building four Dark Templars and having them kill everything when I noticed that my Observer had been sitting in the enemy's base unmolested for awhile. Though I would've won that one anyway because I had a bunch of units otherwise while the other guy had 3 Forges (and not a single photon cannon).

that's how it is in placement games, I won a game vs some zerg player with 5 phoenix, just picking up his queens, then killing his overlords.

By the end I was sitting at 1200min because I have no clue how to micro/macro properly.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
After losing 7 games in a row I just said fuck it and tried a crazy strategy. I set up 4 barracks with reactors and just pumped out marines non-stop and sent them in once I amassed enough. I made sure to upgrade them with stimpaks an the two basic damage / armor upgrades from the engineering bay. I think I had like 150 marines when I stormed my opponent's base for the final push. Was quite epic.

Ashhong

mbmonk said:
I put together a list of, what might be, lessor known keyboard of commands for myself just thought I would share them.

Finally got my first mother ship. Exhumed showed me some of it's capabilites in a practice game. After seeing it the next game I was going for it :lol. Luckily I was in the copper league and the terran was really passive. So I had an easy time expanding and getting the resources. It was a blast to use.

isnt it Ctrl+# to append to control group? i feel like it is

Chris R

mbmonk said:
I put together a list of, what might be, lessor known keyboard of commands for myself just thought I would share them.

Any way to toggle the health bars? So I don't have to be holding down ALT all the time I mean. Also in some of the game casts I've seen the camera follow a unit as it moves, no clue how to do that either (Not the follow the person's movement, that is easy)

Corran Horn

Ashhong said:
isnt it Ctrl+# to append to control group? i feel like it is
Shift adds units to the group and Ctrl creates the group anew. Either way works unless you want to create a new group then use ctrl

Corran Horn

rhfb said:
Any way to toggle the health bars? So I don't have to be holding down ALT all the time I mean. Also in some of the game casts I've seen the camera follow a unit as it moves, no clue how to do that either (Not the follow the person's movement, that is easy)

In options there is a mode to toggle healthbars always on. And if you click and hold on the units portrait it follows the unit.

Ashhong

Corran Horn said:
Shift adds units to the group and Ctrl creates the group anew. Either way works unless you want to create a new group then use ctrl

ooh, i use shift when i click and that adds the unit to the group selection, didnt know i could use that to actually add it to the control group. good stuff

Meeru

Banned
rhfb said:
Health bars in gameplay options, left click and hold onto unit's portrait as it moves

celebi23

Motherfucker >_< Still no Mac beta >_< Kinda shocking considering Blizzard's amazing treatment towards Mac users in previous betas (Mac beta available same day as the PC beta).

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
GOD DAMMIT SO MUCH RAGE

I was just having the most epic back and forth terran vs terran and then ALL OF THE SUDDEN WINDOWS AUTOMATIC UPDATE computer automatically closes SC2 and restarts.

christ.
:lol

And apparently the reason I got downranked was not because of the aforementioned theory in the thread, I noticed I had wayyyy more losses than I have actually played and I found out my roommate had been playing :lol

god damn I love this game so much.

I'd like to play some gaffers, I'm kodiak.jnb add me fools!

How do you beat a Marauder/Marine/Ghost stim timing push as protoss? It's before you can reasonably get Colossi and pretty much everything from gateway and robo dies to stimmed marauders after the emp goes off.

Midas

celebi23 said:
Motherfucker >_< Still no Mac beta >_< Kinda shocking considering Blizzard's amazing treatment towards Mac users in previous betas (Mac beta available same day as the PC beta).

Ouch, that's not good. I wonder if you can play with Virtualbox or VM Ware or such?

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
NovemberMike said:
How do you beat a Marauder/Marine/Ghost stim timing push as protoss? It's before you can reasonably get Colossi and pretty much everything from gateway and robo dies to stimmed marauders after the emp goes off.

If you can't get collosi by the time they get ghost, you need to level up your macro skillz

fanboi

Banned
NovemberMike said:

Psi storm psi storm psi storm.

Oh did I say Psi storm?

EDIT: Feedback the ghost

Kodiak said:
If you can't get collosi by the time they get ghost, you need to level up your macro skillz

Ghost Academy is about as hard to get as Cybernetics Core. The push has the same timing as a standard marauder push with stim-packs.

Chain for ghosts: Barracks -> Ghost Academy

Chain for Colossi: Gateway -> Cyber Core -> Robotic Facility -> Bay -> 140 second wait for thermal lances.

For the record, I don't consider Colossi without thermal lance a counter for marauders. Against stimmed marauders a Colossi without lance gets one shot off.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
NovemberMike said:
Ghost Academy is about as hard to get as Cybernetics Core. The push has the same timing as a standard marauder push with stim-packs.

Chain for ghosts: Barracks -> Ghost Academy

Chain for Colossi: Gateway -> Cyber Core -> Robotic Facility -> Bay -> 140 second wait for thermal lances.

For the record, I don't consider Colossi without thermal lance a counter for marauders. Against stimmed marauders a Colossi without lance gets one shot off.

generally speaking most terran players will go factory > starport before putting down a ghost academy. which puts the timing for collosi/ghost on pretty even footing.

LaneDS

Kodiak said:
generally speaking most terran players will go factory > starport before putting down a ghost academy. which puts the timing for collosi/ghost on pretty even footing.

That may be true, but that doesn't apply to his question about M+M+Ghost timing push. I'd like to know a good counter to this as well.

Kodiak said:

Hence a marauder/ghost timing push. This is about an attack that has 0 medevacs and 0 factories. I'll try to find a replay but the most recent time I've seen this was on my roommate's computer. 1v1 Plat, for the record.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zefah said:
After losing 7 games in a row I just said fuck it and tried a crazy strategy. I set up 4 barracks with reactors and just pumped out marines non-stop and sent them in once I amassed enough. I made sure to upgrade them with stimpaks an the two basic damage / armor upgrades from the engineering bay. I think I had like 150 marines when I stormed my opponent's base for the final push. Was quite epic.
Shoulda pressured early since you would have been out producing him. Stream marines to his base for 15 minutes :lol

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
LaneDS said:
That may be true, but that doesn't apply to his question about M+M+Ghost timing push. I'd like to know a good counter to this as well.

obviously it depends on the game, but if the timing is really early and you dont have stalkers/sentrys/collosi ready you can do several things.

Cannon cheese can be really effective against terran, especially if you catch them off guard. This can usually buy you enough time to grab high templars, and if you can protect them from EMPs a few psy storms will do the trick.

I also find most terran players are ill prepared for a void ray push fairly early.

Meeru

Banned
Kodiak said:
Glad you said most terran players ;)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
NovemberMike said:
Go Phoenix after you get your stalker/sentry out. Unit is woefully underused.
2Gate + Star, stop at 4 or 5 if he is countering with starport, otherwise get like 8 of em. Just make sure to pick off the ghost at the correct time (e.g. camp the rax to force map control / kill ghost) or spread them in groups to evade the single EMP.

celebi23

Midas said:
Ouch, that's not good. I wonder if you can play with Virtualbox or VM Ware or such?

Yeah, it's kinda fucked up :lol I tried it with CrossOver Games (what I use to play Steam/Steam games) & it crashed during the install process. Might re-download the files & give it another go.

Kodiak said:
obviously it depends on the game, but if the timing is really early and you dont have stalkers/sentrys/collosi ready you can do several things.

Cannon cheese can be really effective against terran, especially if you catch them off guard. This can usually buy you enough time to grab high templars, and if you can protect them from EMPs a few psy storms will do the trick.

I also find most terran players are ill prepared for a void ray push fairly early.

You have to go into a game intending to void ray rush or cannon cheese, so these aren't counters to this push. I'm talking about stuff I can do if I scout and see a ghost academy.

Go Phoenix after you get your stalker/sentry out. Unit is woefully underused.
2Gate + Star, stop at 4 or 5 if he is countering with starport, otherwise get like 8 of em. Just make sure to pick off the ghost at the correct time (e.g. camp the rax to force map control / kill ghost) or spread them in groups to evade the single EMP.

Eh, this build gets a couple marines to cover the gas used for stims and the ghosts which leaves Phoenix a little weaker, and if you've invested heavily into phoenix at all you won't have the ground army at this point to hold off just the marauders and marines imo.

Fuck it, I might just start doing fast void rays as a base start in PvT.

scoobs

started out as terran and got bored and switched to protoss...man protoss is so much more interesting and fun to play than the other 2 races. I'm finally getting to the point where I only lose to platinum players, and I'm about to get up to top5 gold. Love sentrys :)

Top Bottom