• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Interfectum

Hazaro said:
I'm very grateful for MBS and automine as it RAISES the bottom skill level (See: me + a ton of others), but things like removal of move/shoot LOWERS the skill ceiling that players can reach.

You don't know that. The game isn't even out of beta yet. No one knows what strategies people will find in the coming years. Just because some high end strategies that worked in SC1 don't work now doesn't mean there won't be others that come into play.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Interfectum said:
You don't know that. The game isn't even out of beta yet. No one knows what strategies people will find in the coming years. Just because some high end strategies that worked in SC1 don't work now doesn't mean there won't be others that come into play.

We only know that it's mostly gone now. Sure new tactics may be born from future expansions, patches and further play of Starcraft 2, but I don't see how that is an argument to remove a very important element of high end gameplay from the original Starcraft. I don't see why people are defending the removal of move and shoot and 'dancing'. Does it make the game better that people now have less control of their units on a micro level? Does it make sense lore-wise that units lost mobility over the years? I really don't quite understand what the perceived pros are for this decision.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The Lamonster said:
oh...I'm sure they'll put a DND function in SCII.

I hope so. Those chat windows can be very distracting in a heated game.

On a similar note, does Blizzard plan to have chat rooms ala the original Battle.net in retail? I really, really miss them. If not, what is the reasoning behind removing them?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
coamithra said:
WHAT?! (emphasis mine)

Yeah, this really got me. Complaining about the vast improvements to the interface is mind-boggling. He's one of those guys that confuses APM with skill. If he doesn't want 255 unit selection, worker rally points, multiple building selection, etc, than he really, really should stick to the original Starcraft. These are must-have improvements for 99.9% of the player base. With complaints like that, I'm surprised he hasn't complained about the improved pathing, yet.

Interfectum

Zefah said:
We only know that it's mostly gone now. Sure new tactics may be born from future expansions, patches and further play of Starcraft 2, but I don't see how that is an argument to remove a very important element of high end gameplay from the original Starcraft. I don't see why people are defending the removal of move and shoot and 'dancing'. Does it make the game better that people now have less control of their units on a micro level? Does it make sense lore-wise that units lost mobility over the years? I really don't quite understand what the perceived pros are for this decision.

I'm not defending any removal or addition to a game mechanic. I'm trusting Blizzard knows how to make a game. I'm questioning a "pro" that wrote a factually incorrect and insulting article who thinks the sky is falling because of it.

Tacitus_

coamithra said:
Some choice quotes:
Starcraft had a one size fits all damage system. Now how the hell did Blizzard balance it despite not being able to give units arbitrary bonus damage values towards specific armor types
Starcraft had multiple damage and unit types that interacted differently.
?

Yeah this part was excpectionally stupid. While SC1 didn't have +dmg for different armors, it had -dmg instead.

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_types

E: Oh btw, did Amazon send out keys retroactively for preorders that were made before they got keys?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Tacitus_ said:
Yeah this part was excpectionally stupid. While SC1 didn't have +dmg for different armors, it had -dmg instead.

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_types

E: Oh btw, did Amazon send out keys retroactively for preorders that were made before they got keys?

Yes they did. I pre-ordered the collector's edition the day it became available on Amazon and was sent a key later on.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Interfectum said:
I'm not defending any removal or addition to a game mechanic. I'm trusting Blizzard knows how to make a game. I'm questioning a "pro" that wrote a factually incorrect and insulting article who thinks the sky is falling because of it.

The guy is insulting and sensationalist, but he has a good point in my opinion. There is a huge discussion from far more level-headed folks in that same thread (which is pretty massive at this point).

Tacitus_

The Lamonster said:
I don't understand why being able to move and shoot is such a big deal. Was SC1 like that?

Yeah, for example Vultures need to face their target to shoot, but rapidly altering between patrol and move commands you could have it "shoot out of its ass" like Tasteless put it. Not to mention the other glitches you could do with them like having them squeeze through between two mineral patches to a backroute to lay mines on an enemy expo (normally you'd either need to mine a way in or air lift to get there).

Minsc

Gold Member
People just want the easy way out, I'm sure of it. Rather than trying to find new glitches, they are just falling in to the pattern of relying on old ones, and now that they don't work the same way, they bitch.

The vulture example above, is an example of a broken gameplay element, that "pro" players can abuse to beat lower levels players who don't. There's no reason for it, versus some other feature you could have actually legitimately given the unit, where you can click a button and it performs a longer or quicker range shot.

It seems to me people just want ways of being able to overcome a losing battle through micro, and Blizzard has said they intend for that to happen. Units weak against other units will be able to defeat them via superior micro.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is there anywhere I can view all of the HDH matches in chronological order? The Youtube page I saw seemed a bit disorganized.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Zefah said:
Is there anywhere I can view all of the HDH matches in chronological order? The Youtube page I saw seemed a bit disorganized.
There isnt much order too it atm. Its all the first round of 16 atm. The ones ustreaming today were the last of the round 16.

Tacitus_

Zefah said:

The first round just finished (all first round games should be up in a few days) so it doesn't matter yet. Just go by the match #, or the upload date from their channels.

webrunner said:
There's two kinds of pros:

Pros who recognize that it's how everything works together and how they use this knowledge that matters.

And pros that think that interface changes which make it easier for non pros is somehow encroaching on their territories, making everyone a pro.

Things like MBS, these are just tools. Cheap hammers don't make everyone a carpenter, but it sure makes it less of a pain to drive in nails.

This is the post of the day. Nicely put, webrunner.

Mikey Jr.

So guys, I have NEVER, IN MY LIFE, played an RTS.

I have a key and am currently downloading SC2 as I type this. How fucked am I?

I have been watching a shit ton of HDstarcraft and Husky commentary on youtube, so I hope I understand the concept.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Mudkips said:
Since the "pros" started measuring their ePeen in APM.

With enough practice and experience, anyone can master a build order and timing. There is a fairly low ceiling at how good one can get at the macro game. It is in the micro game that a player's dexterity, awareness and multi-tasking skills are really put to the test. There is no ceiling there and that is why Starcraft is an e-sport.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Mikey Jr. said:
So guys, I have NEVER, IN MY LIFE, played an RTS.

I have been watching a shit ton of HDstarcraft and Husky commentary on youtube, so I hope I understand the concept.

If you're watching videos you will probably be able to pick up on concepts fairly quickly. Don't expect to be able to play like the pros right off the bat, though. That just isn't going to happen.

You will get destroyed in your first matches most likely, but don't let it get to you. One of the coolest features of Starcraft 2 is that it saves an interactive replay for each match that you can go back and watch. Every time you lose, go watch the replay. See what your opponent did. Steal their strategies. Watch what you did and try to identify where you screwed up. You can learn very quickly this way.

Mikey Jr.

Zefah said:
If you're watching videos you will probably be able to pick up on concepts fairly quickly. Don't expect to be able to play like the pros right off the bat, though. That just isn't going to happen.

You will get destroyed in your first matches most likely, but don't let it get to you. One of the coolest features of Starcraft 2 is that it saves an interactive replay for each match that you can go back and watch. Every time you lose, go watch the replay. See what your opponent did. Steal their strategies. Watch what you did and try to identify where you screwed up. You can learn very quickly this way.

Thanks. Few questions.

1. Is there some sort of AI I can battle against?

2. I should focus on one race at the beginning right? Which one is the most noob friendly?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Mikey Jr. said:
Thanks. Few questions.

2. I should focus on one race at the beginning right? Which one is the most noob friendly?

If you had previous experience with Warcraft or other more standard RTS games then Terran would probably be the most noob friendly, but since you don't, I think you can try all of them. Protoss and Zerg might be a bit more "busy", though.

You can create a custom game and set the opponent to be computer controlled. The only difficult setting available is "very easy", where the computer barely does anything, so this is only really useful for testing build orders and build timings or familiarizing yourself with the controls, buildings and units.

delirium

Man, people in the Silver League suck. I've really only lost 1 game after placement (I was doing all random during my placement matches). The game that I lost was me being stupid and ignorant of the game. I thought phoenixes counter carriers and didn't micro my voidrays/stalkers to target carriers instead of the AI targeting interceptors.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
delirium said:
Man, people in the Silver League suck. I've really only lost 1 game after placement (I was doing all random during my placement matches). The game that I lost was me being stupid and ignorant of the game. I thought phoenixes counter carriers and didn't micro my voidrays/stalkers to target carriers instead of the AI targeting interceptors.

You don't make sense. You state that you chose random during your placement matches, sort of implying that you weren't taking them seriously, and then you complain that people's skill level isn't up to your own now that you got serious after being placed in a league where you don't belong. I'm sure you'll be placed in Gold soon enough if you keep winning. Take your placement challenges seriously if you want to be placed properly?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Mikey Jr. said:

Don't jump right into playing against people. Play with the AI first. It's intentionally set very low so that you basically have to be doing nothing in order to lose. Experiment with the units and races there first.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Mikey Jr. said:
Thanks. Few questions.

I'd suggest Protoss as a good introduction.

Learn a build order too, that will help tons :D

Yaweee

delirium said:

In addition to what Zefah said, are you sure you're playing people that are in Silver? The only way to be sure is by checking their profiles after the game; in Silver, you can reasonably expect to play people both one league lower and people two leagues higher.

delirium

Zefah said:
You don't make sense. You state that you chose random during your placement matches, sort of implying that you weren't taking them seriously, and then you complain that people's skill level isn't up to your own now that you got serious after being placed in a league where you don't belong. I'm sure you'll be placed in Gold soon enough if you keep winning. Take your placement challenges seriously if you want to be placed properly?
Well yea, during my placement matches I was going randoms to see the races. I'm not really up on Starcraft 2 until I got my key. I'm still somewhat learning but from the people I'm playing (some of my matches were against people who had the advantage or whatever the loading screen said. Some of them are really terrible. One person that had an advantage against me only has 1 rax/1 fact when I was already on my third warpgate/second expansion.

Yaweee

I think Void Rays are drastically overpowered in Protoss v. Protoss matches, to the point where getting just one or two quick and fully charged (which isn't hard in the matchup) is often enough to chew through any number of Stalkers that they could possibly have. All you have to do is charge up against a pylon or something, then go on a killing spree. It's gotten to the point (upper Gold, low Plat) where the vast majority of PvP games have at least one player rushing VRs and usually winning because of it. Phoenixes get chewed apart unless you manage to intercept the VRs before they reach your base.

The powerup effect used to be more gradual, rather than binary like it is now? I'd rather prefer a linear ramp up and ramp down than the system currently in place.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yaweee said:
I think Void Rays are drastically overpowered in Protoss v. Protoss matches, to the point where getting just one or two quick and fully charged (which isn't hard in the matchup) is often enough to chew through any number of Stalkers that they could possibly have. All you have to do is charge up against a pylon or something, then go on a killing spree. It's gotten to the point (upper Gold, low Plat) where the vast majority of PvP games have at least one player rushing VRs and usually winning because of it. Phoenixes get chewed apart unless you manage to intercept the VRs before they reach your base.

The powerup effect used to be more gradual, rather than binary like it is now? I'd rather prefer a linear ramp up and ramp down than the system currently in place.
VR's used to have 4,7,10 and now are 5-> 5 -> 10 or something.

They got more expensive, but stronger vs non armored (slightly), but weaker vs armored units. (I think)

mcrae

Yaweee said:

umm, doesnt the power-up reset with each new target?

Mudkips said:
7WN8NG-R6H8-RRRWB9-GMD6-BT2KKF
27D8DH-WGRV-4X6EWJ-TH9F-96VRDB

Shit, don't have a Blizzard game on my Battle.net account right now. Apparently that means I can't get to the beta at all.

Edit: Hmmm.. they don't work anyways from what I can tell. Are you just being an asshole or did someone else grab them already?

2nd Edit: I guess they were up there for quite a while considering. So you aren't an asshole, I'm just really late to the party. :( I was so excited for a split second.

mcrae

MisterAnderson said:
My understanding is that it stays charged as long as it's firing or switches targets quickly.

interesting. definitely going to put this knowledge to use in microing them around. thx guys.

mbmonk

delirium said:
Well yea, during my placement matches I was going randoms to see the races. I'm not really up on Starcraft 2 until I got my key. I'm still somewhat learning but from the people I'm playing (some of my matches were against people who had the advantage or whatever the loading screen said. Some of them are really terrible. One person that had an advantage against me only has 1 rax/1 fact when I was already on my third warpgate/second expansion.

Sounds like the person you are talking about got put in the wrong league initially. It happens. In my placement match I had a guy quit as soon as it started. So I techincally got a win when I shouldn't have. Stuff like that happens. I got put in the Silver league when I had no business being there. Kept playing got moved to Bronze and now am find games near my skill level.

Just keep laddering you will eventually get to some players on your level.

How many games roughly have you played?

Does anyone know why on a spaceplatform map I can't put a rock cliffed platform next to a man made cliff platform? It's weird, if I start drawing out a rock platform it draws out a man made platform with an inside out rock cliff...kind of hard to explain but for the life of me I can't figure out how to work in some rocky looking terrain into my space platform level without messing everything up.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
VR charge stays up if you switch targets withing a certain sized cone in front of it.

Whether this is intentional or not I have no idea.

Flank void rays whenever possible.

Top Bottom