• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
valenti said:
We seriously need some way to get all the NEW gaffers to post their char.id in one big pot.
should just give out email addys on the online forum or something. Gives more options for those types of friends that SC ID friends

Trasher

lordy88 said:
Mac Client is up!!!!!

"The StarCraft II Mac beta client is now available for testing on North American servers, and we encourage Mac users to download this client through Battle.net and begin testing. We plan on expanding the Mac beta to support additional regions and languages in the near future."

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=23094049324&sid=5000
Great news!

Halycon said:
VR charge stays up if you switch targets withing a certain sized cone in front of it.

Whether this is intentional or not I have no idea.

Flank void rays whenever possible.
Whoa. Did not know that.

Yaweee

mcrae said:
umm, doesnt the power-up reset with each new target?

The Charge-Timer resets if you switch targets before the weapon is fully charged. However, if it is fully charged, you will retain the full charge as long as you start firing on a new target within 3 seconds.

So I revamped my space platform level and I'm much happier with this version. I made it more compact/smaller and changed the layout to 2v2 left vs right instead of top vs bottom.

2u8xe3d.jpg

There are a lot of tiny changes all over the place but the main ones are:

-Top and bottom middle expansions have been redesigned.
-The tower's on the left and right side were removed, and the entire elevated sections were redesigned to be expansions.
-Turning the once blocked off left and rightmost expansions into island expansions.
-Added a smoked in area in front of each base to aid players on the offense or give defenders ambush opportunities to reward scouting.
-Made Scrap Station-esque natural expansions with rocks allowing players to break through if the front door is too heavily defended.

Hazaro if you're around and see this if you could tell me if you think it's any improvement over the last version of it, I'd really appreciate it. (I'd appreciate anyone telling me any suggestions/opinions just pointing out Haz specifically since he bullet pointed a bunch of things on my previous version)

Also I still need to do a lot of work on finishing the textures up and such. (It's so fun painting textures)

Edit: I meant Hazaro, got the "H"'s mixed up lol, doh.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yaweee said:
The Charge-Timer resets if you switch targets before the weapon is fully charged. However, if it is fully charged, you will retain the full charge as long as you start firing on a new target within 3 seconds.
Correct (I feel it's more like 5 seconds though). Smart VR users will charge on a pylon or other structure before engaging.

Due to the new mechanic it can't charge to medium anymore though.

Meeru

Banned
Corran Horn said:
should just give out email addys on the online forum or something. Gives more options for those types of friends that SC ID friends
I think we need to create the SC2 list from scratch (alot are afk like panda and pez cuz of ssf4 etc, and do it like how the SC2 Beta Key begging is done (quote the char.id and reply).

valenti.valenti

IceMarker

MisterAnderson said:
So I revamped my space platform level and I'm much happier with this version. I made it more compact/smaller and changed the layout to 2v2 left vs right instead of top vs bottom.

[IMGhttp://i43.tinypic.com/2u8xe3d.jpgIMG]

There are a lot of tiny changes all over the place but the main ones are:

-Top and bottom middle expansions have been redesigned.
-The tower's on the left and right side were removed, and the entire elevated sections were redesigned to be expansions.
-Turning the once blocked off left and rightmost expansions into island expansions.
-Added a smoked in area in front of each base to aid players on the offense or give defenders ambush opportunities to reward scouting.
-Made Scrap Station-esque natural expansions with rocks allowing players to break through if the front door is too heavily defended.

Hazaro if you're around and see this if you could tell me if you think it's any improvement over the last version of it, I'd really appreciate it. (I'd appreciate anyone telling me any suggestions/opinions just pointing out Haz specifically since he bullet pointed a bunch of things on my previous version)

Also I still need to do a lot of work on finishing the textures up and such. (It's so fun painting textures)

Edit: I meant Hazaro, got the "H"'s mixed up lol, doh.
Damn! Good map! Can't wait to play it! :D

I'm currently trying to make a balanced 6-player map that works as both as a 3v3 and as an FFA and damn I have given up. Although it works well for 3v3, 2v2, and 1v1. I'll post a preview image as soon as I'm done with it.

mcrae

valenti said:
I think we need to create the SC2 list from scratch (alot are afk like panda and pez cuz of ssf4 etc, and do it like how the SC2 Beta Key begging is done (quote the char.id and reply).

valenti.valenti
mcrae.mcrae

added myself. to our 2 person list. lol.

abotu the Voidrays: people have said about 3 different things. does anyone have a source or evidence for their version of the mechanic?

also, abotu charging up on pylons... what exactly do you mean guys? like, flanking the dude's base, and just attacking the first building possible, so that you are charged once the defending units start charging in?

Milabrega

Why are you guys recreating the list? This is still up to date. Unless you are doing email lists for real ID, that's has some inherent risk associated to list it publicly, whether here or even online though. And why is no one on playing (a few are on but away)

Corran Horn

mcrae said:
abotu the Voidrays: people have said about 3 different things. does anyone have a source or evidence for their version of the mechanic?

also, abotu charging up on pylons... what exactly do you mean guys? like, flanking the dude's base, and just attacking the first building possible, so that you are charged once the defending units start charging in?

It takes approximately 3 seconds for the Void Ray to power up and power down from stage to stage.
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Void_Ray
Not sure how up to date that is from the patches but its generally true.
What he says about the pylon is to charge up the void ray to max power before engaging an army if needed. I don't always do it because I just try to sneak in and snipe a main base or key building.

alba

Little is the new Big
I'm new to the beta and looking for some new players to play with, alba.gaf is my handle. Add away! :)

Edit: I'm from Europe in case :p

mcrae

Corran Horn said:
What he says about the pylon is to charge up the void ray to max power before engaging an army if needed. I don't always do it because I just try to sneak in and snipe a main base or key building.

yeah, but where is this pylon that im supposed to be charging up on? in my own base, when i know hes about to attack? in his base, while the voidray is getting attacked?

is it cause most things will die before the voidray gets completely charged? im confused :/

also, didn't know the list was completely up to date. props for that.

Corran Horn

mcrae said:
yeah, but where is this pylon that im supposed to be charging up on? in my own base, when i know hes about to attack? in his base, while the voidray is getting attacked?

is it cause most things will die before the voidray gets completely charged? im confused :/

Im assuming he is talking about pylon on the edges of enemy base to get the charge going. I generally dont do it though because I like to go in, snipe a building or base then get out unless they have no/weak anti air or I have large amounts of VRs.

Ashhong

mcrae said:

in his base BEFORE youre voidray gets attacked. so if you are coming in from the side or something, focus fire on the pylon that is usually on the edge. by the time his units come you are fully charged. or if no units come, make your way, over to the nexus or w/e

Piggus

Am I the only person in this beta who never played the first Starcraft (or anything like it)? A friend of mine taught me the basics, but I'm still getting completely fucking owned even in the practice league. :( Oh well. Practice makes perfect I guess. :p

pedr0theli0n

Neo Member
MAC BETA IS UP!!!! gogogogogogogogogo
gl hf
there goes my life for the forseeable future. anyone feel free to add me: andvari.gybe

edit: damn, thought i was the first to post this... oh well im freakin excited

mcrae

Piggus said:
Am I the only person in this beta who never played the first Starcraft (or anything like it)? A friend of mine taught me the basics, but I'm still getting completely fucking owned even in the practice league. :( Oh well. Practice makes perfect I guess. :p

you'll definitely be at a major disadvantage having never played any real time strategy games before. but they are definitely learnable, watching your own replays and pro's replays, learning build orders, and learning what units counter what. keep up your enthusiasm :)

celebi23

lordy88 said:
Mac Client is up!!!!!

"The StarCraft II Mac beta client is now available for testing on North American servers, and we encourage Mac users to download this client through Battle.net and begin testing. We plan on expanding the Mac beta to support additional regions and languages in the near future."

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=23094049324&sid=5000

HOLY SHIT!!! wOoT!!! Downloading it now :D :D :D :D :D

edit: apparently Blizzard is somehow block the use of normal torrent clients. I was stuck at 32.7k for about 5 minutes & I decided to use the normal Downloader app. I've had it open for about 2 minutes & I'm already up to 50MB

Meeru

Banned
Milabrega said:
Why are you guys recreating the list? This is still up to date. Unless you are doing email lists for real ID, that's has some inherent risk associated to list it publicly, whether here or even online though. And why is no one on playing (a few are on but away)
Yeah, that last sentence you made is the reason why I want to start a new list.

alba

Little is the new Big
Piggus said:

Same here, never played any RTS proper and not even SC1. I'm too much of a chicken to play online right now. I've started watching replays and learning hotkeys before I attempt to do that, if you're in EU add me as a friend so we can play each other :D

ultron87

Do Protoss have any counter to a giant ball of Mutalisks besides... psi-storm I guess?

Because that is really hard to tech switch to if you've been going robo.

pedr0theli0n

Neo Member
so just tried playing the mac version, but it ran horribly... like way worse than it did via boot camp. Not sure what the deal is. I'm interested to see if anyone else experiences this. Anyway i'll definitely be playing through boot camp unless I can get it running better/until they optimize it better?

edit: by the way I have the next to newest generation macbook pro 15-inch with the upgraded gfx card. should definitely be able to play this game no problem.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
ultron87 said:
Do Protoss have any counter to a giant ball of Mutalisks besides... psi-storm I guess?

archons... i think they still have splash damage? and +10 bonus vs. biological units for a total of 35 damage. back them up with some phoenix and stalkers.

ultron87

Scrow said:
archons... i think they still have splash damage? and +10 bonus vs. biological units for a total of 35 damage.

:lol Something else on the exact other end of the tech tree. And they aren't exactly speedy devils either. I'd imagine the mutas could run around and murder most of your probes before they get there.

Am I correct in believing that Phoenixes are utterly useless for this?

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
ultron87 said:
Am I correct in believing that Phoenixes are utterly useless for this?
they get bonus damage vs. light units like the mutalisk

phoenix cost a little more than mutas and take more time to build, but they do more damage.

Phoenix: 5 (+5 vs light) (x2 attacks)
Mutas: 9

ultron87 said:
:lol Something else on the exact other end of the tech tree.
oh sorry, forgot the bit about going robo.

i think it just means you have to scout to know the mutas are coming and adjust your build to deal with the threat.

but really, you should have a few warpgates up by that point and the tech switch to archons requires a twilight council and templar archives.

if you've gone full robo, you're in trouble against mutas cause it has no anti-air. stargates are good for phoenix, but that requires putting up the stargates and then building the phoenix.

that's why i suggest gateway units such as stalkers, HTs (for psi storm), archons because you can respond quicker with warp gates and the tech switch only requires 1 or 2 buildings.

celebi23

pedr0theli0n said:
so just tried playing the mac version, but it ran horribly... like way worse than it did via boot camp. Not sure what the deal is. I'm interested to see if anyone else experiences this. Anyway i'll definitely be playing through boot camp unless I can get it running better/until they optimize it better?

edit: by the way I have the next to newest generation macbook pro 15-inch with the upgraded gfx card. should definitely be able to play this game no problem.

Seems to be a problem for most Mac users
http://forums.battle.net/board.html?sid=5000&forumId=26795000

About 30 minutes until it finishes downloading :lol

Gribbix

pedr0theli0n said:

Same here. Performance under boot camp was much better. My mbp is pretty old (late 2006) so I was already running on the lowest settings but at least it ran smoothly on windows/boot camp.

ultron87

Scrow said:
they get bonus damage vs. light units like the mutalisk

phoenix cost a little more than mutas and take more time to build, but they do more damage.

Phoenix: 5 (+5 vs light) (x2 attacks)
Mutas: 9

So I guess that would've been the answer. Though in the game that prompted the previous post there is no way I would've been able to get anywhere near enough phoenixes out to counter his Mutas by the time I saw that he had them, but that was my fault for losing an expansion to mass roaches and being forced to pump out immortals to counter them and having little to no scouting done.

I extremely envy the Zerg's ability to switch tech so damn quick sometimes.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
MisterAnderson said:
I like it!
It favors map control which is nice, but has the back routes available.

If I had to suggest something it would be to make it so the towers cannot see if someone cuts to the rocks on the top/bottom and flanks... but that might not be possible since I also want the highground between the main and the 3rd to be longer (to allow more time for units at main to travel to make it more exposed). Possibly move the towers close to middle to create the choke instead of the 2 holes?

I'm also wondering what the island expos are for in a 2v2? It seems just like a free expo for Terran, but then Lost Temple has them too :D (And they can be hopped over with blink which is good)

Since Tinypic is down here is my wonderful fixed representation of the map.
I added 2 extra green dots but those are decorative.
http://i43.tinypic.com/mwb7l0.jpg

ultron87 said:

Stalkers with blink. You need enough stalkers to do it, but blink lets you get in free shots and mutas lose to anything that shoots back (one of the least viable combat units in terms of how much damage they do and how much health they have).

mcrae

Scrow said:
archons... i think they still have splash damage? and +10 bonus vs. biological units for a total of 35 damage. back them up with some phoenix and stalkers.

archons dont have splash damage in sc2 :(

when i go heavy muta i usually get scared away by stalkers. i mostly dont have enough mutas in my harass party to contend with the stalker/sentry army. if your problem is your opponent has 20+ mutas... and you have a shitload of collossi and immortals, well then your problem is scouting. either you need to be aware and push earlier, or you can just go the base-trading route.

blitz64

I suck at this game so bad I don't even know how to walk across the map.

cliffs, what do i do? shouldn't it automatically find a way to go. What are these rocks blocking me? before I know it, my base is half destroyed.

That was my first game experience. I should find a no cliff map for a beginner.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
MisterAnderson said:
So I revamped my space platform level and I'm much happier with this version.

Yeah, definitely looking better. I just have a couple small concerns.

1.) Naturals look rather cramped. I'm not sure what your plan is for those little smokey cubby holes are, but they just seem rather useless to me. I'd take them out and then put the rocks between the island expos and the raised expo.

2.) Not sure I like the mineral placement on the top and bottom expos. A frontal attack puts the workers in immediate danger. Rotate them 90 degrees so that the minerals are along the edge of the platform.

3.) Island expansions look cramped. Can you put anything there besides a command center?

blitz64 said:
I suck at this game so bad I don't even know how to walk across the map.

cliffs, what do i do? shouldn't it automatically find a way to go. What are these rocks blocking me? before I know it, my base is half destroyed.

That was my first game experience. I should find a no cliff map for a beginner.

Pretty much all maps have cliffs. The beginner maps have destructible rocks blocking the entrance to your base though, so you have to destroy them before you can leave.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
mcrae said:
i mostly dont have enough mutas in my harass party to contend with the stalker/sentry army.
that's actually a really good suggestion. sentries mitigate HEAPS of the muta damage output. mix a few of them in with your stalkers.

ultron87

mcrae said:
archons dont have splash damage in sc2 :(

when i go heavy muta i usually get scared away by stalkers. i mostly dont have enough mutas in my harass party to contend with the stalker/sentry army. if your problem is your opponent has 20+ mutas... and you have a shitload of collossi and immortals, well then your problem is scouting. either you need to be aware and push earlier, or you can just go the base-trading route.

Yeah, that is exactly why I lost that game, as I was kind of forced to build Immortals to counter his 20 - 30 roaches only to have them chase them back to his base to run into 12 or so probably hot off the presses Mutalisks. I tried to build Stalkers but my 3 warpgates at the time were just not able to pump out enough to beat them by the time they got to my base.

celebi23

Trasher said:
Hmmmm. Just played one game on my Mac version and it ran really bad. Works much better on Bootcamp with Windows 7.

Just fucking perfect. From what I've been reading (on the Mac support forums), the Mac client is more like an Alpha client :lol Eh, I'll give at least give the beta a shot. It can only get better from here, right guys? :lol 18 minutes until it finishes downloading :lol

ultron87 said:
Yeah, that is exactly why I lost that game, as I was kind of forced to build Immortals to counter his 20 - 30 roaches only to have them chase them back to his base to run into 12 or so probably hot off the presses Mutalisks. I tried to build Stalkers but my 3 warpgates at the time were just not able to pump out enough to beat them by the time they got to my base.

Don't counterattack when you aren't ready? Just because he's running away doesn't mean you have to attack him.

Trasher

celebi23 said:
Just fucking perfect. From what I've been reading (on the Mac support forums), the Mac client is more like an Alpha client :lol Eh, I'll give at least give the beta a shot. It can only get better from here, right guys? :lol 18 minutes until it finishes downloading :lol
To be fair I had a few things running in the background that might have slowed things down a little, but I wouldn't think it would slow it down as bad as it was. I only had the settings on default and medium too. Maybe I'll try it out on the lowest settings here in a bit. The good news was I only had to download one patch unlike the Windows version. :lol

Btw dude, good to finally see you made it. :) I know how long you've been waiting. :lol

I've been holding it down for us Mac users while you have been patiently waiting for the client haha.

celebi23

Trasher said:
To be fair I had a few things running in the background that might have slowed things down a little, but I wouldn't think it would slow it down as bad as it was. I only had the settings on default and medium too. Maybe I'll try it out on the lowest settings here in a bit. The good news was I only had to download one patch unlike the Windows version. :lol

Btw dude, good to finally see you made it. :) I know how long you've been waiting. :lol

I've been holding it down for us Mac users while you have been patiently waiting for the client haha.

Good to know that I only have to instal one patch :lol I saw a suggestion of shutting down (not restarting) and then turning on the computer before playing :lol Fuck, I knew it'd be beta-quality but, during the WoTLK beta test, it wasn't this bad :lol

From what I've read about the Windows version, it's pretty stable. Blizzard only seems to be making balancing adjustments (for the most part). I really would like to know what held up the Mac client this whole time. If it was a quality-issue, then :lol

Oh & thanks. :lol I got tired of waiting for an email from Blizzard & just preordered from GameStop :lol

Just my luck that I started having logic board issues again (was "fixed" 2 months ago) right when the Mac beta launches :lol I can't fucking win :lol

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
ultron87 said:
I tried to build Stalkers but my 3 warpgates at the time were just not able to pump out enough to beat them by the time they got to my base.
when playing protoss you should have more than 3 warpgates. at least 5 imo

Corran Horn

SC2 needs to do this to all friends, not just Real ID friends

realidfriend.png

Seeing what type of game your friend is doing, how long since he has been on, who is on his friends list. Should come with normal friend mode too :/

Trasher

celebi23 said:
Just my luck that I started having logic board issues again (was "fixed" 2 months ago) right when the Mac beta launches :lol I can't fucking win :lol
Dude! I had the same problem with mine within the first month of getting it last year (when the new MBP's had just came out). Well it is now two winters ago, not quite two years yet though. Started crashing on me while playing WoW (in Naxx lawl), and even sometimes while just simply surfing the internet. Kernels ftl. Had major cooling issues with the fans which apparently stemmed from this logic board issue. Since I sent it in to get fixed though I have yet to have a problem with it.

@Corran: I agree dude. Would be nice to see what exactly everyone is doing. For example: if you see someone in a ladder game then you might not invite them to a Convo so they aren't interrupted. We should all just add one another as real friends. :lol I noticed that my real friends are never wiped even when Blizz wipes everything for a new patch.

Top Bottom