• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Random 2v2 is fine (But I think Bliz places you together now). It's Bloodbath for crying out loud :lol

Center is walkable, but not buildable. I also liked the space tile-set if you could do that, but its your choice.

celebi23

How are you guys downloading custom maps? Is there a section for these in the beta client? Maybe it's not available for Macs yet :lol

FoxSpirit

Add me:
Europe
FoxSpirit.legacy

Just did my first Quali matches, 2 lost, 2 won, next one will decide.
One time I got semi-cheesed by a guy on the fire-map who relocated his CC into the nearby free gold mine. And lucky for him, this was right under my expo cliff so he got early sieges and killed drones with scan.
I feel some rocks should block this expo so a Terran can't simply relocate into high-yield.

Had two fun wins, one was me sucking but simply out-ecoing him and then going in with like 50 lings. Sentries, Zealots and Stalkers were simply eaten.

Second one was on Blistering Sands, Z(me) vs Toss. Fast expo, caught an early Zeal+Stalk push with 4 Spine Crawlers and a few late Lings after those had perished. They didn't even get to be speedlings before they died half a minute later on way to the oponents natural.
A changeling gave me a nice qick overview with lots of Zealots... I went Muta. They just pushed back the next wave.
Weridly enough, a changeling of mine spotted even more Zealots... he didn't go Mass Stalkers in response. Mass Muta. After a short fight at his base where I kiled all Stalkers, his remains went forward to eat my base. Ignored them and just went for the kill. He just had 2 regular gates so just shut them down.
In return, he killed my expo but the spawning "death larvas" did their share. And my main simply had 5 spines going up while he killed the expo. That killed the attack.
Then my 20 Mutas just ate him up.

I really liked using the changeling, such a useful little fella :D

Hazaro said:
Random 2v2 is fine (But I think Bliz places you together now). It's Bloodbath for crying out loud :lol

Center is walkable, but not buildable. I also liked the space tile-set if you could do that, but its your choice.

I don't think you can prohibit building anymore on surfaces? Not sure...but yeah regarding the tileset, it is the space tile-set but I have the bases as asteroid surface right now. I'm going to add more platform panels on top of the asteroid surfaces, I just thought it was cool if the middle platform looked manmade to connect the outer asteroids, as if they just found a few asteroids rich of minerals so they set up shop by building a structure to connect them to make mining easy. That's my weird logic anyway lol.

So yeah, I decided for the hell of it to copy and paste the map layout side by side for a 4vs4 setup (or 8 player FFA....or an epic 1v1 lol)

It's gonna need a lot of balancing but here it is barebones and just quickly copy and pasted:

Blood Bath 4v4:
m6f77.jpg

Chris R

how do you display the yellow/blue bounds on the map?

Also, anyone else ever been SUPER lucky when it comes to scouting? I mean in the terms of what your opponent sees? Just finished a LT matchup PvT. My probe went to his base first, scouted out MMM, so I just start to tech up to void rays. Instead of bringing the probe back I setup base at the 12 O'clock position (I was 6, they were 9). 4 Stargates, 2/2 void rays, in short I won, but watching the replay, I guess he had started his third base in the natural position of the 12 O'clock base, and scouted the 3/high yields with some vikings :lol He never knew I was there, or what my tech was (two orbital commands, and NEVER a single scan... That normal for a T player? Spending all their power on MULES?)

Yaweee

DT rushing seems to work great against Terrans that try to MM Ball me, but I don't think it would work against highly skilled players. Why does it have to cost so much and take so long to build?

I had asked earlier but I don't think this was answered:

Is there a way to show the Start Locations while you're laying down minerals? I want to get the placement right.

rhfb said:
how do you display the yellow/blue bounds on the map?

Also, anyone else ever been SUPER lucky when it comes to scouting? I mean in the terms of what your opponent sees? Just finished a LT matchup PvT. My probe went to his base first, scouted out MMM, so I just start to tech up to void rays. Instead of bringing the probe back I setup base at the 12 O'clock position (I was 6, they were 9). 4 Stargates, 2/2 void rays, in short I won, but watching the replay, I guess he had started his third base in the natural position of the 12 O'clock base, and scouted the 3/high yields with some vikings :lol He never knew I was there, or what my tech was (two orbital commands, and NEVER a single scan... That normal for a T player? Spending all their power on MULES?)

That is what separates decent players from pros. A good scan is worth way more than the lost mineral.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
So it looks like they reset all player names and friend lists (boo) when they opened the beta up a bit.

Re-add me:

drevil.gaf

Chris R

MrMister said:
@rhfb
Press 'O'

@Yaweee
Just use a CC to judge placerment and then switch to start location placement.
Thanks :lol My very first map I ended up placing minerals all the way around the map to determine the bounds.

Played a lot of random 2v2's earlier, best moment so far in the beta was a game where my teammate was harassed pretty bad and decided to call it, leaving me to fend off the other two. Jist of the story, don't just leave if it looks like things aren't gonna be going your way, ESPECIALLY if your opponents are saying GG prematurely, makes the victory even sweeter when you pull it out of your ass. I made a few key choices and became aggressive enough to grab the win :D

80 apm gold league noob, check it out if you feel like it zerg,terran v terran,protoss

http://bit.ly/bqhb8n

PS I love how versatile zerg is xD

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Looks like Blizzard sent me two keys. Since I got my key via GAF I'm returning the love, by sharing one of them.

First in, best dressed.

NWYMF2-W8KK-4RVGMB-B7PP-VDVX79

Screw the key begging thread. :D

PM me if you got in with this key. Curious to know who the lucky one is. :)

I present to you, "Super Blood Bath" (unless we can think of a better name lol):

k9t1ro.jpg

:lol Should I even bother with this? Basically the idea is making a 6 vs 6 map (or 12 player FFA) I could easily put players in the 4 middle areas making it an 8 vs 8 map, but I figured those middle areas would be way unbalanced as start locations.

I kind of did this as a joke just to see what it would look like, but I find myself strangely compelled to finish it like this. I'll do the standard Blood Bath first, but yeah. I'll keep this saved.

Jokey665

Ooooooookay here's my first two maps. Still works-in-progress. They are originally maps from an old RTS, Total Annihilation.

Desert Joust (4)

Original:
DesertJoust0.jpg

SC2:
DesertJoust1.jpg

SC2, different angle:
DesertJoust2.jpg

The pictures are slightly outdated, the ramps facing left/right have rocks on them.

Your main includes a Xel'Naga watchtower right behind your mineral line, and your 'natural' has 1 rich vespene geyser instead of two normal geysers. Your main has 8 mineral patches, while every expo has 6. You have two ramps into your main/natural area, the ones pointing up and down should be blockable with Barracks/Add-on/Depot or Barracks/Depot/Depot or Gateway/Pylon/Pylon or Forge/Pylon/Cannon. The ones pointing left and right should be blockable with Depot/Depot or Pylon/Pylon.[/spoiler]

Lava Highground (4)
Original:
LavaHighground0.jpg

SC2:
LavaHighground1.jpg

SC2, different angle:
LavaHighground2.jpg

Pics are messed up slightly because my PC blows. There is bright red lava where it should be, haha. Also I've changed the textures slightly since the pics were taken.

Your main has two easy expansions; a mineral-only with 2 high yield patches slightly further away than the normal patches, and a gas-only with 4 geysers. Choose wisely. Each of these expansions has more resources than normal (mineral patches have 2500 and geysers have 3500, normal values 1500 and 2500). I wanted to try something different.

Easy choke, blockable with barracks/depot/depot. Backdoor ramp with rocks on it. 4 watchtowers directly across from the ramps in the middle of the map, with an additional 4 inside the high yield expansion (theoretically giving you vision full-time while you're mining it).

Go easy on me, first time making "competitive" starcraft maps, lol.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
MisterAnderson said:
I present to you, "Super Blood Bath" (unless we can think of a better name lol):

http://i41.tinypic.com/k9t1ro.jpg[IMG]

:lol Should I even bother with this? Basically the idea is making a 6 vs 6 map (or 12 player FFA) I could easily put players in the 4 middle areas making it an 8 vs 8 map, but I figured those middle areas would be way unbalanced as start locations.[/QUOTE]
8v8? you can have that many players? what's the maximum?

Scrow said:
8v8? you can have that many players? what's the maximum?

I think 14 is the maximum amount of players. But yeah, I'm thinking if I do make that map I'd make it 6v6 anyway, as I can't see how I'd be able to make those middle area's balanced as start locations, and I don't think you can have 16 players anyway.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
looking forward to finally joining in and moving up from beginner-ish (I know the fundamental skills, but I'm just not all that good at it) to average.

Wish I was in the beta. Oh well, only a few months to go.

Rez said:
looking forward to finally joining in and moving up from beginner-ish (I know the fundamental skills, but I'm just not all that good at it) to average.

Why don't you go preorder and get a beta code?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
MisterAnderson said:
Why don't you go preorder and get a beta code?
I'm hesitant to buy the physical version from EB Games Australia when I know I'll be able to get it much cheaper a week or two after launch, or through digital download.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Rez said:

Look for the beg for code thread. Alot of friend codes went out and people handing them out here and there.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Rez said:
I'm hesitant to buy the physical version from EB Games Australia when I know I'll be able to get it much cheaper a week or two after launch, or through digital download.

Do Blizzard games traditionally drop in price in Australia? I don't think I've ever seen a Blizzard game be sold at less than the MSRP here in the U.S.

Also, good luck with that digital download option. Blizzard may allow you to download the game from them after you register your retail copy on your Battle.net account, but I wouldn't expect to find the game available for purchase as a downloadable title anytime soon.

Akia

Rez said:

You won't see SCII on Steam and Blizzard sells their games digitally through their own online store. They rarely put anything on sale.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Zefah said:
Do Blizzard games traditionally drop in price in Australia? I don't think I've ever seen a Blizzard game be sold at less than the MSRP here in the U.S.

Also, good luck with that digital download option. Blizzard may allow you to download the game from them after you register your retail copy on your Battle.net account, but I wouldn't expect to find the game available for purchase as a downloadable title anytime soon.
I just assumed Battle Net will eventually offer digital purchases at or around the launch of SCII, but I might be totally pulling that out of my ass.

The RRP doesn't drop, but big chains here usually cut a nice ten or so off the price around a week or two after launch to become competitive. Of course, like you said, it's Blizzard. The Diablo II battle chest is still stupid expensive given how old it is.

IceMarker

@Anderson
The max player count actually is in fact 8v8 or 16 players. All you have to do is set player 0 and 15 to either human or computer along with the other 14 player slots, and like magic you have 16 max players in Starcraft II... talk about insane 16 player FFA matches. :lol

Anyways I present to you a new simple 1v1 map.

"Moonshine Island"
212dbba.jpg

The air rush distance on this map is short, but with two Xel'naga towers in the middle, you have the ability to see your opponents every move. Destroy some rocks though, and the ground rush distance becomes very short. I might move the towers in towards the center just a bit though.

Up next... the Redstone tileset. This will be fun. :D

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
what's the point of having the rocks if you can just run to the opposite side to an open ramp?

also pretty much the whole map is choke width. not sure if that's gonna be too much fun, definitely would like to playtest it though!

Chris R

Kodiak said:
what's the point of having the rocks if you can just run to the opposite side to an open ramp?

also pretty much the whole map is choke width. not sure if that's gonna be too much fun, definitely would like to playtest it though!
Rush distance for ground units.

IceMarker

Kodiak said:
Your army basically has to go in a Z shape if it wants to reach the enemy base without destroying rocks. Like I said, long rush distance unless you destroy some rocks. Plus that give you the ability to control where your opponent will be forced to move his defenses.

leehom

How long does it take to download the updates? Took me 3 hours to download the game...and I've been downloading patches the last hour. Four hours and no sc2 so far :(

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
leehom said:
How long does it take to download the updates? Took me 3 hours to download the game...and I've been downloading patches the last hour. Four hours and no sc2 so far :(
Last patch was a doozy but usually not long to DL each patch

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
MrMister said:
Your army basically has to go in a Z shape if it wants to reach the enemy base without destroying rocks. Like I said, long rush distance unless you destroy some rocks. Plus that give you the ability to control where your opponent will be forced to move his defenses.

no i get the concept but it doesn't seem to make too much of a difference, like I said I'd like to play test it.

Note: Wedge and I weren't entirely sure if it was a Bo3 or Bo5, so we just did a Bo5.

Alright, so here are the results to Round 8's

Wedge (T) vs. Alumnus (P)

Winner:
Alumnus

Score:
Wedge - 1 : 3 - Alumnus
Replay Folder: Wedge v Alumnus

Game 1
Map: Steppes of War
Winner:
..... Alumnus .....

Game 2
Map: Lost Temple
Winner:
..... Alumnus .....

Game 3
Map: Blistering Sands
Winner:
...... Wedge ......

Game 4
Map: Metalopolis
Winner:
..... Alumnus .....

Game 5
Map: Scrap Station
Winner:
... Anti Spoiler ...

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Scrow said:
Looks like Blizzard sent me two keys. Since I got my key via GAF I'm returning the love, by sharing one of them.

First in, best dressed.

NWYMF2-W8KK-4RVGMB-B7PP-VDVX79

Screw the key begging thread. :D

PM me if you got in with this key. Curious to know who the lucky one is. :)
has anyone used this key yet? i don't know how i can check to see if it has been taken.

Ashhong

so since people still seem to need keys, i went to gamestop again today and got a few more keys since i ran out of my last batch. if anybody wants one all i ask is a few bucks to pay it off. PM me if you want one

Here's "Super Blood Bath" (12)

http://i42.tinypic.com/33jtoqg.jpg

I'm sure you're sick of seeing map pics of my many Blood Bath iterations so click there if you are interested. Does this look reasonably balanced? Too many towers? Should I add smoke around the towers or leave them open as is?

Currently it's very plain structurally (just 1 level, no cliffs or ramps, etc.) which is kind of the point of Blood Bath, but if you have any ideas to spice it up I'm all ears.

IceMarker

Looks just fine Anderson!

I can't wait for someone to make a perfectly balanced 16 player FFA map. I mean Jesus Christ imagine every player with 200 supply and nothing but marines/zealots/zerglings. Can the engine even handle that many units at once? o_O

way more

watervengeance said:
The Mac client looks awful.

Some gross cosmic irony has put me in a situation where the more powerful computer at my house is the Mac. So in order to play the beta with any decent resolution and in wide screen I have to rely on this piece of shit and it's fucked up mouse.

I've never gotten motion sickness from watching a movie but I become nauseous trying to close a window with the mac mouse. Why do they make their own bizarre acceleration curve and then force you to find drivers to correct it and buy a new mouse? This from the people that invented the iPod but they can't make a decent mouse.

Chris R

Buy a real mouse then :p

Logitech G11 KB and MX518 Mouse hooked up to a KVM so I can use them on my PC and Mini with no issue what so ever :D

jsrv

Finally had some free time today, and had my first few matches: some with ai and one with player match, as expected I only really like Zerg so I'll probably only play as them. (which is unfortunate because I'm looking forward to single player the most and they'll only let you play as terran...)

Wish they added more than just Very Easy for computer ai.
The player match was heart pounding, lol. 2v2 and barely won.

Top Bottom