• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Is there any word as to when custom maps are going to be publishable? Also does anyone know if the maps we create with the beta will also work at retail? I don't want to keep working on stuff if it's all gonna go to waste.

Chris R

mcrae said:
do i win?
Yes, yes you do. I have one more key to give out. Next person to PM me gets that one.

Both keys gone. ENJOY (just don't kick my ass please :) Having a hard enough time in Silver as it is :lol )

mcrae

rhfb said:
Yes, yes you do. I have one more key to give out. Next person to PM me gets that one.

Both keys gone. ENJOY (just don't kick my ass please :) Having a hard enough time in Silver as it is :lol )

thanks man!
edit: to those of you who obviously know i already have a key, i stated in the pm its for my buddy, and rhfb is cool with that. so.. ya. thx again.

Shambles

Here's a question for you WoW types. I know that Blizzard region locks their games but how do they do it? Can you choose what region you're in, does it detect what country you're connecting from or is it linked to your original files? Sure would be a lot of bullshit if not only would I not be able to play with my family in Europe but not even be able to play with them when I visit bringing my own laptop along.

LaneDS

I've seen a few players drop sunkens right between their hatchery and the mineral line, where the drones have to walk around them to get to the minerals. Any feedback on how good placement like that is? Seemed pretty good at shutting down my attempts on their economy and am debating if I want to drop a cannon or two between my nexus and the minerals (currently I usually put one behind the minerals and one next to my nexus to prevent air harass later on).

Any advice on that one?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Shambles said:
Here's a question for you WoW types. I know that Blizzard region locks their games but how do they do it? Can you choose what region you're in, does it detect what country you're connecting from or is it linked to your original files? Sure would be a lot of bullshit if not only would I not be able to play with my family in Europe but not even be able to play with them when I visit bringing my own laptop along.
Your account is tied to a specific region through sign up. There is no actual check in place.

mcrae

LaneDS said:
I've seen a few players drop sunkens right between their hatchery and the mineral line, where the drones have to walk around them to get to the minerals. Any feedback on how good placement like that is? Seemed pretty good at shutting down my attempts on their economy and am debating if I want to drop a cannon or two between my nexus and the minerals (currently I usually put one behind the minerals and one next to my nexus to prevent air harass later on).

Any advice on that one?

its a pretty good idea imo.

i usually place them 1 space from the minerals, overlappting two of them.

it doesnt seem to inhibit movement very much at all... though i havent tested or looked at it at length. the reason is that if you put them behind your mineral line, they wont protect from units coming at you from the direction of your nexus. if you put 1 behind minerals and 1 by nexus, its easy just to destroy the one behind mineral line.

Metiphis

Just got into the beta, watching a lot of videos to get better because I am a beginner to multiplayer. If anyone wants to teach me any neat tricks add me up!

Metiphis.dana

Man the Mac client is awful. No wonder it took so long for it to come out, it's clearly unfinished compared to the Window's version. Blizzard has their work cut out for them.

Sumidor

Oh god, i'm so bad.. I haven't played an RTS since.. Warcraft 3 first came out? Would love to play someone equally as bad... I'll be up all night if you wanna play.

tango.tango

Gelry

aka Bastiaan
I hope they don't wait too long until they release that mac client here in Europe. I have a key, now I still can't play. I must resist the temptation to use bootcamp.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
man i was having a fucking awful night. Won 2 games out of like 9, and I was playing with my friend who is still pretty new to the game and he was destroying me in the stats. I don't know what's wrong, but I was playing horribly.

Maybe I need a break from this damn game.

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
Some people are down ranking themselves I think because they quit as soon the match starts. Then there are people who quit to easily. Just a minute ago I took out my opponents first push and he gg'd. lol I hadn't even started my second expansion and wasn't planning on attacking his base till I had enough Mutalisks. Maybe I should be more aggressive.

Adent said:
Some people are down ranking themselves I think because they quit as soon the match starts. Then there are people who quit to easily. Just a minute ago I took out my opponents first push and he gg'd. lol I hadn't even started my second expansion and wasn't planning on attacking his base till I had enough Mutalisks. Maybe I should be more aggressive.

TBH badly losing a first encounter in SC is usually fatal.

raphier

Banned
Adent said:

Starcraft 2 is quite tender in that area. If you lose anything to a push, your chances lower a bit behind in that situation. So I understand why people GG so easily. It's especially apparent with Protoss. Units take a long time to build and they cost a ton.

It's sensitive in that area, yeah.

I've played three placement matches so far, and crushed my opponents in each. Not going to get cocky or anything because I know I suck compared to the HDStarcraft vids I have watched, but I'm going to say I probably shouldn't have chosen novice as a starting point.

My game ID is: barnabus.chai if you guys want to play with me.

Minsc

Gold Member
Adent said:

They should implement stats for:

games played under 5 minutes
games played under 10 minutes
games played under 20 minutes
games played over 20 minutes
and
games quit under 5 minutes

Quitting in the first 5 minutes should count against your score by double or triple (to offset people doing what I describe below).

I think there's probably a bunch of people that just plow through cheap rush strategies hoping to win, and if their cheap tactic doesn't work, they immediately quit because their cheap tactic is only good for one shot, and rinse and repeat ad infinitum, just hoping to plow through more wins than loses.

Then if you see you're playing against someone with 95% of their games ranked as "under 5 minutes" you'll know they only play to rush.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Rushing might get you a win, and you might get good at rushing but in general it's not going to make you a better player.

Blizz will tweak gameplay enough so rushes can be held off with skill and scouting.

Kade

Can't post on the Battle.net forums since I haven't made a character yet and I haven't found a fix there so I'll ask here.

I just updated to the new ATI 10.4 Driver and when I start the client, it shows the SCII Splash logo, goes to a black screen for a second or two and then crashes back to the desktop. I've reverted the driver back but that didn't seem to do anything. Anyone know a fix for this?

delirium

dygiT said:
Can't post on the Battle.net forums since I haven't made a character yet and I haven't found a fix there so I'll ask here.

I just updated to the new ATI 10.4 Driver and when I start the client, it shows the SCII Splash logo, goes to a black screen for a second or two and then crashes back to the desktop. I've reverted the driver back but that didn't seem to do anything. Anyone know a fix for this?
I had this problem when I first tried. I did this http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=21052 and found out what program was crashing it.

Aesthet1c

Anybody have any advice for a Zerg noob? I'm failing pretty badly...

My current strat is 13 pool, 15 hatch, gas, roach, lair. From there I'll work on massing hydra's and muta's. I'm doing pretty decent at scouting their expansions and knocking them out.. but it seems like any time our forces meet, no matter how many hydra's or muta's I have, I get demolished. I must be doing something wrong...

fanboi

Banned
Aesthet1c said:
Anybody have any advice for a Zerg noob? I'm failing pretty badly...

My current strat is 13 pool, 15 hatch, gas, roach, lair. From there I'll work on massing hydra's and muta's. I'm doing pretty decent at scouting their expansions and knocking them out.. but it seems like any time our forces meet, no matter how many hydra's or muta's I have, I get demolished. I must be doing something wrong...

It depends on what you get demolished by... T or P? Z? end, mid game?

Aesthet1c

fanboi said:
It depends on what you get demolished by... T or P? Z? end, mid game?

It's mostly by protoss, and usually mid-end game. Their stalker/void ray combo usually beats whatever I have. I've tried going corrupters to counter the void rays (not sure if that's what I should be doing btw) and they don't seem to do much.

fanboi

Banned
Aesthet1c said:
It's mostly by protoss, and usually mid-end game. Their stalker/void ray combo usually beats whatever I have. I've tried going corrupters to counter the void rays (not sure if that's what I should be doing btw) and they don't seem to do much.

Dont use corruptors, only good against... well they aren't soo good (only when they turn brood).

Hydra + Lings since speedlings are great against stalkers while hydra is great against void.
Or Mutta + lings.

Do you upgrade your armour weapons?

I'm having a pretty bizarre technical problem. I just installed the game last night only to realize that my keyboard doesn't work when I'm playing the game, though it works in the escape menu. I'm running the game on an older Macbook Pro.

Effect

How do you guys feel about there being an npc faction in multiplayer? Sort of how WC3 had the npcs scattered across the map you could kill to get items. Perhaps a faction roams in and out of the map at certain points at random to shake things up. This would work best in 1v1 I think as there is enough going on in 2v2 and above.

fanboi

Banned
Effect said:
How do you guys feel about there being an npc faction in multiplayer? Sort of how WC3 had the npcs scattered across the map you could kill to get items. Perhaps a faction roams in and out of the map at certain points at random to shake things up. This would work best in 1v1 I think as there is enough going on in 2v2 and above.

No, waaaaaay to random.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Aesthet1c said:

I’ve been playing zerg exclusively for a few days now, and I’m having similar problems. When it comes to the mid game I almost always get overpowered, especially by protoss and void rays. The biggest counter I’ve found to void rays are hydras, but you need a shit ton of em to compete with them. If you don’t have enough, you are toast. Which, is how I’ve lost more than a few games.

One thing I’ve come to realize about the zerg: you need to expand like a mofo. You almost need to have at least two more hives above whatever your opponent has to keep up. Having all of your units come from larvae is a double edged sword, especially when you are trying to get drones and overlords out as well. I may actually start putting two hives in my main just to get more larvae in play.

webrunner

raphier said:
Starcraft 2 is quite tender in that area. If you lose anything to a push, your chances lower a bit behind in that situation. So I understand why people GG so easily. It's especially apparent with Protoss. Units take a long time to build and they cost a ton.

It's sensitive in that area, yeah.

EDIT: If you want a key check beta key begging thread.
NemesisPrime said:
TBH badly losing a first encounter in SC is usually fatal.

You know, I never understood this. It's quite possible to overcome such things unless you're playing at max-superpro level.

There's a difference between giving up when you've lost and giving up because you haven't won yet.

Aesthet1c

fanboi said:
Dont use corruptors, only good against... well they aren't soo good (only when they turn brood).

Hydra + Lings since speedlings are great against stalkers while hydra is great against void.
Or Mutta + lings.

Do you upgrade your armour weapons?

Thanks for the tip, I had no idea zerglings were good for anything past the 2 minute mark lol.

And yeah, usually by that time in the game I have something like +2 ranged weapon, +1 ground armor, and +1 or 2 air weapon.

Also.. once I get my hydra den, is there any reason to make roaches past that point?

fanboi

Banned
Mengy said:
I’ve been playing zerg exclusively for a few days now, and I’m having similar problems. When it comes to the mid game I almost always get overpowered, especially by protoss and void rays. The biggest counter I’ve found to void rays are hydras, but you need a shit ton of em to compete with them. If you don’t have enough, you are toast. Which, is how I’ve lost more than a few games.

One thing I’ve come to realize about the zerg: you need to expand like a mofo. You almost need to have at least two more hives above whatever your opponent has to keep up. Having all of your units come from larvae is a double edged sword, especially when you are trying to get drones and overlords out as well. I may actually start putting two hives in my main just to get more larvae in play.

1 more is the standard rule, but the more the merrier...
Also, queens at every hatch is a must + spawn larva.

Then you need to set your rally point to reinforce your forces when you build.

Aesthet1c said:
Thanks for the tip, I had no idea zerglings were good for anything past the 2 minute mark lol.

And yeah, usually by that time in the game I have something like +2 ranged weapon, +1 ground armor, and +1 or 2 air weapon.

Also.. once I get my hydra den, is there any reason to make roaches past that point?

Yes! Very important acutally, since they are considered tanks and soak up dmg, while your hydras is in the background dropping dmg at em.

When it is late/mid game, I usually use all types of forces (most of hydras).

Also, it is always good to have a bunch of banelings, always.

raphier

Banned
fanboi said:
1 more is the standard rule, but the more the merrier...
Also, queens at every hatch is a must + spawn larva.

Then you need to set your rally point to reinforce your forces when you build.

Yes! Very important acutally, since they are considered tanks and soak up dmg, while your hydras is in the background dropping dmg at em.

When it is late/mid game, I usually use all types of forces (most of hydras).

banelings are quite mass killers. They can change the fate of rest of the game drastically.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
fanboi said:

You know, until last night I hadn’t even built a single baneling. Heck I hadn’t even built a baneling nest until then. I used them last night against a terran marauder ball to excellent effect. They were destroying my roaches until that point. I’m still getting familiar with the zerg tech tree and knowing what buildings I need to get each unit out.

fanboi

Banned
Mengy said:
You know, until last night I hadn’t even built a single baneling. Heck I hadn’t even built a baneling nest until then. I used them last night against a terran marauder ball to excellent effect. They were destroying my roaches until that point. I’m still getting familiar with the zerg tech tree and knowing what buildings I need to get each unit out.

Against mmm balls it isnt good, its a necessity

webrunner said:
You know, I never understood this. It's quite possible to overcome such things unless you're playing at max-superpro level.

There's a difference between giving up when you've lost and giving up because you haven't won yet.

Because mostly, at higher levels, it is a resource race. When you get behind the curve you are f*cked.

Yeah at casual levels, you can make a comeback and in teamplay your team members might be doing better and balancing out things. But usually, in 1v1, that first encounter is important. Try to win it or at least not get slaughtered, fighting defensively if you get intro trouble.

Aesthet1c

Mengy said:

I also have never built any banelings. I will have to try them out tonight. Thanks for the advice guys.

webrunner

NemesisPrime said:
Because mostly, at higher levels, it is a resource race. When you get behind the curve you are f*cked.

Yeah at casual levels, you can make a comeback and in teamplay your team members might be doing better and balancing out things. But usually, in 1v1, that first encounter is important. Try to win it or at least not get slaughtered, fighting defensively if you get intro trouble.

The point I'm making is that what you call 'f*cked' isn't necessarily actually 'f*cked'. The right hard counter and the right micro and the right decisions can put you ahead even if you're behind in the resource race.

A major disadvantage is not necessarily a loss, it's just usually a loss. But if you can turn 20% of possible GGs into a real game, that's still good.

webrunner said:
The point I'm making is that what you call 'f*cked' isn't necessarily actually 'f*cked'. The right hard counter and the right micro and the right decisions can put you ahead even if you're behind in the resource race.

A major disadvantage is not necessarily a loss, it's just usually a loss. But if you can turn 20% of possible GGs into a real game, that's still good.

Ok true...

But a lot of people (sadly) seem to think that quitting and restarting is a better value for ranking investement.

The problem also with RTS games is, that you tend to lose VERY hard when you are behind. The game usually ends with your opponent slaughtering everything you have and raping your base(s). A lot of people hate that kind of punishment. Other online games seem to be less brutal when losing.

Top Bottom