• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Sloegr

Zaptruder said:
What are the chat commands during play?

I don't actually rage quit from 2v2, so much I don't know how to communicate with /all ... because it's not surprisingly enough /all text

Also, how do you respond to whispers and friend/party chat in game?

In 2v2, hitting enter alone should allow you to type to your ally. Hitting shift + enter should allow you to type to all the players in the match.

Kagami

Lathentar said:
Its just SC2. Display drivers won't crash the whole computer in Vista. Basically the screen goes black for a bit, then the drivers reboot and the screen comes back until it crashes again. If it does that enough, SC2 will just crash.
Up till now it was just driver resets but I just had my first hard crash; had to reboot the machine.
Actually it looked the same as when SC1 locks Win 7: HDD activity looks normal and some sounds are still playing normally (not fast looped).

I've been playing on full-screen windowed; gonna try full-screen (non-windowed) for a while.

bluemax

Banned
Should I be alarmed that my computer shut down after about 10 minutes of playing this? My hardware is only about a year old...

Xyphie

bluemax said:
Should I be alarmed that my computer shut down after about 10 minutes of playing this? My hardware is only about a year old...

Could be a temperature issue. Try downloading CPU/GPU stress tests like FurMark and OCCT and run them for a while and see if they give you any warnings/crashes.

Ashhong

bluemax said:

if you look back a page, a few of us have been experiencing crashes. i know for a fact my temperatures were not abnormal and i have been experiencing crashes both while playing SC2, and even when its not even loaded.

Ashhong

valenti said:
Yea sure sounds good Imma try to stay on as long as I can so I can be #1 plat in my division

well arent you special...

i was watching HD ustream some 2v2 ladder games tonight, hes only in silver for random. i kept pressing "find game" just as he did in hopes that i would be matched against him, and use his live stream to my advantage :lol

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'm not sure but I think I'm having an erro with my 1vs1 league. If I go to my ladder page it seems like I am only in the 2vs2 copper now, but if I go to my profile page it clearly says I am rank 22 in my 1vs1 copper league. For some reason the ladder page just won't display it. Has anyone else seen oir heard of this, and is there a way to fix it?

Cru Jones

Mengy said:
I'm not sure but I think I'm having an erro with my 1vs1 league. If I go to my ladder page it seems like I am only in the 2vs2 copper now, but if I go to my profile page it clearly says I am rank 22 in my 1vs1 copper league. For some reason the ladder page just won't display it. Has anyone else seen oir heard of this, and is there a way to fix it?

You can hit the arrow key to switch what ranking it shows (1v1 or 2v2)

msv

NIN90 said:
Sucks that it's not possible to rebind all hotkeys (like building units).
You can do different hotkey layouts. There's a grid layout that corresponds to the (unit) building/commands grid.

Zotac cup streams: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/leball/v3 (english shitty commentary tho:/)
http://www.sc2tv.ru/starcraft-2/sc2-live/2125-zotac-stream.html (russian, but awesome quality)
http://broadcasting.gamesports.net/de/content/1184/ (german)

Man, there aren't any normal zotac streams, arr anyone know any?

msv

fanboi said:
So ehem.. where the fuck have you been the last couple of nights?
I've been there BOI. Apparently I just missed you yesterday, we played a 2v2 and knives and I tested banelings vs mules :p

NIN90 said:
Let me kick your butt in 1v1 right about now.
I'd love to, but my dinner is ready. And zotac cup is on bb. Gretorp has a cool strat vs protoss, I def want to see that.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Cru Jones said:
You can hit the arrow key to switch what ranking it shows (1v1 or 2v2)

Yeah, I know thats how its supposed to work, but it's not working anymore. It used to, but now it doesn't. Seems like it started (or stopped) right after I finished my 2vs2 placement matches and got into 2vs2 copper league. As soon as that happened I lost the ability to view my ladder rank in 1vs1 for some reason, other than from the profile page summary.

Weird...

Yaweee

ahoyhoy said:
Why is it that I'm ending up with Terran players in like 80% of my Silver league matches?

What maps are you selecting? (via the Map Preferences button). I suspect many Terrans are only keeping the maps where Reaper rushes are good, so if you don't have them thumbed down you'll end up playing Terran on them.

I suspect that the map system in place is currently a placeholder to determine what maps are popular and which ones aren't. In WC3, you could only thumbs down N/2-1 maps, where N was the total number of options. Because of that, it would match you against a player then randomly pick whatever maps neither of you thumbed down, which would be at least one. In SC2, you can reject too many maps, so I think you outright won't even get matched against players that you can't agree on.

Yaweee

watervengeance said:
I need to get out of the habit of fast expanding. That seems to be the root of all my problems right now. :(

What race are you?

Only Zerg can reasonably do it, but the metagame is slowly turning away from that strat as Zealot and fast Tier 1 masses become more popular. Players are becoming more familiar with what maps have short rush distances, and do BOs accordingly.

IceMarker

ahoyhoy said:
Why is it that I'm ending up with Terran players in like 80% of my Silver league matches?
Probably because A) They are the first class you end up playing as in StarCraft campaigns and B) They are the most relatable as they're Human.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
MrMister said:
Probably because A) They are the first class you end up playing as in StarCraft campaigns and B) They are the most relatable as they're Human.

It's not because they're overpowered though? Or have the most options for offense?

mcrae

Corran Horn said:
1. AI is very easy only. I dont recall hearing anything about increasing that during the beta. Its basically there just to learn the game for beginners in the beta. I know the people who hacked (or whatever is the correct term) SC2 were making progress on a good AI, but I have no idea how far they have gotten in the last few months

2. Recent Q&A said mid May we will see those maps/games.

theres a range, from cheating with extra minerals, cheating with full map vision, to regular ai. there are some very advanced ones out there now, with multiple build orders, counters, and openers. its a good alternative if you dont have a key... or if you want practice. but its no cakewalk, depending on the ai you play

Yaweee

ahoyhoy said:
It's not because they're overpowered though? Or have the most options for offense?

Wall-off into MMM is one of the easiest and most effective beginner strategies, but I still think playing on Terran maps is the leading cause. Reject Steppes of War, Incineration Zone, Desert Oasis, and that other 2-player map and see what sort of races you play against.

Zzoram

Starcraft 2 beta works on my Pentium M 1.86GHz, 2GB DDR2 RAM, GeForce Go6800 256MB Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop. I need to run it at 1280x800 with everything on the lowest possible settings though. Also, the game crashed 3 times in 4 hours, possibly due to heat, but no other game has ever done that to my laptop. This thing ran Counterstrike Source maxed with HDR and 2xAA fine, and TF2 on Medium.

Shambles

Yaweee said:
Wall-off into MMM is one of the easiest and most effective beginner strategies, but I still think playing on Terran maps is the leading cause. Reject Steppes of War, Incineration Zone, Desert Oasis, and that other 2-player map and see what sort of races you play against.

it's true i've gone 7-0 with MMM between FFA, 1v1 and 2v2. I'm scared to see what the fallout will be when I play someone who actually knows how to counter it. Although in one of my FFA matches some newbie 4 pooled, took out the other 2 players and then quit after my wall off defeated his zerglings. Probably the first time i've ever seen someone try to pull off a 4pool on a 4 player FFA.

Yaweee

Shambles said:
it's true i've gone 7-0 with MMM between FFA, 1v1 and 2v2. I'm scared to see what the fallout will be when I play someone who actually knows how to counter it. Although in one of my FFA matches some newbie 4 pooled, took out the other 2 players and then quit after my wall off defeated his zerglings. Probably the first time i've ever seen someone try to pull off a 4pool on a 4 player FFA.

One of the biggest balance problems in the game is how powerful MMM are even if your opponent does something to "counter" the strategy. Essentially, Terrans end up countering the opponent's counter, while still sticking to MMM ball as the base of their strategy against Zerg and Protoss. Ghosts against shields and High Templar, some Vikings against Collosi, a heavier marine mix against mutalisks, Ravens against DTs, Vikings or extra marines against Void Rays, etc.

Likewise, Protoss warpgates essentially assure that T1/1.5 units will be the vast basis of any P army.

The only race that consistently gets T2 units en masse are Zerg, due to Hydras and Mutalisks being generally awesome and post-buff Infestors are likely the best caster units in the game. I'd like to see things changed for T and P so they get more types of units (basically, give MM and ZSS some slight nerfs while making their T2 units better or buildings slightly cheaper.

Between races, the game is pretty much balanced (with the slight issues of superfast Reaper rushes against Protoss), but too few units get used in every single match.

bluemax

Banned
Ashhong said:
if you look back a page, a few of us have been experiencing crashes. i know for a fact my temperatures were not abnormal and i have been experiencing crashes both while playing SC2, and even when its not even loaded.

Well that's annoying. Is Blizzard doing anything about this?

Yaweee

bluemax said:
Well that's annoying. Is Blizzard doing anything about this?

It's a Beta. File a bug report, and Blizzard will try to improve compatibility, performance, and stability by the time the game is released.

Yaweee said:
What race are you?

Only Zerg can reasonably do it, but the metagame is slowly turning away from that strat as Zealot and fast Tier 1 masses become more popular. Players are becoming more familiar with what maps have short rush distances, and do BOs accordingly.

I play Protoss and am current in the Bronze league. Fast expanding worked really well for me when I started playing, because a lot of players just teched on one base, which is easily countered with a large enough army produced from two bases.

As a result, I climbed up the ladder and now these players are much smarter as they push out extremely early. I like skipping the first zealot and going for the stalker behind a wall, but that doesn't seem to be very effective against mass zealots or something. It's not good to develop these habits early on. :lol

I need to work on apply early pressure and knowing when to stop producing units to tech up or expand.

zoukka

I kinda regret going zerg because I'm more of a micro guy really. After a short break my macroing skills really deteriorate and I need several matches to actually remember when to do what.

Doesn't help that I'm in gold and platinum ladders. The competition is unforgiving.

joelseph

Loving the beta but I am a complete noob! Are there any good vids, tips, resources on how I can improve overall? Like hotkeys, bindings, etc. from a very general perspective.

Yaweee

watervengeance said:
I play Protoss and am current in the Bronze league. Fast expanding worked really well for me when I started playing, because a lot of players just teched on one base, which is easily countered with a large enough army produced from two bases.

As a result, I climbed up the ladder and now these players are much smarter as they push out extremely early. I like skipping the first zealot and going for the stalker behind a wall, but that doesn't seem to be very effective against mass zealots or something. It's not good to develop these habits early on. :lol

I need to work on apply early pressure and knowing when to stop producing units to tech up or expand.

Fast Expand as Protoss is almost never a good idea, but you can build your choke point or perhaps a complete wall-off at your natural in Lost Temple and a few other maps to get a reasonably early and secure expansion.

Downloaded the Mac beta the other day, got it running just fine with all the gfx settings on low/off (my two year old MacBook just makes the cut for specs). Played a game on the novice setting, had a decent base going, had a few skirmishes (planetary fortress cannon saved my ass) and the dude quit. Out of nowhere too, the post game stats showed us as pretty evenly matched in resources and unit and stuff, he just quit in the middle of nothing. I had stopped an attack on my base but it was like five minutes prior. Just poof, gone.

So yeah, it feels exactly like StarCraft.

They oughta do like Halo Reach and give you something for sticking it out and losing gracefully. I've noticed a lot fewer drops compared to Halo 3 because in Reach if you quit you don't get the credits.

Yaweee

StrikerObi said:
Downloaded the Mac beta the other day, got it running just fine with all the gfx settings on low/off (my two year old MacBook just makes the cut for specs). Played a game on the novice setting, had a decent base going, had a few skirmishes (planetary fortress cannon saved my ass) and the dude quit. Out of nowhere too, the post game stats showed us as retry evenly matched in resources and unit and stuff, he just quit in the middle of nothing. I had stopped an attack on my base but it was like five minutes prior. Just poof, gone.

They oughta do like Halo Reach and give you something for sticking it out and losing gracefully. I've noticed a lot fewer drops compared to Halo 3 because in Reach if you quit you don't get the credits.

What does it mean to "lose gracefully"? Strategy games aren't first-person shooters, and there's no meaningful stat other than winning or losing. If a player genuinely thinks he's boned (or has to go), then quitting saves both him and his opponent time. The genre has enough problems with people hiding shit to draw out the game for 15+ more minutes.

mcrae

StrikerObi said:
Downloaded the Mac beta the other day, got it running just fine with all the gfx settings on low/off (my two year old MacBook just makes the cut for specs). Played a game on the novice setting, had a decent base going, had a few skirmishes (planetary fortress cannon saved my ass) and the dude quit. Out of nowhere too, the post game stats showed us as pretty evenly matched in resources and unit and stuff, he just quit in the middle of nothing. I had stopped an attack on my base but it was like five minutes prior. Just poof, gone.

lol, this just sounds like a kid being called for supper or a guy who just had friends come over unexpectedly or something. people do have lives you know

Aesthet1c

So what are the options for zerg scouting after terran have walled in? I just played a match where a guy hit me with 3 cloaked banshees like 6 minutes into the match. I had nothing for anti air, I was still going roaches and lings, my hydra den was on it's way up, but it wasn't in time to defense against this. Had I have known he had 2 starports, I would rushed anti air, but that's the dilemma, how can I find that out?

I typically scout with a drone in the beginning or i'll send an overlord over to his base to hang out. However, once he has a marine or two, my overlord or drone won't be able to stick around and by that time, he's usually walled in, so I have no way of knowing what he's doing.

Maybe this is my fault, and I should have some anti air solution by 6 minutes. I could make some spore AA towers (sorry I forgot their name) but if the opponent isn't going air early then I just wasted a decent amount of resources that are probably needed to hold off his ground army.

Yaweee

Aesthet1c said:
So what are the options for zerg scouting after terran have walled in? I just played a match where a guy hit me with 3 cloaked banshees like 6 minutes into the match. I had nothing for anti air, I was still going roaches and lings, my hydra den was on it's way up, but it wasn't in time to defense against this. Had I have known he had 2 starports, I would rushed anti air, but that's the dilemma, how can I find that out?

I typically scout with a drone in the beginning or i'll send an overlord over to his base to hang out. However, once he has a marine or two, my overlord or drone won't be able to stick around and by that time, he's usually walled in, so I have no way of knowing what he's doing.

Maybe this is my fault, and I should have some anti air solution by 6 minutes. I could make some spore AA towers (sorry I forgot their name) but if the opponent isn't going air early then I just wasted a decent amount of resources that are probably needed to hold off his ground army.

If takes sacrificing an overlord, it is the price you have to pay. Circle the perimeter of their base to see if they are hiding anything near the edges, then go in for the sacrifice scouting from the angle least-likely to be quickly killed by marines.

Also, don't just give up when they wall in. If it's only backed up by a few marines or marauders, Roaches or Banelings can tear that shit up and you flood in with zerglings. Don't just back down once it is sealed up.

Remember, you can get multiple Queens from a single Hatchery. A group of three or four and decent micro (to heal each other) can do a tremendous job against small Air harass.

Aesthet1c

Yaweee said:
If takes sacrificing an overlord, it is the price you have to pay. Circle the perimeter of their base to see if they are hiding anything near the edges, then go in for the sacrifice scouting from the angle least-likely to be quickly killed by marines.

Also, don't just give up when they wall in. If it's only backed up by a few marines or marauders, Roaches or Banelings can tear that shit up and you flood in with zerglings. Don't just back down once it is sealed up.

Remember, you can get multiple Queens from a single Hatchery. A group of three or four and decent micro (to heal each other) can do a tremendous job against small Air harass.

Thanks man... i'll give that a shot. I'm always afraid to attack their buildings early in the match when they are walled in. I don't want to lose all of my units to the marines behind the supply depots in the process.

Also the queen tip is cool, I actually didn't even know that they could attack air lol..

Yaweee

Aesthet1c said:
Thanks man... i'll give that a shot. I'm always afraid to attack their buildings early in the match when they are walled in. I don't want to lose all of my units to the marines behind the supply depots in the process.

Also the queen tip is cool, I actually didn't even know that they could attack air lol..

Their air attack is like 3x as strong as their ground attack.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Just want to say a bigass shoutout to msv, fanboi, rainy and knives for showing me the ropes

And telling me about...the rite :eek:

Awesome guys :D

Top Bottom