• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Cronox

Banned
Yeah it's actually a little ridiculous that you can't bind commands to custom keys. I still haven't figured out if there's a way to turn the camera.

Ashhong

Cronox said:
Yeah it's actually a little ridiculous that you can't bind commands to custom keys. I still haven't figured out if there's a way to turn the camera.

i dont know about in game but i see them turn the camera during replays on youtube. still cant figure out how theyre doing it...

Deadly said:
Any general tips for a Zerg player? I've had some successful matches but recently it's been going downhill..

im bronze, played as terran vs a platinum zerg player. Was teching up to siege tanks when a small swarm of mutas attacks my workers. I bring in marines from the front of my base but the mutas retreat. i then focus on going air, while the mutas come back here and there to harass luring my marines around. At the same time, I'm scrambling to get turrets up.

Within a few minutes, a mass of hydras basically crash through my wall and it's gg.

The zerg player baited and switched me with the mutas, he conveyed that he was going air, and harassing me with the mutas while building up a massive army of hydras and abandoning mutas altogether.

This is the first time I encountered a true bait and switch. The mutas tricked me enough to change up my whole focus, and i basically fell apart.

mcrae

MrCompletely said:
im bronze, played as terran vs a platinum zerg player. Was teching up to siege tanks when a small swarm of mutas attacks my workers. I bring in marines from the front of my base but the mutas retreat. i then focus on going air, while the mutas come back here and there to harass luring my marines around. At the same time, I'm scrambling to get turrets up.

Within a few minutes, a mass of hydras basically crash through my wall and it's gg.

The zerg player baited and switched me with the mutas, he conveyed that he was going air, and harassing me with the mutas while building up a massive army of hydras and abandoning mutas altogether.

This is the first time I encountered a true bait and switch. The mutas tricked me enough to change up my whole focus, and i basically fell apart.

i just palyed a 2v2 , us TZ v ZZ. i assumed they would both 6 pool cause thats what randoms do when both are zerg, so i 6pooled as well, and made 2 spine crawlers. my mate got the wall in in time and they backed off. then i figure they're going to go mutas so i get 3 spores up as well as a spire, and i fight off the first wave, though he gets a ton of my workers

from this point on its downhill, the terran tried to fight them but the other zerg went roaches and held him off.... it felt so shitty to completely call the other player on what they were going to do, but not be able to effectively counter it :(

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Ashhong said:
i dont know about in game but i see them turn the camera during replays on youtube. still cant figure out how theyre doing it...
Press the Insert and Delete keys. The Home-Pg Down keyset do stuff like zoom in/out or spin camera to different direction. I think 2 of them do nothing though

Ashhong

mcrae said:
i just palyed a 2v2 , us TZ v ZZ. i assumed they would both 6 pool cause thats what randoms do when both are zerg, so i 6pooled as well, and made 2 spine crawlers. my mate got the wall in in time and they backed off. then i figure they're going to go mutas so i get 3 spores up as well as a spire, and i fight off the first wave, though he gets a ton of my workers

from this point on its downhill, the terran tried to fight them but the other zerg went roaches and held him off.... it felt so shitty to completely call the other player on what they were going to do, but not be able to effectively counter it :(

well what did you build to counter? marines are awesome against mutas, and MMM ball in general is awesome against roaches. or maybe a cloaked banshee could have done some good

Corran Horn said:
Press the Insert and Delete keys. The Home-Pg Down keyset do stuff like zoom in/out or spin camera to different direction. I think 2 of them do nothing though

oh thanks, ill try it out

YourMaster

MrMister said:
Probably because A) They are the first class you end up playing as in StarCraft campaigns and B) They are the most relatable as they're Human.

Or C, their playstyle resembles other RTS games the most.

mcrae

Ashhong said:
well what did you build to counter? marines are awesome against mutas, and MMM ball in general is awesome against roaches. or maybe a cloaked banshee could have done some good

well i figured spine crawlers would give me an eco advantage, though i suppose they really didn't.

then i just tried to get mutas before they came for me, and my mutas popped the same time theirs came in... found off a bigger force cause i had spores, but lost a lot of workers

was downhill from there :/

Ashhong

mcrae said:
well i figured spine crawlers would give me an eco advantage, though i suppose they really didn't.

then i just tried to get mutas before they came for me, and my mutas popped the same time theirs came in... found off a bigger force cause i had spores, but lost a lot of workers

was downhill from there :/

should have moved onto hydras to counter his mutas (i think) or corruptors but i think corruptors are more expensive, while your terran teammate got MMM and maybe a few banshees.

this is probably terrible advice, but its what i would have done :lol

Hydras definitely are really good Muta counters. The biggest hurdle to overcome vs Mutas with Hydras is Mutas are still much faster and more mobile so they can still harass your expansions by flying back and forth. To counter this what I tend to do is Nydus Worm between my expansions so I can have my Hydra army wherever it needs to be the instant I scout their Mutas flying in to attack.

mcrae

Ashhong said:
should have moved onto hydras to counter his mutas (i think) or corruptors but i think corruptors are more expensive, while your terran teammate got MMM and maybe a few banshees.

this is probably terrible advice, but its what i would have done :lol

im always hesitant to go hydras when opponent goes air, especially mutas. leaves your base so completely undefended when you go to attack... i suppose i need to get more confident at trading bases

isny

napkin dispenser
Aesthet1c said:
Go to "c:\program files\starcraft II beta\support" and run "sc2switcher.exe". I'm not exactly sure what it does, but somebody posted that earlier in this thread and it worked for me.

So I actually tried this, it starts it up, but then closes and gives me an error. "starcraft II has stopped working"

Should I be installing, and not patching at all, and then using sc2switcher.exe? Or patching up to 10 where it loops, and then using sc2switcher.exe? (doing the latter now and getting the error)

mcrae said:
im always hesitant to go hydras when opponent goes air, especially mutas. leaves your base so completely undefended when you go to attack... i suppose i need to get more confident at trading bases

Read my post above yours.

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
does anyone here know what the deal is with beta keys and expirations? my friend received a key a while back and never used it. the mac beta was just released and he offered me the key so I created an account. but, when I went to verify the code it told me it was invalid. is this because the key was issued for a windows beta? or some other reason?

I know I've typed it in correctly..

Hey guys I'm trying to download Patch 10 after reformatting my hard disk and moving from Vista to Windows 7, and for some reason the patch is heading into another infinite loop. Any suggestions?

Yaweee

h0pper said:
does anyone here know what the deal is with beta keys and expirations? my friend received a key a while back and never used it. the mac beta was just released and he offered me the key so I created an account. but, when I went to verify the code it told me it was invalid. is this because the key was issued for a windows beta? or some other reason?

I know I've typed it in correctly..

Are you entering it in the "New Game" tab of battle.net, or the promotional code? It counts as a new game.

I've got another code. First active poster in this thread who PMs me gets it. I'm trying to ensure someone who will actually play gets it, not someone who just wants to sell it

edit: Just sent it to the winner. My inbox is full so no more PMs yo

dchavez

PhoenixDark said:
I've got another code. First active poster in this thread who PMs me gets it. I'm trying to ensure someone who will actually play gets it, not someone who just wants to sell it

pm sent :)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Neogaf 1v1 Tournament - Round 10 Matchup - The Finals

FromTheFuture (Alumnus.mosaic) P

vs

valenti (valenti.valenti) T

This is it, folks. Our 1v1 tournament has finally come down to the final match.

Both players will need to agree upon a set playtime and post the date and time of the match in this thread and the tournament thread. We need spectators. Lots and lots of spectators.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21078215&postcount=319

okno

Just when I thought I was really starting to get the hang of the game, I didn't. I'm so slow and I have a basic understanding of the build order for Terran, but I feel like I'm moving up the tiers too quickly and not expanding early enough which sets me back by several minutes, and we all know how much of a difference just five minutes can make...

So, on that note, would anyone care to help me out a little? I was hoping we could do some 2v2, or 1v1, if you'd rather, and show me a little how it's done... I know all of the units, how to get them, and what to do, but I need to work on my timing really, really, really badly.

Anyways, awesome game! When I'm at work, I count down the time until I can get back home and on bnet.

edit: also, just played a 1v1 game. I'm still doing my placement matches, and the damn game had me fight against a GOLD LEVEL player. wtf... Needless to say, he kicked my ass and annoyed the hell out of me. He rushed me pretty early on and killed and destroyed everything except like two SCVs, com. center, a refinery, and a supply depot, then would do it all over again once I started to build myself back up. I still put up a decent fight, but after the second rush I was totally screwed and surrendered once I was down to just one building.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Corran Horn said:
That be cool. Anyone here stream? I can but still trying to figure the best details with comcast and justin.tv

here is the last test:
http://www.justin.tv/corran666/b/263131870#&s=24
Not during a match though so I would prolly need to tune down the bitrate
I get a good stream going. I'll take another right now to test.
Maybe I can even commentate a bit :p

okno said:
Just when I thought I was really starting to get the hang of the game, I didn't. I'm so slow and I have a basic understanding of the build order for Terran, but I feel like I'm moving up the tiers too quickly and not expanding early enough which sets me back by several minutes, and we all know how much of a difference just five minutes can make...

So, on that note, would anyone care to help me out a little? I was hoping we could do some 2v2, or 1v1, if you'd rather, and show me a little how it's done... I know all of the units, how to get them, and what to do, but I need to work on my timing really, really, really badly.
Some starting timings:
3 rax: 6:15 have 3 tech lab mards pumping with the shell upgrade finished.
Fast Tank Viking: 7:05 have 6 marines, 2 tanks with seige, and a viking

ultron87

Note to self: Next time you play Zerg against a friend because you normally play Toss and your friend isn't very good remember to replace the drones you take from your mineral line to build stuff. That way you won't have a terrible economy for half the game and keep wondering why.

Edit: Also, the spawn larva button being changed to V really really messed me up having not played Zerg for a few weeks.

LaneDS

okno said:

Anyways, awesome game! When I'm at work, I count down the time until I can get back home and on bnet.

edit: also, just played a 1v1 game. I'm still doing my placement matches, and the damn game had me fight against a GOLD LEVEL player. wtf... Needless to say, he kicked my ass and annoyed the hell out of me. He rushed me pretty early on and killed and destroyed everything except like two SCVs, com. center, a refinery, and a supply depot, then would do it all over again once I started to build myself back up. I still put up a decent fight, but after the second rush I was totally screwed and surrendered once I was down to just one building.

It sounds like most of what is giving you problems can only be cured by just playing more or at least watching replays. Scout often, know what to counter with, get a feel for when an enemy is going to push and when they're going to sit back (i.e. know when to expand), keep an eye on expos... and just keep playing. You'll get better quick if you just keep slogging through the tough loses and the early rushes.

mcrae

ultron87 said:
Note to self: Next time you play Zerg against a friend because you normally play Toss and your friend isn't very good remember to replace the drones you take from your mineral line to build stuff. That way you won't have a terrible economy for half the game and keep wondering why.

Edit: Also, the spawn larva button being changed to V really really messed me up having not played Zerg for a few weeks.

its been v forever hasnt it?

either that or i get used to change far too easily

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
mcrae said:
its been v forever hasnt it?

either that or i get used to change far too easily
was 'r' until the last patch.
Here's a quick vid I did, I should cut the fps down by 2 or 3, cut the res a bit, and get a nicer less blocky image I think. Also upped the bandwidth a bit. (Will test stream these changes later).
*Or I can cut the FPS from 24/22 down to 12 like Corran did :lol

It was a good match, but I skipped the beginning since it was 9 minutes of not much happening besides some early ling pressure vs the Terran (me) and losing like 15 SCV's early on.

aznpxdd

ZealousD said:
Neogaf 1v1 Tournament - Round 10 Matchup - The Finals

FromTheFuture (Alumnus.mosaic) P

vs

valenti (valenti.valenti) T

This is it, folks. Our 1v1 tournament has finally come down to the final match.

Both players will need to agree upon a set playtime and post the date and time of the match in this thread and the tournament thread. We need spectators. Lots and lots of spectators.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21078215&postcount=319

Let me know...I'm not missing this shit.

Sigh..can they please release 3v3/4v4 already?

Chris R

2v2 with randoms is not good for my health :( I'm not good. I know that. I would just appreciate it if the partners I was blessed with didn't suck total ass. I'm talking pure shit. I'm a decent silver league player, but damn I'm going to be in the "Haven't won a single game yet" league after my next placement match. Idocity I've been witness to today include A Z player building 4 Hatchery buildings inside your main instead of expanding as well as a T player playing slow as hell teching straight to Ghost/Nukes after I've already done a DT harass while they had no invis detection. I ended up spending the last game I played trying a mass stalker/blink build that worked great, but 2v1.3 isn't a fair fight :(

Would you guys mind if we held it off for awhile? Not too long, of course. It's just I've been super busy and would like to practice for a bit beforehand. Wouldn't want to disappoint the viewers!

LaneDS

Winning against whiny racist homophobes is perhaps my favorite variety of win thus far.

I also like when they accuse you of map hacking, that's also fun.

Oh, and when the guys who tried to reaper rush and lose accuse you of being a bad player as you're wiping out their base, also that.

way more

I having an issue where the iMac shutdowns during game play. Is anyone else having this problem? It's a new comp but the upper right portion of the screen feels very hot to the touch.

Jokey665

mac said:
I having an issue where the iMac shutdowns during game play. Is anyone else having this problem? It's a new comp but the upper right portion of the screen feels very hot to the touch.
My (non-mac) laptop has this problem, and it's infuriating. I can usually get through about 20-30 minutes of play before it happens so I can usually play at least one game, but I'm super-pissed because it keeps happening in games where I'm close to winning or close to hopefully making a comeback. It's definitely an overheating issue for me. The parts for my desktop can't get here soon enough.

Wedge7

LaneDS said:
Winning against whiny racist homophobes is perhaps my favorite variety of win thus far.

I also like when they accuse you of map hacking, that's also fun.

Oh, and when the guys who tried to reaper rush and lose accuse you of being a bad player as you're wiping out their base, also that.

Hrm, this is probably a huge jack ass move, but I honestly dont care. Whenever people rage quit and just leave the game without a gg, I always follow it up with a msg 'lol?'. I'm probably just an ass, but it always kinda irritates me if you leave without gg. I dont care if it wasn't a good game, or if you screwed up, just say it. I make a point of saying it even when I'm pissed/made a mistake/get cheesed/whatever. I sort of understand it when guys who dont even do the customary gl hf stuff, but if you make the effort to say that at the beginning, at least just say gg and you leave.

Wedge7 said:
Hrm, this is probably a huge jack ass move, but I honestly dont care. Whenever people rage quit and just leave the game without a gg, I always follow it up with a msg 'lol?'. I'm probably just an ass, but it always kinda irritates me if you leave without gg. I dont care if it wasn't a good game, or if you screwed up, just say it. I make a point of saying it even when I'm pissed/made a mistake/get cheesed/whatever. I sort of understand it when guys who dont even do the customary gl hf stuff, but if you make the effort to say that at the beginning, at least just say gg and you leave.
This is the internet. Not exactly a polite, mannerly place. I'd suggest you don't worry about it. Really only the real players know to glhf/gg before and after a match.

Top Bottom