• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

What's a good strategy for 2v2 (Protoss)?

Should I wall off and tech? Mass up Tier one units and move out with partner? Fast expand?

I keep getting owned either way. I'm much better at 1v1. 2v2 just doesn't feel right to me.

watervengeance said:
What's a good strategy for 2v2 (Protoss)?

Should I wall off and tech? Mass up Tier one units and move out with partner? Fast expand?

I keep getting owned either way. I'm much better at 1v1. 2v2 just doesn't feel right to me.
If you're Protoss? What league are you in? Most of the time, you can just get away with massing the hell out of Stalkers.

isny

napkin dispenser
Yaweee said:
Close it, go to the SC2 directory and use the SC2switcher executable, to start the game without checking for version updates. There's a lot of posts on the boards about it.

Thanks so much guys <3

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
valenti said:
Ever since I been going a different build I'm just tearing it up lol. Goodbye marauders!
I thought we agreed not to use this unless you needed to.
Unless you made a TvT break though. :p

WORLDWIDEWII said:
I have a mac book pro with snow leopard and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256mb, and I just played SC2 beta with it and I'm very disappointed at my laptop that I can only run the game at LOW graphic setting... any way too boost the performance??? I wanted to play the game at max setting... =(

9400m is basically like integrated graphics, ie pretty low on the totem poll and although it has been said that the current mac client needs more optimization you're still pretty limited imho. sorry man

edit: here are the SC2 beta mac system requirements fwiw

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=24630623165&sid=3000

Meeru

Banned
Hazaro said:
I thought we agreed not to use this unless you needed to.
Unless you made a TvT break though. :p
Its not the build you used against Kamina. :p Also I realized I'm facing against wedge, not alumnus first lol

I've been doing what you guys said, going to support and then SC2switchable but it just shows a loading screen then kicks me out. It's killing me.

Ashhong

Lathentar said:
Anyone have issues with ATI 4800 cards having their display drivers constantly crash?

I've rolled back drivers, reinstalled SC2, updated Windows and DirectX. Nothing seems to work, I boot up and all that draws are the cursor and sometimes the loading bar.

Wait, SC2 is making your drivers crash? Does that end up crashing your whole computer? I have a 4870 and have been having some crashes but I thought my card was overheating or something. Big relief is it's just SC2 doing it to me..

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
This may sound rather sad but meh, im huge into watching other people play games, its actually why ill be buying sc2, more than playing (i will do the single player) so if any guys are planning on playing and wouldnt mind me watching that would be awesome :D. I just got the beta so im a little loose on what to actually do but im based in the EU (i here i may only be able to watch eu games live) and my identifier is

Frack.lespy

So yeah, I just pre-ordered on Amazon, so I'll be getting a beta key soon. I never really played SC1 but I'm still super hyped for this game. I wasn't great at Warcraft 3 if this is any indicator but I'm surely going to have fun in some way with this game. Be it by watching others play, custom maps or single player.

Kagami

Lathentar said:
Anyone have issues with ATI 4800 cards having their display drivers constantly crash?

I've rolled back drivers, reinstalled SC2, updated Windows and DirectX. Nothing seems to work, I boot up and all that draws are the cursor and sometimes the loading bar.
Ashhong said:
I have a 4870 and have been having some crashes but I thought my card was overheating or something. Big relief is it's just SC2 doing it to me..

My 5870 drivers are crashing occasionally when playing SC2. For me it seems to be less with 10.3 than with 10.4 (with 10.4, after a certain point in the game, it'd just crash, recover, crash, recover, crash, recover).

I too was thinking my card was overheating but I pulled up CCC to watch the Overdrive page while playing and it's not exceeding 70&#8451;.

Yaweee

Is there any way to make Straight Lines of terrain (like, straight cliffs) like you can in MS Paint by holding down things like Shift or CTRL?

Ashhong

WHY THE FUCK dont people in 2v2 communicate? WTF is wrong with you idiot. we got cannon proxied on scorched earth or w/e its called, and this idiot is just not even responding, keeps building fucking zealots instead of helping me go after the fucking probe. fuck you cthulu

Kagami said:
My 5870 drivers are crashing occasionally when playing SC2. For me it seems to be less with 10.3 than with 10.4 (with 10.4, after a certain point in the game, it'd just crash, recover, crash, recover, crash, recover).

I too was thinking my card was overheating but I pulled up CCC to watch the Overdrive page while playing and it's not exceeding 70&#8451;.

so your computer has been crashing then recovering? mine just crashes, and its not even during a game. its after a game and my temps are definitely not going too high.

LaneDS

Ashhong said:
WHY THE FUCK dont people in 2v2 communicate? WTF is wrong with you idiot. we got cannon proxied on scorched earth or w/e its called, and this idiot is just not even responding, keeps building fucking zealots instead of helping me go after the fucking probe. fuck you cthulu

Obvious but unless you play 2v2 with someone you know, that sort of thing is expected and unavoidable. I.e. don't do so if it's gonna get you upset.

Anyone want to play some 2v2 with me? I'm in the Bronze League for 1v1, and I'm only doing okay. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute something to the team.

My tag is barnabus.chai if you want to add me.

Yaweee

This is probably the most exciting match I've played in a long while:

http://www.mediafire.com/?z3m3mzwyyit

Protoss v Protoss on Scrap Station, both Platinum.

Ultimately, the game came down to the sentry force fields, I think. Goddamnit I hate Void Rays, but if they're the right unit choice I'll use them.

Meeru

Banned
nilbog21 said:
how bad do u want it? i got an extra one but i dont want to give it to someone who will play it a few times and quit
Yeah same its amazing how many gaffers post here but when you go online I only see like 5 on a evening night. Sadly I'm working right now so I dont know how many are on right now on a Saturday night.

btw I have 4 extra keys

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Ashhong said:
Wait, SC2 is making your drivers crash? Does that end up crashing your whole computer? I have a 4870 and have been having some crashes but I thought my card was overheating or something. Big relief is it's just SC2 doing it to me..
Its just SC2. Display drivers won't crash the whole computer in Vista. Basically the screen goes black for a bit, then the drivers reboot and the screen comes back until it crashes again. If it does that enough, SC2 will just crash.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
when someone rage quits, victory is automatically declared, right?

it would be pretty neat if they let you choose to just roll in and destroy the inactive enemy base just for the fun of it.

Jokey665

Rez said:
when someone rage quits, victory is automatically declared, right?

it would be pretty neat if they let you choose to just roll in and destroy the inactive enemy base just for the fun of it.
The victory screen shows up when your opponent leaves, but you can choose to return to game and go to town on their base if you feel like it anyway.

One thing that annoys me is that leaving the game extremely early on (like 1 or 2 minutes into the game) still counts as a loss. I remember the original Starcraft treated this as a draw if you left the game early enough.

Zaptruder

Banned
What are the chat commands during play?

I don't actually rage quit from 2v2, so much I don't know how to communicate with /all ... because it's not surprisingly enough /all text

Also, how do you respond to whispers and friend/party chat in game?

Zaptruder said:
What are the chat commands during play?

I don't actually rage quit from 2v2, so much I don't know how to communicate with /all ... because it's not surprisingly enough /all text

Also, how do you respond to whispers and friend/party chat in game?
You can use /r to respond to the last person who sent you a message (this includes conversations), press enter to make the text box show up and then use tab to shift through conversations/chats or you can use your in-game friends list to bring up the chat boxes.

Top Bottom