• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

dmann

Had the easiest win last night. Guy asks me 15 secs into the game if I was any good. I replied back with "no, I'm not good at all only bronze league". He responds with an "oh". A couple minutes later, the guy quits. I was still building so no attack, nothing. Afterwards, I checked his profile and he was in copper league. Guess he got scared? Easy wins, I'll take it. I still suck big time, but am gradually improving. Wish I had more time to play, kinda difficult to when u have to balance work, kids, and Starcraft.

NIN90

EU List:

fanboi --> fanboi.gaf
corum --> corum.corum
maniac-kun --> maniackun.gaf
Belgorim --> belgorim.alvar
Des0lar --> Desolar.darudin
msv --> msv.whaeva
raphier --> rainy.raphier
V_Arnold -> Oldern.gaf
Mr Cola --> Frack.lehat
zoukka -> zoukka.fin
FoxSpirit -> FoxSpirit.legacy
NIN90 -> NIN.gaf

barnone

I'm in the beta! I am utterly terrible though, as whenever I play RTSs I end up base building and never really focusing on the actual match. I've been watching some SC2 videos though and I really want to improve and have fun with some more casual-oriented players.

If there are any other total noobs that want to match up, feel free to add me: barnone.gaf. I'm AP testing/studying this week through next monday so I won't be on too much
if I study as much as I hope to

I really want to get better at macro'ing and become more aware of the "big picture" elements - any tips? I plan on being a terran player for the now.

Hey, I just got my beta key and I need some sort of Newbie guide or tutorial. I played one game against a human (which I "won" because he lagged out of the game) and one against the super-weak AI which I won too. I played Warcraft 3 quite a lot but I was never good at it.

I'm also taking the liberty of adding myself to the list:

EU list:
fanboi --> fanboi.gaf
corum --> corum.corum
msv --> msv.whaeva
V_Arnold -> Oldern.gaf
Mr Cola --> Frack.lehat
zoukka -> zoukka.fin
NIN90 -> NIN.gaf
close to the edge -> SoundChaser.soundchaser

cramcakes

Hopefully Amazon still has codes (the SC2 page still says they do) since I finally got around to preordering this morning. Can't wait to get my ass kicked. :D

dmann said:
Had the easiest win last night. Guy asks me 15 secs into the game if I was any good. I replied back with "no, I'm not good at all only bronze league". He responds with an "oh". A couple minutes later, the guy quits. I was still building so no attack, nothing. Afterwards, I checked his profile and he was in copper league. Guess he got scared? Easy wins, I'll take it. I still suck big time, but am gradually improving. Wish I had more time to play, kinda difficult to when u have to balance work, kids, and Starcraft.
It sounds like his internet just died, or his computer crashed.

My friend said the game runs terribly slow for him, even with all settings on LOW. He is using the Mac client. I know nothing about his system but do you guys have any tips?

Meeru

Banned
barnone said:
I'm in the beta! I am utterly terrible though, as whenever I play RTSs I end up base building and never really focusing on the actual match. I've been watching some SC2 videos though and I really want to improve and have fun with some more casual-oriented players.

If there are any other total noobs that want to match up, feel free to add me: barnone.gaf. I'm AP testing/studying this week through next monday so I won't be on too much
if I study as much as I hope to

I really want to get better at macro'ing and become more aware of the "big picture" elements - any tips? I plan on being a terran player for the now.
TvT is the most mind confusing mirror you will ever have..vikings, tanks..utterly ridiculous

Ferrio

Banned
Slacker said:
That part worked for me, but no one heard anything. I'll try it again tonight.

Me and my friend have yet to get voice chat to work. The bar on my portrait just goes crazy. I think it must still be pretty buggy. My mic works in all other games, so I know that's not the issue.

My friend said the game runs terribly slow for him, even with all settings on LOW. He is using the Mac client. I know nothing about his system but do you guys have any tips?

From what others have said in this thread, the mac client is horrible.

NIN90 said:
EU List:

fanboi --> fanboi.gaf
corum --> corum.corum
msv --> msv.whaeva
V_Arnold -> Oldern.gaf
Mr Cola --> Frack.lehat
zoukka -> zoukka.fin
NIN90 -> NIN.gaf

Subliminal -> Subliminal.fortytwo

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
valenti said:
TvT is the most mind confusing mirror you will ever have..vikings, tanks..utterly ridiculous

It's also the best mirror matchup for this very reason. No single strategy works best. Each TvT match is dynamic and interesting. Every unit in the Terran arsenal gets used.

Yaweee

ZealousD said:
It's also the best mirror matchup for this very reason. No single strategy works best. Each TvT match is dynamic and interesting. Every unit in the Terran arsenal gets used.

This is in comparison to the PvP mirror match, which I fucking despise with every single fucking fiber of my being. They're all "mixed T1/1.5 timing pushes out of 3+ Warpgates with a few immortals possibly mixed in, with a slight chance of sneaky sneaky Void Ray rushing". It's nearly enough for me to just stop playing P.

From what I hear, sentries might be getting a nerf (made more expensive), which is probably called for but leaves P more vulnerable to fast air. Part of the issue is how powerful Force Field is; perhaps a longer cooldown, shorter duration, or higher energy cost would be a more appropriate nerf?

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
man, I am going to need a new machine for this game. Got the beta last night, I have to run everything on low.

clav

The Lamonster said:
Is he trying to run the game on a Macbook (integrated Intel graphics card)?

I've been having issues running the game on a decent system.

Intel Dual Core Pentium E2160 overclocked to 3.0 GHz
4 GB DDR2-6400 RAM
1 GB 9800 GT ECO (does not quire external power connector)

A lot of people on the battle.net forums echo the same problems even with newer cards (i.e. Nvidia GTX 280). Nvidia probably fucked up somewhere (again).

Right now. The only setting with the least stuttering is on low. I play everything on the highest resolution, and it's very butter smooth.

Cheeto

Yaweee said:
This is in comparison to the PvP mirror match, which I fucking despise with every single fucking fiber of my being. They're all "mixed T1/1.5 timing pushes out of 3+ Warpgates with a few immortals possibly mixed in, with a slight chance of sneaky sneaky Void Ray rushing". It's nearly enough for me to just stop playing P.

From what I hear, sentries might be getting a nerf (made more expensive), which is probably called for but leaves P more vulnerable to fast air. Part of the issue is how powerful Force Field is; perhaps a longer cooldown, shorter duration, or higher energy cost would be a more appropriate nerf?
I'm no game designer but I feel that a 75 energy force field cost would be better than the current 50.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Due to popular demand (among fame hungry eu players) im streaming our "Gaf Night" in sc2 now,

http://www.justin.tv/hisnamewashat

Beware quality isnt immense and sound will go out when im alt tabbing but its good watching

msv

Yeaaaah mr frack is supahawesome!!

Watch as the RITE COMMENCES, BLOOD WILL BE SPILT

edit: ouch :( connection can't handle the upload?

JoeFu

Banned
Well I suck at SC, but I have the beta! Have yet to play against anybody, been playing practice matches with the stupid computers just to see what the new units are like. If anybody cares, my name thing is JoeFu.jayfizzle

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
yeah i think ill have to tinker with it, seems fine viewing the replays but when it involves online play it goes a bit to hell, ill sort it out a bit later :D

chris-013

EU List:

fanboi --> fanboi.gaf
corum --> corum.corum
msv --> msv.whaeva
V_Arnold -> Oldern.gaf
Mr Cola --> Frack.lehat
zoukka -> zoukka.fin
NIN90 -> NIN.gaf
Subliminal.fortytwo
banzai.banzai
ChrisXIII.fra

I'm still here but not playing a lot !

Yaweee

The Lamonster said:
I am really dying for a release date. Hope they announce it soon.

It won't get announced until the game goes Gold, or until the beta is essentially in its final stage. That's just how Blizzard does things. The game is done when it is done, and though they might have a tentative date in mind, there's still a lot that can go wrong in the Beta (more balance issues, the implementation of 3v3, 4v4, chat rooms, map publishing, that "Help" interface button, and assorted bugs and interface polish), and maybe even the upcoming integration of battle.net with World of Warcraft (which is the point of that Real ID nonsense, so you can have inter-game friends and messaging).

Slacker

Last night I was playing a TvP game and while I was just getting set up around 10 supply (had barracks and 1st supply depot going up), a Protoss drone wandered in to my base and built extractors on both of my vespene supplies. Bastard! Is that the new Zergling Rush for the Prots? Along with the Reaper Rush for the Terrans, I guess all three races have their cheap move now. :D

zoukka

Can't ever seem to have time to get into GAF games. Oh well...

I did however climb 40 ranks Gold just by focusing on speedlings early on. In the current meta fast expanding is very risky.

Yaweee

Slacker said:
Last night I was playing a TvP game and while I was just getting set up around 10 supply (had barracks and 1st supply depot going on, a Protoss drone wandered in to my base and built extractors on both of my vespene supplies. Bastard! Is that the new Zergling Rush for the Prots? Along with the Reaper Rush for the Terrans, I guess all three races have their cheap move now. :D

Yes, the Assimilator trick is fairly common. In fact, it was also in SC1, which is one of the reasons why they changed to a two-geyser design in SC2. Chase the probes out of your base, and if he manages to place an Assimilator on one of your geysers, make sure you immediately start building on the other so you can have at least one geyser available right away.

aznpxdd

Wait, you guys honestly care if someone says gg or not? I couldn't give less shit if someone doesn't say gg at the end of games, infact, I love it when BM players start talking shit after they lose. I rarely say gg if I lose (especially not to random players), and I don't consider that rage quitting at all. I've played SC for 10 years, and I don't ever remembering not saying gg considers rage quitting.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Even after like 2 months of this beta, Marauders are still breaking this game. What the fuck, Blizzard. Give Terran a reason to fucking tech.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
aznpxdd said:
Wait, you guys honestly care if someone says gg or not? I couldn't give less shit if someone doesn't say gg at the end of games, infact, I love it when BM players start talking shit after they lose. I rarely say gg if I lose (especially not to random players), and I don't consider that rage quitting at all. I've played SC for 10 years, and I don't ever remembering not saying gg considers rage quitting.

Saying "gg" at the end is just common Starcraft etiquette. It's the standard when you're at higher levels. Thus, not saying it is interpreted as bm. Most people I play against even at the gold level say it. Blizzard even programmed the AI to gg at the end of a match!

Man, I'm starting to hate this game more and more. Every game devolves into the same exact thing, every time, and everything is starting to feel very wrong. Maybe what everyone else is saying is finally getting to me. I don't know anymore.

The Lamonster said:
what's bm?
Bad manner(ed)

Yaweee

The Lamonster said:
what's bm?

BM = Bad Manner (i.e. a rude and pissy player).
GM = Good Manner
GG = good game (duh)

ZealousD said:
Saying "gg" at the end is just common Starcraft etiquette. It's the standard when you're at higher levels. Thus, not saying it is interpreted as bm. Most people I play against even at the gold level say it. Blizzard even programmed the AI to gg at the end of a match!

It's about 50-50 as to whether players say GG at Gold/Platinum, but I think it is a rather dumb thing to be concerned with, and also kind of dumb to think that not saying it is somehow BM. Trust me, there's tons more nastier shit to say or do that is far more deserving of the BM title, things that happen pretty regularly.

FromTheFuture said:
Man, I'm starting to hate this game more and more. Every game devolves into the same exact thing, every time, and everything is starting to feel very wrong. Maybe what everyone else is saying is finally getting to me. I don't know anymore.

That's the biggest balance problem with the game right. With regards to game saminess Protoss > Terran > Zerg. T1/1.5 units are so powerful that you can get away with using them almost exclusively, even in decently long games. Early units are pretty much everything for Protoss (exacerbated by how fantastic Warpgates are), and the basic MM ball is the most prominent strategy for Terrans. Zerg easily have the most options and unit diversification (Brood Lords and maybe Ultralisks are the only units that I don't regularly see in 1v1).

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
-COOLIO- said:
let's not forget that a lot of beta players are brand new to rts' and might not even know what gg means.
or not sure how to type!

my first 10~ 2v2s I didint know how to talk to ALL :lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
As a relative SC newb, I must say I really hate a lot of the lingo and abbreviations that have spawned over the years. When you are typing up a post about strategies, is it that hard to type Barracks over "Rax", Marine over "Rine", etc... so people who haven't been following Starcraft hardcore for the last decade can follow what you are saying? I have spent some time looking things up and mostly understand the lingo, but I still find it a bit hard to follow when people say things like "6 proxy rax rine rush".

Is it really that hard to type things out? Seriously? I wonder if I am in the minority here by being annoyed by this type of thing.

mcrae

Zefah said:
As a relative SC newb, I must say I really hate a lot of the lingo and abbreviations that have spawned over the years. When you are typing up a post about strategies, is it that hard to type Barracks over "Rax", Marine over "Rine", etc... so people who haven't been following Starcraft hardcore for the last decade can follow what you are saying? I have spent some time looking things up and mostly understand the lingo, but I still find it a bit hard to follow when people say things like "6 proxy rax rine rush".

Is it really that hard to type things out? Seriously? I wonder if I am in the minority here by being annoyed by this type of thing.

i think the vast majority of people looking up strategies know lingo though, no?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Zefah said:

It takes a bit to learn the lingo but eventually its not to hard to figure out what the phrases mean. I had to learn all the phrases at the start of the beta since the last time I hardcore played SC1 was before I knew of these terms

Top Bottom