• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Yaweee

w3stfa11 said:
Just got into the beta after preordering the game a couple days ago.

Played two placement matches thus far. Lost the first one to a better void ray rush than mine. Beat the second barely by pumping out zeals and stalkers using a proxy gateway. I'll probably be up late tomorrow playing it if anyone wants to join.

joga.theghost (North America)

PS Is it just me or is Terran overpowered?

It is just you. Aside from some slight issues with Reapers on small maps right now, things are mostly balanced between the races. The issue is that the Marine/Marauder/Medivac clump is rather easy to pull off and and will plow through people that don't know what they are doing.

Pachinko

Anyone else getting the
ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005)
occurred at 0023:65107AA0. The memory at '0x700423BF' could not be written.

crash ? I didn't start getting it until basically today. In fact I've had a problem free beta until now, it's suddenly become almost completely unplayable for me. According to the beta forums it should have opened a crash log program to send off the crash report but it never did, I still have the report , it's just stuck on my pc.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
w3stfa11 said:
Stick with one race initially. Play against the computer (create a game, choose AI) until you get a feel for the units and gameplay. Then just play, watch replays, and learn.

http://sclegacy.com/editorials/103-starcraft-ii-beta/646-starcraft-ii-ui-tips-and-tricks
http://sclegacy.com/articles/677-scl-beta-zerg-guide

Thanks alot for the tips! I played a few games in the beta as the Terran but I have been having trouble with air units. I will have to try the zerg, always thought they looked cool. its alot of fun so far!:D Day one purchase for me

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Is there any reason to get Ultralisks when Brood Lords basically do the same job, but better?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
ZealousD said:
Is there any reason to get Ultralisks when Brood Lords basically do the same job, but better?
Your opponent was being a prick and you wanted to rub it in.

Swag

Is there any way to fix the game crash on load, my game crashes the moment it gets to the planet back drop page

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
ZealousD said:
ultralisks do more damage to buildings, have splash damage, and are faster.

there are other things to consider, such as range, cost, supply, and build time though.

all depends on what you're trying to do at the particular time.

but i don't understand how they "basically do the same job".

fanboi

Banned
Need hotkey suggestion:

Today:

1-3 units 4 all hatch

Pro: Simplistic, hard to do wrong, easy to build alot of units.

Cons: microing queens might be hard and other macro based things

I want to use 1-3 units 4-9 hatch and 0 all hatch...

Pro: You will be a pro when mastering it.

Cons: Alot of shit is going on... easy to fuck up? I dunno.

Halp

ZealousD

Scrow said:
but i don't understand how they "basically do the same job".

Ultralisks - Tear up groups of ground units, buildings. Can burrow.

Brood Lords - Tear up groups of ground targets even better than Ultras due to broodlings, screws with unit AI - forcing micro. Incredibly long range means well-suited to taking out static defenses and provide better defense when complimented with a ground force. Being an air unit means they have fewer counters, and counters that do exist can be semi-nullified with Corrupters, which compliment ANY Brood Lord force.

A small force of brood lords turns the entire game around on its head. Ultras simply do not have the same power.

Ferrio

Banned
So played about 10 games with my 2v2 buddy. Previous of tonight we were 50-50 in our wins/losses. Tonight we only lost one game. I must say I really *really* underestimated DTs in a 2v2 game. Almost every game they were integral to our win. Either from defending against an attack on us when they had no detection, to dropping/warping into their mineral line and tearing them apart. Seems no one really expects them since they're not used that often.

ZealousD

fanboi said:
Need hotkey suggestion:

Here's what I do.

1-4: Units

5 or 6: All hatch

7-0: Queens. Use mouse click on hotkey buttons to select. Double clicking centers view onto the queen.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
I really am depressed at how worthless Ultras are, I don't think there's a unit that sees less usage.

And what zealous said with regard to hotkeys for zerg, that's more or less what I do. I normally have an overseer bound to 4.

If you feel like being super awesome, you can add the hatch the queen is injecting to her control group as well: select group, tab to queen, v, click hatch wireframe. This allows you to inject without moving your camera, but requires some decent apm to make it worth it.

Ferrio

Banned
Procarbine said:
I really am depressed at how worthless Ultras are, I don't think there's a unit that sees less usage.

I've seen only 2 archons in the dozens and dozens of games I've played. Going to say they're tied with ultras.

LaneDS

Procarbine said:

And what zealous said with regard to hotkeys for zerg, that's more or less what I do. I normally have an overseer bound to 4.

If you feel like being super awesome, you can add the hatch the queen is injecting to her control group as well: select group, tab to queen, v, click hatch wireframe. This allows you to inject without moving your camera, but requires some decent apm to make it worth it.

I've seen more Ultralisks than I have Archons, but yes, I agree, it needs some love. Zerg in general could use some late game toys, I feel spoiled as a Protoss player between the Mothership, Colossi (not really late game, but still pretty damn awesome) and good old fashioned Carriers.

fanboi

Banned
Procarbine said:

In my 100+ games I haven't built one Ultra... thats how useless they are.

I will try bind queens to those keys and keep 4 as all hatch (and add a overseer! niiice).
I don't think I have the apm to tab queen and inject... maybe later.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Ferrio said:
I've seen only 2 archons in the dozens and dozens of games I've played. Going to say they're tied with ultras.

I see pros make them after they dump HT energy in bad situations, but even HT usage is going down. Collossi seem to do the job for ground just as well, if not better.

fanboi: Yeah, I always send an overseer to hang out in a safe-ish spot near my enemy's main, dropping in changelings from time to time. Also nice to have when attacking in case of cloaked units, but if you're scouting regularly (thanks to the overseer!) you should be able to prepare accordingly. Be careful with it though, as a 150/100 unit that provides 8 supply, it sucks to lose em.

fanboi said:
Need hotkey suggestion:

Today:

1-3 units 4 all hatch

Pro: Simplistic, hard to do wrong, easy to build alot of units.

Cons: microing queens might be hard and other macro based things

I want to use 1-3 units 4-9 hatch and 0 all hatch...

Pro: You will be a pro when mastering it.

Cons: Alot of shit is going on... easy to fuck up? I dunno.

Halp

Why do you guys bind your things so far away?

I go simplistic,

1 units, all units except mutas since you often have them doing very specific things like harassing attacking very specific targets, learn to use Tab to shift between subgroups of units.
2 secondary units/ flanking groups. Exception to 1 being all units is later in a game where the advantage can go my way where I can flank my opponant
3 queen located at main hatchery/first base
4 All Hatcheries
5 queen located at expansion
6 queen located at second expansion

I can quickly double tap 3 which centers the view on my unit, slide my finger down to V for spawn larvae ability click hatchery next to him and repeat with 5 and 6 if i need to all in less then 10 seconds. 4 then S for select larvae to select all your larvae and make whatever I need at the moment.

Seriously though, Tab is really important, learn to use it well.

Ashhong

i usually do 1 nexus, 2 warpgates, 3-whatever units. if i bind the units together or separately depends on my needs. i dont know why i see everyone do their nexus/hatch at 5

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Man, I got really pissed yesterday... :lol I'm going to give it a try now.

Is it a good idea to give my spare key to my cousin and play together? He's kind of new too, will both of us learn this way or is it completely pointless?

fanboi

Banned
Yoshichan said:
Man, I got really pissed yesterday... :lol I'm going to give it a try now.

Is it a good idea to give my spare key to my cousin and play together? He's kind of new too, will both of us learn this way or is it completely pointless?

yes!

Practice against each other... also, focus on ONE race and get good with em.

Xater

Ok I am having trouble downloading the Mac client. The downloader shows me that there are no problems and then after a while I just get the message that the tracker is not responding. I don't know what to do, since I can't even post in the Beta forums because I don't have a Starcraft 2 character.

Corum

Xater said:
Ok I am having trouble downloading the Mac client. The downloader shows me that there are no problems and then after a while I just get the message that the tracker is not responding. I don't know what to do, since I can't even post in the Beta forums because I don't have a Starcraft 2 character.

There's an option in one of the menus of the downloader to disable Peer-to-Peer (I think!) to just download through HTTP.

Ashhong

is there a way to line up attack commands? similar to shift+click? i tried shift clicking A on probes, but instead of clicking on the units, it just registers the click onto the ground. i want my harassing banshees to target the probes and not other things

Xater

Corum said:
There's an option in one of the menus of the downloader to disable Peer-to-Peer (I think!) to just download through HTTP.

Ok that doesn't work either. I just tried downloading the Windows version and that works flawlessly. WTF Blizzard? I want to try out the Mac beta.

Edit: Ok seems like it works on my Macboob but not on my iMac. I have no idea what the problem is...

fanboi

Banned
Ashhong said:
is there a way to line up attack commands? similar to shift+click? i tried shift clicking A on probes, but instead of clicking on the units, it just registers the click onto the ground. i want my harassing banshees to target the probes and not other things

I think shift+a+click works, not sure though.

FoxSpirit

Yes, shift(hold), press 'a' and multiclicking works.

Alternatively, you can shift right click units to attack them, that saves you pressing 'a' :D

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
In an Protoss army (me) against terran, what should I have?

Zealots (tons)
Sentries (some, gas cost ;_;)
Stalkers (some)

This is usually the only kind of army I have :( What should I get more?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yoshichan said:

Zealots (tons)
Stalkers (some)

Your typical army against terran should look like (from early to late):

Zealot/Sentry/Stalker
Zealot/Sentry/Stalker/Immortal
Zealot/Sentry/Stalker/Immortal/Colossi or HT

The thing is you should never make more zealots than is necessary to use up extra minerals or idle warp gates. Even then, you should put those minerals toward expansion/extra warp gates.They simply arent that good against terran until you get charge. The bulk of your force should be sentries/stalkers. More stalkers than sentries on average, but it never hurts to have extra sentries for a safe retreat. Make Immortal as long as the terran isn't going air or mass marine. Colossi must have thermal lance upgrade, HT must have storm upgrade.

You can also consider quick tech to 2 void ray. To do this you must keep the stargates out of sight, and keep a probe in their base long enough or somewhere halfway to see if they're rushing you with rines/rauders. Even then you can warp in a sentry or two to block the ramp. Make sure to use chrono the moment void rays start building. You might want to stockpile gas/minerals/energy so you can pump them out fulltime the moment stargate goes up.

Ashhong

FoxSpirit said:
Yes, shift(hold), press 'a' and multiclicking works.

Alternatively, you can shift right click units to attack them, that saves you pressing 'a' :D

that didnt work..are you sure? i did that, i could see the shift-line, showing where to attack next, but no matter where i clicked on the unit it for some reason kept clicking the ground. i know i was pressing on the probe and not the ground...

however it was being shot at from behind by a stalker i think. if it gets attacked does it stop what i told it to do and defend itself? and i thought right click doesnt engage...

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Yoshichan said:

Zealots (tons)
Stalkers (some)

there's really no definitive answer to this. you need to produce units that counter whatever your terran opponent has.

the only real definite in a PvT battle is to have a few sentries for guardian shield (reduces ranged damage). ALL of the terran damage, even from the first units they produce (MMs), is ranged.

and even if we gave you a definitive list of hard counters for each unit, it changes as the game progresses and army composition becomes more diverse.

Marines -> Zealots, Sentries, Stalkers
Marauders -> Zealots (esp. with charge)
Reapers -> Sentries, Stalkers
Hellion -> Stalkers
Siege Tanks -> Zealots (if the siege tanks are targeting the zealots at melee range, the tank's own splash damage will kill itself), Immortals (hardened shield is amazing)

Overly simplified list, but maybe it'll help your early/mid game. Beyond that it starts getting fairly complicated.

Yoshichan

Thanks guys! Where can I find charge for zealots?

Yoshichan

Cheeto said:
It's researched at the Twilight Council
Thanks! Oh, and what's the point of getting 2x Assimilators as Protoss if they're both next to each other? Do I get x2 more gas or what?

chris-013

Yoshichan said:

Zealots (tons)
Stalkers (some)

Immortal than maybe colossus or HT.
You can use DT too but you need to be stealthy with the dark shrine.

Cheeto

Yoshichan said:
Thanks! Oh, and what's the point of getting 2x Assimilators as Protoss if they're both next to each other? Do I get x2 more gas or what?
Yea, you'll effectively be gaining gas at twice the rate and receiving twice the total that a single geyser would allow

fanboi

Banned
Yoshichan said:

You have to place three workers at both assimilators to maximize the gas per minuet.

chris-013

Yoshichan said:

Yes, make one gas after your first Gateway than second after the Cybernetics core.

Yoshichan

Gotcha! So I shouldn't have more than 3 workers per assimalator? So 6 workers for 2 places?

9 Pylon
10 chrono boost your next 3 probes
13 Gateway
14 Assimilator
16 Pylon
Cybercore
Assimilator
2 Gateway
Twilight Council + Charge + Blink

Should I put the TC earlier or what? When exactly should I start spawning zealots? Why should I NOT upgrade all the gateways to warpgates?

Sorry for all the questions :(

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Yoshichan said:
Should I put the TC earlier or what?
depends what your plan is and what your opponent is doing. i personally like to get TC asap to research blink so i can backdoor to their main and harass economy or take out a key tech building.

Yoshichan said:
When exactly should I start spawning zealots?
as fast as possible to defend against rushes or to do your own rush on the opponent's base. you want at least 3 zealots on the choke before you tech up and produce other units.

Yoshichan said:
Why should I NOT upgrade all the gateways to warpgates?
if your plan is to NOT use gateway units extensively. perhaps your plan is to go a heavy robo build, so why bother wasting time and resources on warpgates?
though i can't see why you'd ever want to do that... warpgates are amazing. you should almost always upgrade your gateways to warpgates

it all depends on what your game plan is.

Procarbine said:
I see pros make them after they dump HT energy in bad situations, but even HT usage is going down. Collossi seem to do the job for ground just as well, if not better.

I want to use HTs, I really do. Storm is so awesome. But when I already have a robo sitting there from my observer and knowing how ridiculously slow HTs are I go the colossi route every single time.

Top Bottom